Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Time posted:

Hell yeah this is what I’m talking about

also, more sealant

no, no, more than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

learnincurve posted:

I’m trying to make the OP feel less bad because a thing I learned with teaching the mini how to ride this year is that you forget/memory hole how absolutely miserable hills are for a absolute beginner. You go from struggling to go up even the slightest hill, sweating and trying not to cry, to being able to eat it, albeit slowly, with a few weeks of regular riding* - mini still hasn’t worked out how to stand and ride.

*bonus point if it turns out your seat was too low.

Sure but you framed it as the ride being incorrectly advertised and the rest of the group being lovely, neither of which is true.

The main takeaway is that this is the kind of ride that you'll be in condition for after just a few more days of riding, but in the meantime holding your hand up and saying "that's me done today" is absolutely no embarrassment or holding anyone else back.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Unsinkabear posted:

I bought my car private party and don't have a standing dealer relationship, so I'd have to call around and find one to do it.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by bumper cover and why only uhaul would have to cut it, not the dealership? This model's instructions on e-trailer mention modifying the heat shield, but I assume that's not the same thing.

The dealership has to cut it too, they’ve done the same model over and over, uhaul is just going to be some kid going at your bumper cover with tin snips or something.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
RE: POV vids, and yes the woozy horse has bolted from the nausiating barn already, but I have A) a bike and B) a GoPro and C) a big stupid clamp with a GoPro mount on it. So I put those three things together and had my GoPro hanging from my handlebars, part of the front wheel in frame and hit the green MTB trails I often ride.

The resulting video was unwatchable. Literally. I don't normally suffer from motion sickness, I'm fairly resistant to seasickness (not to anything properly rough but I'm OK on normal chop on a boat), I never get motion sick in a car, bus, airplane, etc. But watching my own video fullscreen ruined my day. I felt bad after about 10 minutes. There's something about the never-quite-100%-level aspect of it combined with the (dampened by the GoPro's algorithms) vibration and swinging side to side that just ruined me.

Nobody else will ever see that footage because I can't bring myself to edit it.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Went for my first ride tonight in a year+
I knew I was outta shape, and pushing the max weight of my bike, I did NOT realize my back tire was flat prior to going out.
So yeah...ride was definitely harder then it should have been. Hoping I didn't gently caress up the tire at all
Didn't notice the flat until I got home.
Also the little Strava map is kinda fun to see after a ride

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

RE food on rides:

I usually keep some kind of awful sugary rear end candy in my handlebar bags for quick burn calories if I start to bonk on hill climbs. Sour Patch Kids or the Trader Joe's equivalent are a fave, but OTT I usually average a cliff or protein bar every 1.5 - 2 hours and that seems to work okay for when I'm doing longer or all day rides.

Keep at it!

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

learnincurve posted:

“Shitload of hills” would not be what I would pick for a group ride with actual beginners on it :shrug:

Check yourself. The first “climb” was 70ft over 2 miles. That’s an average incline of less than 1%.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Time posted:

I’m having a lot of problems getting the bead set on my gravel king SKs. I put in a tube and pulled it out to set one side but I cannot get the other wall to do it. I tried one of the small co2 cartridges but it didn’t seem to do anything. The bead is nowhere near the rims on the unseated side, it just kind of does whatever it wants. I removed the valve core but it doesn’t seem like that’s helping air flow. Also I’m on a long trip and don’t really have access to a lot

Things I have:

-normal pump without the reservoir tech
-3 Co2 cartridges and the adaptor that I probably did not use correctly
- some other stuff I dunno ask and I might have it.

If the answer is just get to a bike shop I can probably make that work but I’m hoping to avoid it.

I just installed extremely loose Continental Terra Speeds on my rims. There was no way to seat it normally even with a shop compressor. What I ended up doing was use a tube to seat one side, then use a booster pump / AirShot canister to seat the other side. I pump the canister up to about 170psi. <160psi is hit or miss.

Failing that, build up the circumference of the center channel with extra layers of tape.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Vando posted:

Sure but you framed it as the ride being incorrectly advertised and the rest of the group being lovely, neither of which is true.

The main takeaway is that this is the kind of ride that you'll be in condition for after just a few more days of riding, but in the meantime holding your hand up and saying "that's me done today" is absolutely no embarrassment or holding anyone else back.

