Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Leorio For Chairman: Because Look At The Other Options, Jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

royalty is a continuous Leorio punching motion

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

bees x1000 posted:

royalty is a continuous Leorio punching motion

Reach Heaven through Punching Ging

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
STICK DINNER

edit: Holy poo poo, never thought I'd see archer guy, poison girl and her amazing hat again.

edit edit: Which creature's DNA gave this alligator man his tank top.

CubeTheory fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 17, 2021

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
The arc that will cause the best hot takes has begun

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Prediction: Archer guy is here to get eaten and give Nen powers to the ants.

edit: Business suit Koala. This arc is wild so far.

CubeTheory fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 17, 2021

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If you're not crying at the end of the arc you're banished from the thread

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Crying passports are a government overreach.

I'm moving to NGL, where the people are free.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

oh jay posted:

Crying passports are a government overreach.

I'm moving to NGL, where the people are free.

And the secret government are drug and gun runners.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Hrmmmm, normally some of the best parts of this show are the parts where the bad guys/good guys are standing around strategizing, but during the beginning of the arc it's things like establishing what a name is and the pacing is a little rough.

edit: RIP

CubeTheory fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 18, 2021

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
EVERYONE SHUT UP

Biscuit has a new haircut

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

CubeTheory posted:

EVERYONE SHUT UP

Biscuit has a new haircut

Eeeeeverybody comes around on Biscuit.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

AlternateNu posted:

Eeeeeverybody comes around on Biscuit.

I never actually disliked Biscuit, I just posted after her 10 second end of episode intro, which was very poorly done and misleading.

edit: Killua is the main character, isn't he

CubeTheory fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 18, 2021

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

CubeTheory posted:

edit: Killua is the main character, isn't he

The main character is Gon's fishing rod, because every arc the fans asked "Where's Gon's fishing rod?"

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Gon's Fishing Rod is hanging out with Kurapika's wooden sticks and Killua's skateboard.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Oh poo poo, Josuke's power is 'number go up'

My god, the final reveal that it's compound interest

CubeTheory fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 18, 2021

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

CubeTheory posted:

That's right. The Bancho is an investment banker. :c00lbert:

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

CubeTheory posted:

Some modern shonen have started to incorporate "I have a condition on my power that means I have to tell you what it does/I get a boost from explaining it" mechanics but I always liked Knuckle's version of that, which is just to have as long and convoluted an explanation as possible, which would rack up a bunch of interest in the time it takes to tell them what it's doing.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Oh, Cell is here

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TriffTshngo posted:

Some modern shonen have started to incorporate "I have a condition on my power that means I have to tell you what it does/I get a boost from explaining it" mechanics but I always liked Knuckle's version of that, which is just to have as long and convoluted an explanation as possible, which would rack up a bunch of interest in the time it takes to tell them what it's doing.

Reminded of a villain from Jujutsu Kaisen were explaining abilities does make them stronger. He explained how his power worked and how long it would take to kill the main characters. Then thought to himself "Now that I have explained it they will actually die even faster"

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

TriffTshngo posted:

It’s even better because he doesn’t have to do that, he only did it to throw off Gon and make him panic.

It’s such a good ability because on weaker opponents you just dominate them and it gives you a fighting chance against stronger opponents if you use hit and run tactics

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Killua character development a little undercut by his personal failings actually being a mind control needle?

edit: um, I think that Palm might need help and she's a lot less fun now and also she went on a date with a 12 year old

CubeTheory fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 18, 2021

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Holy wow you’re just blazing through these, huh? Glad you’re enjoying them so much though! :)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Gonna run into Best Bro, Ikalgo soon

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Last Celebration posted:

Holy wow you’re just blazing through these, huh? Glad you’re enjoying them so much though! :)

Yeah, I haven't been feeling well lately and it's easy to just sit here and chain watch them. I'll probably finish it up sometime next week.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Asuron posted:

It’s even better because he doesn’t have to do that, he only did it to throw off teach Gon and make him panic stronger.

