Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
I have come to the realization that after Ricochet's random lashing out at Io on Twitter this morning, that Sheamus beating his rear end on RAW last night is actually good for business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

coconono posted:

It amazes me that WWE still doesn’t have a formal challenger process like literally every other company. Instead you gotta call the champ a fuckface on a quiz show or some poo poo.

I want something that's more involved than WWE's 50 title rematches but there's no rematch clause system but less involved than AEW's ranking system.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Blaise330 posted:

I want something that's more involved than WWE's 50 title rematches but there's no rematch clause system but less involved than AEW's ranking system.

Have you considered a giant roulette wheel?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Grendels Dad posted:

"Person pinning champion to become challenger" is a tried and tested booking tool in WWE. It is incredibly counter-intuitive and hasn't produced a single good follow-up story in the last 15 years or so.

I know we levy this against WWE but literally AEW does it too when they want to just have the world champ in a match. A few weeks ago it was the stipulation between Kenny Omega and Matt Sydal. Plus it is half the fun of watching the G1.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Rarity posted:

Is that what Impact uses? I haven't watched.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

DarkstarIV posted:

I have come to the realization that after Ricochet's random lashing out at Io on Twitter this morning, that Sheamus beating his rear end on RAW last night is actually good for business.

I don’t know what he did on Twitter, but it’s just good policy to always recognize Ricochet is a loser at all times, as a wrestler and a person. Sheamus is really talented at beating his rear end.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

DarkstarIV posted:

https://twitter.com/KingRicochet/status/1394504099891224581?s=20

What a maroon

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Tato posted:

I don’t know what he did on Twitter, but it’s just good policy to always recognize Ricochet is a loser at all times, as a wrestler and a person. Sheamus is really talented at beating his rear end.

Randomly lashed out at Io Shirai, because people had the audacity to say she is better than him. An incredibly generous reading would be that he is trying to work an angle. But the way more likely reading is that he is just a massive dumbass.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
"you can call me a weenie, and a loser, and a dork, and a charisma vacuum, BUT DONT YOU TALK ABOUT MY FLIPS, ILL CLAP BACK"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Someone should poo poo in his hat.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Grendels Dad posted:

"Person pinning champion to become challenger" is a tried and tested booking tool in WWE. It is incredibly counter-intuitive and hasn't produced a single good follow-up story in the last 15 years or so.

That's actually one of the ways to get to a title match that makes the most sense. If you pin the champ you have proven that you're capable of beating the champ, and as such it seems pretty logical that you should get a title shot. Just because WWE does it in dumb ways doesn't make the concept itself bad.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Imagine if you had to beat the UFC champ in a non title match to get a title shot. To help facilitate this, I'm advocating for UFC tag team matches.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Best part is it was another WWE tweet that sparked all this.

https://mobile.twitter.com/KingRicochet/status/1394346270723018757

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
I think they meant the coolest high flyer Ricochet, not literally who could fly the highest. This is a tv show, not the olympics. You're the opposite of cool.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Cerebral Bore posted:

That's actually one of the ways to get to a title match that makes the most sense. If you pin the champ you have proven that you're capable of beating the champ, and as such it seems pretty logical that you should get a title shot. Just because WWE does it in dumb ways doesn't make the concept itself bad.

It's a dumb concept when it's them getting pinned in their own division, in a relatively normal match. Pinning the champ in G-1, well that's a tournament. When Jericho was champ he challenged SCU for the tag titles with Sammy and got pinned by Scorpio Sky, so Scorpio got a title shot for pinning the world champion - even though he hadn't pinned him in a title match.

AEW also does the smart thing with rankings of saying that the champion by default has non-title matches, it's only a title match against a ranked opponent or if someone wins a shot another way.

Last year the Street Profits and Viking Raiders started a feud by Viking Raiders pinning the tag champs clean, then a month or two of comedy, and then the Viking Raiders lost clean. What changed in this time that the formerly better team lost? Them doing their weird sport things made the Raiders weak?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Blaise330 posted:

You're the opposite of cool.

Think you meant to DM me

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Cerebral Bore posted:

Pinning the champion should get you a shot at the title, yes.

But there shouldn't be any reason why the champion is constantly in non-title matches week after week either. It's pretty rare that the AEW champion is involved in them, usually he's in tag matches. Shida was an exception but part of her character was "Fighting champion" so she was in a few. Darby and Cody were also fighting champions and would take on anyone, but they were always matches for the title.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Wazzu posted:

It's a dumb concept when it's them getting pinned in their own division, in a relatively normal match. Pinning the champ in G-1, well that's a tournament. When Jericho was champ he challenged SCU for the tag titles with Sammy and got pinned by Scorpio Sky, so Scorpio got a title shot for pinning the world champion - even though he hadn't pinned him in a title match.