Yeah, telling someone "actually this group is super poo poo" when they're not and it's just part of being a beginner that you occasionally have to hold your hand up and go "I'm done for the day" is not going to make anyone feel better about their experience and is more likely to lead to them giving up cycling

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Someone has a mild opinion that does not effect you in the slightest! Quick everyone, tell them why they are wrong, repeatedly and in a sanctimonious way, it’s been at least 12 hours, don’t let it drop!

There was a god drat lake nearby on the flat and it was a first ride for at least two riders, thinking a absolute beginner group should be taken there is not WRONG THINK! ROAD BIKERS ASSEMBLE AND ATTTAAAAAAACKKK!

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 10:49 on May 18, 2021

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
The floors of a certain condomium complex in San Francisco are steeper than the climbs on that group ride.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
And yet the two beginners dropped out, one of them after being given the impression that it was a distance and speed they could handle because they had done it before, so clearly something went wrong here and imo it’s not on the newbies.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
It's important to let beginners know that it's ok to tire yourself out sometimes and that nobody is judging them for it, acting like it's some giant routing fuckup is just going to make people afraid to try new things.

It's pretty rich that you are the one calling the organisers dickheads lc but it's us saying "hey hold on now" that are being OTT in your book?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Thanks for the good advice everyone. I could not get it seated with what I have on this bike packing trip so I just put a tube in and I’ll ride this way until I get to the next bike shop. I really do appreciate all the very good tips!

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
welcome to day two of the beginner road ride trial where today learnincurve will definitively prove those guys were assholes

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

learnincurve posted:

Someone has a mild opinion that does not effect you in the slightest! Quick everyone, tell them why they are wrong, repeatedly and in a sanctimonious way, it’s been at least 12 hours, don’t let it drop!

There was a god drat lake nearby on the flat and it was a first ride for at least two riders, thinking a absolute beginner group should be taken there is not WRONG THINK! ROAD BIKERS ASSEMBLE AND ATTTAAAAAAACKKK!

You've posted, at length, about how this bike shop is poo poo and that OP in effect should never go back because they're that bad when in actuality its you who has the massive chip on their shoulder about it all and I'm going to be honest, the way you post makes me think you've never actually been on a group ride.

That was a very good route for beginners. Downhill for half of it, short(ish) and with some reasonable efforts to get fitter. The route is certainly within the OP's abilities with a bit more experience and I wouldn't be surprised if they got up it next time absolutely fine.

I'll ask you again, wind your neck in.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Does anyone have an opinion on Wahoo vs Garmin bike computer?

I've been told in no uncertain terms to go get the radar as a safety device, so a computer is required as a paired display and the radar pairs with both. I dont know anything about anything - so seeking people's opinions.

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 18, 2021

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

learnincurve posted:

If you continue posting about stuff you clearly know very little about, don't get offended when people point out you are wrong

You've been acting like you're the authority on all forms of biking recently with very little to back it up

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Wahoo has great battery life Garmin has cool features both are great choices but I think at this point a Garmin 530 is the better choice. I say that as a Wahoo user. If you're ever going to get a Tacx trainer and want to use your computer in tandem with Zwift get the Garmin, the Wahoo seems to still have a few issues playing nice with Tacx.

Apr 7, 2003

When I first started riding seriously I screwed up hills pretty bad because I kept trying to stand and push through too high a gear like I was an eleven year old on a single speed coaster bike.

Once I was told that you just put it into a lower gear and just sit and spin they became much easier.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Why do you 'have' to get the garmin radar? I've not found it to be particularly useful aside from it being quite a good rear light in the dark.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I love the Varia radar and can’t imagine riding without it now tbh. Urban environments I’m sure it’s going off constantly but out in the country it’s invaluable. I’d say 75% of the riders I’m with have one at this point.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

learnincurve posted:

The flat lake is 30 miles away from the shop.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I love the Varia radar and can’t imagine riding without it now tbh. Urban environments I’m sure it’s going off constantly but out in the country it’s invaluable. I’d say 75% of the riders I’m with have one at this point.

Having never used one or seen one in the wild I'm willing to take your word for it, but at the same time I'm struggling to think of a situation my ears wouldn't work just as well

What makes it so useful?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
you get a radar so you can hear beeping before you die

in seriousness i expect the purpose of a radar is to make you be sure to he predictable while you’re being passed, go in a straight line and not be grabbing for your water and swerving

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Skarsnik posted:

Having never used one or seen one in the wild I'm willing to take your word for it, but at the same time I'm struggling to think of a situation my ears wouldn't work just as well

What makes it so useful?

It works way further out than my ears can hear, especially if there’s oncoming traffic causing noise. It shows how many cars are coming up from behind so I can adjust speed if I’m making a turn across traffic.