Knuckle is a nice guy. :colbert:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

TriffTshngo posted:

Gon really got played with that maneuver. But he also was just objectively not going to outpunch Knuckles and repay his interest even without the solid minute of getting his brain fried by math.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Eej posted:

Gonna run into Best Bro, Ikalgo soon

i can say without any irony that when the dumb cartoon octopus midboss had a super cool guy moment and suicided himself and then was saved by Killua was one of the highlights of the experience.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Reminded of a villain from Jujutsu Kaisen were explaining abilities does make them stronger. He explained how his power worked and how long it would take to kill the main characters. Then thought to himself "Now that I have explained it they will actually die even faster"

it works well in jjk because explanations come on a case by case basis. some characters need to keep the details secret, for others it doesn't matter or is beneficial. there's none of that bleach stuff where someone explains how their power works for no reason and then instantly gets owned because their opponent figures out how to counter it based on that explanation.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Brought To You By posted:

Gon really got played with that maneuver. But he also was just objectively not going to outpunch Knuckles and repay his interest even without the solid minute of getting his brain fried by math.

Yeah Knuckle just completely outclassed him physically despite not being an Enhancer.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
nen users who don't master enhancement to the best of their ability simply die whenever someone tough shows up.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

CubeTheory posted:

Killua character development a little undercut by his personal failings actually being a mind control needle?

People like to claim the needle is this big copout and makes Killua's character arc worse or whatever but I don't get that at all. Like he wouldn't have ever noticed the needle was there in the first place if he hadn't grown as a person and gained more selfhood and confidence. It's Killua confronting his mental barriers, which were placed there by Illumi all through his childhood training. The needle basically just reads like a metaphor to me, idk.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

MonsterEnvy posted:

I'm pretty sure a lot of JJK characters/abilities/scenes are homages to HxH or other shounen manga.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

TriffTshngo posted:

People like to claim the needle is this big copout and makes Killua's character arc worse or whatever but I don't get that at all. Like he wouldn't have ever noticed the needle was there in the first place if he hadn't grown as a person and gained more selfhood and confidence. It's Killua confronting his mental barriers, which were placed there by Illumi all through his childhood training. The needle basically just reads like a metaphor to me, idk.

That's because people don't understand the needle only supplied subliminal messages and doesn't assume direct control. Plus Killua has been confronting his own cowardice and instinctual desire to flee from strong opponents for arcs now, including the time he contemplated sacrificing himself to Nobunaga to save Gon. In context this is just him shedding his last inhibition in order to be the friend he wants to be in the face of a potentially civilization ending threat.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think thats just how curses work in JJK? I kinda binged the anime but more than 1 person did that.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

It didn't feel like a copout to me either. Time and time again we see Killua consider his own self preservation over everything else, and the exceptions come with tremendous self conscious effort - Nobunaga had him sweating profusely, and even in the Heaven's Arena arc we got him spidermanning because of Wing showing off a bit of Ren. Bisky even spells it out, if you always consider the worst case losing scenario, you cannot be the friend you want to be to Gon and should leave his side. Which is what he was always trained to do by Illumi, except he didn't realise he had a needle enforcing the flee mentality as well.

So he realises he had a needle and took it out, then it was much easier to think coherently. Is he still considering worst case scenarios? Yeah, for sure, it's part of his personality. But it's not to the point that it is inhibiting his ability to act on his assessments, which is where the needle was coming in. It represented everything that Illumi instilled in him, which were not necessarily good habits - and also served to show what more of a dick his brother is.

Or in short:

TriffTshngo posted:

The needle basically just reads like a metaphor to me, idk.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I don’t Illumi is a dick. That’s not a compliment, it makes him far more horrifying that he probably loves Killua more than anyone in the world, and is probably the surest sign that the black haired Zoldyks (Alluka aside) have spent far too much time with their mother, but even Biscuit says that Illumi’s love is just horribly warped and perverse.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Narrator: The wait is over! The final battle begins now! The hunters vs the chimera ants!

Next several episodes: Actually, let's go hang out with the spiders. (Still good episodes)

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Anyone know what this flea sniper guy says in the japanese version? I've only got the english dub and his cadence seemed similar to the way the Ogura Hyakunin Isshu is read in karuta and I wondered if it was something similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

CubeTheory posted:

Narrator: The wait is over! The final battle begins now! The hunters vs the chimera ants!

Next several episodes: Actually, let's go hang out with the spiders. (Still good episodes)
mate i dont wanna spoil too much but well, this arc is, famous, for, reasons that you are about to discover