AEW also does the smart thing with rankings of saying that the champion by default has non-title matches, it's only a title match against a ranked opponent or if someone wins a shot another way.

Last year the Street Profits and Viking Raiders started a feud by Viking Raiders pinning the tag champs clean, then a month or two of comedy, and then the Viking Raiders lost clean. What changed in this time that the formerly better team lost? Them doing their weird sport things made the Raiders weak?

Yeah, that's why you don't book the champ getting pinned in their own division in a relatively normal match. Again, just because WWE does this in dumb ways doesn't mean that the concept itself is bad, because as you yourself point out there are ways to make it work.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

That would require me to believe that "literally no one" in WWE except Rioochet hangs out with pedophiles, and I don't believe that.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Rarity posted:

maybe people could wrestle each other for a unique opportunity.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

the WWE also books a ton of non title matches that the champ wins, which doesn't really help anyone because the champ should be winning but successful defenses are more impressive than beating Ricochet in three minutes with two ad breaks in the second hour of Raw

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Ricochet is doing an Andy Kaufman gimmick now

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Oh drat. Listening to WOR and Dave's reporting Miz at least partially tore his ACL when Priest landed on him in the zombie match.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

After his initial post, why does Ricochet feel the need to respond to others? What a dork.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Eat My Fuc posted:

Ricochet is doing an Andy Kaufman gimmick now

C'mon.

Andy had charisma.

TV Zombie posted:

After his initial post, why does Ricochet feel the need to respond to others? What a dork.

He's a thin-skinned child.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It's really important that I let you all know that I'm better than some girl. Now tune in next week where I may have the second match on Main Event!

bartok
May 10, 2006

Dango Bango posted:

Oh drat. Listening to WOR and Dave's reporting Miz at least partially tore his ACL when Priest landed on him in the zombie match.

That seems pretty minor compared to being eaten alive in the grand scheme of things.

I didn't watch the match but I assume Miz was killed by being disemboweled by a horde of zombies just like that rear end in a top hat David from Shaun of the Dead.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

bartok posted:

That seems pretty minor compared to being eaten alive in the grand scheme of things.

I didn't watch the match but I assume Miz was killed by being disemboweled by a horde of zombies just like that rear end in a top hat David from Shaun of the Dead.

Well, he is a failed actor and a twat

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I was genuinely excited when Ricochet originally joined NXT and my opinions of him has fallen so hard. In hindsight, the 5-star NA title ladder match he debuted in really was cursed, and Rico got off better than most people from it.

Ricochet: Stuck on Main Event, low public opinion due to hanging out with known abusers/groomers Chasyn Rance and Marty Scurll while having maskless parties during a pandemic, and being generally whining and insufferable.

Killian Dain: Had his stable disbanded after being called up and doing nothing, then unceremoniously sent back to NXT to be in a lower-card tag team.

Velveteen Dream: Missing from TV for being a pedo.

Lars Sullivan: Released for being a nazi

EC3: Buried immediately after being called up by giving him a mute gimmick when his biggest strength was as a promo guy.

Adam Cole: The most successful of the group. Has been consistently top of the card in NXT but has kinda run out of things to do because he should’ve been called up but HHH is holding him back until Vince dies knowing he’s too short to make it on the main roster.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Dacap posted:

EC3: Buried immediately after being called up by giving him a mute gimmick when his biggest strength was as a promo guy.

Addendum to this, probably buried in part due to failing to bury Dean Ambrose on the way out when nobody was buying it.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Otis is the most successful NXT call-up in years. Continually featured on actual TV, not Main Event. Won Money in the Bank (even if he lost it). Not forced to sit in a dark closet for a year.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Otis hasn't been on TV in months

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Otis has been on Smackdown 15 times in 2021, most recently on 5-7-21.

I can only conclude you haven't been watching or paying attention to any quality WWE programming, for shame.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Otis’ push went nowhere, they took away his MITB and separated Mandy away from him before putting him back into a tag with Gable.

Had they never split up Heavy Machinery, they probably would’ve held the belts a few times by now due to the lack of teams in the division and Tucker would still have a job.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
at this point i'm pretty sure otis is still around so that they have a fat dude to stick a diaper on for new years' with tall paul gone

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Wouldn't this be the first major injury of Miz's career?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Wouldn't this be the first major injury of Miz's career?

He got very concussed in his mania main event.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I know this is a dumb question, but when did AJ and Omos turn face? How are they feuding with Elias and Ryker now?

Also lmao at Kofi pinning Lashley. Social media completely quiet about it too. So telling.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Bummer for Miz that he can no longer use never being injured as an excuse for being a lovely wrestler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Omos is very tall and people like seeing him manhandle people.

That tag match with the New Day basically built up to the hot tag where Omos beat the poo poo out of the beloved faces and people seemed to like it