Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Is this thread ok with me talking about my electric unicycle?

I ordered one and it's supposed to be coming this Friday and I'm wondering if this is the thread to talk about my learning experiences or if I should be looking somewhere else.

Edit: the worst snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Carth Dookie posted:

I ordered one and it's supposed to be coming this Friday and I'm wondering if this is the thread to talk about my learning experiences or if I should be looking somewhere else.

A unicycle is half a bicycle, so yes of course please :justpost:! I'm curious to hear about your experiences.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Safety Dance posted:

A unicycle is half a bicycle, so yes of course please :justpost:! I'm curious to hear about your experiences.

Will do.

Going helmet shopping this afternoon (full face dirt bike or mountain bike seems to be the basic recommendation).

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Carth Dookie posted:

Edit: the worst snipe.

I didn't know those existed. Anyway I've been considering upgrading my Ride1up LMT’D to a Priority Current if I can get the Costco price of $2600 I lose front suspension/throttle but gain a belt drive/fenders/lights and it might be more capable of hills.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 18, 2021

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

If you want to climb 35 degree inclines without pedalling, may I suggest a electric unicycle (EUC)?

:haw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDMSghr-FAI

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Carth Dookie posted:

If you want to climb 35 degree inclines without pedalling, may I suggest a electric unicycle (EUC)?

:haw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDMSghr-FAI

Oh I've seen one of those things before for some reason my mind didn't think that was what was meant by an electric unicycle. Probably because my mind was thinking giant unicycle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esLi9IUOiUw.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
John Lewis ebike returns company have a good one in. I used this company before to get my Dutch e-bike. This will be gone very very soon and you got to refresh to find what they got on the daily, mountain bikes are rare but they tend to get hub gear hybrids in in different sizes every few weeks.

PICKSAVINGS code for 20% off to make it £690.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203265755413

It’s a £400 hydraulic disks, Altus gears, 27.5 tyre 18 inch frame mountain bike with a 11.5 Ah battery and pretty much identical to the carrera £1100 bike in Halfords but with a larger battery.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I preordered my Priority Current https://www.prioritybicycles.com/products/current it's $700 off (making it $2600+shipping) if you have a Costco membership and email them. I hope it's good.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 19, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Which colour? It’s not to everyone’s taste but I like a well designed white bike, and that one of fantastically well done.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Which colour? It’s not to everyone’s taste but I like a well designed white bike, and that one of fantastically well done.

I was on the fence but went with dull charcoal thinking it'd end up dirty anyway. Now if they offered it in https://www.google.com/search?q=che...iw=1897&bih=909 I absolutely would have selected it.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

So the EUC turned up earlier than expected.

Here it is unboxed, but with the cover put on:

KingSong 16x for those playing at home

https://www.kingsong.com/16inchseries/7-6.html

First thoughts:

I like the styling. The charging ports and USB ports are up high out of the way and have nice rubberised covers.

The luggage handle is wobblier than I expected, which is interesting since it is consistently praised as being one of the better executed handles compared to other brands.

The overwhelming impression though is that it's a HEAVY rear end BITCH. Just as well it has a luggage handle because carrying it by hand for any significant distance is a non starter. The weight is actually a little intimidating. I'm going to try it out this afternoon and report back. Exciting times!

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I would be absolutely terrified to use one of those the way I've seen them used around Seattle. Folks just zip along at high speed and I can't help but suspect the reason I haven't seen many recently is that the users invariably hit a bump or a patch of water/gravel and go flying.

I took my new bike out the other day after a light rain to try to get a feel for how it handles stopping and loving yikes. I thought I was taking it easy, but ended up hydroplaning ~10-15 feet trying to come to a stop at an intersection on a slight downward hill. Made me seriously reconsider getting up anywhere near the max assist speed without being 100% certain that the road is in good condition. Would have probably gone with the one that caps out at 20 MPH.

Never had the occasion to ride a motorcycle or moped, but I have to imagine the concern is even worse on them.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Cugel the Clever posted:

I would be absolutely terrified to use one of those the way I've seen them used around Seattle. Folks just zip along at high speed and I can't help but suspect the reason I haven't seen many recently is that the users invariably hit a bump or a patch of water/gravel and go flying.

