Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Nastier Nate posted:

You know you could save money on office space and parking fees if your employees are working from home.

Also toilet paper, water coolers, energy costs

it never has been about the money, it's about the power they have over others. it's not enough that they win, others have to lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I mean, they're pretty explicit about it: they want to be able to make people do extra work that isn't part of their job description without paying them to do it. it's not about power really, at least not at the top where the decisions are made. it's about extracting more surplus value

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

I never understood why when you got to billionaire status, why wouldn't you commission a loving nuclear powered yacht that didn't need to be refueled for 20years. You already have a full-time crew so loving hire a navy nuclear engineer when he leaves the US Navy, and make him your engine room guy.

loving billionaires man. Also I loving hate "hydrogen fuel" as if the extraction process (hydrolysis) isn't done using coal powered plants anyway.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

well if it makes you feel better she's walking away with something like four hundred million of the american dollars

Well at least that... Wait a second, that doesn't make me feel better at all! :mad:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I never understood why when you got to billionaire status, why wouldn't you commission a loving nuclear powered yacht that didn't need to be refueled for 20years. You already have a full-time crew so loving hire a navy nuclear engineer when he leaves the US Navy, and make him your engine room guy.

loving billionaires man. Also I loving hate "hydrogen fuel" as if the extraction process (hydrolysis) isn't done using coal powered plants anyway.

do they let people just have nuclear reactors?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

indigi posted:

do they let people just have nuclear reactors?

i feel like at the point where you can afford it, they let you

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

seems like it'd be too much of a target

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

The Saucer Hovers posted:

says the person with the lain avatar

Of all the responses i got, this is the only one i feel truly owned by so good on ya

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

indigi posted:

You have mercs and the full violence and surveillance of the police state at your beck and call, only problem would be other billionaires jealous they didn't think of it first.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

indigi posted:

Yachts are sinkin left and right these days

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Mameluke posted:

Yachts are sinkin left and right these days

God bless Somali pirates, truly they do the Lord's work

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
feel like i read somewhere that some of the Russian oligarchs had yachts with actual anti-missile defense systems on them. if they're really rich they probably have something up their sleeves.

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

most of the time people don’t even use hydrolysis, they do steam reforming of methane

hydrogen is the xzibit meme of energy storage

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I stand by my contention that we must begin putting hundreds of nuclear plants scattered around the furthest part of the ocean from human habitation cracking sea water for hydrogen. Plus I bet we can make floating cables work, worst that happen is that we electrocute a few million fish in one go.

And what to do with the nuclear waste or any leakage? The ocean is big and her floor is far below.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
we can use the waste to simply heat crack the water into hydrogen and oxygen it only needs ~1000 or 2000 degrees

e: it would really be a

... nice meltdown :smuggo:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

tokin opposition posted:

I stand by my contention that we must begin putting hundreds of nuclear plants scattered around the furthest part of the ocean from human habitation cracking sea water for hydrogen. Plus I bet we can make floating cables work, worst that happen is that we electrocute a few million fish in one go.

And what to do with the nuclear waste or any leakage? The ocean is big and her floor is far below.

any mutated sealife couldn't be worse than the regular deep ocean sealife anyway

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

quote:

HOA Advantage

I live in an area of the country with a serious homeless issue and general affordability problem. Our suburban town is considering drastic zoning changes to allow for multi family housing anywhere, ADUs without permits, and even extended RV camping. Our HOA rules will prevent these changes from happening in our neighborhood. Worth all the dues.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I will become President and create a bunch of "HOAs" that actually just exist to collect information on who to send to the camps

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

i hope a mob of hobos storm their home and take all their poo poo.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Ytlaya posted:

I will become President and create a bunch of "HOAs" that actually just exist to collect information on who to send to the camps

Why when nextdoor already exists?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

in the revolution i will be the facebook judger, post the wrong meme and i can thumbs down you like a roman emperor

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

quote:

Opinion by the
Editorial Board
May 14, 2021 at 2:27 a.m. GMT+8

WITHIN THE past two weeks, the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence has reported that a pattern of “debilitating” attacks on U.S. citizens abroad is “increasing,” in some cases leading to traumatic brain injury. CBS News reported that this year “more than a dozen CIA officers” serving in multiple overseas locations have returned to the United States to seek care after such attacks. CNN reported that a National Security Council official was attacked near the Ellipse last November — walking near the White House.

All these add up to an assault on Americans abroad — and now on U.S. soil — that has eluded detection and is running unabated. Although experts have suggested the cause may be a device emitting “directed, pulsed radio frequency energy,” or microwaves, nothing is known for certain, nor is it known who is carrying out the attacks, although the intelligence community considers Russia the leading suspect.

The attacks have caused real suffering. Starting with a 2016 assault on U.S. officials in Havana, those afflicted have reported at first perceiving certain sounds or intense pressure in the head, coming from a distinct direction, followed by hearing loss, dizziness, tinnitus, visual difficulties, headaches and fatigue, as well as cognitive, balance and sleep disorders. The scope of those injured has grown beyond Cuba and China to include a White House staffer hit while walking her dog in Arlington; two CIA officials hit on a trip to Australia and Taiwan, one of whom was among the agency’s top five officials; and another CIA officer hit on a visit to Moscow.

