Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

MadDogMike posted:

You always could, it's just that in the first game I'm pretty sure there was no dedicated melee button, you only punched if you were in point blank range and tried to fire your weapon. Which made it kind of nerve wracking to use if you wound up being *not* quite close enough for it to count it, especially if you had a shotgun out for all the creepers. That mission definitely worked much better in this version with no oopsies possible. Also the sounds and how they ragdoll now in the new version make it even funnier, I tend to suspect the real reason they stay down after being punched is they all decided "nope, obeying and getting pounded like this will definitely hurt more than playing unconscious and defying the Thorian".

I swear I've had it lose the Spectre weapons again on me, so keep the save around just incase you need to repeat the load/run through council meeting/go to the C-Sec shop trick. Interestingly this seems to fully respawn all four weapons, so if you have a ton of money it seems like a way you could get multiples of particular ones without having to travel and restock.

Thank you so much for that explanation! And I like your reasoning on why they stay down LOL.

I tried the save file workaround, but unfortunately it did not work for me. Its ok though, I've received some really great weapons through loot. Just seems very weird that a Spectre can't buy Spectre equipment. I had hoped when I saw the update it would be fixed, but nope!

Also... I mentioned a game minimizing issue yesterday that I couldn't figure out. I kept note of when it happens and then realized it happens exactly at 16 minutes after the hour (1:16pm, 2:16pm, 3:16pm)... so I just need to figure out what my computer is doing then that is causing this hiccup! And of course I have no idea how lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Legendary was a good purchase. I've put over 30 hours into a game from 2007 and it has been awesome. I didn't expect the improvements to 1 to be as fun as they were. Excited to start 2 tonight.

I really wish there was a full on save editor included for starting in 2 or 3. (playing on a console) The digital comic leaves out what too many options.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
What class has everybody been playing in ME1?

Is it your favorite? If not, what is?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The main planet missions in 1 are usually really well done, but I love how Virmire is set up.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Zeron posted:

Yeah the autosave on 1/2 at least really sucks. Especially if you are on controller and have no access to quick save.

In the original one you only had a combat sprint. If you tried outside of battle it just zoomed out and didn't go any faster. It's really silly that Shepard can't sprint more than 6 seconds though.

I got to the end of 1 and was like, yeah this is way better than regular 1 and dare I say it, even good. Then started up 2 and it's still so much better to play.

Here's a shot of old man Shepard scaring away a Krogan with his..very intimidating glare.

That Krogan was probably scared you'd die and he'd be lumped with the funeral expenses

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

GreatGreen posted:

Adept. Will def try another class whenever I do another run.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

GreatGreen posted:

Started a playthrough as a sentinel but switched to an infiltrator playthrough after not having much fun there. Might switch back to sentinel in 2 and 3

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It was nice to have a sniper rifle that worked as an adept, so for the citadel section I could lift people then shoot them into orbit.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Well I finished every quest besides virmire and bring down the sky on my engineer insanity playthrough. The only problem I've really had was seeing a red laser from snipers for half a second before I instantly die. Now that I've looted Collosus VIII light armor it takes 2 sniper hits to kill me. Depending on how much playtime I get tomorrow I might be able to get to the fun engineer game play in me2 by wed/thu.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Me2 has the same kind of close authorship as witcher 3. It’s kind of crazy, random missions like the wreckage perched on a cliff on a random planet obviously were closely designed. ME1 is still the better story and planets, but 2 is slick as hell.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

The mako rules because every time I drive it I imagine everyone inside without seatbelts, just absolutely slamming around the cabin at all times.

Just played and finished ME1 for the first time in 13 years, and my memory of the experience was still rosy so I had a grand ol' time, but yeah, wow - the quality and tone shift from 1 to 2 is pretty evident. I think I finished ME2 back in the day, but never even touched ME3 so this is all very exciting. It's nice to have fun sci-fi.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 18, 2021

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

It is insane to me that you go and get Wrex's family armour and you don't even get any armour for beating the mission. Just baffling.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

GreatGreen posted:

I'm going adept in ME1 and then make out that Shepard loses his powers/implants after being revived so Soldier or Infiltrator in ME2, and then in 3 Shepard is gonna segue into an Engineer to get his powers back. Someone in this thread mentioned doing the same and it sounded like a cool way to try our different play styles through the different games.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Caesar Saladin posted:

It is insane to me that you go and get Wrex's family armour and you don't even get any armour for beating the mission. Just baffling.

He says it’s an old piece of crap he wouldn’t use when he mentions it.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I'm just saying that if I'm doing a quest to get some armour, I wanna put it on.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Absolutely loving playing ME1 again on PS4. I missed this game more than I thought. Game is still so solid for being 14 years old. Someone said the Eden Prime/Citadel opening was phenomenal and I completely agree. Forgot how much fun this was.

Now remake/remaster the original Deus Ex please.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Caesar Saladin posted:

I'm just saying that if I'm doing a quest to get some armour, I wanna put it on.

Best part about Bring Down the Sky - do it late enough (I did it around 25~26 in Legendary Mode) and you get to pick a set of armor, any size, and it is the Colossus armor for your level automatically! Finally no more searching lol

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

One thing that Mass Effect 1 does a bit better than its sequels is indulge in a classic sci-fi sensibility.

There's an assignment that takes you to planet Eletania. Eletania is a lush, beautiful garden world, but it cannot be colonized because the indigenous microbes will induce anaphylactic shock in anyone who inhales them, loosely alluding to The War of the Worlds. The mission there is to track down the pyjak that stole a data disk from a crashed probe, so you've got to go around to their dens and frisk them by hand, which takes on a more contemplative tone when you consider it in light of the hidden event on the same planet, where you get a short story in which Shepard experiences the memories of a primitive human who had been tagged with a prothean monitoring device. Meddlesome space aliens with their own mysterious yet mundane motives, seen from both sides.

That's legitimately good, I think, even if it's a weird janky fetch quest made out of reused assets and maybe three dozen voice clips. There's ambition there.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

One thing that Mass Effect 1 does a bit better than its sequels is indulge in a classic sci-fi sensibility.

There's an assignment that takes you to planet Eletania. Eletania is a lush, beautiful garden world, but it cannot be colonized because the indigenous microbes will induce anaphylactic shock in anyone who inhales them, loosely alluding to The War of the Worlds. The mission there is to track down the pyjak that stole a data disk from a crashed probe, so you've got to go around to their dens and frisk them by hand, which takes on a more contemplative tone when you consider it in light of the hidden event on the same planet, where you get a short story in which Shepard experiences the memories of a primitive human who had been tagged with a prothean monitoring device. Meddlesome space aliens with their own mysterious yet mundane motives, seen from both sides.

That's legitimately good, I think, even if it's a weird janky fetch quest made out of reused assets and maybe three dozen voice clips. There's ambition there.

This sounds vaguely familiar, but I think you're describing that planet where you just waste a bunch of pyjaks.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Aphrodite posted:

He says it’s an old piece of crap he wouldn’t use when he mentions it.

Caesar Saladin posted:

New headcanon: the ancestral armor is just a pack of cryo ammo glued to an omnitool, or whatever random crap you pull out of the safe.

Bongo Bill posted:

Yeah, a lot of otherwise generic sidequests bust out these surprisingly detailed vignettes.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

The real reason to do the uncharted worlds was for the awesome skyboxes on some of them. I seem to recall one being an airless world in a binary system with most of the sky taken up by its red giant star, and the smaller blue star in the distance.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I had space sex!

And man, that first visit to the Citadel is a doozy. I'm getting close to finishing it but man oh man. Already got 3 of 5 squadmate quest trophies down. Might even get the other 2 next time I sit down to play/wrap up a few.

Space sex!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bongo Bill posted:

I feel like a big reason for this is that they hadn't really figured out what Mass Effect was yet as of the first game, so they were trying a bunch of different directions and seeing what stuck. Once the game was out and they saw what resonated the most with people, they drilled down on that in the sequels and cut the rest, which probably makes for a more consistent overall experience but does mean it loses a bit of that flavour from the edges.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Yeah, a lot of otherwise generic sidequests bust out these surprisingly detailed vignettes.

I appreciated that little area on the same planet where you find Wrex's armor that's just like, a dead asari about a hundred feet from a pyramid. No mission, just this weird mysterious scene. ME1 has this sense of scale and wonder about it in a way that ME2 doesn't, despite the sequel being bigger and better overall.

Also, random question: Wrex tells a snippet of a story about meeting Saren on a really weird mission where he hired a bunch of mercenaries to seize a ship with a bunch of food and medicine on it, then kills every merc that stuck around to get paid. It's kind of setup like this mystery that will be expounded on later then it just...isn't, I think? Does that come up again?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Wolfsheim posted:

Also, random question: Wrex tells a snippet of a story about meeting Saren on a really weird mission where he hired a bunch of mercenaries to seize a ship with a bunch of food and medicine on it, then kills every merc that stuck around to get paid. It's kind of setup like this mystery that will be expounded on later then it just...isn't, I think? Does that come up again?
I think that's just a "Saren was always a scary lunatic even before selling out to Robo Cthulhu" story to reinforce the kind of person he is.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Funky Valentine posted:

I think that's just a "Saren was always a scary lunatic even before selling out to Robo Cthulhu" story to reinforce the kind of person he is.

Renegade Shepard, nodding along and taking notes: "Wow, yeah, uh... crazy huh. Glad they don't pick people like that for Spectres these days."

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

Plus it serves double duty as establishing Wrex as smarter than your average Krogan.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Anderson isn't exaggerating when he talks about Saren on the Citadel. The first ME book is Andersons story of trying out for the Spectres, with Saren. On the mission, Saren basically kills a ton of people while trying to finish the mission, then blames it on Anderson. Also, IIRC, at the end of the book, Saren "steals" Sovereign. I forget who, but some race had found it and were researching it and somehow Saren found out and stole it.

Been a while since I read it. But yeah, Saren was already a POS before the Reaper showed up.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

Anderson isn't exaggerating when he talks about Saren on the Citadel. The first ME book is Andersons story of trying out for the Spectres, with Saren. On the mission, Saren basically kills a ton of people while trying to finish the mission, then blames it on Anderson. Also, IIRC, at the end of the book, Saren "steals" Sovereign. I forget who, but some race had found it and were researching it and somehow Saren found out and stole it.

Been a while since I read it. But yeah, Saren was already a POS before the Reaper showed up.

Yeah, when Liara’s all “I actually feel bad for Saren now” I always pick the “I don’t, gently caress him.” option because of stuff like that. Guy was a monster, indoctrinated or not. At least Benezia was a good person before Sovereign hosed with her head.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I'm going adept in ME1 and then make out that Shepard loses his powers/implants after being revived so Soldier or Infiltrator in ME2, and then in 3 Shepard is gonna segue into an Engineer to get his powers back. Someone in this thread mentioned doing the same and it sounded like a cool way to try our different play styles through the different games.

I was gonna go Vanguard in 1, but then I remembered Vanguard is way more fun in the other games, so I'm starting with a Tech, who will then get revived into an Adept, but then hone in her powers to focus on marrying weapons with psionics and be a Vanguard in 3. Should be fun.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Bloody Pom posted:

The real reason to do the uncharted worlds was for the awesome skyboxes on some of them. I seem to recall one being an airless world in a binary system with most of the sky taken up by its red giant star, and the smaller blue star in the distance.

On my current play through of ME1 there was one skybox that has a star I was SURE that the Illusive Man's space station is orbiting. I can't remember the name, but the color and animation of it was dead on.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Amaranthine, the planet you meet Helena Blake on at the end of her side quest and the big giant Dragon Age reference in ME1 has a hauntingly beautiful skybox that's seen nowhere else in the game. It makes the whole place seem so desolate.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The one planet that might be off from its description is Terra Nova, since it’s described as a hot desert world with habitable areas near the poles, but it just kind of looks like earth.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
One thing that kinda sticks out is how you get that shot of the Destiny Ascension and it's like, Holy balls that's a big ship, and you would think at some point in 2 or 3 you'd visit it or another ship like it and... you just never do :(

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Did that update gently caress with the dialog mix? I feel like I suddenly can barely hear anyone talking

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I want cutscene Jack. I don't care how broken it is, I want her YMIR-killing mega biotic punch.

I like bringing grunt on that mission because he's so "gently caress YEAH" at that part

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Still no Spectre weapons after the patch, and I discovered another one: no Quarian armor anywhere in the game at any vendor. How does this even happen :psyduck:

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Simone Magus posted:

One thing that kinda sticks out is how you get that shot of the Destiny Ascension and it's like, Holy balls that's a big ship, and you would think at some point in 2 or 3 you'd visit it or another ship like it and... you just never do :(

The Destiny Ascension coming through the Charon Relay in 3 is a heck yeah moment

I mean sure, probably less so to people who let it be destroyed and got generic Asari dreadnought instead but thems the breaks

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Seemlar posted:

The Destiny Ascension coming through the Charon Relay in 3 is a heck yeah moment

I mean sure, probably less so to people who let it be destroyed and got generic Asari dreadnought instead but thems the breaks

It sucks that it disappears immediately after that because BioWare didn't want to animate any further conditional cutsenes with it beyond that one moment, but yeah there's a great build up from the Normandy coming out of the jump, then a bajillion Alliance and Turian ships, and then the music swells and BLAM! there's the Destiny Ascension!

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

SubponticatePoster posted:

Still no Spectre weapons after the patch, and I discovered another one: no Quarian armor anywhere in the game at any vendor. How does this even happen :psyduck:

Quarian armor is definitely there. It was pretty rare even in the original version. I have Tali in Colossus armor and I haven’t even finished Noveria. Make sure you buy every license you see and save before you talk to the vendor on the Normandy. You can keep reloading that save and checking his inventory until the item you want shows up. If his inventory seems locked, travel between the Citadel, Feros, and Noveria. That helps change his stock. Always make sure to save before you talk to him after traveling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
The spectre gear only appears when you have a million credits right?