Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Coasterphreak posted:

The unsealed single box of "tuna" that shows up in a random white car around 4pm every day might be a giveaway,

This one, at least is just how ordering looked at a few places I’ve worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I used to live down the street from a Chinese restaurant that was a front for a bookie. The food was surprisingly good.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

The General posted:

Curious as to why the owner isn't there flipping burgers.

This reminded me, my local in n out has a new sign up, they're paying $20 an hour.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

droll posted:

This reminded me, my local in n out has a new sign up, they're paying $20 an hour.

They started at like $17 when Cali minimum wage was 8 bucks.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

deedee megadoodoo posted:

I used to live down the street from a Chinese restaurant that was a front for a bookie. The food was surprisingly good.

If the underlying business is profitable, it makes sense. Good food means you want to eat there as the owner, and more legit traffic makes it easier to fudge the numbers. It still may be a loss leader, but one that is easier and more fun to tolerate.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Coasterphreak posted:

I literally work next to one. The unsealed single box of "tuna" that shows up in a random white car around 4pm every day might be a giveaway, just like the fact that their front door has been broken twice in the last six months and they have a sign in the window saying "no cash on premises overnight".

Was it this thread that had someone getting produce from a Hell's Angels farm co-op?

Like the farm had been set up as a front, but the dudes running it really cared about actually growing good tomatoes and poo poo, so the produce was always impeccable.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

pentyne posted:

Was it this thread that had someone getting produce from a Hell's Angels farm co-op?

Like the farm had been set up as a front, but the dudes running it really cared about actually growing good tomatoes and poo poo, so the produce was always impeccable.

the tomatoes might be good but stay away from the pork.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.
Happy mothers day to those it applies to.

My condolences to all who had/have to work.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Quabzor posted:

Mother's day has the lowest crime rate of the year in the US.

All the food service professionals are stuck at work.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Quabzor posted:

Thank you on both accounts (if you count being a "mother" to my 2 new kittens as well as the teenage boys, my "adopted sons", who suffered through a brutal service this morning with me. Seriously, I love those kids, they work harder than some of the seasoned vets I've shared a kitchen with.)

Speaking of my new kittens, Eartha and Mars, here's a transcript of what just happened here at home:

Mars: Mew!
me: Heard
Eartha: Meeeew!
me: Yeah, dropping catfood, heard
Mars: MEEW!
me: Catfood working!
Eartha and Mars: MEEEEEW!
me: CATFOOD WALKING, GIMME A SECOND FER CHRISSAKES

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Thank you on both accounts (if you count being a "mother" to my 2 new kittens as well as the teenage boys, my "adopted sons", who suffered through a brutal service this morning with me. Seriously, I love those kids, they work harder than some of the seasoned vets I've shared a kitchen with.)

Speaking of my new kittens, Eartha and Mars, here's a transcript of what just happened here at home:

Mars: Mew!
me: Heard
Eartha: Meeeew!
me: Yeah, dropping catfood, heard
Mars: MEEW!
me: Catfood working!
Eartha and Mars: MEEEEEW!
me: CATFOOD WALKING, GIMME A SECOND FER CHRISSAKES

You make this post without pictures? What the hell is wrong with you.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
They're new kittens, we know you have like 800 pics ready to go too.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Naelyan posted:

You make this post without pictures? What the hell is wrong with you.

I am history's greatest monster, I'm sorry.

I have a video of them eating, but it's on my phone and because I am an old fart who doesnt know how to work a phone, I can't figure out how to post it.

In the meantime, here are Eartha and Mars in space.

https://i.imgur.com/FAKo6po.mp4

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Oddly enough yesterday was our busy day, did over 5k. Today we had an okay lunch and then nothing.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
This is the first time I've sat down since 8am. I'd like to know what rear end in a top hat agreed to work today because it couldn't possibly have been me. I'm not that dumb.

My feet hurt. One Mom tipped me $200 and gave me a gardenia plant. I only cried twice!

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

fizzymercury posted:

My feet hurt. One Mom tipped me $200 and gave me a gardenia plant. I only cried twice!

I agreed to take ownership of a sunflower. How does this keep happening

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Our sister store announced last week that they were going dark on Mondays for the next couple months. They can't keep enough staff.

Then the KM quit in a drunken rage Sunday night, and by yesterday afternoon, it was announced on FB (gotta love that's how we find things out) that they've 86ed lunch service. 4 to 9PM only for the time being.

Think it might be time for JD to polish up the ol' resume, this smells like that duck that my KM left in the reach-in for several weeks and forgot about.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Our sister store announced last week that they were going dark on Mondays for the next couple months. They can't keep enough staff.

Then the KM quit in a drunken rage Sunday night, and by yesterday afternoon, it was announced on FB (gotta love that's how we find things out) that they've 86ed lunch service. 4 to 9PM only for the time being.

Think it might be time for JD to polish up the ol' resume, this smells like that duck that my KM left in the reach-in for several weeks and forgot about.

You ain't gonna find anything much better right now, everywhere is having the same problems.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
How're you gonna keep 'em on the farm when they realize their labor is massively undervalued and underpaid nobody wants to work anymore, everyone is making more on unemployment

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Oh don't worry, our gov just opted us out of federal unemployment to force everyone to go back to work. Yours will soon as well.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

just get hired at one of the subsidiaries of Virtual Dining Concepts and have Fun making Food that gets delivered as Mr. Beast or Guy Fieri or whatever

ez pz

There is one benefit: you'd never have to handle a customer.

