Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
Our travel is open again. For the last few months it was limited to two departments with upper management approval. Now all of us can go once we are finished with the vaccine treatments. Right now that's just me, my coworkers are waiting on their second shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe

Beef Of Ages posted:

I mean, Utah is gonna Utah, but if I had the choice of spending time in Salt Lake City versus rural Indiana, I'm going choose to enjoy views of the Great Salt Lake. :shrug:

I didn't go to SLC. I went to Delta :pwn:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I’m going on a trip to Denver in late July and trying to rent a car through Enterprise. It’s looking like they *only* have luxury cars available anywhere in the city. I tried a generic site like Orbitz and I’m seeing the cheapest I can get from anyone is about $170 a day which is nuts. Is this all just shocks from the economy turning back on and I should wait to book until things settle down in late June or is Denver just weird?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

The pandemic resulted in all the rental companies selling their stock of new(er) cars. It’s a nationwide thing. Don’t expect to get anything cheap or last minute and expect anything you do get to cost a fortune. They also can’t buy new because of the semiconductor shortage in new cars. Some rental companies have resulted in buying used cars at auction. It’s crazy.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

The stat I heard is that the current average mileage of rental owned vehicles is 80K.

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003
People are renting U-haul trucks in Hawaii because of the rental car shortages.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/25/us/hawaii-u-haul-tourist-rental-trnd/index.html

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

For those that are traveling, have Uber/Lyft caught up with demand? My East Coast friends are still staying home on the weekends because there simply aren't enough folks back at it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

For those that are traveling, have Uber/Lyft caught up with demand? My East Coast friends are still staying home on the weekends because there simply aren't enough folks back at it.

Los Angeles is a loving mess.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
I used to drive for Uber on the side, and they’re currently offering me $100 if I go out and give three rides of any distance in Denver. gonna venture a guess that they’re hosed.

I retired my 6 year old redoxx cpa bag in favor of this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PX2PNS6/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_4CP82D0RXZ5S0QK8046T?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

the redoxx is a fuckin tank and would easily last another 20, but I don’t need to carry as much poo poo with me as I used to. the b&r is smaller, sleeker, and gave me the little heroin rush of spending money and forgetting that i’m traveling again soon.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

sellouts posted:

Los Angeles is a loving mess.

Ugh.

Part of me wants to immediately bolt out there the very moment of June 15th to visit friends and family I haven't seen in over a year. :smith:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

So, I'm off to South Africa in like 4 days and uh... return travel is getting complicated. ATL-JNB is down for now, and best I can tell, LHR and AMS aren't even going to allow transit passengers from ZA on the way back home.

Any ideas on cut-out countries to use? Still doing the negative test and everything, just want to find the airport that'll let us keep transiting through to the US.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

movax posted:

So, I'm off to South Africa in like 4 days and uh... return travel is getting complicated. ATL-JNB is down for now, and best I can tell, LHR and AMS aren't even going to allow transit passengers from ZA on the way back home.

Any ideas on cut-out countries to use? Still doing the negative test and everything, just want to find the airport that'll let us keep transiting through to the US.

IST (TK), DOH (QR), and ADD (ET) would be on my list.

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

movax posted:

JNB>Lagos(LOS)>ATL?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

End destination is SEA, I'm Diamond on Delta so I'm inclined to pick them... United has a JNB-EWR flight that is allegedly starting a day or two before we get there, which would at least provide a guaranteed single hop back to the states.

Delta through CDG might be an option, at expense of an extra stop, but best I can tell, CDG has not done any red list type stuff... I think my co-worker will want to do United before we try DOH or DXB; FWIW DXB has also red-listed ZA.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
IST and the Gulf boys should be pretty reliable - you might have to lose that Delta loyalty for this one.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

IST and the Gulf boys should be pretty reliable - you might have to lose that Delta loyalty for this one.

Yup, that DOH-SEA line is going to be nice, or IST-SFO if he wants to do a non-stop into the west coast.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Water Resistant posted:

People are renting U-haul trucks in Hawaii because of the rental car shortages.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/25/us/hawaii-u-haul-tourist-rental-trnd/index.html

"The cheapest rental car in Maui in March ran for $722 a day"

haha, wow.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

My Maui car was less than 100/day after all taxes and fees and what not. That story had some serious wtf circumstances

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

sellouts posted:

My Maui car was less than 100/day after all taxes and fees and what not. That story had some serious wtf circumstances

I rented a car in CA for a bit once things re-opened, rates were at least 2x normal.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I reserved a National full size car on big Island Hawaii for like $90 a day for a week. Seems high but not insane. Also one day from HNL for $110 for a convertible.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Still getting my $31/day rate at ATL these days.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Still getting my $31/day rate at ATL these days.

