Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: dead gay comedy forums)

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
shooting down all those moderator meltdown predictions with an overnight posting meltdown speedrun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Homeless Friend posted:

It wasn't an ask lol. On one hand they irrevocably tainted it with cynicism in their handling of it and on the other informed us of how little they think of us. It pwns, I love goons so much.

well it's an unfortunate situation all around. somehow i imagine that "please don't call me a pedophile" would not have the desired result in most cases in C-SPAM or another rules-light forum, however, especially not after you've just probated someone's friend for using the wrong language

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

well it's an unfortunate situation all around. somehow i imagine that "please don't call me a pedophile" would not have the desired result in most cases in C-SPAM or another rules-light forum, however, especially not after you've just probated someone's friend for using the wrong language

You use your big boy words and anonymize it and say "For one of our moderators, this issue is actually hurtful, going forward we won't be lenient in punishing this joke" instead they went "ah hell, it just went outta fashion didn't it. It's old!" Now you have two different explanations from the same people. Except one is post-hoc and from a, now, untrusted party because of their behavior and the fact that they lied by omission if we take them on face value. What I'm saying is we need to get mods into communication classes asap lol.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

very relevant considering Marxism's problems in real world implementations. medicalizations are useful, but problematic, metaphors

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Personally if I was extremely sensitive to jokes where I'm associated by extension with pedophilia, I would not be part of the group with a long history of members turning out to be pedophiles, nazis, nazi pedophiles, and so on.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

apropos to nothing posted:

lol this is it for me. idgaf about r word, from the start only complained cause of the arbitrary enforcement of rules which 100% were always meted out against posting enemies and ignored by others, applied to the whole "mods are pedophiles" thing too and basically everything in the history of the website. its totally absurd that words like "oval office" are banned in the joke politics forum on a website where 9/11 set to yakety sax was its most significant contribution to the world. i shant post in cspam again because the mods are idiots who punish people for saying oval office and it may be revealed at a later date that some of them have committed crimes of a sexual nature. i shall stick to the pink forum and laugh at you all assuming that i am not banned for this post given the ruling that it is illegal to laugh at the mods now. please organize people around you and at your workplace and dont post online all day about "leftist" politics because it will rot your brain and you will never change anything or organize anyone.

if apropros held on for just a few more hours they wouldn't have missed out on this primo content

godspeed to the one good Trotskyist

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

gradenko_2000 posted:

godspeed to the one good Trotskyist

pretty sure they were just doing a bit

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
when trotsky doesn't close one door, god doesn't open another

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
when did trotsky ever close a door

the whole world was his stage and never ending revolution his backdrop

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
this Marx guy had some good ideas, i'm finding that a lot of his frameworks for analyzing societal phenomena still resonate today 200 years later

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

smarxist posted:

this Marx guy had some good ideas, i'm finding that a lot of his frameworks for analyzing societal phenomena still resonate today 200 years later

like what

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

boss makes a dollar, I make a dime

that's why I post on company time

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

yr new gurlfrand! posted:

when did trotsky ever close a door

goddamn

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

smarxist posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF3Hg6FBBSU

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

his conception of labor power and the underlying structure of the relationship wage workers have with employers for one thing, like, how a boss doesn't hire you on to "be productive" to some fixed degree for 8 hours or to fulfill some minimum amount of work, but rather they hire on your potential productivity for an 8-hour period of time, and try to maximize what they extract from you in that time. it's especially stark these days if you've ever worked in a fast paced phones or CS environment with metrics, and had to have "calibration" meetings with a supervisor because one aspect of your performance was a half point off, while you're doubling and tripling up employees in other ways, the fact that you're bringing in a multiple of value over another employee doesn't mean poo poo to them, nor to you, w/r/t recompense or benefits, just hey fix this stat that's out of line or get fired gently caress-o.

i remember explaining labor power and how that relationship works to someone on their own lil path to radicalizing and it was super intuitive to them

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
i like this gramsci quote

Economy and ideology. The claim (presented as an essential postulate of historical materialism) that every fluctuation of politics and ideology can be presented and expounded as an immediate expression of the structure, must be contested in theory as primitive infantilism, and combated in practice with the authentic testimony of Marx, the author of concrete political and historical works.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Minrad posted:

shooting down all those moderator meltdown predictions with an overnight posting meltdown speedrun

ngl i'm taking that a little personally here.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's really funny that Flavius has once again proved why I find the rules they keep adding so objectionable. You're telling us you guys are trying to fight ableism and toxic language, and you don't even know what words are ableist. Are you loving serious with this poo poo lol.

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
flavius comes out of probation just to call everyone in the thread a mongoloid

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

stalking through the sesame street set with an armalite ar-10 carbine gas-powered semi-automatic weapon, a mad and wild-eyed flavius pumps round after round into cookie monster and several other muppets because he saw on tv that today's letter of the day was R.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Fortaleza posted:

The source of the problem isn’t gone yet so why should anyone?