/e: except that for the most part they're operating out of the actual kitchens for actual restaurants so now you've got to deal with the dine-in and delivery orders at the Buca di Beppo plus also whatever bullshit influencer flavor of the month's special packaging and food specs ... and dine-in customers are still a factor.

not sure i could imagine anything more existentially horrifying tbh

well, sure, how about all of that but also on starvation wages? that might make the scenario too fantastical to be believable though

stringless fucked around with this message at 12:25 on May 12, 2021

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

FFT posted:

not sure i could imagine anything more existentially horrifying tbh

Guy Fieri's Highly Customizable Brunch To Go Chef's Table Experience and Souffle Bar! Open 24h, unlimited fresh squeezed mimosas and personalized children's birthday parties. We accommodate all allergies and food preferences.

Disargeria fucked around with this message at 13:07 on May 12, 2021

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

You proved me wrong, thanks

hrolfr
Aug 9, 2006
Do you think it comes in, like... cherry-gina?
The pandemic gutted every position at my steakhouse restaurant+hotel--exec (twice!), sous, gm, FB director, event manager, houseman, and so many more. I've worked there 7 years, and the new management environment is machiavellian/big brother and so very unpleasant. I hadn't considered driving directly to another place to apply right after a shift ended before yesterday. Nor wasted so many thoughts on work when I'm off. Back to it soon, and racking my brain for ways to not let any of the new nonsense get to me.

Our new (zero experience) houseman is hospitalized with covid, and the new event manager only mentioned that he's out sick to people who directly worked with him.

Our new (zero experience) event supervisor makes more hourly than I do, despite knowing literally nothing about the job. She's a lovely person, at least.

Our banquet cook left for a $3/hr pay raise to cashier.
Our only other banquet cook is out sick with covid symptoms.

Back to it, I go. Happy Friday! Don't overwork yourselves tonight.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

hrolfr posted:

Our banquet cook left for a $3/hr pay raise to cashier.
Our only other banquet cook is out sick with covid symptoms.

Back to it, I go. Happy Friday! Don't overwork yourselves tonight.

Sounds like you should be getting a raise. Tell them that.

Also good luck with your Friday.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Friday, after NC lifted basically all regs:

Owner: "You can all take off your masks now!"

90% of my staff: "nah, we're good"

I was so proud.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Coasterphreak posted:

Friday, after NC lifted basically all regs:

Owner: "You can all take off your masks now!"

90% of my staff: "nah, we're good"

I was so proud.

How proud you gonna be when the owner inevitably declares masks go against dress code and fires you if you don't remove them?

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

How proud you gonna be when the owner inevitably declares masks go against dress code and fires you if you don't remove them?
Our owner already fired a server for insubordination cause he refused to go without a mask. Apparently the masks are why our restaurant is hurting. Not being understaffed and poorly managed. It's the 6 square inches of cloth on our faces.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I can't imagine why you would be poorly staffed

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
tbh, after going over a year without catching as much as a head cold i'd kinda prefer if restaurant staff kept wearing masks as long as they're comfortable with it. same for any other situation which calls for prolonged exposure to the general population.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
This is a super long shot, but anyone here worked with/for Paul Qui and willing to talk in PMs? An opportunity may have come up and I’d like to ask some questions.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Doom Rooster posted:

This is a super long shot, but anyone here worked with/for Paul Qui and willing to talk in PMs? An opportunity may have come up and I’d like to ask some questions.

You mean the guy that beat his girlfriend half to death and did a few menus he called "redemption plates" to cook his way out of it somehow. Then got a dui but said it's not his fault, he shouldn't have even been caught? No don't work for him, he is horrible.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Lol Paul Qui is by all accounts an exploitative coke head monster. Pass on that.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

I haven't paid attention to what happening in the industry atm w/r to covid since I have been working in a farm shoveling goat poo poo. Last two days I have been getting calls and texts from my old bosses/chefs about working with them on new projects in NYC. Anyone know what the situation is like in the city? I'm vaccinated so not really worried asuch about the health situation, but the work conditions on work load and general pay. From a few of my friends I hear that they have been working longer shifts understaffed with the same pay. I smell like a goat and barely afford my rent, but at least I get to jump in a pond and bask in the sun everyday.

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 17, 2021

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap
Outdoor job vs. the worst possible time to come back to the industry? Pretty obvious choice of goat poo poo n sunshine, yo!

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Nah, I think it'll go the other way where masks will be required again to stop the customers bitching. This is NC, not FL.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

We got told that BOH doesn't have to wear masks (and no one is, now). Meanwhile, FOH still is. Idk, it makes no sense to me, either.

In other news: while not as spooky as the mandolin, the tomato slicer is not to be hosed with. I barely brushed a knuckle against the blade, didn't even feel it, and boom, blood everywhere. Fear and respect the tomato slicer, folks.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

We got told that BOH doesn't have to wear masks (and no one is, now). Meanwhile, FOH still is. Idk, it makes no sense to me, either.

In other news: while not as spooky as the mandolin, the tomato slicer is not to be hosed with. I barely brushed a knuckle against the blade, didn't even feel it, and boom, blood everywhere. Fear and respect the tomato slicer, folks.

It's been 25 years since I worked with one and I still have nightmares about those loving things. Especially since tomato -always- ends up stuck in between the blades.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

fizzymercury posted:

You mean the guy that beat his girlfriend half to death and did a few menus he called "redemption plates" to cook his way out of it somehow. Then got a dui but said it's not his fault, he shouldn't have even been caught? No don't work for him, he is horrible.

Lol Paul Qui is by all accounts an exploitative coke head monster. Pass on that.

Yeah, this was about where I was at with it already. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

BOH tends to be a pretty small and limited pool of people interacting for a long time, not the situation that most masks are designed for. Also tasting things hundreds of times per night is annoying as gently caress if wearing a mask all night. I still wear them in public areas/daily life though.