Yup, I see about the same at AUS, DEN, and MKE.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Beef Of Ages posted:

Yup, I see about the same at AUS, DEN, and MKE.

When quoting a car without my corporate code, I get astronomical prices. When I quoting a car for work, or even just with my corp code, it's the same price as usual.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Cacafuego posted:

When quoting a car without my corporate code, I get astronomical prices. When I quoting a car for work, or even just with my corp code, it's the same price as usual.

yeah I always use my corporate code so that's probably why

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

ooooh lemme try my old corporate code

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
yo, anyone still updating this favorite eats map?

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1V-xp290Ubu9ufevtg2M9549ZNviuqAth&ll=40.764439419473945%2C-111.89980491651278&z=19

I need good grub in Athens and Gainesville

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Small White Dragon posted:

I rented a car in CA for a bit once things re-opened, rates were at least 2x normal.

Yea it’s more expensive in a lot of places, sure. My Maui rate is more, but $731/day cheapest rate is so far from what I’ve seen both in Maui and generally speaking.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I’m not even using a corporate rate. Just MasterCard world elite with national. Turns out it was cheaper than Autoslash though.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Mandalay posted:

I’m not even using a corporate rate. Just MasterCard world elite with national. Turns out it was cheaper than Autoslash though.

Makes sense; they won't offer card-specific rates like that because you (in theory) need that specific card to qualify.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I have a rental booked in Maui fir next February for like $40/day and I 100% expect that reservation to disappear

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

I couldn't dig up any of my old corporate codes but the chase concierge was able to offer me more reasonable rates. Still a bit elevated but much better than what I was finding anywhere else. I think I'm still going to hold off a month and see if things stabilize a bit

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Omne posted:

I have a rental booked in Maui fir next February for like $40/day and I 100% expect that reservation to disappear

There’s no reason to think this. However if you want reservations anywhere you should start looking as soon as they open.

When I say everything is booked I mean almost everything is booked for weeks from now. I’ve cooled on Maui for this alone. It’s hard to take 900-2k/night and high tier status and be told to kick rocks at every restaurant on the property which is what has happened to me and other people I know here a few weeks ago.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Omne posted:

If supply chain issues haven't cleared up by then, well, we'll all be in a weird place.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Omne posted:

Either that or they keep the reservation and then tell you they're out of cars, which has happened to me twice and made sure I avoid any rental company whose name is money-related.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Attempting to interpret cdc guidance that says you have to present a negative test up to 3 days before you fly into the states from Mexico....if I got tested.... Wednesday I can fly Saturday? Because the example the cdc has on the website is test Tuesday to fly Friday and I'm like???

The group all got tested wed and they're pretty adamant they don't need to get tested closer.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Waroduce posted:

Attempting to interpret cdc guidance that says you have to present a negative test up to 3 days before you fly into the states from Mexico....if I got tested.... Wednesday I can fly Saturday? Because the example the cdc has on the website is test Tuesday to fly Friday and I'm like???

The group all got tested wed and they're pretty adamant they don't need to get tested closer.

It's going to be checked by airline staff prior to boarding so your mileage will most assuredly vary. I take the CDC guidance to mean that you can get a test three days in advance of your day of travel, hence their example of a test on Tuesday enabling travel on Friday.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Beef Of Ages posted:

It's going to be checked by airline staff prior to boarding so your mileage will most assuredly vary. I take the CDC guidance to mean that you can get a test three days in advance of your day of travel, hence their example of a test on Tuesday enabling travel on Friday.

The CDC may have clearer guidance, but in general this has been super confusing for every country and there's really no way to confirm so I've been erring on the conservative side.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

asur posted:

The CDC may have clearer guidance, but in general this has been super confusing for every country and there's really no way to confirm so I've been erring on the conservative side.

To be sure, someone somewhere is absolutely going to have that problem.

ThoiBoi
May 15, 2009
Looking forward to Maui early August as well. Luckily still had my corporate code associated to my profile so car rental was not bad for a week :grin: Looking forward to traveling again, been grounded for far too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Quite the slice of humanity flying phl-mco.

:negative: