Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

NotNut posted:

Thinking about repainting a car myself with rattle spray paint. The current paint has peeling clear coat and is a color I don't like and the car itself is worth less than $1500, so it's not like it'd be a huge loss if I mess it up. How bad of an idea is that?
If you want it to look good or passable its a bad idea. If you want it to look silly and fun its a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

Cage posted:

If you want it to look good or passable its a bad idea. If you want it to look silly and fun its a good idea.

I do want it to look silly and fun. I was gonna be giving it an eccentric color scheme and then put some custom decals on top of it

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Charles posted:

Come to Seattle and I'll give you my Mercedes, lol.

.... go on.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

NotNut posted:

I do want it to look silly and fun. I was gonna be giving it an eccentric color scheme and then put some custom decals on top of it
Plastidip has many colors and fun options available these days.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Cage posted:

Plastidip has many colors and fun options available these days.

Plastidip has a texture engineered in, so only Plastidip something that you never want to be able to get truly clean again.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

McTinkerson posted:

Plastidip has a texture engineered in, so only Plastidip something that you never want to be able to get truly clean again.

Plastidip removes pretty cleanly with WD-40, so you can always remove it and re-dip it if you want to try another color.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

STR posted:

.... go on.

one must have deep pockets to be able to afford a free Mercedes

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

If you already have a compressor, a spray gun is like $16 at harbor freight and you can do it with good paint.

e: might even be cheaper than a pile of spray cans

taqueso fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 17, 2021

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

STR posted:

.... go on.

I was joking around, but it's that 1994 C220 I posted with small amounts of rust on the subframe a page or two ago.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
There are quite a few things I would do for that car. Do tell.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

taqueso posted:

If you already have a compressor, a spray gun is like $16 at harbor freight and you can do it with good paint.

e: might even be cheaper than a pile of spray cans

Yeah, spray cans get amazingly expensive when you realize how little they actually cover.

Every so often I go in a loop of:

"I should rattlecan the Jeep"
"No, I should paint the Jeep with foam rollers and thinned Rustoleum"
"No, I should just get a HVLP sprayer from HF"

Ultimately the labor is murder for any of these methods. Materials and even a good-enough air compressor are reasonably cheap.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

Ultimately the labor is murder for any of these methods. Materials and even a good-enough air compressor are reasonably cheap.

Yeah, there's no way I'm going through all the required disassembly, masking and surface prep to just rattle can something. You're better off buying the HVLP gun and using a gallon of thinned out store-brand rustoleum than any of those other methods. Automotive paint isn't really THAT much more expensive in comparison unless you're doing something that base/clear, metallic or has a lot of red in it.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
How does a car move forward?

For a variety of uninteresting non-repair reasons I need to learn how cars work. Can I get a check for understanding and help with the last bit?

As I understand it, a 4 cylinder engine of a typical family sedan can have a 2 or 4 stroke mechanism. 2s are used for smaller things like motorcycles but have some downsides, they were also made after 4 stroke. 4 stroke refers to the intake of air and fuel (latter being done by a fuel injector at the last moment), compression, explosion, and expulsion of air. Optionally, a turbo *thing* can be added where the expulsion of used air is spins a turbine as it leaves the car, which also sucks in more air from another source to provide more air for the engine.

Also opposite of the cylinders are usually 2 camshafts that have lobes on them which spin around thanks to the cylinders pushing them. These lobes physically push the intake and exhaust valves open so air can move in and out of the manifolds. Then theres a crank shaft thing on the opposite end of the cylinders which gets pushed by the cylinders, and this mechanical energy had to go somewhere and turn into car-go-forward energy. Is that where the transmission comes in? Im having trouble conceptualizing that conversion of energy and how it propels a car forward and why transmission is necessary for a car when more gas should mean more spinning disks which should mean more powersomewhere?

Fake edit: Also I forgot to put in that the liters or CC of an engine is determined by the volume of all the cylinders combined. This has some relation to the power of the engine of some sort. Also you can just add more cylinders instead of making them bigger which is potentially easier, which is why you see 4,6,8 cylinder configurations in either in-line l or V shapes (l6,V8). Is that right too?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You have the general concepts right.

Two-stroke engines are rarely seen in road vehicles any more because they pollute more than four-strokes. They do generate more power for a given size and weight, and are less complicated than four-stroke engines, so you still see them in some small scooters, lawnmowers, chainsaws, etc. But every car and motorcycle sold today (except for some racing dirt bikes) uses a four-stroke engine.

