Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Fister Roboto posted:

The postgame dungeon being 99% trash is the real crime though. Should have thrown in some boss refights to break it up.

I kind of liked the "bad end" versions of the characters' hometowns you go through, like the Altena that's been overrun by snow and ice, but yeah could've used more bosses. Anise and the Black Rabite were really good and challenging boss fights at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I've been listening to the full ToM soundtrack a lot lately as background music for working. I already think it's criminally underdiscussed as one of the best VG soundtracks of all time. But even within that conversation, it's not acknowledged enough how there are like 10 different boss themes and they're all absolute bangers.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I'm still amused at "Rusty Shackleford" in the game's voice cast, guess someone from the SAG was doing voice work for this game. :v:

I've hit a roadblock in my Kevin playthrough. I started out on Hard but everything was still too incredibly easy, so I bumped it up to Expert which feels a lot more challenging, and enemies have been regularly giving me the business even though they're 30 levels lower than me. The problem is Zable Fahr, the Benevodon of dark. On Expert I've always had a problem breaking the blue life bar which indicates the enemy's about to do a powerful attack, I've basically never been able to do it no matter how hard I go after it, but I can generally tank it since Charlotte and Hawkeye have the appropriate element damage reduction accessories. Zable Fahr from what I've seen is just straight up "everyone dies" if you don't break all three of the blue boss life bars...and that's a problem. If I can't tank it, I don't see how the fight is possible. I can just push it back down to Hard for this one fight I guess but the problem with that is if I want to try the highest difficulty on my last playthrough, you can't change after you pick it, and then the game might be unbeatable for me because of this one fight.

I went Fatal Fist for Kevin and his third CS is incredibly good, so that's nice. I went Sage this time for Charlotte just to be slightly different (she'll still have the same Class 4 Light in the end) and Lucent Beam is pretty nice, and I don't notice anything really missing from going Light/Light, like she still gets Recover Break and Close Call II so it kinda seems better. Hawkeye has been a pretty decent mage type guy with Ninja Master though if the enemy isn't weak to anything he suffers a bit.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Are you using class strikes on the blue bars? Those are typically the best way to take those down quickly, and are nigh necessary depending on how deep in the fight you are and how hard your difficulty is.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

You're also invincible during class strikes, so even if you don't think you can get them all in time it's usually worth throwing one out at the last second and avoiding the damage. With certain classes with Kevin, you can also lower the amount of CS needed to do strikes, also if you went dark for the first class change both his level 3 class strikes attack an area that should hit all 3 targets at once if you attack from the center. The level 2 on light classes might be able to do it, too.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Huh, I beat him easily this time. I think the first time I tried Seiryu Strike either my light saber had worn off just before it so it wasn't enough damage, or I just did it in an unfortunate place so it didn't hit all three, but standing right in the center doing it took all three of them out this time. So thanks, and I'll definitely keep in mind the strategy of using it just before big hits so I can avoid them.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Keep in mind that the game won't let you use class strikes when there are no enemies around. I think this will only bite you in the rear end when Black Rabite tries to use one of those attacks since they disappear; if you try to class strike through one of those and you're too late for the attack hitbox after it disappears, you're just hosed and have to eat it.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I'm definitely going to have to turn the difficulty back down to Hard for Dark Lich. What the gently caress. He does like thirty goddamn things at once and the fight always starts with Charlotte and Hawkeye just dying over and over again. Everyone is level 99 and I can't get Class 4 until I beat this dude so there's literally no way for me to get stronger, and he can one shot everyone in my party especially with his light beam that goes across the entire stage, since computer controlled party members never jump over attacks.

It did cure me of my notion that I'll ever try the highest difficulty setting because if enemies can already one shot me at level 99 then the only other thing they can do is just crank up the defense and HP stats even higher and that just sounds loving miserable.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

No Future actually has a few fun concessions. For one, a skill that makes it so your party members literally can't die unless you're controlling them, so they end up being more useful considering you don't have to constantly revive them as long as you personally don't get hit.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Eh, even so, it just seems like too much hassle. I did give Expert Dark Lich one more honest attempt, thinking that if I manually controlled Charlotte maybe I could spam healing just enough to make a difference...nope, didn't help. I think it's kind of bullshit you can only use items 9 times in combat when I have so many of the loving things, like I get that's the Mana series' "thing" but it's a dumb thing that should have been dropped for the remake.