Not really from what I've seen. Most wheels are 14-18 inch which greatly reduces the problems sudden potholes can cause and I've seen people riding them in ice/snow/shallow water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnRdbn4KCJw

There's a whole thing about taking these off on mountainbike trails and they seem surprisingly stable.

I'll find out for myself in due course and report back.

quote:

Never had the occasion to ride a motorcycle or moped, but I have to imagine the concern is even worse on them.

I've ridden motorcycles for 12+ years, up to and including in hail conditions where marble sized stones bounced off my tank and hit me in the chin/throat and 20mph crosswinds. Hydroplaning isn't fun and is obviously dangerous so yeah you avoid it whenever possible, but to me slides are only scary if its the front wheel doing it. The back wheel is whatever.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Cugel the Clever posted:

I took my new bike out the other day after a light rain to try to get a feel for how it handles stopping and loving yikes. I thought I was taking it easy, but ended up hydroplaning ~10-15 feet trying to come to a stop at an intersection on a slight downward hill. Made me seriously reconsider getting up anywhere near the max assist speed without being 100% certain that the road is in good condition. Would have probably gone with the one that caps out at 20 MPH.
I don't think you were hydroplaning - that's when your tires are essentially water skiing through the water and have no contact with the bottom of the lake i.e. the pavement. This isn't really a thing with bike tires at bike speeds, you need wide tires and really high speeds through deep water for this to occur.

Slipping is very much a thing though. Streets can get really slick for a variety of reasons. First rain on tarmac after hot weather? Oils can sweat out of the road surface, and before the water has time to flush it away it can get reeeeally slippery for a bit. Layers of pollen this time of year can be slick when wet. Mud, pea gravel, wet leaves, wet painted lines, manhole covers etc. - there's all sorts of things making grip lovely that two-wheeling people need to be aware about.
Also your tires could be poo poo. Some tires are bad in the wet due to lovely rubber compounds for the purpose. If so you should buy other tires. Also brand new tires are normally pickled in some kind of oil in order to arrive to the customer looking shiny and fresh, and this coating needs to be carefully worn away before the tires will perform nominally.

It's good practice to brake check your grip level if you are suspicious, whether you are driving or riding. On a bike it's safest to do with the rear brake.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Carth Dookie posted:

I'll find out for myself in due course and report back.
Definitely do! Out of curiosity, do you know if shops give free test rides?

Invalido posted:

brand new tires are normally pickled in some kind of oil in order to arrive to the customer looking shiny and fresh, and this coating needs to be carefully worn away before the tires will perform nominally.
Interesting! Yeah, I've not gone more than 20 miles on it yet, so any new tire coating could absolutely still be present. Either way, I'm glad to have at least had a bit of a startle in relatively safe circumstances vs. a more serious fright in actual traffic.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Cugel the Clever posted:

Definitely do! Out of curiosity, do you know if shops give free test rides?

No idea!

The place I bought it from was interstate so I have no local dealer. If sellers are smart and they have the space, they would though.

Trip report:

I took it down to the park for about an hour and learned several things:

1. When wheeling it around using the trolley handle, have the motor ON. It then automatically balances the wheel upright so you can then literally wheel it around up and down any incline with one finger and it won't run away from you. Its VERY stable like that.

2. I took it out for about an hour and it felt very alien. You can't really take any corresponding experience from riding a bicycle or skateboard or scooter. It feels very different at first and this is the first part of the bar you need to clear. Getting on and off feels like a challenge until you realize that its actually extremely logitudinally stable and its not going to run away in front of you or disappear behind you so long as you keep your weight vaguely over the centre of it, and moving your balance over the centre to keep it still is very easy. No problem whatsoever. Getting on and off becomes a complete doddle when you internalize this lesson. Once this clicked I was able to rock back and forth on it no problem.