The Senate committee’s statement and the CBS report suggest the number of people targeted is even larger and growing still. The New York Times reports the total is now more than 130. A certain amount of confidentiality and privacy is justified for those injured. But it is worrisome that the U.S. government has been unable to figure out the cause and the perpetrators for five years.

The Trump administration failed miserably to make this a priority. A 2018 State Department Accountability Review Board report found “serious deficiencies in the Department’s response in areas of accountability, interagency coordination, and communication, at all levels” that “contributed to the confusion surrounding the events, and delayed effective, coordinated action.”

President Biden’s Cabinet members have promised to do better. As of now, less than four months into the new administration, there is one task force working on it at the Pentagon and another at the CIA; another is being “reinvigorated” at the State Department; and another studies past intelligence reports at the National Security Council. With new cases increasing, the Biden administration must reject business as usual. More task forces at different agencies with different agendas does not necessarily add up to answers.

It is time for Mr. Biden to put heads together and put all these people in one place — the intelligence officials, diplomats, military, research scientists, clinicians and medical experts — sharing all the data, including classified, with a single urgent mission: Figure out what is happening, take action to stop it and hold the perpetrators to account.

A Good Start

It's going to turn out to be like, building material fumes in US government offices or something.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

VideoTapir posted:

A Good Start

It's going to turn out to be like, building material fumes in US government offices or something.

it’s going to turn out to be entirely psychosomatic, brought on by the stress of being evil people doing evil things in service of an evil empire

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The occult shrines to Baphomet probably don't follow proper OSHA standards

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

it’s going to turn out to be entirely psychosomatic, brought on by the stress of being evil people doing evil things in service of an evil empire

:tinfoil::

It's been interesting watch this story trickle up through the news the last couple years.

It's only ever mentioned that it's a complete mystery, and nothing is ever brought up how much we may or may not have spent researching similar sounding things.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The greys are pissed and using their mental powers against these people. Thank u comrade Xor

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!

StashAugustine posted:

The occult shrines to Baphomet probably don't follow proper OSHA standards

nah masons are good at certain things; among them is masonry

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

YOLOsubmarine posted:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDcaziUPK7M

I'm sure this belongs here but I'm torn on why.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

kraken! posted:

most of the time people don’t even use hydrolysis, they do steam reforming of methane

hydrogen is the xzibit meme of energy storage

I am ignorant of this process, but it sounds like it would release a shitload of greenhouse gas and from the "steam" part it sounds like you are heating up water. IDK though, maybe it's actually a pretty efficient process?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

TheGoonspiracist posted:

:tinfoil::

It's been interesting watch this story trickle up through the news the last couple years.

It's only ever mentioned that it's a complete mystery, and nothing is ever brought up how much we may or may not have spent researching similar sounding things.

It's a complete mystery if the attacks even happened, but one thing our illustrious intelligence community is sure of, Russia is behind it.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I am ignorant of this process, but it sounds like it would release a shitload of greenhouse gas and from the "steam" part it sounds like you are heating up water. IDK though, maybe it's actually a pretty efficient process?

Burn a bunch of coal so you can turn natural gas into hydrogen and just dump all that useless carbon, clean as can be!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Crazycryodude posted:

Burn a bunch of coal so you can turn natural gas into hydrogen and just dump all that useless carbon, clean as can be!

Steam-methane reforming reaction
CH4 + H2O (+ heat) → CO + 3H2

Water-gas shift reaction
CO + H2O → CO2 + H2 (+ small amount of heat)

Yea the biggest waste is going to be in heating the water. Which of course is going to be done via burning fossil fuels. So pretty much the only "benefit" of hydrogen is that in theory the initial production of the hydrogen could be more efficient then whatever engine could be using the fuel in the first place. Though I'm pretty skeptical.

Anyway nationalize the energy sector and guillotine the lobbyists.

ate shit on live tv has issued a correction as of 06:25 on May 18, 2021

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

why not just build enormous solar furnaces to do the heating

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

indigi posted:

why not just build enormous solar furnaces to do the heating

In certain places that makes sense. But giant mirror power plants aren't a good fit for the majority of places in the world. I can only think of maybe 10 or so regions where they would make sense, keeping in mind that it's not just the need of clear sky's and a high amount of daylight hours, they also have an enormous footprint and are extremely disruptive to local environment. (Yes cities do to, but you can build a nuclear power plant in a city along a river, you can't build a solar furnace in the same place.)

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

so what you're saying is nuclear powered electric heaters for my hydrogen communist version of the VW beetle? ok

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

tokin opposition posted:

so what you're saying is nuclear powered
Yes.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

In certain places that makes sense. But giant mirror power plants aren't a good fit for the majority of places in the world. I can only think of maybe 10 or so regions where they would make sense, keeping in mind that it's not just the need of clear sky's and a high amount of daylight hours, they also have an enormous footprint and are extremely disruptive to local environment. (Yes cities do to, but you can build a nuclear power plant in a city along a river, you can't build a solar furnace in the same place.)

just build them on roofs

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

It's a complete mystery if the attacks even happened, but one thing our illustrious intelligence community is sure of, Russia is behind it.

This is some real dog chasing it's own tail poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Finally the Ford Nucleon moves into production.