Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Safety Dance posted:

https://youtu.be/-8bwZPIzuug

If the lake is pretty remote, they don't even bother landing the plane

:krad:

I knew I could probably find a lot of resources with a few Google searches but I'm spoiled with being spoon fed the best stuff at request. Thank you, goon sir!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

If you are interested in moving fish from point a to point be, I assume you're aware of the salmon cannon?

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

If you are interested in moving fish from point a to point be, I assume you're aware of the salmon cannon?

You had me all :eyepop: for a second there, but then I remembered the canon* from years ago.

Cool update, they now have self loading salmon portals in place at dams which function as fish ladder alternatives, as opposed to the original canon* which was hand loaded.

*They removed an n from "cannon" because CANNONS KILL PEOPLE AND ARE BAD... So it's only cool to name your product after them phonetically

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

My friend texted me to invite me fishing tomorrow! I became excited.

Then i remembered that i need to get a fishing license. Oh well, no big deal, it takes like 5 minutes at wal mart.

Oh, except you need your driver's license to get a fishing license and mine expired a couple of months ago. Ok, I'll go get a new one tomorrow

EXCEPT MICHIGAN SECRETARY OF STATE IS STILL APPOINTMENT- ONLY AND THE NEXT AVAILABLE APPOINTMENT IS 34 DAYS AWAY

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

titties posted:

Then i remembered that i need to get a fishing license. Oh well, no big deal, it takes like 5 minutes at wal mart.

Oh, except you need your driver's license to get a fishing license and mine expired a couple of months ago. Ok, I'll go get a new one tomorrow

EXCEPT MICHIGAN SECRETARY OF STATE IS STILL APPOINTMENT- ONLY AND THE NEXT AVAILABLE APPOINTMENT IS 34 DAYS AWAY

What state doesn’t allow you to do it online? Why would Walmart give a poo poo if it’s expired?

titties
May 10, 2012

I could do it online except i've been rocking the same photo for 12 years and also i might as well get the upgraded id which you have to go in for.

At wal mart they swipe your id to populate the fields on your fishing license, or at least they do at my local store. An expired id won't swipe as valid.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

titties posted:

I could do it online except i've been rocking the same photo for 12 years and also i might as well get the upgraded id which you have to go in for.

At wal mart they swipe your id to populate the fields on your fishing license, or at least they do at my local store. An expired id won't swipe as valid.

Getting fishing license in texas is as easy and doing it on the website or the phone app. I have no idea why you are required to go to walmart.

And i just googled it. My search led me to ...

https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-350-79119_79146_82448---,00.html

which then led me to

https://www.mdnr-elicense.com/Customer/Login?mode=0

If you can use the SA forum, you can get a fishing license.

Also gently caress your state for wanting 76 bucks to fish out of state.

titties
May 10, 2012

Lol poo poo, that was how i did it last year and completely forgot.

E: dear sickening, thanks for reminding me that buying it online was an option. Now i can go fishing and i would like to catch a fish

titties fucked around with this message at 12:28 on May 14, 2021

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.
This weekend is walleye opener in Minnesota. I'm going up to my buddy's cabin for it. I've never done a walleye opener before as I'm more of a trout and rough fish guy. Hail Satan.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

titties posted:

The states I'm familiar with just use your driver's license number as a user ID of sorts. You can still get a fishing license with an expired driver's license.

Edit: I see I should have read all the new posts before responding....

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
This is prime surf fishing time here in NE florida but theres no fuckin fish. We've been out multiple time trying every trick in the book and they simply arent there. We should be filling the freezer right now. Its not just us either, no one is catching from the beach right now. Bad omens.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

King of Bees posted:

This is prime surf fishing time here in NE florida but theres no fuckin fish. We've been out multiple time trying every trick in the book and they simply arent there. We should be filling the freezer right now. Its not just us either, no one is catching from the beach right now. Bad omens.

Well, Wednesday was like 30 degrees colder than average. That might have something to do with it.

titties
May 10, 2012

Trip report: i did not catch fish

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

titties posted:

Trip report: i did not catch fish

MOney and time well spent then.

titties
May 10, 2012

Any fishing is time well spent. Unfortunately the bridge we take to the dam access road is being torn down and we couldn't find another access road in in the time we had left so we hit up a random pond and fished for 30 minutes. Two hours round trip :smith:

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

About to wade around Rocky and Cypress points here in Tampa. Using my fancy new Penn spinfisher dealie.