(Some giant ships use two-stroke diesel engines but that's a whole different ball game with different operating conditions).

The transmission exists because the engine only works efficiently at a narrow range of speeds -- perhaps 1500 to 6000 RPM in an average car. Slower than that and it will stall; faster than that and things will start to fly apart. If 1500 RPM was geared to drive the car at 5 miles an hour, you could never go above 20 mph, and below 5 mph the car would stall. The transmission lets you gear the wheels to the engine at different ratios so that it can work over the full range of road speeds with better efficiency.

Each cylinder in an engine can suck in a certain amount of air, corresponding to its volume (defined by its diameter and how far the pistons move up and down). The amount of air sets the amount of fuel that can be burned, since fuel needs to react with oxygen to burn. Burning more fuel gives you more power. You can burn more fuel by:

- making bigger cylinders
- adding more cylinders
- pressurizing the air going in, so that you can inject more fuel and still have enough air molecules to burn it all. This is what a turbocharger or supercharger does.

Furthermore, since power is actually talking about how much fuel you burn per second, you can make more power by running the engine faster and sucking in air/fuel at a greater rate. But you still have an optimum range of engine speeds where the engine works best (called the power band) and a point at which it's spinning so fast it begins to break (the redline). So you can't just run the engine at 1 million RPM and get a huge amount of power from a tiny little dinky thing. Though that is pretty much the theory behind racing motorcycles, and why they sound so screamy.

Here is a fantastic site that explains everything you want to know.

https://ciechanow.ski/internal-combustion-engine/

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 17, 2021

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

A transmission is needed (or at least a clutch to engage and disengage) because if a motor was directly connected you could not start unless the wheels were off the ground and the engine would need to stop when the vehicle stopped.

A transmission also helps an engine turn the torque (mechanical turning ability) into higher speeds. An engine has a designed rpm range. Let's say 1000-7000 rpm. In order to have enough torque to start moving ( based on Inertia this is the toughest an engine. Needs to turn maybe 10 times per wheel rotation or the engine won't have enough Power to keep itself moving. With that gearing youd top out at maybe 15 miles an hour at 7000 rpm. So I'd you have a multi gear transmissit you can now go to like a 1:5 and get up to 30, then 1:2.5 and get to 60. (These aren't real Numbers just easy math)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

buglord posted:

For a variety of uninteresting non-repair reasons I need to learn how cars work. Can I get a check for understanding and help with the last bit?

As I understand it, a 4 cylinder engine of a typical family sedan can have a 2 or 4 stroke mechanism. 2s are used for smaller things like motorcycles but have some downsides, they were also made after 4 stroke. 4 stroke refers to the intake of air and fuel (latter being done by a fuel injector at the last moment), compression, explosion, and expulsion of air. Optionally, a turbo *thing* can be added where the expulsion of used air is spins a turbine as it leaves the car, which also sucks in more air from another source to provide more air for the engine.

Also opposite of the cylinders are usually 2 camshafts that have lobes on them which spin around thanks to the cylinders pushing them. These lobes physically push the intake and exhaust valves open so air can move in and out of the manifolds. Then theres a crank shaft thing on the opposite end of the cylinders which gets pushed by the cylinders, and this mechanical energy had to go somewhere and turn into car-go-forward energy. Is that where the transmission comes in? Im having trouble conceptualizing that conversion of energy and how it propels a car forward and why transmission is necessary for a car when more gas should mean more spinning disks which should mean more powersomewhere?

Fake edit: Also I forgot to put in that the liters or CC of an engine is determined by the volume of all the cylinders combined. This has some relation to the power of the engine of some sort. Also you can just add more cylinders instead of making them bigger which is potentially easier, which is why you see 4,6,8 cylinder configurations in either in-line l or V shapes (l6,V8). Is that right too?

A turbo is actually spun by the heat expansion of the gasses leaving the cylinder.

For the engine, imagine a wheel with a handle on the outside edge. you can produce rotation by moving that handle around in a circle. That's how the combusion stroke of each piston acts on it's specific area the crankshaft through the connecting rod.

