Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

The two main times I appreciate my QHD+ resolution on my 13 inch laptop: remoting in to any device with a display res > 1080p, looking at and manipulating images

These are just my two examples that I frequently use. Multitasking with the higher res is a little nicer too. More screen pixels = more battery usage, that would be your downside. Also, in the case of my laptop, getting teh QHD+ screen meant you had no choice but to take a touch screen, which added gorilla glass/some weight to my model

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I'll take the con.

Windows is mostly dreadful at scaling; the only way it ever works is to have everything at 100% so FHD is it for a 14".
It also helps for being able to play the odd game at a native res instead of scaled.
Multitasking is no better on QHD unless you're running that at 100% which more power to ya, but is a bit crazy.
Presentations and multi-monitor setups are usually easier when your internal screen is FHD.
Minor battery life improvement from FHD screen.

SebAndSeb
Apr 23, 2007

hello
Hmm thanks, yeah I think I'd be happy with FHD, just that sometimes the only option with the i7 models is 4K... any thoughts on i5 vs i7 (1135G7 vs 1185G7 to be specific)? i5s have always been fine in the desktops I've had for the last decade or so, not sure if that's a good reference for a laptop though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

ilkhan posted:

Any suggestions for a solid tbolt 4 eGPU enclosure? Don't need super max performance, I'll probably stick an RTX3070 or thereabouts in it. Maybe just an RTX3060ti class.

Do these even exist yet

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Do these even exist yet

The GPUs definitely don't :v:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I used all my good luck for the year and got a 3060ti at MSRP in January.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Over the weekend while unpacking from my move, I found my Razer Blade I had written off as dead. My company purchased it for me and the thing fried itself from the inside out. Or so I thought. I plugged in the wrong AC Adapter on a complete accident and it booted up for the first time in 3 years.

After I clean all the dust out so it no longer sounds like a jet engine, I'd like to do a fresh install of Win10.

The move killed my PC. It boots, but I can't get any signal out to a monitor. DVI, HDMI, 6 ports--nada. I have a full retail copy of Win10 with the USB and key. What's the process of transferring that license to the Razer Blade? Google has provided me an idea of what's possible (or not) but there are quite a few conflicting and none I've found with my exact situation.

If this is even possible, how do I go about removing the license to the PC with no input to a monitor. I could remove the SSD of course but my only other devices are a Macbook Pro and the Razer Blade, which has its own version of Win10, but came installed and I'd assume my IT department holds the key. Asking them is out of the question as they'll remember I have the Blade. It doesn't look like I can find the key within the Blade, right?

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

What's a good laptop to play counterstrike go really good and basic stuff like youtube and fb and all the internet smoothly? Around 250 to 300 price range.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Spacegrass posted:

What's a good laptop to play counterstrike go really good and basic stuff like youtube and fb and all the internet smoothly? Around 250 to 300 price range.

For CSGO you’re going to want to bump up the price range so you can get something with a dedicated GPU. Just watched some benchmarks of it with the N4000 processor/UHD 600 integrated graphics you’ll find at the 300 dollar range and it was really poor performance, like sub-30 fps a lot of the time with everything set to low.

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

Thanks.

Spacegrass fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 16, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The Dell outlet usually has deals that should work for you, I got a G3 with a 1050ti from there for like 450 two years ago, which would be something similar spec-wise to what you’re looking for.

E: laptops with the AMD Vega 8 integrated GPUs are looking much better on benchmark videos, you may be able to get away with something like this:

Lenovo IdeaPad 3 14" Laptop, 14.0" FHD 1920 x 1080 Display, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U Processor, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, AMD Radeon Vega 8 Graphics, Narrow Bezel, Windows 10, 81W0003QUS, Abyss Blue https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0862269YP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_PG34P31DW54BCTTBSEPJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

But I wouldn’t go lower spec than that if you want to play 3D games.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 16, 2021

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

96 spacejam posted:

I'd like to do a fresh install of Win10.

[...]I have a full retail copy of Win10 with the USB and key. What's the process of transferring that license to the Razer Blade? Google has provided me an idea of what's possible (or not) but there are quite a few conflicting and none I've found with my exact situation.