Dark Lich just seems like he's by far the most difficult final boss of the three, I know I say that having not even seen Riesz/Hawkeye's final boss but still. Dragon Lord was a total joke, I get I was playing on Normal but the dude is just one target and he did just one attack at a time, whereas the Dark Lich teleports around so your melee characters can't stay on him very well, he summons adds, inflicts status effects, and does two or three things at once, not to mention an aoe laser beam that can hit multiple times and one shot party members. Even when I was controlling Charlotte manually and Kevin and Hawkeye were down for good after I ran out of Cups of Wishes, I spent 90% of my time dodging his attacks or healing up from something she got hit by that took over half her life, so she couldn't even really spam spells at him. Even the spells she did cast were only doing around 300 damage, if I was lucky. Even if I hadn't gotten taken out by a mistimed dodge it probably would've taken well over half an hour to do the fight with her alone.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Twelve by Pies posted:

Eh, even so, it just seems like too much hassle. I did give Expert Dark Lich one more honest attempt, thinking that if I manually controlled Charlotte maybe I could spam healing just enough to make a difference...nope, didn't help. I think it's kind of bullshit you can only use items 9 times in combat when I have so many of the loving things, like I get that's the Mana series' "thing" but it's a dumb thing that should have been dropped for the remake.

Dark Lich just seems like he's by far the most difficult final boss of the three, I know I say that having not even seen Riesz/Hawkeye's final boss but still. Dragon Lord was a total joke, I get I was playing on Normal but the dude is just one target and he did just one attack at a time, whereas the Dark Lich teleports around so your melee characters can't stay on him very well, he summons adds, inflicts status effects, and does two or three things at once, not to mention an aoe laser beam that can hit multiple times and one shot party members. Even when I was controlling Charlotte manually and Kevin and Hawkeye were down for good after I ran out of Cups of Wishes, I spent 90% of my time dodging his attacks or healing up from something she got hit by that took over half her life, so she couldn't even really spam spells at him. Even the spells she did cast were only doing around 300 damage, if I was lucky. Even if I hadn't gotten taken out by a mistimed dodge it probably would've taken well over half an hour to do the fight with her alone.

Dark Lich is known to be the toughest of the three bosses, especially with a melee-based team.

Regarding the items, Expert was balanced towards having carried over chain abilities from earlier playthroughs, including the unlimited item use chain ability you could get off of Anise.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Phantasium posted:

No Future actually has a few fun concessions. For one, a skill that makes it so your party members literally can't die unless you're controlling them, so they end up being more useful considering you don't have to constantly revive them as long as you personally don't get hit.

And on PC you can mod that to be usable on any difficulty, too, and it is a godsend.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I do want to give No Future another honest try. I hosed up because it expects you to have all the most advanced equipment for your characters from the start, but you can't class change from the start, so you need the generic Class 1 equipment they always sell that's worse than the other alternative they sell and you never buy, so in order to have an ideal playthrough I'd need to do a quick beating of the game with a party that's too strong just to buy the equipment I need, and I wasn't feeling that right away.

It was interesting making battles work in my failed playthrough though, I used all the black market items I could to make myself more powerful and just barely eke out wins before the time limit ran out. The stupid furnace did me in because it was impossible to avoid damage from the floor traps and the enemies and their own attacks all at once, and a single poke was enough damage to kill me from full HP no matter what.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mr. Neutron posted:

And on PC you can mod that to be usable on any difficulty, too, and it is a godsend.

I thought it was more fun modding out the damage zone warnings. Turns out most everything has enough of a tell to still let you know when to dodge.

Was going to do that on another no future, no damage run after unlocking that difficulty on PC, but got kind of tired of the game at that point and needed to play something else.

Alxprit posted:

I do want to give No Future another honest try. I hosed up because it expects you to have all the most advanced equipment for your characters from the start, but you can't class change from the start, so you need the generic Class 1 equipment they always sell that's worse than the other alternative they sell and you never buy, so in order to have an ideal playthrough I'd need to do a quick beating of the game with a party that's too strong just to buy the equipment I need, and I wasn't feeling that right away.

Yeah I tried to go on a no future run with just the equipment you start with and wasn't having it. I don't think you have to actually beat it again to use that save file though, I feel like I was able to just load into a completed save, buy the equipment at Pedda, save it, and then load it for no future.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Phantasium posted:

Yeah I tried to go on a no future run with just the equipment you start with and wasn't having it. I don't think you have to actually beat it again to use that save file though, I feel like I was able to just load into a completed save, buy the equipment at Pedda, save it, and then load it for no future.

The problem with that is I don't have a file with the appropriate party of three I want to use all available, and you can't buy equipment for characters you don't have with you, nor can you activate NG+ at any point before beating Anise as far as I remember.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah, it definitely limits your party comp to somebody from the prior file. Though I did okay with one of the AI characters not having good equipment, I think you're probably fine as long as the the character you want to play the most is geared up, and even then it's just the weapon really, your defense isn't going to block hits on no future regardless.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Erpy posted:

Dark Lich is known to be the toughest of the three bosses, especially with a melee-based team.

Regarding the items, Expert was balanced towards having carried over chain abilities from earlier playthroughs, including the unlimited item use chain ability you could get off of Anise.

Ah right, I beat Anise but I didn't go back and try for a faster time, since I mostly wanted to start a new playthrough and see more story. I probably don't have a great team for Dark Lich either, Ninja Master Hawkeye isn't great at damage even fully geared up for maximum magic attack, and my team lacks buffs of any type. I imagine if I had Riesz or Angela it probably wouldn't have been as bad.

Speaking of more story, Kevin and Charlotte's story seems the most detached from the game's events. When you go to Valsena you take part in protecting it from Altena's invasion, and later on you help the Amazons take back Laurent from Nevarl, but since the beastmen never really invade Wendel, you kind of just see them in Jadd at the beginning and then nothing else for the rest of the game aside from a single fight against Ludgar before Chartmoon. I was also surprised Angela doesn't show up at all in any of the story if you don't pick her. I mean, she's the one who Charlotte lands on and puts her up at the inn, but you never see her out and around. Duran didn't do much but you at least saw him in Molebear Moors and were able to talk to him, and then he showed up later when you talk to King Richard, but Angela is nowhere to be seen.

Alxprit posted:

the generic Class 1 equipment they always sell that's worse than the other alternative they sell and you never buy

Wait is that what those are? I was wondering why every shop was selling two weapons/armors for each character and one was slightly worse, since the price wasn't low enough that it was meant to go "Well I don't have quite enough money for the best so I'll buy this second one that's much cheaper." I found out quick on my second playthrough that Charlotte couldn't equip any of her endgame gear so she was forced to buy new stuff at the shops as I went on same as my level 1 guys. Well, at least now I know I can just fly to Pedda and buy that stuff and sell all the other gear I have clogging my inventory, since I didn't want to sell anything because I didn't know what was class restricted. It won't help Duran and Angela in my future playthroughs though, they'll be stuck buying crap gear when I use them again.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
A bit more than a month away from Legend of Mana re-port, gently caress yeah.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Mega64 posted:

A bit more than a month away from Legend of Mana re-port, gently caress yeah.

Irrationally hoping that this is going to be like the Trials of Mana port and we get a remake next year.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Ah right, I beat Anise but I didn't go back and try for a faster time, since I mostly wanted to start a new playthrough and see more story. I probably don't have a great team for Dark Lich either, Ninja Master Hawkeye isn't great at damage even fully geared up for maximum magic attack, and my team lacks buffs of any type. I imagine if I had Riesz or Angela it probably wouldn't have been as bad.

Speaking of more story, Kevin and Charlotte's story seems the most detached from the game's events. When you go to Valsena you take part in protecting it from Altena's invasion, and later on you help the Amazons take back Laurent from Nevarl, but since the beastmen never really invade Wendel, you kind of just see them in Jadd at the beginning and then nothing else for the rest of the game aside from a single fight against Ludgar before Chartmoon. I was also surprised Angela doesn't show up at all in any of the story if you don't pick her. I mean, she's the one who Charlotte lands on and puts her up at the inn, but you never see her out and around. Duran didn't do much but you at least saw him in Molebear Moors and were able to talk to him, and then he showed up later when you talk to King Richard, but Angela is nowhere to be seen.

Dark Lich is ironically the toughest final boss of the three when playing on harder difficulties, which is a far cry from the original Trials of Mana where he was basically the easiest final boss due to cheese options against him (but had what people considered the toughest penultimate boss as consolation prize).

Also, Expert jacks up the enemy's magic defense by a ridiculous amount so that even Angela basically loses her gamebreaker status (not the case in No Future which makes Angela broken again). It singlehandedly makes Rogue Hawkeye into the best caster class for that mode, and just one of the best options in general.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

So going through as Riesz now and I was surprised when Hawkeye joined at the barrier to Wendel, since he showed up in the Jadd prison on my last two playthroughs I thought for sure I wouldn't get him until then. Then I actually started thinking about characters and who's where. This is probably old news for everyone who's already played the game but I started thinking hard about it.

So I guess no matter who your second character is (unless it's Charlotte) they join right before Cascade Cavern, if it's Charlotte she joins near the end of the cave. This means that your third party member (again, unless it's Charlotte) is who's locked up in the Jadd jail, but if it's Charlotte she joins near the end of the cave. Since I picked Duran third this playthrough he was in jail, as opposed to Hawkeye the first two playthroughs. Since Hawkeye was third for me last time, he joined in the jail just like on my first playthrough, which was Duran/Angela/Charlotte, and I guess since I already had a full party they had to put someone in the jail to help you escape, and he made the most sense.

So now that I know Hawkeye isn't always supposed to be in Jadd and it's usually going to be your third character, that one scene in Burning Sands makes more sense, when he showed up and Duran acted like he'd never seen Hawkeye before. I was like "Dude you met him in Jadd, don't you remember?" but you won't necessarily see him there, which would make Burning Sands the first time you really interact. So I guess this means that Charlotte is the only character that can't end up in jail, since she either joins near the end of Cascade or just doesn't join at all.

But then that got me thinking about who Charlotte lands on at the end of her intro, and how I didn't see Angela except in that scene last playthrough. So I assume this is how it works: If you don't pick Kevin, she'll always land on him. If you pick Kevin, she'll land on Angela...unless you picked Angela as your second character, in which case she'll land on a third character I haven't seen yet. And there only need to be three, there shouldn't be any other situation where another character would be needed.

I suppose it's possible that it's still Angela even if you pick Angela third, but I feel that's probably not the case. I'm basing this on the fact that Angela didn't show up anywhere else in the game on my last playthrough of Kevin/Charlotte/Hawkeye, so that was her one obligatory appearance. I'm also thinking that if you pick Duran but not Angela (like I did this playthrough) that Angela is the one who shows up in Molebear Moors to tell the party about Altena's invasion of Valsena, basically taking the role that Duran did my last playthrough, since there's nowhere else for Angela to appear because Charlotte didn't join my party (and thus they didn't show the scene of her landing on someone).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, whoever you pick as your second character always shows up at the cave barrier. Whoever you pick as your third character shows up in the Jadd prison, unless it's Charlotte, in which case she joins you where you find her in the cave.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

The game does account for if you met Duran as a "fourth" in the prison when you later meet him at Molebear Moors, at the very least, so I'm surprised they don't do the same with Hawkeye. I guess it's been long enough since then that it won't matter as much?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Oh Duran can be the one in prison as a fourth? Ah right, you'd need to take Hawkeye as your second and Charlotte as your third for that, I didn't consider that. It is weird that they have Duran and the party remember each other in that case but not if Hawkeye is the fourth. Especially considering that when the boat leaves your main character will be all "No you can't leave yet you have to wait for Hawkeye!" and then you meet each other in the desert and your main character starts to attack and he goes "Whoa hey don't attack me, my name is Hawkeye and..."

e: But now I have to wonder who's in prison if you take Duran/Hawkeye/Charlotte. Probably Kevin, I'd bet, he'd be the most thematically appropriate considering the beastmen thing.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Twelve by Pies posted:

Oh Duran can be the one in prison as a fourth? Ah right, you'd need to take Hawkeye as your second and Charlotte as your third for that, I didn't consider that. It is weird that they have Duran and the party remember each other in that case but not if Hawkeye is the fourth. Especially considering that when the boat leaves your main character will be all "No you can't leave yet you have to wait for Hawkeye!" and then you meet each other in the desert and your main character starts to attack and he goes "Whoa hey don't attack me, my name is Hawkeye and..."

e: But now I have to wonder who's in prison if you take Duran/Hawkeye/Charlotte. Probably Kevin, I'd bet, he'd be the most thematically appropriate considering the beastmen thing.

Actually, if Hawkeye is not in the party, you'll be introduced to him during the Laurent siege. (he infiltrated the citadel before you and you catch up half-way through) Then you see him again when the mob in Palo is "assaulting" Niccolo. In fact, there's more shipteasing between Hawkeye and Riesz when they're not both in the party than if they are.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They should use the assets from Trials and make Trials of Mana 2, a direct sequel where you play as all six protagonists and each one of them remembers their story and ending from the first game as the canon one.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

Twelve by Pies posted:

There is actually a programmed priority list for who's in jail in that scenario; there was a topic on it on gamefaqs, but I'm having trouble finding it now. I remember it starts: Hawkeye > Angela > ????

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i believe that in the 2D version, it was duran -> hawk -> angela. it's not possible to have a party where riesz or kevin are in jail as NPCs.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Just got through Altena's attack on Valsena and Angela was nowhere to be seen. I can only conclude that if you don't pick her as one of your characters, or don't pick Kevin and Charlotte, she just doesn't appear in the story.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Twelve by Pies posted:

Just got through Altena's attack on Valsena and Angela was nowhere to be seen. I can only conclude that if you don't pick her as one of your characters, or don't pick Kevin and Charlotte, she just doesn't appear in the story.

Yup. If you don't pick her, Angela only appears in the story if you pick Duran as a main since you have access to Altena after Dragonsmaw is finished.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Melomane Mallet posted:

There is actually a programmed priority list for who's in jail in that scenario; there was a topic on it on gamefaqs, but I'm having trouble finding it now. I remember it starts: Hawkeye > Angela > ????

The priority for the prison member if Charlotte is your third party member is Duran (if Duran's not one of your picks) > Hawkeye (if Duran is one of your picks) > Angela (if both Duran and Hawkeye were picked as first and second party members).

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Also, because I had to know, the priority for the character Charlotte lands on at the end of her prologue: Kevin > Angela (if you picked Kevin) > Riesz (if you picked Kevin and Angela).

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I got back to Trials after finishing Dark Alliance, which had taken all my time, and continued with Riesz/Hawkeye's story and I gotta say, Malocchio was the closest I've gotten in this game to a fight feeling legitimately impossible. Zable Fahr was just a matter of abusing invincibility with class strikes, but since Malocchio's special ability heals him rather than doing a ton of damage, my inability to break the blue bars hurt bad since he'd just heal himself to full after wearing him down. It felt like I just couldn't enough damage before he just healed himself up. I finally got a run where he decided he wanted to cast Evil Rain/Dark Zone more than healing himself and was finally able to get the win but it took ages, I was worried I'd have to knock the difficulty back down like I had to for Dark Lich.

And then the rear end in a top hat didn't even have the courtesy to give me a chain ability like Goremand and Crimson Wizard did.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Holy poo poo, the new intro movie for Legend of Mana is loving amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxZeYJ-NkKo

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

poo poo, didn't realize it was coming out this soon, thought it'd be later this year.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i wondered if the incredibly brief moment it got during square's show meant there was a new opening.

that rules.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Wow, Trent and Gaeus look really rough in that opening, but other than them it looks great.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Mega64 posted:

Holy poo poo, the new intro movie for Legend of Mana is loving amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxZeYJ-NkKo

A great idea of an opening. the animation budget looks like they just added a few more frames to the story board.

Sad since LoM was on my favorites in the series, even if it was an odd game.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Cyflan posted:

Wow, Trent and Gaeus look really rough in that opening, but other than them it looks great.

I wonder if that's deliberate? They were animated differently in the original as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

SKULL.GIF posted:

I wonder if that's deliberate? They were animated differently in the original as well.

Well in the original opening they just had their in-game animations, which still look great.