Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I dislike the seatruck and the snowfox. Seamoth and cyclops were better.

The worst part about all of it is that they removed the cyclops because people complained about driving it in small locations and they replaced it with the seatruck which is long and slow and they reduced the size of all the places you drive it and just recreated the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
You know what really would have been best, if the Seatruck base unit was slightly larger and the Fabricator was an Upgrade to it rather than a whole separate module.
I think people might like it better if it wasnt so stunted to begin with.

Over all I did notice some changes between last update and release.
Things like I used to be able to cheat a little and tack up something with nickle and get it for free early, but they dont seem to bring nice ores now.
Also an area that I always set up my base used to have a bunch of monkeys around it but was pretty sparse this time.
I did find some nickle way earlier this time on the way down to Margs place though not much or it was sparse.
And a few places that were kinda safe had some baddies in it that werent there before.

I do still enjoy BZ immensely and am glad I got to play another Subnautica.
And would welcome another.
Or at least another like it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Thank you whomever for telling me you can just fukken bonk the annoying creatures to death with the truck

rip idiots lmao

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 18, 2021

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

do creatures at least as big as sharks in below zero stay permanently dead like in subnautica? I'm sick of these creatures which constantly make insanely loud noises as if they're a big threat when they're not that dangerous, and I want to clear them out around my base.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Vargs posted:

I never did put a single non-depth module upgrade in the truck though, which was a bummer. Just didn't come across all of the parts necessary to build anything else. I think it was much easier to find scannable bits in the first game where you are generally cruising around looking for enormous wrecked sections of the Aurora, as opposed to Below Zero where you are instead generally looking for sea monkey nests scattered about in small cave mazes.

It's amazing how there are literally dozens of broken seatrucks scattered all over the place, but the upgrades can only be found in 1 sub-biome, and only in sea monkey nests.

Never mind the sea glider fragments, there must have been hundreds of crashes with those death traps.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

do creatures at least as big as sharks in below zero stay permanently dead like in subnautica? I'm sick of these creatures which constantly make insanely loud noises as if they're a big threat when they're not that dangerous, and I want to clear them out around my base.

They don't stay dead in subnautica. Even the leviathans respawn in a couple hours.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

uXs posted:

It's amazing how there are literally dozens of broken seatrucks scattered all over the place, but the upgrades can only be found in 1 sub-biome, and only in sea monkey nests.

Never mind the sea glider fragments, there must have been hundreds of crashes with those death traps.

Look the that one guy from the voice records lost the company alot of money. They were operating at a huge loss.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Zerilan posted:

Er, the original, not Below Zero.

Pointers for the original's early game:
1) You get quest progression early on in the form of radio messages, don't forget to pick them up. Once you have a base, you can build a radio so you don't need to keep going back to the lifepod.
2) When you go to explore the Aurora, bring a fire extinguisher, a laser cutter, and a repair tool.
3) Always carry beacons when you go out exploring, so that later, you can find your way back to a cool thing you found. Also if you dive way down intoa cave, you have a better chance of finding the exit if you beaconed it first.
4) Never park vehicles in extremely shallow water, if you get far away enough that the game despawns it, when you get back, the vehicle can respawn several meters off from where you left it, and if you get unlicky, that might mean it respawns under the ground or inside a cliff wall.

This last one's personal opinion, but alongside the obvious step of prioritising getting a vehicle and better O2 tanks, I'd also prioritise getting a Scanner Room and the upgrade for the room that puts the scanned material on your HUD. Gathering materials becomes so much easier once you have that.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

Tenzarin posted:

Look the that one guy from the voice records lost the company alot of money. They were operating at a huge loss.

Yeah, I found his PDA about 8 hours into the game and chuckled.

Side note, coming up on 11 hours of just doing chill stuff other than exploring the first big underwater wreck I've seen. I've had enough of unmodded though so I loaded up nexus and went nuts.

