Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
I want VOIP so bad, it would be cool to have more interactions that aren't just immediately shooting as soon as we see each other. Even if it ends in shooting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Are they going to finally align red dots with actual weapons now? This has been delayed forever.

yeah I think so, supposedly they're going to at least be properly aligned with the guns and have correct eye relief, which will be a big step up (though I think they may still be sighted for "default" ammo types)

details were kind of sparse on this one and obviously this is one of those things where the devil is really in the details

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Cage Kicker posted:

I want VOIP so bad, it would be cool to have more interactions that aren't just immediately shooting as soon as we see each other. Even if it ends in shooting

God please never please lord

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tabletops posted:

God please never please lord

You could just turn it off and it'd be a net positive for the game for the occasions when it wasn't screaming children.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Orv posted:

You could just turn it off and it'd be a net positive for the game for the occasions when it wasn't screaming children.

It won’t be screaming children it’ll be screaming nazis and qanon sovereign citizens

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

Sounds like a good time to shoot them with your gun then

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin
Some of my favorite moments in CoD battlegrounds were head tapping (neo)Nazis from 200+meters and hearing them get salty and racist on their death mics. Those people deserve to have zero fun.

warsow
Jun 28, 2009
Being able to rile up a chud enough to aggressively push you to his own demise is going to be awesome.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

N word on repeat so you can't hear footsteps. Streamer strats

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I was going to make a sound file that randomly played the sounds of footsteps, doors opening, and windows breaking, and just sit in a bush outside Dorms

Orv
May 4, 2011
Just roll around blasting this to catch what I'm guessing is a not insignificant presence of confederate sympathizers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muPyMLE5OtM

sum
Nov 15, 2010

I don't understand why people are so negative towards proximity chat. There's massive incentives for killing other players and not giving your position away so I doubt there'll be epic memelords blasting hard bass in every lobby or whatever

Orv
May 4, 2011
The immediate and only assumption people make is that the internet and particularly games that advertise and feed off being extremely difficult are full of toxic manchildren. They're not wrong in the least, but I think those toxic manchildren are also by and large sweaty enough that they are not, most of them anyway, going to be going around doing memes because it's gonna get their rear end shot off. There will definitely be chucklefucks who do that poo poo but I think once karma systems are in and if the open world pipe dream happens - karma at least is likely, open world is probably not - it could lead to much more interesting experiences than just a deathmatch shoot everyone on sight thing that Tarkov is now.

I don't blame people at all for the assumption that it would just be nazis, assholes and children screaming down the mic but again, you can just turn it off and have it not impact you at all and I don't think that'll be the norm either way. E: There's also a solid chance VOIP will be some kind of system where you have to walk up to someone else to opt into their voice channel, which Nikita has said a couple times now on account of people screaming "Oh god please don't add VOIP" for years now and it would effectively be useless and change nothing.

Orv fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 14, 2021

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

N word on repeat so you can't hear footsteps. Streamer strats

I'm going to just play copyrighted music everywhere so streamers have to run away or kill me quickly to avoid getting strikes on their channel.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
When they say new unity engine, does that mean prettier or better performance (or both)? My PC barely runs this sometimes. It runs Rust really, really well

Orv
May 4, 2011
Little bit of both but not a ton of either necessarily. The Unity upgrade is going to allow them to do other stuff, like working on the interior fog problems rather than making the game prettier. It might also have some minor performance upgrades but don't hold your breath for a super huge boost in FPS.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

El Jebus posted:

I'm going to just play copyrighted music everywhere so streamers have to run away or kill me quickly to avoid getting strikes on their channel.

streamers will just disable voip if that’s actually an issue, and I’m sure that’s an option they’ll have (because of streamers if nothing else - one of the undiscussed features in the forthcoming patch is a “streamer mode” that hides identifying information re: servers and kills/deaths)

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

When they say new unity engine, does that mean prettier or better performance (or both)? My PC barely runs this sometimes. It runs Rust really, really well

potentially both, but it all depends on implementation obviously and doesn’t necessarily mean much by itself, it’s more that it lets them do new things

as I mentioned earlier they’re also part way through a DLSS implementation (which is supposedly going well and will be provided in the near future but has enough issues to resolve that it won’t be in the coming patch), and that *is* potentially a big performance boost to the lucky few on 20xx and 30xx series cards (though unfortunately that probably doesn’t apply to your current system if it struggles with Tarkov :(, and Tarkov seems CPU-dependent enough that it may not be quite as much of a sea change as people would hope for)

LGD fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 14, 2021

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

The new Unity version has a ton of bug fixes along with greatly improved development tools and one of the big new features - if I am not mistaken - non GPU/CPU intensive volumetric smoke.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Noob question: what does playing with goons look like in this game? I'm thinking about joining the discord tomorrow, but I just got the game and I am hilariously inept. Can groups spawn together or do you have to find each other? I wouldn't want to be a liability. I have good to excellent competitive FPS street cred, but I'm not too proud to admit when I'm in over my head, and this game has me :psyduck:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Danknificent posted:

Noob question: what does playing with goons look like in this game? I'm thinking about joining the discord tomorrow, but I just got the game and I am hilariously inept. Can groups spawn together or do you have to find each other? I wouldn't want to be a liability. I have good to excellent competitive FPS street cred, but I'm not too proud to admit when I'm in over my head, and this game has me :psyduck:

Groups spawn together, goons are always a liability, just hop on the discord and people will drag you along by the neck until you understand and drown in loot.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Danknificent posted:

I'm also a new player and the goons are very nice and helpful. Some of them gave me very good guns and I have held onto those and not lost (all) of them yet. We can help you do quests and whatnot too. It's chill.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

It happened just like everyone said. The goons took pity on me and held my hand. I even got to take one for the team like Joseph Fiennes in Enemy at the Gates, although I think the sniper killed everybody else too.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the game. I've actually survived a few times and am starting to learn my way around Customs, which is a big improvement over last night where I kept accidentally going in at night and blundering around in the dark without any idea what to do.

