Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The American rover opens up a secret compartment and it turns out they sent a Battlebot to Mars.

Battlebot fights on Mars is the kind of great power rivalry I can get behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

SerCypher posted:

I can't decide if such a thing would be the ultimate condemnation of humanity or like, the coolest thing we've ever done.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

SerCypher posted:

International politics is now decided by robot warfare on Mars. This change results in the largest ever influx of money into education and science in human history. Humanity prospers while our planetary neighbor is littered with the corpses of thousands of mechanical warriors.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Sammus posted:

International politics is now decided by robot warfare on Mars. This change results in the largest ever influx of money into education and science in human history. Humanity prospers while our planetary neighbor is littered with the corpses of thousands of mechanical warriors.

As seen in the documentary G Gundam this really is the only way to settle all disputes.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Shumagorath posted:

China produced 27% of all carbon pollution in 2019, more than double the US

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2021/05/chinas-carbon-pollution-now-surpasses-all-developed-countries-combined/

"Now is China's turn" is no different from "Doing ____ to own the ____" at industrial scale.

This kind of thing should be coupled with that a lot of these emissions are produced making cheap poo poo for us to buy. I remember seeing the figures when that was factored in and no surprise there, biggest western cities had the largest footprint.

Not a tankie.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

His Divine Shadow posted:

This kind of thing should be coupled with that a lot of these emissions are produced making cheap poo poo for us to buy. I remember seeing the figures when that was factored in and no surprise there, biggest western cities had the largest footprint.

Not a tankie.

What do you think would be the best way to destroy their industrial base, sanctions and embargos? Currency stuff? Tariffs?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Gaius Marius posted:

gently caress you I wanna live on mars

Planets are dumb. Habitats is where it's at.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Grand Fromage posted:

Mars also seems to have a lighter core than usual, iron-sulfur instead of iron-nickel. And it may not have a solid inner core at all, just a liquid one. There's still a lot of details to figure out, but yeah, Mars is smaller so it cooled faster and shut down the dynamo is the most likely broad explanation.

Anton Petrov has had a load of fascinating videos on this, also Earth and plate tectonics and how even small changes in the composition of the material that makes up the planet can change the outcome is crazy. Just the fact that earth has managed to remain habitable for 2-3 billion years while the suns luminosity has changed 30% in that time is incredible.

I am pretty sure that life on earth contributed to it's own survival and keeping the system intact. In addition to having just the sweet spot for plate tectonics to occur.

Also this channel is gold:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c?HistoryoftheEarth

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Anybody got more info on this? https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/china-skyscraper-seg-plaza-wobbles-panic-downtown-shenzhen-14833164

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Never even thought about China not having dishes dotted around the globe. I wonder if satellites would be able to receive the signals well enough or if you really do need huge dishes to pick up the incredibly faint transmissions.

Maybe they could repurpose some of their spy ships?

East Asia seems to have all the biggest balls.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

It's the leaning tower of China.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Chabudao strikes again

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

I hope no one was hurt, people often die when such a large building is evacuated due to panic. They really seem to be running for their lives.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

His Divine Shadow posted:

Planets are dumb. Habitats is where it's at.

2037: the CCCP hires twenty Finns (and one Swede from Norrland) to man it's Mars research base.

2042: water vapor present in Martian atmosphere, but it smells kinda like balls.

2042 1/2: Mars breaks with Earth control, establishes only truck stop in 2 light years from Earth. The food sucks.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I like to think inside the ball is an empty white room that a monk meditates and accesses their mind palace as a map because their computers running pirated Windows no longer work.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

https://twitter.com/ErikSolheim/status/1394896863401332737?s=20

China has discovered busses

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

the best feature of trams is a dedicated lane why the hell some chinese Elon thought that was a good idea

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

reminder of previous time Chine tried to reinvent the bus.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv8_W2PA0rQ

I wonder what became of this, in no way doomed to fail, project.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A beautiful world with beautiful places to visit

Barudak fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 28, 2021

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Barudak posted:

It made turning off roads impossible and the whole project was an embezzlement scheme, iirc

An embezzlement scheme? In China? Involving poorly made/thought out infrastructure that doesn't eventuate?

Surely that's unpossible.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I look forward to seeing this vehicle in the cyberpunk dystopia thread after someone does an adversarial attack by painting a trail of dotted white lines into a cornfield.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Train bus seems good where you would want a bus but there's heaps of people. Towing three buses with one engine is probably more efficient with modern diesels. It's more flexible than light rail.