The seatruck mods will probably neutralize any complaints I'd have about missing the seamoth. Inventory fuckery though has to stop.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Got my rear end kicked today. :v:

https://clips.twitch.tv/EphemeralAggressiveZebraPermaSmug-mMsxOr3Tpwwt2fTW

Has anyone else gotten stuck here?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Finished it. The late game is fine, less impressive than the original, but that was always going to be hard to top. Re: Sam I can infer that she kamakazied the virus base with her seatruck, but it's never explicitly stated in pdas I found. Did I miss something? I feel like the PDAs trailed off with her finding out they were shenaniganing with the virus and her beau wasn't going to take her concerns seriously.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Eifert Posting posted:

Finished it. The late game is fine, less impressive than the original, but that was always going to be hard to top. Re: Sam I can infer that she kamakazied the virus base with her seatruck, but it's never explicitly stated in pdas I found. Did I miss something? I feel like the PDAs trailed off with her finding out they were shenaniganing with the virus and her beau wasn't going to take her concerns seriously.

truck bombing the seabase was Marguerit's contribution, they met up and got conspiring. There's PDAs lying around that fill in the blanks right up until her death but they're missable. That one in particular I think is in the greenhouse

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
I don't know why anyone would use the snowfox when the prawn is available. If you stick a grapple on it, you can launch yourself forward at like 20 m/s on land.
e: Hell, maybe even double that if you time it just right.

Plek fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 18, 2021

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I have to admit I'm a little confused what to do next. I stopped getting messages from my onboard friend and have literally no guidance about where to go so I'm just wandering.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Zesty posted:

Marguerit Storyline Spoiler
Thanks for turning off that tower. Have a marblemelon. *leaves the plot*

I'm still very confused about what the point of her storyline even was

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i was always under the impression that the scariness came more from people being afraid of the ocean.

Yeah. I played both subnautica and a bit of RE2 today (blind-ish run since i never really got to playing it either) and found subnautica way more unnerving.

So far I've managed to get to pods 3 and 17, get the habitat builder, and make a tiny 4 room base at the edge of the kelp forest so I can put stuff in lockers. Might install the easycraft mod to make the inventory management a little smoother once I'm crafting more.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Vargs posted:

One of the main issues that I took with Below Zero was the increased focus on story and characters. 1 had a really great, lonely vibe to it that felt reminiscent of Metroid Prime 1 which I also love. The plot taking a backseat while only offering little hints until the very end was to its benefit. What little bits of interaction and characterization that existed with the Sea Emperor and your PDA AI were reasonably well done. BZ? Not so well done, and its everpresent nature really kills the atmosphere.

The weird thing is that despite having more talkative characters, the breadcrumbs overall feel less helpful to the player. Take the Koppa Mining Site. It's supposed to be breadcrumbed by Alan tagging an artifact near the bottom of the site, but all this tells you is that there's some sort of cave system below the Delta Island. But the entrance to this cave system could be anywhere around the island, or on the island itself. So you get a hint that isn't very helpful while simultaneously robbing the player of any agency in actually finding the site.

Meanwhile, while the first game didn't have Outer Wild's mastery of subtly guiding the player through environmental cues it would give the player distress signals and then have those signals just happen to be near wrecks or cave entrances that the player would stumble into while following the signal. (With this, like most things, breaking down in the endgame)

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Zerilan posted:

Yeah. I played both subnautica and a bit of RE2 today (blind-ish run since i never really got to playing it either) and found subnautica way more unnerving.

So far I've managed to get to pods 3 and 17, get the habitat builder, and make a tiny 4 room base at the edge of the kelp forest so I can put stuff in lockers. Might install the easycraft mod to make the inventory management a little smoother once I'm crafting more.

As you're not opposed to using mods, I'll also suggest these:

AutosortLockers
BetterScannerBlips
DataBoxScannerFix
LargeDepositsFix
MoonpoolVehicleRepair
MoreQuickSlots
SnapBuilder

They pretty much all do what their name indicates and either fix things or - like easycraft - make the game less tedious. EasyCraft is available for BZ as well, thank god. AutosortLockers isn't though, which is a shame.