Danknificent fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 15, 2021

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Accidentally doing night Customs as a noob and feeling like maybe you should just uninstall the game is a Tarkov rite of passage imo

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Also, I just counted, and I have 46 (!!!) fully tricked out guns in my stash, so I think it's time I hopped on Discord and played Goon Santa for some new players

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Franks Happy Place posted:

Also, I just counted, and I have 46 (!!!) fully tricked out guns in my stash, so I think it's time I hopped on Discord and played Goon Santa for some new players

I do this too. I build guns I never use. Then I wish I didn't have them, but i can't sell them and they are very expensive.

Edit: Switched to Intelligence Folders to hopefully farm rare keys and finally got a big one: Ultra Storage Medical. My hope is I can land some keycards for Labs and do that before the wipe.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 10:59 on May 16, 2021

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

ShowTime posted:

I do this too. I build guns I never use. Then I wish I didn't have them, but i can't sell them and they are very expensive.

Edit: Switched to Intelligence Folders to hopefully farm rare keys and finally got a big one: Ultra Storage Medical. My hope is I can land some keycards for Labs and do that before the wipe.

Funnily I got mu Ultra from the 85k box, and have never gotten anything great from the Intel one

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yea the 85k one is usually the best but at this point i'm gambling. I have more money than I can spend.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

So even though I'm almost always dying, I'm taking my main guy in over and over for XP. Do I have this right: get XP, get flea market, then I can use the flea market to get the stuff to build out the hideout?

I really enjoy scavving. I seem to survive more that way.

I've also learned that it seems worth a few bucks to just slap a basic optic on whatever longarm I'm taking with me.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Danknificent posted:

So even though I'm almost always dying, I'm taking my main guy in over and over for XP. Do I have this right: get XP, get flea market, then I can use the flea market to get the stuff to build out the hideout?

I really enjoy scavving. I seem to survive more that way.

I've also learned that it seems worth a few bucks to just slap a basic optic on whatever longarm I'm taking with me.

Buying the stuff for the hideout tends to be much more expensive than just finding it yourself. The flea market is most your money comes from; from selling poo poo to other players. I really like it, stuff gets bought fast.

Run your scav when they're off the cool-down every chance you get, they're free money if you can escape and an excellent way to learn the map.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Wrr posted:

Buying the stuff for the hideout tends to be much more expensive than just finding it yourself. The flea market is most your money comes from; from selling poo poo to other players. I really like it, stuff gets bought fast.

Run your scav when they're off the cool-down every chance you get, they're free money if you can escape and an excellent way to learn the map.

There's a time vs. cost aspect though. Having to grind out finding X number of knick-knacks if you're new and often dying can get really unfun when you can otherwise sell off a couple scav loadouts to buy whatever random poo poo you need for hideout upgrades. This goes double if you are competing for high value somewhat rare poo poo.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Use what you find when you can, sell what you find when you can't, buy what you need when you need it. A new loadout is always just a scav run away. If you want to plan ahead some there are images on the wiki that show you everything you want to try to keep.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Junk for the hideout has gotten so much cheaper that you'll do both: find in raid yourself and buy. Just do whatever you can to constantly be upgrading at this point in the wipe, while still having money to go on raids.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
You can also make money from the bitcoin farm and the workbench/intel centre, so there is an incentive to get those asap.

I havn't found much from the other hidout functions that are profitable. Any suggestions?

I make 9x19 6.3 on the workbench and flash drives on the intel centre.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

sum posted:

I don't understand why people are so negative towards proximity chat. There's massive incentives for killing other players and not giving your position away so I doubt there'll be epic memelords blasting hard bass in every lobby or whatever

b!tchmade babbies literally afraid of words despite them being able to mute it

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

This feature is so good that everyone turns it off!

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

says the person censoring swears on an internet forum. is your mom going to take your modem away?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Also, make sure you sign up for Pestilys giveaway. It reached tier 1 today and he's giving away a PC. Links and all that are on his channel.

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

You can also make money from the bitcoin farm and the workbench/intel centre, so there is an incentive to get those asap.

I havn't found much from the other hidout functions that are profitable. Any suggestions?

I make 9x19 6.3 on the workbench and flash drives on the intel centre.

Flash drives aren't profitable. Only use the intel center for quest items.

Red/green powder, cordura/Aramid, and booze are the best profit per hour

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Have you ever like, really watched Pestily? Like watched him for several hours to catch those special moments? I just watched him do something i'll never be able to do, which was enter the dorms at Shoreline, hear a key from the 1st floor (as he entered) and identify which key it was, then go to the 3rd floor and prefire a player that ran to intercept him because he knew what key they used. It was kind of magical in a way. Keep in mind, all this happened in 15 seconds. It wasn't like he crouched and waited, listened, contemplated, then made the decision. Nah, he had just got to dorms, heard the key, went there, did that, killed a dude with prefire and kept on.

So, this is me quitting Tarkov. See ya everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I'm assuming that's an "I'm quitting because I'll never be that good" instead of an "I'm quitting because popular streamer cheats"

If I'm correct in my assumption then I'll just say that you can't compare your performance to streamers because most of them are playing 12 hours a day every single day and some of them are absolute savants at this game, that's why they're able to make a living streaming it.

Most players in the same position you saw Pestily in will hit a quiet corner and struggle to hold their pee until the coast is clear or they're forced to fight. That's the true Tarkov way.