I love straddling bus though.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

That's just a tandem bus. I mean, if it's an improved approach to a tandem bus, sure, good work China, but it's not some kind of fancy super future land train.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

A favourite slang from good China; 豆腐大楼
(Tofu building)

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The whole "China is perfect and has never and will never do wrong" mindset just loving baffles me. Every single country in the world has blood on its hands and I couldn't even name one which isn't plunging its hands into the blood trough to add more as we speak.
The great thing is that went you point out out blatant facts they can’t deny they just engage in whataboutism. "And you are lynching Negroes" etc. Then when your reply is “Yes that was terrible and my country should feel ashamed and others should learn from it” it breaks their brains and they just start the autistic screeching.

Willingly lose face!?!! Impossible!

BrigadierSensible posted:

An embezzlement scheme? In China? Involving poorly made/thought out infrastructure that doesn't eventuate?

Surely that's unpossible.
Yeah a year or so ago someone tracked down the corpses of these things abandoned in some warehouse or glorified carport somewhere.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I look forward to seeing this vehicle in the cyberpunk dystopia thread after someone does an adversarial attack by painting a trail of dotted white lines into a cornfield.

I've a vague recollection of ppl having a whale of a time with hijacking the control system.

I think the conclusion was Sims will piss and poo poo themselves to death in a box with no exit.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

The ol' nine dash line exploit.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Bum the Sad posted:

The great thing is that went you point out out blatant facts they can’t deny they just engage in whataboutism. "And you are lynching Negroes" etc. Then when your reply is “Yes that was terrible and my country should feel ashamed and others should learn from it” it breaks their brains and they just start the autistic screeching.

This is literally what happened in the AusPol thread.

One of the idiots said, "If you say all of those things China is doing is bad, then you have to say what the Australian government is doing to the Aboriginal people is bad."

To which I replied, "Yes." and they lost their mind.

It's amazing how it always plays out the same. It's like they work off a script.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I have engaged with numerous 50c wolf warriors on reddit and what gets me is the amount of obscure bullshit they'll whatabout at me sometimes. "oh Chinas treatment of uighurs is bad? What about the treatment of native americans in the state of washington in 1875 then?" i always reply with "that is atrocious just like what china is doing, also i am not American and whataboutism is not an argument" and they never reply again and just downvote me to hell.

Im 100 percent sure they just have a list of copy pasteable historic atrocities for each country ready to go, but they flounder when they can't figure out which one it is.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Hey, that guy used to Norway's minister for environmental protection.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The top replies are "it's a bus", an overlap of juche and intifada twitter, and a PRC state mouthpiece trying to dilute / misapply national security arguments.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

https://youtu.be/QNixDlRoMvA

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Barudak posted:

It made turning off roads impossible and the whole project was an embezzlement scheme, iirc

Yeah it was just a scam.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/nufccook/status/1394933841882714113?s=21

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

He’s so fat lol

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

In non-bus related news, they finally released images from Zhurong.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/19/..._source=twitter

Also our very own scoot moonbux confirmed the delay was Tianwen had to regularize its orbit to communicate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep7Hb0_GPbU

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 19, 2021

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

A bendy bus larping as light rail. Just when you thought you saw everything...

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

In non-bus related news, they finally released images from Zhurong.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/19/..._source=twitter

Also our very own scoot moonbux confirmed the delay was Tianwen had to regularize its orbit to communicate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep7Hb0_GPbU

Very cool!

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Megillah Gorilla posted:

This is literally what happened in the AusPol thread.

One of the idiots said, "If you say all of those things China is doing is bad, then you have to say what the Australian government is doing to the Aboriginal people is bad."

To which I replied, "Yes." and they lost their mind.

It's amazing how it always plays out the same. It's like they work off a script.

Lol I just got probated by genesplicer for my post. I can’t believe that dope is still around. Stay out of this thread gene. We have good mod here.

Son of Rodney posted:

I have engaged with numerous 50c wolf warriors on reddit and what gets me is the amount of obscure bullshit they'll whatabout at me sometimes. "oh Chinas treatment of uighurs is bad? What about the treatment of native americans in the state of washington in 1875 then?" i always reply with "that is atrocious just like what china is doing, also i am not American and whataboutism is not an argument" and they never reply again and just downvote me to hell.

Im 100 percent sure they just have a list of copy pasteable historic atrocities for each country ready to go, but they flounder when they can't figure out which one it is.

Anyway I love how everyone has had the same experience. The concept of acknowledging your own wrong doing as bad is just brain breaking for the them.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 11:45 on May 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

He’s so fat lol

It's like if "fat CJ" from GTA San Andreas decided he wanted to start playing soccer.