If this is even possible, how do I go about removing the license to the PC with no input to a monitor.
This all dates from when Windows 10 first came out, but I haven't seen anything that has lead me to believe it's fundamentally changed. Retail license you just installed to a new computer and as long as you decomissioned the old one, things would be fine. OEM license, if you had the key, you installed to a new computer, it wouldn't activate, you called the activation hotline, did the wink wink spiel that this was a new motherboard in the same old computer and they'd activate you. It was only the special digital license you got from upgrading a Windows 7 or 8 install to 10 that had no (real) key and was initially non-transferrable, but where later a process was devised to let you do it if you let yourself be suckered into attaching it to a Microsoft account because that mattered more to them. It's all that poo poo that's gumming up the search results.

In your place I'd definitely give just fresh installing to the new computer with your retail key a shot. This here site suggests wiping the old hard drive in the old computer to make sure it's impossible any activation calls will be coming from it should you give or sell the computer to someone else. You can instead just cripple the old install by deleting the Windows folder or something and still have access to the rest of your files on it if that suits you better. Just as long as you can't boot into it anymore.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

96 spacejam posted:

The move killed my PC. It boots, but I can't get any signal out to a monitor. DVI, HDMI, 6 ports--nada. I have a full retail copy of Win10 with the USB and key. What's the process of transferring that license to the Razer Blade? Google has provided me an idea of what's possible (or not) but there are quite a few conflicting and none I've found with my exact situation.

If this is even possible, how do I go about removing the license to the PC with no input to a monitor. I could remove the SSD of course but my only other devices are a Macbook Pro and the Razer Blade, which has its own version of Win10, but came installed and I'd assume my IT department holds the key. Asking them is out of the question as they'll remember I have the Blade. It doesn't look like I can find the key within the Blade, right?

Windows 7 or 10 licenses can be found so cheaply from SA-mart or eBay that it's not worth the hassle, just get a new one. That way if you manage to figure out what is wrong with your computer it will still have a working license.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I have yet to have microsoft reject any of my old licenses that I've been using for years. I have a windows 8 pro license code that I've reused at least 10 times now for windows 10 across various machines and VMs

Your mileage may vary

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Yup, I've also found Microsoft has come a long way from the XP days in terms of letting you re-use keys. Most likely just reinstalling it will work fine.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I'm looking to replace my current laptop (Lenovo Yoga 720-15IKB w/GeForce 1050, 7700HQ, 16GB) with a new system. The Yoga will go to my spouse and I use this laptop occasionally at home but mostly at work for both business stuff and *other* stuff.

Most of my gaming on it has been things like Kenshi, XCOM 2, and an assortment of other turn-based games. Nothing too heavy graphics-wise most of the time, though XCOM 2 did start to struggle with the mods I had. From looking at the prices of things I'm kinda leaning towards a 3060 or 3070 platform. I've got access to Costco but I'd kinda prefer for whatever I get to be eligible for 12-month same as cash so Best Buy is an option. I was looking at the ASUS laptop at Best Buy with the 2060, but that just went up in price by ~$200 I believe, so it's not all that much cheaper than a 3060 platform.

Oh yeah, nothing bigger than 15.6"

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 17, 2021

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
Can anyone point me in the right direction for 14" or 15" laptops that have really solid CPU performance, at least 32 gb of RAM (or at least the option to expand it myself) and lots of solid state storage but without really insane graphics card or any of the gross "gamer" branding that so frequently goes hand in hand with those things?

I basically need to tell my company what new work laptop I want and after working from home on my 32gb of RAM home machine with a Ryzen 7 3700X I can't go back to using my old piece of poo poo 17" Dell Inspiron they bought me before I joined the company. I'm not tied to AMD but it seems like all the new hotness is AMD these days even in the laptop world?

All my work is really RAM and CPU intensive (heavy duty IDE's, virtual machines, etc) and none of it is heavy on the graphics card so I'm not really interested in spending the money for a card I never use.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Taerkar posted:

I'm looking to replace my current laptop (Lenovo Yoga 720-15IKB w/GeForce 1050, 7700HQ, 16GB) with a new system. The Yoga will go to my spouse and I use this laptop occasionally at home but mostly at work for both business stuff and *other* stuff.

Most of my gaming on it has been things like Kenshi, XCOM 2, and an assortment of other turn-based games. Nothing too heavy graphics-wise most of the time, though XCOM 2 did start to struggle with the mods I had. From looking at the prices of things I'm kinda leaning towards a 3060 or 3070 platform. I've got access to Costco but I'd kinda prefer for whatever I get to be eligible for 12-month same as cash so Best Buy is an option. I was looking at the ASUS laptop at Best Buy with the 2060, but that just went up in price by ~$200 I believe, so it's not all that much cheaper than a 3060 platform.

Oh yeah, nothing bigger than 15.6"

Budget?

