Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Add me to the list of people who played Demeo recently and had an absolute blast. The foundation here is really solid (it understands what makes a good dice-chucking dungeon crawler tick and discards anything that would slow it down too much) and the content that does exist shows that the developers know how to make something out of these systems. And on the VR side of things, it's got the same appeal as PokerStars VR of simulating a social experience really well.

It also doesn't hurt that it's one of the best looking games on the Quest just because it's emulating something fairly simple and doing it perfectly rather than reaching for something greater and coming up short like too many other games do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

explosivo posted:

I really wish there was a multi-pack discount type deal for this game. I'd love to play this with my friends who have HMD's but $30 is a hard sell for them.

It's so weird to me that people will pay hundreds of dollars to get into VR, and then balk at paying a modest amount of money for a fun VR game.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Shine posted:

It's so weird to me that people will pay hundreds of dollars to get into VR, and then balk at paying a modest amount of money for a fun VR game.

In my friends' defense I hype up a lot of co-op stuff that we all buy that doesn't always pan out so I kinda get it :shobon:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

raditts posted:

According to this site
https://casandchary.com/oculus-quest-app-sharing-list/

Demeo allows app sharing at least, although I guess that doesn't really help unless everyone involved has the same primary user on their headsets.

drat, really wish they had a PC version that would work on the Rift S. Air link has been working so well for me on Q2 though that I'm tempted to sell the RiftS and just pick up a second Quest.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Shine posted:

Its even funnier when it was 2 years ago and no quest was around and you knew they spent 1000+ to do VR.

Can't buy 20-30$ game but have a 1000$ gpu to run VR.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The sim racing paradox, spend hundreds on a racing wheel and whine about a game costing $40.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
waiting to see if vive 2 wireless performance is good enough to get me to ditch my g2 and go in for another four digits

thinking I'm going to skip this generation, if I can stand to. 90% of what i play is seated anyway.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Enos Cabell posted:

drat, really wish they had a PC version that would work on the Rift S. Air link has been working so well for me on Q2 though that I'm tempted to sell the RiftS and just pick up a second Quest.

They have a PC version, it's on Steam and it's cheaper.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Turin Turambar posted:

They have a PC version, it's on Steam and it's cheaper.

Shows as the same price for me, but I want it on Oculus store for crossbuy reasons anyway.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Enos Cabell posted:

Shows as the same price for me, but I want it on Oculus store for crossbuy reasons anyway.

Really hate this whole oculus store thing. I get that this is how things work, but it sucks trying to decide each time I buy a game if I'm going to want the mobile quest version or the way cheaper humble bundle/ steam sale version.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Dr_Amazing posted:

Really hate this whole oculus store thing. I get that this is how things work, but it sucks trying to decide each time I buy a game if I'm going to want the mobile quest version or the way cheaper humble bundle/ steam sale version.

Buy less entertainment devices, then you will have an easier time deciding? :P :P

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Honestly virtual desktop is so good these days that I don’t give it a lot of thought anymore

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I still like it more than air link right now

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Dr_Amazing posted:

See also: the Switch.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

sethsez posted:

See also: the Switch.

I didn't say it, but it was what was actually thinking, how is the same as deciding to buy x in Switch or PS4.

https://www.oculus.com/blog/see-yourself-in-vr-with-live-overlay-plus-new-infinite-office-features-and-more-in-latest-oculus-update/
- We’re bringing Multi-User and App Sharing to owners of the original Quest.
-A new Casting feature will let you superimpose your real-world self over the digital world.
- And if you’re already using the system-level Infinite Office features, then iOS phone notifications, a new Passthrough environment shortcut, a Files App, and more will help you stay productive with your headset on.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

God drat they keep getting better and better with the OS features. I wish to god it was anyone other than FB though. Oh well, may as enjoy hellworld.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

https://play.decentraland.org/

Its Roblox, but for adults because of the blockchain

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Warbird posted:

God drat they keep getting better and better with the OS features. I wish to god it was anyone other than FB though. Oh well, may as enjoy hellworld.

If we make a list from the release of Q2, the list of new feature is at this point pretty impressive:

Link improvements. A bit more stable, better image quality, which can be forced for more resolution
Air Link
120hz screen mode
Guardian improvements: bring your couch or desk to vr, keyboard too with the Logitech one
the whole Infinity Office initiative
Voice commands
AppLab
MultiUser accounts
App sharing for those accounts
Facebook Messenger integration
Oculus Move
Improved casting
Hand tracking improvements

That said, they still need some more work:

The social features, party system etc is so badly designed it received a heavy scolding by John Carmack in his last keynote
The library app/home widget, it's too small, it lacks ways to hide things, or to do custom organization, it needs more categories for things like AppLab, etc
Oculus tv need filters and sort order. That's just the basic stuff, on my wishlist it would be subtitle support like in Youtube too

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The desk/couch stuff is real nice if you have a setup that has either. What kills me though is some apps won't launch if you're at your desk but give no cares if you're in a standing config 3 feet away. Speaking of it's really nice that the HMD can scan and remember play areas. "It just works"

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

About Demeo. I think it's funny the push it's receiving on Quest... if only because the game doesn't seem to be designed for it? I'm talking of the length of the games. With 4 friends, in between the casual talk (part of the tabletop experience!), the 4 heroes actions, and discussing what to do, a full game can exceed a full battery charge of the Quest! I hope people play it with an extra battery or plugged to the wall, it has to be super funny when the devices turn off just before killing the final boss, lol.

In fact, it seems to me the game is lacking in customization options, like dungeon size presets, difficulties, maybe even an option to turn off the infinite enemy spawn....

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Turin Turambar posted:

In fact, it seems to me the game is lacking in customization options, like dungeon size presets, difficulties, maybe even an option to turn off the infinite enemy spawn....

Yeah this all made me kind of hesitant to buy it, kinda seems like once you play the scenarios that's about it right? And as of now there really aren't that many in the game?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Professor Wayne posted:

I still like it more than air link right now

Same here. VD is more reliable, stable and stutter free for me

I like having air link as an option and I’m sure it will get better with time, but if I could only choose one I’d choose virtual desktop right now.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Same here. VD is more reliable, stable and stutter free for me

I like having air link as an option and I’m sure it will get better with time, but if I could only choose one I’d choose virtual desktop right now.

Same especially and until they fix whatever the rapid fire triggers not registering thing.

Enderzero fucked around with this message at 02:53 on May 18, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah I have still been using VD, I find the UI much better than the oculus link stuff and also i paid for it so :shrug:. If someone was just getting into VR I'd probably just suggest AirLink though.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

e: Wrong thread

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Anyone use any of the productivity apps on the oculus store? I've been using Immersed for a few weeks and aside from a couple annoying features, it's pretty polished and it's nice to float in outer space surrounded by monitors. It's got hand tracking too so you can poke and pinch things to access them and move them around, although that part could use a bit of improvement. The free version streams one extra "virtual monitor" in addition to any real monitors you have hooked up and the paid version gives you 4 extra. Not sure what the max number of screens is that it'll stream if you combine virtual and real, though. It's $12 a month for the paid version which feels like a bit much, but it's great for keeping me organized while shitposting on the side and I'm trying to evanglize to people at work so hopefully enough other people want it that they'll eat the cost for me.

I also tried vSpatial when looking for alternatives that don't cost as much, but it's pretty ugly and clunky and the interface seems largely centered around using controllers only. Also doesn't have virtual monitors, apparently from what I read looking around about it it's difficult to implement and Immersed is the only one I was able to find that actually does it.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

About Demeo. I think it's funny the push it's receiving on Quest... if only because the game doesn't seem to be designed for it? I'm talking of the length of the games. With 4 friends, in between the casual talk (part of the tabletop experience!), the 4 heroes actions, and discussing what to do, a full game can exceed a full battery charge of the Quest! I hope people play it with an extra battery or plugged to the wall, it has to be super funny when the devices turn off just before killing the final boss, lol.

Yeah this is definitely an issue, a 3 man run took 3 hours the other night and without external batteries one or more of us would have ran out of power. The game shouldn't really take that long though, I'm realizing. We didn't know about the infinitely spawning enemies so we probably wasted an hour on the second level just holing up in a room fighting off a bunch of waves thinking it would eventually stop. We probably could have finished quicker if we realized that. I really want an option to turn off the infinite enemies, or at least limit the number of respawns. I was thinking it'd be more like Hero Quest where each room presents a scripted group of enemies.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Beer_Suitcase posted:

No crypto

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

VegasGoat posted:

Yeah this is definitely an issue, a 3 man run took 3 hours the other night and without external batteries one or more of us would have ran out of power. The game shouldn't really take that long though, I'm realizing. We didn't know about the infinitely spawning enemies so we probably wasted an hour on the second level just holing up in a room fighting off a bunch of waves thinking it would eventually stop. We probably could have finished quicker if we realized that. I really want an option to turn off the infinite enemies, or at least limit the number of respawns. I was thinking it'd be more like Hero Quest where each room presents a scripted group of enemies.
I've definitely found that people drag out a run way, way longer than it needs to be. You absolutely don't need to clear every marked point of interest after getting the key unless you're about to get to the third floor and have nothing. My current pet peeve is when someone takes off on their own. Half the assassins I play with just stealth and open boxes on the other side of the map, even if we all have full hands and could use their high damage to get through the floor faster. I played with a hunter last night who went off on their own on the second floor and had to spend all their cards to stay alive by the time we made it to the exit, and they weren't even able to open any chests or grab gold. Even if it doesn't cause a wipe, it just drags the game out so much.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Anyone having issues with VRChat? In the last couple of days the streaming performance has crashed hard for me. The game itself is running as smooth as butter, but over Virtual Desktop, AirLink and regular Link it is struggling to display a stable picture, and frequently shows SteamVR as it drops entirely for a brief moment. No other games are affected.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Beer_Suitcase posted:

inb4 we mine our VR headsets for extra crypto

It looks too sketch to be of use, not gonna lie.