In an automatic car there is what's called a torque converter. basically 2 fans in a chamber filled with fluid. the engine spins one fan, which moves the fluid, which then acts on the second fan that is connected to the transmission. This allows the engine to rotate when the vehicle isn't moving. The rotational force is converted into heat in the fluid instead of motion of the car.

In a manual car, the cluch directly connects the output shaft of the engine do the input shaft of the transmission through friction. A little slip between the flywheel(attached to the engine) and friction plate(attached to the transmission) allows the car to move from a stand still.

A transmission is just a series of gears which allows you greater leverage. First gear is usually around 4:1, meaning 4 rotations of the engine produces 1 rotation of the output shaft. Engines have areas within their RPM range where they make greater power and have greater efficiency. Having more gears allows you to stay more consistently within that band.

energy is then transmitted from the output shaft of the transmission into the differential, which splits the power between the driven wheels, and also allows the wheels to rotate at different speeds so the outside wheel in a turn can move faster. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYAw79386WI

Your displacement is the area of each cylinder multiplied by the stroke, which is how far up and down each piston moves in the cylinder bore, multiplied by the number of cylinders. The ford 5.0 coyote for example has a bore of 92.2mm and a stroke of 92.7mm, therefore the displacement is π(0.5 x 92.2)?^2 x 92.7mm x 8 cylinders or 4.951 cubic centimeters. rounded up to 5.0 liters.

The speed of a flame is limited by physics. At a point, a larger cylinder bore won't have complete combustion within the combustion cycle. a longer stroke begins to limit RPM, or the speed at which the engine can safely rotate, so the only option is more cylinders if your desire is a higher horsepower, higher RPM engine.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 17, 2021

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

buglord posted:

why transmission is necessary for a car when more gas should mean more spinning disks which should mean more power…somewhere?

Because the speed of the engine required does not always match up with the speed the wheels are turning at. At low speed, you actually want the engine to spin faster to make more power to accelerate, but the wheels are turning slowly. On the highway, you basically want to idle while the wheels turn fast. That's what the transmission is for.

It's like riding a bike with gears.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Engines are in all kinds of shapes:
Wankel (Rotary) :psyduck:
Inline
V
Horizontally opposed
Radial (not really used)
W :psyduck:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Massive thanks for the help everyone. Im going to be rereading these posts for a bit until I get it conceptualized. Ill likely have some follow up qs or a repeat of my understanding to see if I got it down. The website at first glance looks real useful too. Going to be watching the videos now. Thanks again.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah 100% recommend basic YouTube videos.

The basics are easy. Fuel (could be gasoline, Diesel and even wood gas) and air come in to a combustion chamber are ignited and create force which is turned into rotational force which moves the car forward.

Each of those topics.
Fuel type
Air movement (intake / exhaust)
Fuel delivery
Combustion chamber
Ignition
Conversion of force

Are all really big topics that have their own rabbit holes.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Also can I take a moment to state how cringe Donut Medias car videos are? Ive learned plenty from them, to their credit, but oof. I thought Linus Tech Tips was bad.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

buglord posted:

\

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/engine.htm

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/car.htm

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-parts-roundup.htm

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/automobile.htm

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/four-stroke-combustion-cycle.htm

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Uthor posted:

Because the speed of the engine required does not always match up with the speed the wheels are turning at. At low speed, you actually want the engine to spin faster to make more power to accelerate, but the wheels are turning slowly. On the highway, you basically want to idle while the wheels turn fast. That's what the transmission is for.

It's like riding a bike with gears.

This is also one of the areas where electric cars pick up efficiency compared to any sort of ICE-powered car. Electric motors can deliver power smoothly from a standstill, all the way up to tens of thousands of RPM. You'll still have a "transmission" to physically link the motor output shaft to the wheels in some way, but it will just have a single fixed gear ratio that provides the desired acceleration and top speeds. Much less mass, much less energy lost to friction.

Gas and diesel engines, by comparison, have a tiny usable window. None of them can deliver smooth power from zero RPM, so you need some sort of a clutch or coupling that can slip. The range in which an engine can deliver usable power is a smaller set of its RPM range, and the range in which an engine can do so efficiently is even smaller still. I mean, you *could* just use a single speed transmission, slip the hell out of the clutch when you launch, and never shift again...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko9kzyqW-l8&t=93s

bij
Feb 24, 2007

got off on a technicality posted:

Suffering very un-Mercedes levels of NVH while driving an entry-level Merc to own your 'haters' = self-own :whitewater:

This is the down-to-earth talking to I was after.

