Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 25 days!)

I'm the loving spirit of death you loving fucker. Gimme a loving kiss because fuckin' daddy is fuckin' hungry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Killing people is so awesome. I love it. I love killing people. It's what I'm good at. The killing people. I loving love killing people you stupid fucker. You loving stupid idiot. Just talking to you is wasting my time and preventing me from doing what I love, killing people.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Killing people is so awesome. I love it. I love killing people. It's what I'm good at. The killing people. I loving love killing people you stupid fucker. You loving stupid idiot. Just talking to you is wasting my time and preventing me from doing what I love, killing people.

that scene felt like half the episode runtime, maybe the VA was contracted for a set number lines and they backloaded all of them

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Saying gently caress is fine but it runs into the Whedonish issue of everyone just kinda having the same snarky style of speaking except more gently caress-laden in this case. The ancient being that feeds on souls talks in the same manner as the proud warcrimes vampire and the random drunks.

Honest Thief posted:

that scene felt like half the episode runtime, maybe the VA was contracted for a set number lines and they backloaded all of them

With better pacing/framing the vampire talking about how he's proud of winning wars through burning tents and murdering civilians and children in their sleep would have worked as a nice contrast to the member of Carmilla's coven who realized how pointless and tiresome the war they were fighting was after being ambushed by barely armed farmers defending their land.

Evrart Claire has issued a correction as of 10:59 on May 18, 2021

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zerilan posted:

Saying gently caress is fine but it runs into the Whedonish issue of everyone just kinda having the same snarky style of speaking except more gently caress-laden in this case. The ancient being that feeds on souls talks in the same manner as the proud warcrimes vampire and the random drunks.

This is the level of writing you get when someone hasn't had a meaningful social interaction since the 90s. Castlevania has an entire stable of writers, so when Ellis's god hand weighs down on a few characters it really stands out.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Even just DM'ing tabletop games I put more effort in that to making sure every character doesn't just talk how I talk.

edit: that said, I still enjoyed the season/show even if it had some real notable flaws. action scenes were all fun

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Zerilan posted:

With better pacing/framing the vampire talking about how he's proud of winning wars through burning tents and murdering civilians and children in their sleep would have worked as a nice contrast to the member of Carmilla's coven who realized how pointless and tiresome the war they were fighting was after being ambushed by barely armed farmers defending their land.

oh right, the artorias armor scene, that one was also a weird tone and prolonged banter on the aftermath
it was the first, and only, time we saw the vampire incursion so they had to put the badass action scene and that bleak realisation on the same scene

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Season 3 set up so many different characters doing completely unrelated things that it was impossible to let any of them to get the time they probably needed and took 80% of the season and a random teleportation portal to even get the main trio back together.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Honest Thief posted:

oh right, the artorias armor scene, that one was also a weird tone and prolonged banter on the aftermath
it was the first, and only, time we saw the vampire incursion so they had to put the badass action scene and that bleak realisation on the same scene

They spent the whole season setting up that plotline about "maybe actually running an empire is a little more trouble than it's worth," only to have the problem resolved for them and not actually do anything about it. Then instead of having an epilogue of King Isaac enjoying himself, the cute vampire chooses suicide after a few days of house arrest. It's all just very conveniently getting rid of characters on the flimsiest pretense.

But hey, at least the good parts are good enough to overshadow all of that.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
there was also some spiel about diplomacy vs power which ok, didnt you enslave a dude with a magical ring ?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

she "hooked" him in with diplomacy. Dipklomacy. Dicklomacy.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Vampires as sexual beings has been around since Bram Stoker made Dracula about how those heathen Eastern Europeans with their raw animal magnetism will seduce our chaste innocent white women, and Vampires as being tormented supermodels who love to have tragic gay sex has been around since Anne Rice. But what I want to know is, since Vampire are undead and have no heartbeat or bloodflow, how are they getting boners and having all this sex?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Iirc in World of Darkness vampires could spend blood points to mimic human biological functions.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I guess after a certain point a vampire could become powerful enough that they can flex their heart at will like an arm muscle. So even if the blood isn't oxygenated it's still going somewhere.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

galagazombie posted:

Vampires as sexual beings has been around since Bram Stoker made Dracula about how those heathen Eastern Europeans with their raw animal magnetism will seduce our chaste innocent white women, and Vampires as being tormented supermodels who love to have tragic gay sex has been around since Anne Rice. But what I want to know is, since Vampire are undead and have no heartbeat or bloodflow, how are they getting boners and having all this sex?

hate to break it to you but the novel dracula is also about gay sex. Vampires are gay.

I really enjoyed the last(?) season of castlevania, the wonky story telling aside it was a lot of fun. Malcolm Mcdowell was a delight.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Castlevania season 2 was bad enough with the main cast hanging around doing nothing in a library all season, only to easily beat Dracula and all of his forces in two episodes. Then Season 3 was just interminable. The main characters are walking around a bland old village with some mysteriously evil religious guys. ooh I wonder what's gonna happen. Then they wasted so much time on the dumb vampire femdom stuff with the white-haired guy.

Has season 4 fixed the problem where they clearly only have the budget for a very small number of action sequences so they spend the entire rest of the season just having the characters chatter and chatter?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Casey Finnigan posted:

Has season 4 fixed the problem where they clearly only have the budget for a very small number of action sequences so they spend the entire rest of the season just having the characters chatter and chatter?

Can't the same be said of all anime

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Casey Finnigan posted:

Castlevania season 2 was bad enough with the main cast hanging around doing nothing in a library all season, only to easily beat Dracula and all of his forces in two episodes. Then Season 3 was just interminable. The main characters are walking around a bland old village with some mysteriously evil religious guys. ooh I wonder what's gonna happen. Then they wasted so much time on the dumb vampire femdom stuff with the white-haired guy.