And finally, SubnauticaMap adds an in-game map that gets revealed as you explore.

I would basically recommend using all these mods, even on a first playthrough. (Except the map. Keep that for the 2nd time.) I'm playing BZ now and doing exactly that. And I'm probably going to install the map mod right before the end to see if I missed anything.

(There's also CustomizedStorage, which is great, but also has the possibility of making the game too easy. Still, it's all customizable so you're in control.)

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Not sure if it’s the same map mod but the one I put on the OG Subnautica didn’t pick up places I’d been to prior to installation, so you might not want to count on it highlighting what you’ve missed. I installed it and loaded up a save right at the end and nothing was revealed until I went exploring post-install.

If it’s the one that adds a PDA tab I’d say get it installed and active now and just don’t use it, if you just want to check coverage at the end.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Hot take - don’t use quality of life mods. Tons of the enjoyment is in organizing resources and remembering to bring beacons and not knowing where something is. It creates stories and makes it feel real

Having all your items sorted for you automatically sounds dumb as hell. Why not just use console commands. Making a big base and getting ingredients ready then hull integrity falls and oh poo poo where did I leave my repair tool is the point of the game.

And like a map? I mean cmon. A map would straight up ruin this game. Draw one yourself with a ruler and some colored pencils.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Microcline posted:

The weird thing is that despite having more talkative characters, the breadcrumbs overall feel less helpful to the player. Take the Koppa Mining Site. It's supposed to be breadcrumbed by Alan tagging an artifact near the bottom of the site, but all this tells you is that there's some sort of cave system below the Delta Island. But the entrance to this cave system could be anywhere around the island, or on the island itself. So you get a hint that isn't very helpful while simultaneously robbing the player of any agency in actually finding the site.

Meanwhile, while the first game didn't have Outer Wild's mastery of subtly guiding the player through environmental cues it would give the player distress signals and then have those signals just happen to be near wrecks or cave entrances that the player would stumble into while following the signal. (With this, like most things, breaking down in the endgame)

Did you miss the map on the wall on Delta Island? It pretty much points you exactly to the Kappa mining site

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/MYk6Flb.mp4

that's enough subnautica for today!

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

I'm 16 hours into playing BZ only in VR and while there is a bit of jank here and there I really love this way of playing the game. The environments feel so much bigger, as do the monsters.

I miss the Cyclops a lot, though, and oh my God the game needs better story beats to get you to where it wants you. I spent like 6 hours wandering trying to figure out how to get into a habitat I found with a locked door, and it turns out on my first pass through an area a cutscene just... didn't play, so I never got the prompt to progress.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

So, a friend of mine got stuck somewhere in Below Zero and needed to use the console to get unstuck. Now Steam achievements are permanently disabled on that save file. I know it's a long shot, but does anyone know of a way to re-enable them? Maybe editing the save or something?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

So, a friend of mine got stuck somewhere in Below Zero and needed to use the console to get unstuck. Now Steam achievements are permanently disabled on that save file. I know it's a long shot, but does anyone know of a way to re-enable them? Maybe editing the save or something?

That's pretty bullshit if they are prema disabled in a game as janky as these.

At launch for the base game the intro sequence glitched out to just float uselessly in the air, so I spawned a working fire extinguisher to not sit through reloading a brand new world, but at least cheevos were only disabled until you restarted the game (unless they patched it to be even worse later?) and I only lost 1/4th the campaign progress resetting entirely for cheevos rather than more.

Are there any low hanging fruit cheevos he could clear to confirm if they are perma disabled? Or is it a known fact they perma disable now because catering to purist gamer cred > polish?

EDIT: Hmm, every single one of them seems plot/tech progression based except "Build a jukebox" (If you don't count spy pengling and snow suit construction).