You black teen murder celebrating piece of human garbage

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

:elongate:

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Bad words are hurtful everybody, its why we have them, to hurt one another.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Larry Parrish posted:

It's really funny that Flavius has once again proved why I find the rules they keep adding so objectionable. You're telling us you guys are trying to fight ableism and toxic language, and you don't even know what words are ableist. Are you loving serious with this poo poo lol.
this is a forum where one of the ideas is to appoint another "idiot king" so that the "idiot king" can get rid of ableist language. Presumably, they would do this without drawing attention to their status as an "idiot king"

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
flaveious ateass voted for trump. hosed up but it's the truth

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

smarxist posted:

his conception of labor power and the underlying structure of the relationship wage workers have with employers for one thing, like, how a boss doesn't hire you on to "be productive" to some fixed degree for 8 hours or to fulfill some minimum amount of work, but rather they hire on your potential productivity for an 8-hour period of time, and try to maximize what they extract from you in that time. it's especially stark these days if you've ever worked in a fast paced phones or CS environment with metrics, and had to have "calibration" meetings with a supervisor because one aspect of your performance was a half point off, while you're doubling and tripling up employees in other ways, the fact that you're bringing in a multiple of value over another employee doesn't mean poo poo to them, nor to you, w/r/t recompense or benefits, just hey fix this stat that's out of line or get fired gently caress-o.

i remember explaining labor power and how that relationship works to someone on their own lil path to radicalizing and it was super intuitive to them

Good post what book do you rec to get into Marxism

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
i have an ear ache and it hurts, did marx ever consider this

unicorn dreams
Feb 6, 2015
The mod(s?) turning low-key anti-communist is a fun piece of evidence for my theory that the obsession with "fyad" and "slurs" among some of the dimmer cspam posters bears more than a passing resemblance to the judeo Bolshevik conspiracy theory in structure and function

Not serious at all, just something funny to think about

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

tokin opposition posted:

No but the IWW did and an injury to one is an injury to all

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

tokin opposition posted:

Marx didn’t have ears. not a lot of people know this

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

My ear aches in solidarity

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

indigi posted:

Marx didn’t have ears. not a lot of people know this

That explains why he was so notoriously difficult to troll

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

flavius sighs as he unsheaths his katana

the baka marxists continue to post antique slurs

yet he slips up and says one himself

there is only one way he may redeem his posting honor

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Mr. Lobe posted:

That explains why he was so notoriously difficult to troll

I thought it was the alcoholism and brutally owning his literary enemies

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

I'm not smarxists but what smarxist describes is a big part of Marx's Capital vol 1. You can pair that with David Harvey's Companion to Marx's Capital, either in book or free podcast form. There are audiobook versions of the Marx, too.

The less you enjoy Capital, the more you can lean on the Harvey, but the first volume of Capital is really fun once you kinda get past the first few chapters and you get into it and notice what a troll Marx is. (I find volumes 2 and 3 much much more difficult.) The Harvey is useful for (a) providing some of the background context, and (b) then linking things to the present like smarxist did in their post.

be careful with summaries lol

although here is a giant one page summary from a communist

https://twitter.com/TomFrome/status/1287973768049065984?s=20

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

DirtyRobot posted:

I'm not smarxists but what smarxist describes is a big part of Marx's Capital vol 1. You can pair that with David Harvey's Companion to Marx's Capital, either in book or free podcast form. There are audiobook versions of the Marx, too.

The less you enjoy Capital, the more you can lean on the Harvey, but the first volume of Capital is really fun once you kinda get past the first few chapters and you get into it and notice what a troll Marx is. (I find volumes 2 and 3 much much more difficult.) The Harvey is useful for (a) providing some of the background context, and (b) then linking things to the present like smarxist did in their post.

be careful with summaries lol

although here is a giant one page summary from a communist

https://twitter.com/TomFrome/status/1287973768049065984?s=20

can you just listen to Harvey without reading capital. I don’t want to read capital

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

yr new gurlfrand! posted:

I thought it was the alcoholism and brutally owning his literary enemies

It can be more than one thing

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Larry Parrish posted:

Have you guys noticed that every mod posts on the same obnoxious nerd tone of voice. I remember Video Games not posting like that until they got tapped to mod Games and suddenly always used their shift key and also never posted in imp zone again. So the only question is, do they only make sex criminals mods or is that tendency downloaded in with the whiny loser grammar package.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Dongicus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjH1wCx6Zos

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Lol!

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

indigi posted:

can you just listen to Harvey without reading capital. I don’t want to read capital

Yeah, probably.

There are other podcasts that do overviews with framing themselves as a "companion" like the Harvey does:

The Fundamentals of Marxism: Intro to Political Economy

The Fundamentals of Marxism: Dialectics, Historical Materialism, and Class Struggle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

DirtyRobot posted:

Yeah, probably.

There are other podcasts that do overviews with framing themselves as a "companion" like the Harvey does:

The Fundamentals of Marxism: Intro to Political Economy

The Fundamentals of Marxism: Dialectics, Historical Materialism, and Class Struggle

Is Harvey’s companion to capital readable by itself? I haven’t read capital in decades and I was thinking about reading it again, but if Harvey’s book is essentially just capital updated in 21st language/context, then should I just read that alone?