I'd say the Asus G15/G14 is the best bet there. If you can get a 2060 cheap that would be fine but like you said that's becoming rare. The HP 3060s are also pretty affordable. You lose some build quality from the Asus but they are still real solid.

PoopShipDestroyer posted:

Can anyone point me in the right direction for 14" or 15" laptops that have really solid CPU performance, at least 32 gb of RAM (or at least the option to expand it myself) and lots of solid state storage but without really insane graphics card or any of the gross "gamer" branding that so frequently goes hand in hand with those things?

I basically need to tell my company what new work laptop I want and after working from home on my 32gb of RAM home machine with a Ryzen 7 3700X I can't go back to using my old piece of poo poo 17" Dell Inspiron they bought me before I joined the company. I'm not tied to AMD but it seems like all the new hotness is AMD these days even in the laptop world?

All my work is really RAM and CPU intensive (heavy duty IDE's, virtual machines, etc) and none of it is heavy on the graphics card so I'm not really interested in spending the money for a card I never use.

Are you leaning heavy into Ryzen? Most of the business line still have Intel. If Intel is fine I'd look at Thinkpads, maybe HP's line. If you want Ryzen its a lotta gamer laptops, but they aren't all RGB hell. Asus line, HP line and Gigabyte all have models that look fine.

For non-gamery at all, maybe this Thinkpad?
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-p/P14s-AMD-G1/p/20Y1S00D00
The 4750 Ryzen but has 32GB right out of the gate.

Or a HP Probook, you can customize it out to 32GB/5800 which is pretty beefy
https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/ConfigureView?langId=-1&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&catEntryId=3074457345619920321&urlLangId=&quantity=1

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Lockback posted:

Budget?

I'd say the Asus G15/G14 is the best bet there. If you can get a 2060 cheap that would be fine but like you said that's becoming rare. The HP 3060s are also pretty affordable. You lose some build quality from the Asus but they are still real solid.

I've got a soft-ish cap at $1500, depending on if there's financing options. To my knowledge the 3060 laptops *should* be better than a comparable 2060 and I'm not really seeing all that much of a price difference between them from my searching about.

Edit: How good is this HP Omen?.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 17, 2021

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

Lockback posted:

Budget?

Are you leaning heavy into Ryzen? Most of the business line still have Intel. If Intel is fine I'd look at Thinkpads, maybe HP's line. If you want Ryzen its a lotta gamer laptops, but they aren't all RGB hell. Asus line, HP line and Gigabyte all have models that look fine.

For non-gamery at all, maybe this Thinkpad?
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-p/P14s-AMD-G1/p/20Y1S00D00
The 4750 Ryzen but has 32GB right out of the gate.

Or a HP Probook, you can customize it out to 32GB/5800 which is pretty beefy
https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/ConfigureView?langId=-1&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&catEntryId=3074457345619920321&urlLangId=&quantity=1

I'm not particularly invested in Ryzen, I just really like the performance I get out of mine at home. If Intel processors can deliver similar power then I don't really care either way. I'll take a look at the 2 you linked there for the moment.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
The XPS 15 could be another viable option, though it's in the awkward position of having a Tiger Lake upgrade announced, but not yet in place. It's also all USB-C if that ends up being a problem.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Taerkar posted:

I've got a soft-ish cap at $1500, depending on if there's financing options. To my knowledge the 3060 laptops *should* be better than a comparable 2060 and I'm not really seeing all that much of a price difference between them from my searching about.

Edit: How good is this HP Omen?.

Omen is the "good bang for your buck", especially if you want that 3070. Follow the instructions here and get a R7 5800 instead of the i7 though.
https://slickdeals.net/f/14977022-h...teSearchV2Algo1

I'm not particularly invested in Ryzen, I just really like the performance I get out of mine at home. If Intel processors can deliver similar power then I don't really care either way. I'll take a look at the 2 you linked there for the moment.

I think going to Intel on a laptop in your situation would be a step down, but it sorta depends on what you're doing.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Lockback posted:

Omen is the "good bang for your buck", especially if you want that 3070. Follow the instructions here and get a R7 5800 instead of the i7 though.
https://slickdeals.net/f/14977022-h...teSearchV2Algo1

Yeah, I've been looking at that, though the lack of financing is a big bummer, esp. since I'd have to wait a month + for it.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
looks like i'm finally having to get serious about a new laptop. I'm currently using a garbage chromebook, google's cutting updates for it next month and the power converter just ruptured. Any recommendations? i want a windows laptop, but i don't use it for any gaming or heavy-duty work, just needs to run like discord and spotify and a browser and run cool enough to be used in bed. Lowest possible pricepoint as I am top tier broke.