3. It is decidedly UNstable laterally, especially at the low practice speeds that you start at because you don't develop any speed in the wheel to get gyroscopic stability to keep you going. I spent most of my time with one hand on a park bench, doing laps of it and occasionally letting go of it to try and keep it going in a straight line. I couldn't get it going for more than a few metres without coming off when doing this. Usually it would tip and I'd have to step off. I was practicing on grass upon recommendation from a video I'd seen. The conventional wisdom is that tarmac/paths are actually easier to balance on, but its better to practice on grass for the soft landing. I had plenty of step offs, but its designed to go tumbling and teh cover prevents scratches. I did fall on my rear end once when I got tangled up trying to step off of it when I lost control. This is definitely something that will take a few hours practice to properly get going on, and I'm looking forward to it. I have no doubt that I'll get the hang of it and be zooming about in no time.

4. This last part may vary depending on where you are, but in my city most people have never seen one of these things before. EVERYONE comes up to you and wants to talk about it. I spoke to more strangers today in an hour than I had in the last 6 months. Once I get confident with it I'm taking this sucker down to the beach and using it as a conversation starter with women.

This is the video guide I'm using for reference:

https://youtu.be/UHrh5Kk9x98

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 09:29 on May 20, 2021

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Day 2.

I previously said that bicycle experience isn't especially useful but I've decided to revise my opinion. I think that an electric unicycle has slightly more in common with bicycling than a traditional unicycle. The reason being that the electric motor in an EUC is kind of like the chassis of a bicycle in how it stops the front wheel from tipping forward or backward. A basic unicycle isn't like that because you have to manage longitudinal balance to a much greater degree than on an EUC.

Anyway my point is that an EUC is kind of like the front wheel of a bicycle. I had a revelation today when it comes to keeping upright. So far I've had no problem lapping my park bench until I get dizzy. When I do this I'm obviously using my arm on the bench to provide lateral stability. The advice I have online is that to keep stability the idea is that if you start to tip, you turn in the direction of the tip to regain stability. This is fine well and good, but what was not adequately explained in my reference material is that you should do so by using your hips to change the direction of the wheel, rather than leaning using your body. Twisting your hips into the fall brings it back up, whereas leaning your body just advances the speed of the fall.

Its kind of like how when riding a bicycle at very slow speeds (like walking pace or slower), you don't keep the bike upright so much by leaning as you do micro twists into the fall using the handlebars. Same thing on an EUC, except you use your hips (or perhaps by using your shoulders and then your hips follow).

Once I understood that I started doing it a bit more and was able to get away from my park bench a little bit. I think the best I did was about 15 metres before I lost it and had to step off. This was towards the end of an hour of practice or so (most of the hour had been spent lapping my park bench though. Probably only the last 15 minutes was away from it). So call it 2 hours ride time total, give or take. Importantly, I'd spent a fair bit of time getting on and off the thing so I was actually able to get started without having to balance against a pole or park bench to get both feet on the EUC before taking off. I was able to "launch" properly. This means I can move my practice area further away from the park bench.

Now that my body knows what to do, its down to practice an refinement so I can keep going until I choose to stop, rather than lose balance. I'm looking forward to tomorrow.

I blasted Queen's "We are the champions" through the speakers on the walk back home.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 09:19 on May 21, 2021

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Day 3.

Another hour on the EUC and experience gained. Today I spent almost no time near my old park bench and instead around a clear green space near it. I learned a little more about steering and stopping. Yes, fine adjustments to catch falls at low speed are done with the hips, but its better to twist the shoulders to lead the hips in the rotation for less aggressive adjustments. I've started to think of my shoulder line as the handlebars on a bicycle and its helping. I could pretty reliabily get going for 10-15 metres before having to step off at the beginning of the hour.

By the end, I was able to circle this green space with only one stop.

Importantly, I was getting much better at controlling my speed and direction so I could turn at least vaguely in the direction I wanted. The bumps of the grass proved less of a problem and I even made it over some exposed tree roots. I was also starting to get to the point where I could stop by braking and then catching the EUC while upright, rather than just stepping off and letting it fall. So I'm getting closer. Not bad results after 3 (from my first ride 3 days ago) hours or so. It wasn't all smooth sailing. I did have a fall on the grass and my wrist guard earned its keep when I landed on it and came away fine. Upper arm got a little jolted so we'll see how I pull up tomorrow. I've also decided that knee/shin are no longer optional and will be getting some during the week. I had a slight knee bump, and I have no desire to get a worse one. It would also probably help since a pressure point is on the knee/calf/shin where you hold the EUC so a bit of extra armor/padding there would be helpful.