It’s not fly fishing, but it’s much more applicable haha!

Hopefully I don’t bake in the sun. :smith:

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Cypress is my favorite flat to wade. Best time is last half of an outgoing tide about an hour before sunset.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

tesilential posted:

Cypress is my favorite flat to wade. Best time is last half of an outgoing tide about an hour before sunset.

It is also close to Cigar City so I can get my fill of beer around the corner.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Had to jump into ankle-deep water this morning to grab a nice bass that had spit my jig out right as I was pulling it from the water. I was able to grab it before it got away but then I wondered if it was worth it since I threw it back in the water 15 seconds later.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The fish must be fully removed from the water and over the gunnels of the boat/onto the bank for full fish catching points. Anything else is only worth partial points. :colbert:

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 15, 2021

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I feel like small freshwater striper who let themselves off my treble hooks right at the boat are very welcome.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Elmnt80 posted:

The fish must be fully removed from the water and over the gunnels of the boat/onto the bank for full fish catching points. Anything else is only worth partial points. :colbert:

Heh. I fooled a good sized rainbow yesterday while wading. Then it came off as I was fighting it. The two guys on the float trip passing by said it still counted because I hooked a fish in front of a boat :smug:

e: deleting grumpy rant part.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 15, 2021

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Elmnt80 posted:

I do everything by sport fishing rules: If you touch the leader, the fish is caught. If it gets off after that, that's win/win. Less stress on the fish, no slime on your hands.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

How'd you guys fishing the Minnesota walleye/pike opener do?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Ok, this bass fishing thing is pretty contagious.

Got skunked most of the morning but saw a poo poo ton of schooling largemouths that wouldn't strike anything. Pulled up on another pond after an hour and a half and immediately got a strike from this big guy:

Officially the biggest largemouth I've caught. Fought like hell.

Yanked a couple smaller guys out of the same pond over the next hour or so. Had several other hits.

Strangely seemingly only one worm has been working (these Morning Dawn Zoom Yum Dinger 4" stick baits on a Carolina rig). Nothing else seems to work but I keep expecting to have to guess and they just keep hitting the same worm.

Also my Black Max showed up today with medium 6'6 rod so I'm excited to get this puppy rigged up and give it a shot.

A Good Day.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 17, 2021

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Nice bass but support the body too. Lip holds like that gently caress up their jaws.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

gently caress, of course it does. As a shithead beginner I wasn't sure whether to lip hold or touch their body because that's also bad? Right?

Didn't want to hurt the little guys :ohdear:

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

gently caress, of course it does. As a shithead beginner I wasn't sure whether to lip hold or touch their body because that's also bad? Right?

Didn't want to hurt the little guys :ohdear:

Fish do have a layer of protective slime over their scales and skin, but if you wet your hands before you handle them you won't hurt them.

Don't beat yourself up! Those bass are fine, it's just the sort of thing where you're forming habits at this stage of learning so you might as well make them good ones. Just support their belly so it doesn't stress their jaws or spine.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
Does anyone here have any experience with bow fishing? I grew up fly fishing and have always wanted to pick up this sport and just ordered a cheap takedown recurve bow, fishing arrows and reel. Luckily I live a few blocks from an archery range and fly casting pond so I should be able to get some practice in before my first trip in a couplie weeks. Any pointers from other angler/archers?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

James Woods posted:

Does anyone here have any experience with bow fishing? I grew up fly fishing and have always wanted to pick up this sport and just ordered a cheap takedown recurve bow, fishing arrows and reel. Luckily I live a few blocks from an archery range and fly casting pond so I should be able to get some practice in before my first trip in a couplie weeks. Any pointers from other angler/archers?

Please come down south and shoot every carp you see. Please and thanks.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

James Woods posted:

Aim lower than you think

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Sickening posted:

Also, you could advertise carp angling retreats in the UK and charge them thousands of dollars to catch them.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

Sickening posted:

The lake I'm going to, Lake Berryessa is mostly Bass and Catfish but I heard from a local bowfisherman that there are a lot of invasive Carp on the far side of the lake that'll probably make good target practice.

Slotducks posted:

Aim lower than you think

That's what I've heard. I have a lot of fly fishing experience so I'm somewhat used to the diffraction at play but I'm sure nothing will supplement experience. I'm going to ask the geezers at my local fly casting pond if they'd be ok with me practicing on their targets.