Trier fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 17, 2021

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Trier posted:

looks like i'm finally having to get serious about a new laptop. I'm currently using a garbage chromebook, google's cutting updates for it next month and the power converter just ruptured. Any recommendations? i want a windows laptop, but i don't use it for any gaming or heavy-duty work, just needs to run like discord and spotify and a browser and run cool enough to be used in bed.

Budget idea? I like the Lenova Flex which you can get for ~$600 typically well specced. It's a laptop that'll fold up like a tablet, usually get good battery life and the Ryzen CPU really outpeforms it's price range. That's kinda my go-to "Cheap but not cheap" suggestion.

Microcenter has the Macbook Air M1's for $850, those have ridiculously long battery lives and are fanless, but that obv isn't a windows machine. It'll do the rest of the stuff though.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie

Lockback posted:

Budget idea? I like the Lenova Flex which you can get for ~$600 typically well specced. It's a laptop that'll fold up like a tablet, usually get good battery life and the Ryzen CPU really outpeforms it's price range. That's kinda my go-to "Cheap but not cheap" suggestion.

Microcenter has the Macbook Air M1's for $850, those have ridiculously long battery lives and are fanless, but that obv isn't a windows machine. It'll do the rest of the stuff though.

i've noticed laptop prices seem a little wild, how long has 600$ been "cheap"? I paid like 350 for my chromebook in 2016.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Chromebooks can still be in the $300-$500 range, but you're going to be looking at at least $500 for any non-junk Windows laptop.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie

Taerkar posted:

Chromebooks can still be in the $300-$500 range, but you're going to be looking at at least $500 for any non-junk Windows laptop.

fuckin' hell. why aren't there any low priced windows laptops? does it really require so much better hardware to run win10 over chromeOS?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I mean you can get this ideapad for ~$400 now, but for anything really cheap you're looking at an i3 or worse, which can struggle with streaming audio/video. And if you want it to be a 2-in-1 (which can be very nice for using in bed) that'll push up the minimum price a bit.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

Lockback posted:

I think going to Intel on a laptop in your situation would be a step down, but it sorta depends on what you're doing.

I could be way off the mark here but it seems like every Intel laptop CPU I look up on benchmark websites look like complete dog poo poo compared to my current processor whereas some of the Ryzen laptop models are within spitting distance.

For example, there's my CPU vs the Intel and AMD options for the Lenovo P14s. The Ryzen in the HP x360 435 G8 scores 20460. Am I just being a sucker looking at these benchmarks?

PoopShipDestroyer fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 17, 2021

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

In one of the recent Dave2D laptop reviews he says that gaming laptops in 2021 are really good now and that differences are really minor from different companies. He seems to really like the Lenovo Legion 5 Pro as long as you don't mind the weight and huge power supply. That's an interesting change from just a couple years ago when laptops sucked.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Taerkar posted:

I mean you can get this ideapad for ~$400 now, but for anything really cheap you're looking at an i3 or worse, which can struggle with streaming audio/video. And if you want it to be a 2-in-1 (which can be very nice for using in bed) that'll push up the minimum price a bit.

Trier posted:

fuckin' hell. why aren't there any low priced windows laptops? does it really require so much better hardware to run win10 over chromeOS?

Yeah, that ideapad is actually a great deal at that price point. Most laptop manufacturers don't compete in the chromebook area because there's no money in it. If your laptop is outperformed by a phone there won't be a big market for it, and hardware isn't taking leaps and bounds anymore where you can scoop up stuff a couple generations old. That stuff holds its value now.

That said, this is also the worst time of the year to get a laptop and there is generally a consumer electronics shortage on top of that. If the latter gets better then you'll start seeing the better deals happening around late July.

For example, there's my CPU vs the Intel and AMD options for the Lenovo P14s. The Ryzen in the HP x360 435 G8 scores 20460. Am I just being a sucker looking at these benchmarks?

Single thread is close, the mult-thread Ryzen will crush Intel but those use cases aren't super common for consumers. I think it will impact you if you're running multiple VMs though.

But yes, especially in the mobile space Ryzen is much better and also cheaper. Look at the 5000 series if you want to see Ryzen look even better.

Mu Zeta posted:

In one of the recent Dave2D laptop reviews he says that gaming laptops in 2021 are really good now and that differences are really minor from different companies. He seems to really like the Lenovo Legion 5 Pro as long as you don't mind the weight and huge power supply. That's an interesting change from just a couple years ago when laptops sucked.