Edit:

Also according to the EUC app, it has done 10km from full charge ( I first charged it when I got it and haven't since) and still has 91% battery remaining with an estimated remaining range of about 120km.

It's also working perfectly despite constant falling on its side in dirt and dust and full rotation tumbling and when it ran into a tree once when I stepped off. Pretty robust so far. No scratches worth mentioning thanks to the cover. A good investment.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 07:42 on May 22, 2021

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Day 4.

Only half an hour today but a good one. I had a slight gremlin in the wheel where it wouldn't let the foot plates start level and I had to fiddle with it to get the horizontal calibration right. Other than that, things went well.

I got to the point where I could consistently loop the green space pictured previously without stopping. Speed and direction control were improved. No falls, and only a handful of inconsequential step offs. My posture needs improvement as I'm still having to use overly large movements to maintain control and and overly bent knees (some of that may simply be because I'm on bumpy grass) which is fatiguing. Kind of reminds me of skiing posture when on grass/bumpy areas. Whether I like it or not, my legs, core and glutes are going to get stronger. :haw:

A little more practice with focus on precision, posture and tidy launch and stopping (including emergency stopping) before I'm confident enough to take to bike trails. Total ride time since I bought it probably no more than 4 hours. Still not even close to needing a recharge.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 08:08 on May 23, 2021

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Day 5.

Had another hour on the EUC today which was rather interesting. Today was the first time I took to the pavement of the bike paths. It mostly went quite well. It took a minute to get used to the relative smoothness because at first it feels like you have less traction and grip, when you in fact have more. I looped around my green space reliably for a while, and practiced launching without a post. Things went very well. So well in fact that I decided to take my first actual journey on the EUC. I went down the bike paths to a local skate park near my house. I was able to do some loops on the bottom of the bown and practice going up some steep inclines. I'll probably go back there to practice that kind of thing more in the future.

I learned that I need more practice coming to a dignified stop. I took the chance and rode the EUC back home and things went very very well, until I managed to slow down to an ALMOST complete stop and then when stepping off, manage to catch my feet up in the EUC and have my legs swept out from under me at an awkward angle and land flat on my back. The EUC got its first proper scratches in the tumble and drew its first blood. A minor scrape to my thumb and elbow. 4.5 hours total ride time to get to the point where I can ride around in most conditions and launch successfully. Next is going to be practicing more smooth and integrated starting and stopping.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I'm at my office and I forgot headphones today, so I'm trying _very_ hard to avoid well-actually-ing my way into a conversation about ebike battery chemistry. ADHD can suck it.

I'm really appreciating reading about your experience learning to ride one of these things! Thank you for sharing.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
https://www.euphree.com/electric-bikes

Is this company just an Ali Baba drop shipper? A friend asked me about what I thought and I really think that's what it is, so they could get the same thing for way cheaper from somewhere else.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

The fact that they don't sell any spare parts is a good hint about the level of support you can expect.

The said, there is a real person publicly behind the company: Daniel Basaldua

That is more than a lot of drop shippers will claim.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 29, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
60 mile range on a bike that expensive means they either cheaped out on the battery or the bike is hewn from iron.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

learnincurve posted:

60 mile range on a bike that expensive means they either cheaped out on the battery or the bike is hewn from iron.
This is the most pointless critique of a bike that weighs 20 lbs less than a rad power.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Do these EUCs have analog tilt sensors and accelerometers? Or just tilt switches?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It’s still an odd range tho, that size of battery you would expect way more than 60 miles to be advertised.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

learnincurve posted:

It’s still an odd range tho, that size of battery you would expect way more than 60 miles to be advertised.

Huh motors are a good bit less efficient than a mid drive, right? For what it’s worth, I get about 35-40 miles out of my Radwagon 4 pedaling it hard, and it has the same size battery.