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:44 on May 18, 2021

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Section Z posted:

That's pretty bullshit if they are prema disabled in a game as janky as these.

At launch for the base game the intro sequence glitched out to just float uselessly in the air, so I spawned a working fire extinguisher to not sit through reloading a brand new world, but at least cheevos were only disabled until you restarted the game (unless they patched it to be even worse later?) and I only lost 1/4th the campaign progress resetting entirely for cheevos rather than more.

Are there any low hanging fruit cheevos he could clear to confirm if they are perma disabled? Or is it a known fact they perma disable now because catering to purist gamer cred > polish?

EDIT: Hmm, every single one of them seems plot/tech progression based except "Build a jukebox"

The original Subnautica only disabled them until you restarted the game. Below Zero disables them until you start a new save.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Just finished the game, overall I thought it was great, and for an expansion they gave you a lot for your money. The Arctic spires suck, but so did the lava zone in the main game.
I also really liked the ending.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Tom Tucker posted:

Hot take - don’t use quality of life mods. Tons of the enjoyment is in organizing resources and remembering to bring beacons and not knowing where something is. It creates stories and makes it feel real

Having all your items sorted for you automatically sounds dumb as hell. Why not just use console commands. Making a big base and getting ingredients ready then hull integrity falls and oh poo poo where did I leave my repair tool is the point of the game.

And like a map? I mean cmon. A map would straight up ruin this game. Draw one yourself with a ruler and some colored pencils.

I'm avoiding the map but I always hate inventory management poo poo and will welcome any QoL to help with it

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I like EasyCraft a lot. The most tedious parts of inventory management are definitely not the point of the game.

I would not be opposed to an in-universe thing like the quantum footlocker that lets fabricators pull from hab storage. Maybe a series of pneumatic tubes.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Fallom posted:

I like EasyCraft a lot. The most tedious parts of inventory management are definitely not the point of the game.

I would not be opposed to an in-universe thing like the quantum footlocker that lets fabricators pull from hab storage. Maybe a series of pneumatic tubes.

I kinda thought that's what they where going for with the Ion Cube Locker, some sort of high-tech QoL thingie. I found no use cases for it however =[ it's size4 and only holds size16, so it's like 1/5th of a storage module for the truck with no way to get more. whoopie.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Tom Tucker posted:

I'm probably not going to convince you, but I love the mods I'm using. So here's what each of them does and why I like them:

Easycraft: this pulls ingredients for anything you need to craft from nearby inventories. You still need to have the resources nearby, it just saves you a ton of pointless 10-seconds back and forth trips from your storage room to the fabricator or to where you're building a new base room or whatever. Easily my #1 mod, because having to walk into my storage, to get the 1 copper I forgot for the 100th copper wire I need to make, is not my idea of fun or challenge.

AutosortLockers: gives you an 'input' locker, and a filtered 'storage' locker. (Both of which are more expensive than the standard ones. They are a bit larger than the standard too though, so eh, probably balances out.) Everything you dump into the input locker gets sorted into your storage lockers, and you can put filters on your storage lockers to restrict what gets sorted in them. Again, you still need to build the lockers, you still need to organize them, you still need to gather the resources, it just saves you manually putting the resources into the correct ones. And as a massive bonus, it gives you about a hundred colors for your lockers to choose from. That alone increases my organizing enjoyment tenfold.

BetterScannerBlips: makes the scanner blips bigger and smaller depending on distance, and adds a key for turning them on or off. Small QoL thing that makes going out for resources a little bit nicer.

DataBoxScannerFix & LargeDepositsFix: removes scanner blips for already opened and for depleted large ore deposits. These are just bugfixes because you're never going to convince me that keeping scanner blips active for things that are no longer there, is a good thing.

MoonpoolVehicleRepair: about the only difference this makes is that when you bang the seamoth on entering your base, the scratches get taken off.