Yeah, I still think there are places where you can be penny-wise but pound-foolish as reviews usually don't consider things like heat dissipation in non-ideal settings. But yeah, gaming laptops are pretty good up to the "lower-high end". The Desktop 3070-and-above performance levels are not done very well by laptops though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lockback posted:

Yeah, I still think there are places where you can be penny-wise but pound-foolish as reviews usually don't consider things like heat dissipation in non-ideal settings. But yeah, gaming laptops are pretty good up to the "lower-high end". The Desktop 3070-and-above performance levels are not done very well by laptops though.

The laptop 3080’s generally hit at the level of a 2070S/3060Ti which is nothing to sneeze at but yeah, you’re not gonna get something with 3070 power in a laptop at the present time.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The laptop 3080’s generally hit at the level of a 2070S/3060Ti which is nothing to sneeze at but yeah, you’re not gonna get something with 3070 power in a laptop at the present time.

Those 3080s are either TDP neutered (which is fine, but you lose a lot of power) or are generating so much heat that you basically need a rig for your laptop. There are use cases but that kind of performance comes with a big * as far as how often you'll actually see it.

This isn't to poo poo on high end laptops, they are sooo much better than they were even 3 years ago it's nuts. And honestly a mobile 3060 is still a really really good gaming machine.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah gaming laptops finally became a viable option in about ~2016/2017, or, at least that's when I stopped making GBS threads all over them. The 1050/1060 laptop GPUs were absolute game changers, you no longer needed to make huge compromises to game on a laptop. eGPU is still a valid, if pricey option, if you're willing to take some of the (IMO, very minor) performance hits.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

I could be way off the mark here but it seems like every Intel laptop CPU I look up on benchmark websites look like complete dog poo poo compared to my current processor whereas some of the Ryzen laptop models are within spitting distance.

You're looking at a U class CPU. (The real problem is both Lenobo and Dell are being annoying about sneaking U CPUs into "workstation" models.)

Check out the Precision 3551 which is the low end mobile workstation but it has a H class CPU and a junker Quadro GPU.
There is also the Latitude 5411 and 5511.

Lenovo has the P15 and the T15G.

Dell is also meant to be adding an Inspiron "Pro" model soon.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Is there any good info on the difference between the 3060 in most of these laptops and the 3070? Is the $200-ish price jump worth it?

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 18, 2021

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Do you want cold boot numbers, or heat soaked

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I recently sold my 2019 16in Macbook Pro because I was really disappointed in the battery life (among other things).

I found myself still in need of a personal laptop computer because I'm traveling now more than I would have expected (even with covid - work sucks!)

Anyways, I went into the closet full of thinkpads that every Goon worth his salt has and dug out an old T420S, which is the only one I have capable of running Windows 10 lmao.

I actually had a pretty new battery installed in it and I won an ebay auction for a $15/cd drive extended battery which nets me a total of 2.5hrs of battery life which is pretty rough I won't lie. I forgot how low the bar was for laptop battery performance back in 2011 when this thing was new.

This thing has been limping me along but I have my eye set on the newly affordable X1 Carbons on Ebay.

I noticed that there are a lot of 3rd and 4th gen Lenovo X1 carbons on Ebay for around $300.

I have a 6th gen X1 carbon for work and I love it for a laptop to take on the road. I figured it would be pretty hard to replace the battery but it seems dead simple from what I've seen with new OEM batteries running around $90.

Is there any reason why these things are so cheap? For $300 you don't even have to suffer with a base model. I've seen i7 512gb 16gb RAM models for $320 and I'm skeptical.

Anyone have any advice on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

Lockback posted:

Single thread is close, the mult-thread Ryzen will crush Intel but those use cases aren't super common for consumers. I think it will impact you if you're running multiple VMs though.

But yes, especially in the mobile space Ryzen is much better and also cheaper. Look at the 5000 series if you want to see Ryzen look even better.

Why is it that the Inspiron 5000 series doesn't seem to have AMD processors on the Dell website but I can buy them on amazon? Is there any reason not to buy them off Amazon? The specs look good for both that and the ThinkPad E15 Gen 2. I especially like that they both come with a PCIe hard drive and have traditional 2.5" slots in there that I can use.

Also, my old laptop is an Inspiron something or rather and its a giant piece of poorly made poo poo - has the Inspiron build quality improved in the last 5 years?