I appreciate the feedback from everyone though, the styling upon haters is secondary to a rose gold Merc being purty in an obnoxious, tacky way and my genuine interest in something you don't see much of around here. That Mazda 6 hits those buttons too... anything but a bare bones Charger, really.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

You have the general concepts right.

Two-stroke engines are rarely seen in road vehicles any more because they pollute more than four-strokes. They do generate more power for a given size and weight, and are less complicated than four-stroke engines, so you still see them in some small scooters, lawnmowers, chainsaws, etc. But every car and motorcycle sold today (except for some racing dirt bikes) uses a four-stroke engine.

(Some giant ships use two-stroke diesel engines but that's a whole different ball game with different operating conditions).

The transmission exists because the engine only works efficiently at a narrow range of speeds -- perhaps 1500 to 6000 RPM in an average car. Slower than that and it will stall; faster than that and things will start to fly apart. If 1500 RPM was geared to drive the car at 5 miles an hour, you could never go above 20 mph, and below 5 mph the car would stall. The transmission lets you gear the wheels to the engine at different ratios so that it can work over the full range of road speeds with better efficiency.

Each cylinder in an engine can suck in a certain amount of air, corresponding to its volume (defined by its diameter and how far the pistons move up and down). The amount of air sets the amount of fuel that can be burned, since fuel needs to react with oxygen to burn. Burning more fuel gives you more power. You can burn more fuel by:

- making bigger cylinders
- adding more cylinders
- pressurizing the air going in, so that you can inject more fuel and still have enough air molecules to burn it all. This is what a turbocharger or supercharger does.

Furthermore, since power is actually talking about how much fuel you burn per second, you can make more power by running the engine faster and sucking in air/fuel at a greater rate. But you still have an optimum range of engine speeds where the engine works best (called the power band) and a point at which it's spinning so fast it begins to break (the redline). So you can't just run the engine at 1 million RPM and get a huge amount of power from a tiny little dinky thing. Though that is pretty much the theory behind racing motorcycles, and why they sound so screamy.

Here is a fantastic site that explains everything you want to know.

https://ciechanow.ski/internal-combustion-engine/

Instead of "pressurizing" I'd say "adding more oxides" This can be done either by pressurizing the intake thereby adding more air which adds more oxides like you noted or by using an additive that adds more combustible oxygen (NAWS)

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I need more naws harry, two big bottles.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

tater_salad posted:

I need more naws harry, two big bottles.

hahaha yeah

The the new guy: Nitrous Oxide does neither of the things that are emphasised in the first Fast and Furious movie, to whit: it does not increase your top speed (but will make it take less time to get to your top speed) and it will not explode just because you set it on fire (it will only burn in an environment that is already hot and at high pressure, ie the compression chamber of an engine that is already running).

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

It's got a bad reputation because it's a comparatively cheap "power adder", and the people that have tended to use it are dipshit kids that don't add additional fuel properly and cause a "critical lean condition".

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Memento posted:

hahaha yeah

The the new guy: Nitrous Oxide does neither of the things that are emphasised in the first Fast and Furious movie, to whit: it does not increase your top speed (but will make it take less time to get to your top speed) and it will not explode just because you set it on fire (it will only burn in an environment that is already hot and at high pressure, ie the compression chamber of an engine that is already running).

I mean... technically speaking it COULD increase your top speed... if what's limiting your speed is lack of power, not redline.

Brokeback runs out of steam long before it could think about maxing out the tach or speedometer. It'd probably jump by about 5 mph before the head gaskets let go :v:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

taqueso posted:

Kosmoski talks about it in this video, first half is body prep.

https://youtu.be/10xfzZ7-0MA

After watching some of that video, my stupid question is how common is all that work for a paint job? I got to the part where he sprays the whole car with filler and then sprays it with a little paint and then sands it and then adds more putty. These steps seems like they need entirely different equipment from the filler and sanding steps he already did.

I cant really imagine a hobbyist doing all that, and I cant imagine the labor expense is worth it for anything thats not a high end vintage car.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

bodywork is bullshit.
I like doing mechanical work because as much of a pain in the rusted bolts are you make forward progress generally each step.
Bodywork is more zen. prep area, sand, fill it sand the filler, prime it sand it look for low/high spots.. deal with them repeat till glassy smooth.