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Also, you could advertise carp angling retreats in the UK and charge them thousands of dollars to catch them.

Can you own a bow in the UK?

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Sickening posted:

I hate this poo poo, carp are fish too. stop killing them just because they aren't "sportfish"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Ghostnuke posted:

I hate this poo poo, carp are fish too. stop killing them just because they aren't "sportfish"

Well its too loving bad you hate this. They aren't native and nobody wanted them to begin with. There will never be enough bow hunters shooting the loving things IMO.

"They’re so pervasive and difficult to control that, according to Ontario’s Invading Species Awareness Program, it’s estimated that Asian carp “make up more than 50 per cent of the fish by weight in the Illinois River.”

gently caress that.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Ghostnuke posted:

Carp are invasive in many waters and crowd out native fish both by outcompeting them and messing with the water quality.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Asian carp yeah, there's like 4 or 5 species that are completely native. it's poo poo like this that makes people throw them up on the bank in the hundreds, it's ignorant as poo poo.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Ghostnuke posted:

Asian carp yeah, there's like 4 or 5 species that are completely native. it's poo poo like this that makes people throw them up on the bank in the hundreds, it's ignorant as poo poo.

No carp are native to north america. They are thrown on the bank by the hundreds because that is the only way to even possibly control their populations in waters without gators/crocs.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

oh excuse me, they've only been here for the last 150 years :rolleyes:

they're super destructive though, we might have to do something if they keep it up for another hundred years or so

edit: lol just started reading about bass - "The largemouth bass has been introduced into many other regions and countries due to its popularity as a sport fish. It causes the decline, displacement or extinctions of species in its new habitat through predation and competition,[31] for example in Namibia. They are also an invasive species in the Canadian province of New Brunswick, and are on the watch list across much of the far northern US and Canada. In colder waters, these fish are often a danger to native fish fry such as salmon and trout.[32] They have also been blamed for the extinction of the Atitlan grebe, a large waterbird which once inhabited Lake Atitlan, Guatemala.[33] In 2011, researchers found that in streams and rivers in the Iberian Peninsula, juvenile largemouth bass were able to demonstrate trophic plasticity, meaning that they were able to adjust their feeding habits to obtain the necessary amount of energy needed to survive. The ability to do such, allows them to be successful as invasive species in relatively stable aquatic food webs.[34] Similarly, a study done in Japan showed that the introduction of both largemouth bass and bluegill into farm ponds have caused increases in the numbers of benthic organisms, resulting from the predation on fishes, crustaceans, and nymphal odonates by the bass.[35] The largemouth bass has been causing sharp decreases in native fish populations in Japan since 1996, especially in bitterling fish in Lake Izunuma-Uchinuma.[36]"

Ghostnuke fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Ghostnuke posted:

oh excuse me, they've only been here for the last 150 years :rolleyes:

they're super destructive though, we might have to do something if they keep it up for another hundred years or so

edit: lol just started reading about bass - "The largemouth bass has been introduced into many other regions and countries due to its popularity as a sport fish. It causes the decline, displacement or extinctions of species in its new habitat through predation and competition,[31] for example in Namibia. They are also an invasive species in the Canadian province of New Brunswick, and are on the watch list across much of the far northern US and Canada. In colder waters, these fish are often a danger to native fish fry such as salmon and trout.[32] They have also been blamed for the extinction of the Atitlan grebe, a large waterbird which once inhabited Lake Atitlan, Guatemala.[33] In 2011, researchers found that in streams and rivers in the Iberian Peninsula, juvenile largemouth bass were able to demonstrate trophic plasticity, meaning that they were able to adjust their feeding habits to obtain the necessary amount of energy needed to survive. The ability to do such, allows them to be successful as invasive species in relatively stable aquatic food webs.[34] Similarly, a study done in Japan showed that the introduction of both largemouth bass and bluegill into farm ponds have caused increases in the numbers of benthic organisms, resulting from the predation on fishes, crustaceans, and nymphal odonates by the bass.[35] The largemouth bass has been causing sharp decreases in native fish populations in Japan since 1996, especially in bitterling fish in Lake Izunuma-Uchinuma.[36]"

If I was fishing in Japan or Spain then yeah I'd be concerned about bass being in the wrong place. However most of fish in the US where carp are destructive.