I know it sounds cliché but it’s one of those things that doesn’t seem all that great until you actually use it.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

When I first started riding seriously I screwed up hills pretty bad because I kept trying to stand and push through too high a gear like I was an eleven year old on a single speed coaster bike.

Once I was told that you just put it into a lower gear and just sit and spin they became much easier.

The big thing for me with hills starting out was learning that you should probably be going a LOT slower than you think, and if you're going even a little too fast you blow up incredibly quickly.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

It works way further out than my ears can hear, especially if there’s oncoming traffic causing noise. It shows how many cars are coming up from behind so I can adjust speed if I’m making a turn across traffic.

I know it sounds cliché but it’s one of those things that doesn’t seem all that great until you actually use it.

Oh I didn't realise it could pick out individual cars, that's cool

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
A buddy of mine got one and swears by it. Its especially useful for gravel where traffic is just frequent enough to be an occasional concern but when you're alone you're occasionally all over the road looking for that one line that isn't either deep loose gravel or median nerve destroying washboard.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

But what if I'm still riding a single speed and have to go over the big bridge???

Don't worry, don't worry, my ratio is so weaksauce that I can stay in the saddle but the fixie kids gently rib me about it sometimes.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

serious gaylord posted:

Why do you 'have' to get the garmin radar? I've not found it to be particularly useful aside from it being quite a good rear light in the dark.

My wife requested it because she gets worried when I go on bike rides, particularly after a cyclist was killed on a route I do regularly (I posted the story sometime last week). So she asked that I get that as a safety feature if I plan to continue riding roads.

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 18, 2021

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

EvilJoven posted:

Wahoo has great battery life Garmin has cool features both are great choices but I think at this point a Garmin 530 is the better choice. I say that as a Wahoo user. If you're ever going to get a Tacx trainer and want to use your computer in tandem with Zwift get the Garmin, the Wahoo seems to still have a few issues playing nice with Tacx.

Thanks for this - if Garmin is a better choice, seems to make the most sense to pair the same brand.

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 18, 2021

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Skarsnik posted:

What makes it so useful?
1) After a few hours in the saddles your spatial awareness will be compromised. Same when you're bombing down a descent and the wind noise is drowning everything. Same if you have closer traffic drowning out cars further away.
2) It drives the light, potentially increasing visibility.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Silca baby what are you doing??

this is a computer mount

Apr 7, 2003

Lookin' aerodynamic

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

this is a computer mount

oh something's getting mounted alright

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I rolled my eyes at the idea of the Varia for a few years. I've been riding on the road without one for almost thirty years, of course I don't need one. Turn your drat head, use your ears, etc.

Eventually one friend loaned me one, and one ride with it was enough to convince me.
Personally I turned off the beeps because I mostly ride in the city, but whether riding solo or in a group it's just a surprising amount of peace of mind to have.
Having the indicator to see "oh yeah just two more cars behind me, time to start looking back to see if it's clear to turn" or "one car but it's not accelerating, so we're probably fine to keep rotating" is just one more "sense" that I can now use, in addition to listening for them and verifying whatever I hear or the radar sees with my own eyes.
It's also a good taillight with like 15hr battery life, so that's nice, too. I run that day or night.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Dren posted:

you get a radar so you can hear beeping before you die

in seriousness i expect the purpose of a radar is to make you be sure to he predictable while you’re being passed, go in a straight line and not be grabbing for your water and swerving

It’s literally so I can confidently ride in the middle of the lane of a country road where there’s no crap/debris without constantly glancing over my shoulder. I hear the beep, I move over.

Also it can detect cars from almost 500ft away, and how fast they are going. Red means “I’m in danger.”

The pro move on group rides is remembering anyone can link to anyone else’s radar. Your entire group can piggyback off one.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 18, 2021

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

oh something's getting mounted alright

(NSFW)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

TobinHatesYou posted:

It’s literally so I can confidently ride in the middle of the lane of a country road where there’s no crap/debris without constantly glancing over my shoulder. I hear the beep, I move over.

Also it can detect cars from almost 500ft away, and how fast they are going. Red means “I’m in danger.”

The pro move on group rides is remembering anyone can link to anyone else’s radar. Your entire group can piggyback off one.

Is there a convenient way to toggle the beep? I turned it off because all my rides at least start in the city.

I would clarify that red means "significant speed differential" not that you're in danger. The Varia has no awareness of or ability to indicate lane position. So if you're riding in a fully separated bike lane next to a freeway, it will just be full red constantly.