That said, I tried out two weird games last night: VR Skater and Hell Road VR.

VR Skater seems alright, though I'm still doing tutorials since the game considered Flip And Shuvits more noteworthy than doing a grind. That said, it kinda feels fun to do the basic tricks. Flick the left wand forward-left for a kickflip, flick the right wand past your rear end to do a shuvit, swing your head to the left or right as you're ollieing to ollie in a direction. Might be a good sale one, but I'd need to get into it more.

Hell Road VR is... kinda okay? Gunplay's way too loving lightfeeling, as someone who frequented H3VR. Also there's only really one tolerable controlling mode (JOYSTICK), as the other to modes either require you to tilt your head to turn or simulate grabbing a handle bar with one hand. Both really don't bode well when the objective is to not get eaten by zombos. It's still pretty nice feeling to drive by the undead, though. Or skewer them with a spear. Definitely a sale game, not gonna lie.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

widespread posted:

inb4 we mine our VR headsets for extra crypto

It looks too sketch to be of use, not gonna lie.

That said, I tried out two weird games last night: VR Skater and Hell Road VR.

VR Skater seems alright, though I'm still doing tutorials since the game considered Flip And Shuvits more noteworthy than doing a grind. That said, it kinda feels fun to do the basic tricks. Flick the left wand forward-left for a kickflip, flick the right wand past your rear end to do a shuvit, swing your head to the left or right as you're ollieing to ollie in a direction. Might be a good sale one, but I'd need to get into it more.

Hell Road VR is... kinda okay? Gunplay's way too loving lightfeeling, as someone who frequented H3VR. Also there's only really one tolerable controlling mode (JOYSTICK), as the other to modes either require you to tilt your head to turn or simulate grabbing a handle bar with one hand. Both really don't bode well when the objective is to not get eaten by zombos. It's still pretty nice feeling to drive by the undead, though. Or skewer them with a spear. Definitely a sale game, not gonna lie.

Skater, all of that agreed plus pushing is sketchy af. As someone who used to skate, like, its fine if it all worked right all the time. Theres some bullshit though. They need to let you move a few steps when it resets you. They just need to revamp that part of the game to be honest. Hope they take the feedback because its a lot of fun.

HellRoad VR, Thank you for the review, just saw this poo poo went "wait, this looks kinda fun for 12 bucks".

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 18, 2021

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Beer_Suitcase posted:

This is just second life but with mining, isn't it?

Can't wait to figure out why my Q2 runs out of battery in 30 minutes and is also on fire.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

That blockchain game's website brought my PC to a loving crawl, that was crazy.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

mutata posted:

That blockchain game's website brought my PC to a loving crawl, that was crazy.

Look, rendering a website is tricky business. Without those 10,000 scripts running, how would you be able to see text and images??

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Anyone having issues with VRChat? In the last couple of days the streaming performance has crashed hard for me. The game itself is running as smooth as butter, but over Virtual Desktop, AirLink and regular Link it is struggling to display a stable picture, and frequently shows SteamVR as it drops entirely for a brief moment. No other games are affected.

Sounds like the 11fps bug, which happens sometimes if you bring up the steamVR menu.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy
Anyone have fps issues with Halflife Alyx? I have a 3080 and i5 8600k, and while it runs fine almost all the time I occasionally get drops down to 40fps. Happens on both Rift S and Quest 2, and doesn't seem to matter what quality settings I run it at. I've never really been that fussed, but just read a tech performance review that says a 2080 gets 180fps n never drops a frame. fpsVR has my cpu n gpu both running about 60%.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Fired up my Q2 for the first time in a few months bc I was craving some Superhot and was bombarded with 'tracking lost' errors, and now even though they've gone away following a few reboots it's still horrendously nauseatingly wobbly. I was worried that it had somehow developed some kind of hardware problem in the time it's been sitting unused but a quick search on Reddit suggests that v27 and a bunch of other upgrades have introduced, fixed, and re-introduced this nasty wobbly tracking problem and god jesus christ. Factory reset time maybe I guess?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Pretty good posted:

Fired up my Q2 for the first time in a few months bc I was craving some Superhot and was bombarded with 'tracking lost' errors, and now even though they've gone away following a few reboots it's still horrendously nauseatingly wobbly. I was worried that it had somehow developed some kind of hardware problem in the time it's been sitting unused but a quick search on Reddit suggests that v27 and a bunch of other upgrades have introduced, fixed, and re-introduced this nasty wobbly tracking problem and god jesus christ. Factory reset time maybe I guess?

Try cleaning the 4 tracking camera lenses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Shoefish posted:

Anyone have fps issues with Halflife Alyx? I have a 3080 and i5 8600k, and while it runs fine almost all the time I occasionally get drops down to 40fps. Happens on both Rift S and Quest 2, and doesn't seem to matter what quality settings I run it at. I've never really been that fussed, but just read a tech performance review that says a 2080 gets 180fps n never drops a frame. fpsVR has my cpu n gpu both running about 60%.

I read several times about how the 3000 series has some obscure problem in the drivers with VR stuff since some months ago. Maybe is that?