Season 3 had extreme "mid-game RPG hub" energy, but I also kind of liked it for it.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Southpaugh posted:

hate to break it to you but the novel dracula is also about gay sex. Vampires are gay.

But it wasn’t tragic brooding supermodel gay. Which is the big thing Anne Rice popularized and has informed Castlevania since Symphony of the Night.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Soma Cruz arc when?

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Southpaugh posted:

Then why is Dracula obsessed with stealing Harker's wife? And why does he wait until Lucy is engaged before turning her into child molester? Vampires are about cuckoldry, and, uh, probably a lot of other things too...

Lestat, on the other hand...

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I forgive the dumb Death dialogue because it's Malcolm McDowell.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Then why is Dracula obsessed with stealing Harker's wife? And why does he wait until Lucy is engaged before turning her into child molester? Vampires are about cuckoldry, and, uh, probably a lot of other things too...

Lestat, on the other hand...

Because they can't grow beards.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

galagazombie posted:

But it wasn’t tragic brooding supermodel gay. Which is the big thing Anne Rice popularized and has informed Castlevania since Symphony of the Night.

I'm not sure how, but everyone just sort of forgets Lord Byron when this comes up.

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
Season two rules because it's about the court intrigues of these bad guys who all immediately get slaughtered when the heroes show up.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
drat, Odd Taxi is insanely good

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

the fact that the dorohedoro people are making the chainsaw man anime is the only thing keeping me alive

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

grate deceiver posted:

drat, Odd Taxi is insanely good

Yes it is.

HerraS posted:

the fact that the dorohedoro people are making the chainsaw man anime is the only thing keeping me alive

This is wonderful news.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

galagazombie posted:

Carmilla is a lesbian vampire story that predates Bram Stokers Dracula

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Mr. Lobe posted:

Carmilla is a lesbian vampire story that predates Bram Stokers Dracula

Still about how those heathen Eastern Europeans with their raw animal magnetism will seduce our chaste innocent white women.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

galagazombie posted:

Still about how those heathen Eastern Europeans with their raw animal magnetism will seduce our chaste innocent white women.

Vampire stories originate in Eastern Europe, and because they're metaphors for aristocracy it's only natural that a core theme would be how they prey on women and get away with it.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Vampire stories originate in Eastern Europe, and because they're metaphors for aristocracy it's only natural that a core theme would be how they prey on women and get away with it.

theyre basically equivalent to a rhetorical device for calling the mods pedos, by replacement of the true subject with the supernatural harlequin. it's a really neat trick for an oppressed underclass, as such was the condition eastern serfs, to publically proclaim that the people in charge are all murderous rapists who probably gently caress the children they later devour

and afterwards curtsying towards the audience of aristos to perform their legendary impression of a puppydog

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

lollontee posted:

theyre basically equivalent to a rhetorical device for calling the mods pedos, by replacement of the true subject with the supernatural harlequin. it's a really neat trick for an oppressed underclass, as such was the condition eastern serfs, to publically proclaim that the people in charge are all murderous rapists who probably gently caress the children they later devour

and afterwards curtsying towards the audience of aristos to perform their legendary impression of a puppydog
This reading doesn’t really work since Vampires were originally essentially just blood zombies with no real aristocratic flair.
Vampires didn’t become associated with aristocracy until the 1800’s and the association was made by well off British men who were definitely going for a Victorian misogyny “They’re stealing our virtuous daughters!” angle. The vampire of the Eastern European common folk was more likely to be your improperly buried neighbor than your shitbag feudal lord.
Of the three works that created the modern Vampire The Vampyre, Carmilla, and Dracula all three are about the seduction of an innocent chaste upper class white lady, two of them by Eastern Europeans.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

galagazombie posted:

This reading doesn’t really work since Vampires were originally essentially just blood zombies with no real aristocratic flair.
Vampires didn’t become associated with aristocracy until the 1800’s and the association was made by well off British men who were definitely going for a Victorian misogyny “They’re stealing our virtuous daughters!” angle. The vampire of the Eastern European common folk was more likely to be your improperly buried neighbor than your shitbag feudal lord.
Of the three works that created the modern Vampire The Vampyre, Carmilla, and Dracula all three are about the seduction of an innocent chaste upper class white lady, two of them by Eastern Europeans.

err... what was your original vampire story again?

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

lol @ someone thinking 19th century brits gave even the remotest of a gently caress about eastern europeans.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

galagazombie posted:

So you think Lord Byron and Sheridan Le Fanu were paranoid about swarthy eastern europeans snatching up white women? The Vampyre is literally about an English lord.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I find it very hard to believe that 19th century British nobility could be racist.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

So you think Lord Byron and Sheridan Le Fanu were paranoid about swarthy eastern europeans snatching up white women? The Vampyre is literally about an English lord.

that’s why I said two out of three.
e: even if Sheridan and Bryon weren’t personally afraid of certain things they sure as hell knew their audience was. That’s part of writing a horror story. Like do you seriously believe upper class Victorian Brits weren’t racist against everyone and everything? Eastern Europe as some kind of not-white-enough barbarian land of horrors is a well worn trope of British literature, vampires or otherwise.

galagazombie has issued a correction as of 14:48 on May 19, 2021

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gripweed posted:

I find it very hard to believe that 19th century British nobility could be racist.

Lord Byron hated the English aristocracy, preferred to live in Venice, and became a hero of Greece. Sheridan Le Fanu is Irish. I love scoring points on English people as much as the next man of Hibernian descent, but you are really picking the wrong targets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

galagazombie posted:

that’s why I said two out of three

right, but thats not really a cultural study. like yeah im sure the concept of a vengeful undead was used in a lot of contexts over the course of the history of folk tales and theatre, but that doesn't really prove anything against the argument