MoreQuickSlots: I really don't see why having to open my inventory and selecting a different tool for a quickslot item a few hundred times per playthrough would be more challenging than annoying. And you still need to have the tools in your inventory, it's not going to magically summon a laser cutter or a beacon if you forgot to take one or if you run out. (I also strongly suspect that only having 5 slots by default is because they only had about 5 tools in early development and never bothered to increase the amount of slots.)

SnapBuilder: if you can't appreciate having all your lockers hanging perfectly centered and at the exact same height on your walls, you must be some kind of deviant.

So to summarize: sure there's enjoyment in organizing. I just prefer to organize the automation instead of having to manually put a thing into another thing, and repeat that a thousand times. It also doesn't have anything to do with forgetting beacons. And when the hull integrity fails I just use my repair tool, just like you. The only difference is that mine is always in slot 5.

The point of the game, for me, is exploring the deep sea, and building cool bases and big gently caress-off submarines. Not doing the pointless busywork of manually putting a copper into the right locker and then getting it back 10 minutes later.

Restrictive and repetitive manual inventory management has been in gaming for decades, and it's time for it to go. It's not challenging, it's not fun, it's just annoying and takes away from what your actual game should be about. If your game becomes empty when you remove it, frankly, your game sucks.

I do agree about the map. Don't use it unless you've finished the game at least once. But also, do replay the game at least once with it, because you've probably missed something cool during your first playthrough and the map will show you.

uXs fucked around with this message at 13:18 on May 18, 2021

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Tom Tucker posted:

Your adventurous spirit reminds me of an endless 1994 summer of playing Star Control II and reviewing my meticulous notes.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I agree on the no-map rule but easy craft is mandatory for me. I did glitch out though and let me build the radar tower override thing without the prereq quantum computer tube thing. Whatever, no biggie on that one.

I don't see what interesting stories are to be had with "And then I thought I had all the ingredients I needed but actually I didn't so I had to go back across the room and grab something else".

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Can someone explain to me how the gently caress putting down a scanner room works

This:

is apparently poobrain, even though it connects to the fuckin main room, while this:

is how I'm meant to attach it even though you can't ladder up cause there's a machine in the middle of the room!!!

How do I build this piece of poo poo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Can someone explain to me how the gently caress putting down a scanner room works

This:

is apparently poobrain, even though it connects to the fuckin main room, while this:

is how I'm meant to attach it even though you can't ladder up cause there's a machine in the middle of the room!!!

Its clipping through the foundation on the first one. It wants more clearance than you'd expect on the top and bottom, but apparently can still auto snap to poo poo.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Pollyanna posted:

This:

Did you retroactively add those foundations after the multipurpose room on the right had been built?
I made that mistake and then couldn't remove the foundation without removing the attached objects. Unfortunately, you also can't just remove the multipurpose room without all attached objects contained therein, which was most of my full lockers and other poo poo at that point, so I just went "I guess that foundation is gonna stay there forever now".

Retroactively adding foundations to existing buildings can have the side-effect that the foundation snaps to the building higher (and clip through the bottom bit a little) than if you would place the building on top of the already placed foundation.
When you then try to connect something to the first building, it'll tell you that it "collides" with the same foundation that ironically "does not collide with" the existing building.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

100% sure the foundation was there first.

Wrr posted:

Its clipping through the foundation on the first one. It wants more clearance than you'd expect on the top and bottom, but apparently can still auto snap to poo poo.

I'm so confused because of the above. :psyduck:

I'll experiment a bit after work.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
I've not done much base building in below zero yet but I never really used foundations in subnautica because of how fiddly they were. I generally prefer how the base modules look when directly on the sea floor rather than foundations and it avoids clipping issues etc. Just use more bulkheads and reinforcements!

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Pollyanna posted:

This:

You should build your scanner room like this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, a lot of "why won't it let me build here?!?!" is due to buildings needing more clearance than you might think. Scanners and Moonpods need a lot more space than their blueprint suggests.