This is why when in any kind of significant crash if body panels are to be sourced your colision shop would rather cut the panel out and reinstall a new one. Vague Color matching you get at most shops is eaiser than any kind of dent resolution.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 13:20 on May 18, 2021

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Im looking for a new phone holder for my 2017 outback. The logitech magnetic one i bought cant get a good grip on the deep air vent strips (not sure what you call those). Are there any decent units that will stay in place?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Head Bee Guy posted:

Im looking for a new phone holder for my 2017 outback. The logitech magnetic one i bought cant get a good grip on the deep air vent strips (not sure what you call those). Are there any decent units that will stay in place?

https://www.proclipusa.com/product-finder/vehicle
ProClip USA is always my go to. They make both universal and vehicle specific ones.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

smackfu posted:

I cant really imagine a hobbyist doing all that, and I cant imagine the labor expense is worth it for anything thats not a high end vintage car.

Then I wouldn't suggest that you attempt to paint a car, because it will come out like dogshit.

And you're right, painting a car, especially a color change, is not worth paying for all of the labor unless it's something really special. There used to be a place around here that would paint a car for $99. They looked just as bad as you'd think, you'd pay extra if it wasn't one of like 5 colors and of course the paint didn't last more than a few years because the "chemical sanding" they touted was in fact bullshit.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077GSJTJ3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I've had this one in my car for 3 years. I hate the air vent ones.. big phones block airvents.

Magnetic mounts are sweet kuz you just come in and slap the phone on it
There are some caveats. You need a metal circle / square behind your case, you may lose the ability to wirelessly charge if you use it. (I don't use wireless chargers, you can fiddle with the metal plate and it might work but I'd say you can't to be safe)

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
I managed to notice the side mirror glass vibrating this weekend and it appears the adhesive has failed. I pulled the glass off and about 2% of the glass was still attached to the backing plate.

The dealership wants $130 to diagnose *if* this is a warranty issue...and if it's deemed not to be a warranty failure, I would need to pay this fee....and that's before fixing the issue itself. The conversation went like this

Me : What's an example of an out of warranty cause for this?
Dealer : Maybe water got behind the glass and caused the adhesive to fail
Me : The car lives outside, in the weather. How would you prove or disprove this is the cause?
Dealer : *shrug*.

I saw the writing on the wall and told them to get hosed. The glass is in good shape, as in the backing plate. I figure some epoxy would do the trick, but I'm not sure what I can use that wouldn't gently caress up with the heating element inside the mirror.
I'm struggling to find results for "heat resistant epoxy for plastic and glass", Any thoughts? (VW Golf 2017 btw).

midge fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 18, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

midge posted:

I'm struggling to find results for "heat resistant epoxy for plastic and glass", Any thoughts? (VW Golf 2017 btw).

You're overthinking it.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...sive/mmm0/08031

I've had both mirrors on my 944 (which are heated) attached with this stuff for.......over a decade.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Motronic posted:

You're overthinking it.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...sive/mmm0/08031

I've had both mirrors on my 944 (which are heated) attached with this stuff for.......over a decade.

Thanks man. Overthinking is a habit of mine.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
it's also not generally in the dealer's interest to try to not get you to come in for warranty work so I suspect your local dealer is just shithead morons

edit: VW would almost certainly not deny that claim if it was due to water ingress. cars get wet, that's part of the design brief. things that can't get wet are supposed to be sealed so they stay dry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

midge posted:

I managed to notice the side mirror glass vibrating this weekend and it appears the adhesive has failed. I pulled the glass off and about 2% of the glass was still attached to the backing plate.

The dealership wants $130 to diagnose *if* this is a warranty issue...and if it's deemed not to be a warranty failure, I would need to pay this fee....and that's before fixing the issue itself. The conversation went like this

Me : What's an example of an out of warranty cause for this?
Dealer: Maybe water got behind the glass and caused the adhesive to fail
Me : The car lives outside, in the weather. How would you prove or disprove this is the cause?
Dealer : *shrug*.

If it's still under warranty, that's a warranty issue. If water getting behind the glass can loosen the adhesive, then it's a defect - the glass falling off is a prima facie case of a warranty failure. Except for impact, vandalism or other obvious abuse, that glass should be designed to stay put in all conditions.