The Radwagon with two seats and the small bags I’m carrying is about 100lbs, and I’ve got around 70lbs of children on there too, plus me.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Maybe it’s a Uk vs US advertising thing - I’ve only ever seen bikes range advertised here as the maximum distance unladen on the lowest (pedal assist) setting and you have to calculate/guesstimate the real range yourself.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

kimbo305 posted:

Do these EUCs have analog tilt sensors and accelerometers? Or just tilt switches?

Sensors I think because it's possible to calibrate it in such a way that it thinks it's level and upright while it's actually tilted forward or back.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Those things all run on mobile/automotive solida state stuff.

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

quite frankly I don't believe this talk about the market
I am thinking of buying an E-bike. I'm leaning towards the Trek Allant+ 9.9S.

Here's the problem though. On the back wheel of the Allant+ 7, there is what looks like a rack for attaching a basket or something. It looks like one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Reflective-Universal-Adjustable-Capacity-Mountain/dp/B07XCHB5QV

But on the 9, the back rack thing looks much different, and it seems like it wouldn't hold a basket attachment.

I asked my local trek dealership and the guy working there had no idea, since they don't carry any of the Allant models.

Is there a basket attachment that I can attach to the Allant+ 9.9s?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Found this pic on the internet. Looks like you might need a seat clamp adapter to mount a normal style sturdy rack:

The stock rack will only carry bags on the sides.

e: The stock rack looks like it doubles as a fender stay, so I'm not sure how floppy things are without it.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 31, 2021

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
What made you pick the 9 over the 7, or over the Specialized Vado? Someone else pointed out how much cheaper it is for roughly feature parity.

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

quite frankly I don't believe this talk about the market

kimbo305 posted:

What made you pick the 9 over the 7, or over the Specialized Vado? Someone else pointed out how much cheaper it is for roughly feature parity.

I just want the best bike money can buy. It seems that the highest end Allant is better than the best Vado. I ride every day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, so it makes sense for me to get the best bike I can get.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I got the same problem with a bike due this week. You want a rack with a seat post attachment but with arms that come down and attach to the frame - 25kg maximum limit on this type.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

School of How posted:

I just want the best bike money can buy. It seems that the highest end Allant is better than the best Vado. I ride every day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, so it makes sense for me to get the best bike I can get.

If you got even more money to burn the Riese & Muller Homage ticks everything I want.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Upright electric Dutch bike has a friend, because my daughter has some complaints about the bag bitch not being able to follow her off road.

learnincurve posted:

I have an new bike: £750 (with £60 off with code) off a place on eBay which does John Lewis returns https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/moorelargeoutlet second time I’ve used them. Halfords equivalent is £1099. It’s clearly gone sideways after one use and been returned like the other one was - people leave the battery on, walk it along and then ooops.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Upright electric Dutch bike has a friend, because my daughter has some complaints about the bag bitch not being able to follow her off road.

I must be doing it wrong, because my upright electric dutch bike loves¹ dirt trails.

¹is really terrible at, but I don't know when to quit

Happy New Bike Day though! I look forward to biking with my child or children one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

I did a little thing on my long-suffering electric bakfiets yesterday. New rod ends for the steering linkage. My old stainless heim joints lasted for many years but had gotten too much mechanical slop so I thought I'd try automotive style rod ends with rubber boots and see how long they last. Unfortunately I ordered ones with a finer thread pitch where they screw into the linkage, so I had to chop the old nuts off and weld new ones on. The factory solution was always poo poo and I cut that off the link many years ago.

With the new, tight and quiet linkage in place it became apparent that my hub motor bearing are shot and need replacing. I have a set of nice SKF sealed bearings laying around meant for my last hub motor that got run over by a car, and with a bit of luck this hub (that I have never opened before) uses the same bearings. As much as I enjoy the excellent snow clearing and brine spraying on my commute route which provides speed and safety, the salt isn't kind to metal.

Future plans for the bakfiets include a major overhaul. New paint, new sheet metal (there's a Danish bike shop that has fenders and chain guard for these veteran bikes) a total rewire of all electric bits and a new box of fiberglass laminated lightweight plywood as well as a new kickstand.

Some of the suffering of the bakfiets. This is what killed the old motor, rim and the original fork.