Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
I'll be two weeks post shot two on Friday, and god damnit, after more than a year, I am going to the god damned gym, for my physical as well as mental health. Yes, I will wear a mask, but gently caress I really want to go lift some weights and actually feel safe about it. I've tried to go a few times at off hours and noped out seeing so many people without masks and not bothering to use the sanitizing wipes after they used a piece of equipment.

It will be a paranoid workout for sure, but I need the gym to bring me back a sense of normalcy/routine/sanity. I would say #GAINZ but lol covid more like #losses. It'll be the best DOMS ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Helith posted:

Hey, if there are any 40-49 year old NSW goons in this thread you can get vaxxed right now with Pfizer. My husband and I registered our interest yesterday and got an invite today to book an appointment and we're going to the vax hub at Olympic Park next week.

Register here https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectious/covid-19/vaccine/Pages/community.aspx

Some people over 50 can also get Pfizer. I got an email on Sunday inviting me to book for the Westmead hospital hub. Blacktown hospital will also have a Pfizer hub, apparently (these things should have happened a couple of months ago).

AZ is now available at GPs in NSW, too.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 18, 2021

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Got pfizer yesterday, only had a bit of a sore arm but I kept moving it so today that was gone. Sitting here feeling smug about no real side effects. Then I noticed on thigh is sore. I didn't do anything unusual with my legs yesterday, and if I had it would be both thighs, right? Doublecheck the side effects list and "muscle soreness" is there. Kinda expected that one to be more general than one large muscle in my thigh. ???

Sitting and thinking about it got me to notice my back is a little sore too. Sore back is pretty common though, I might not have even noticed if not for the weird thigh. What the hell, body?

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
At the moment the Australian government is saying we won't re-open our borders before mid-2022. That's getting significant pushback from the business and airline sectors, who maintain that we should not pursue a policy of elimination and that Australians will just have to learn to live with covid.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Facebook Aunt posted:

Got pfizer yesterday, only had a bit of a sore arm but I kept moving it so today that was gone. Sitting here feeling smug about no real side effects. Then I noticed on thigh is sore. I didn't do anything unusual with my legs yesterday, and if I had it would be both thighs, right? Doublecheck the side effects list and "muscle soreness" is there. Kinda expected that one to be more general than one large muscle in my thigh. ???

Sitting and thinking about it got me to notice my back is a little sore too. Sore back is pretty common though, I might not have even noticed if not for the weird thigh. What the hell, body?

I'm glad you got vaxed
The side effects seem to be all over the place

I think it's general inflammation so I think nothing's off the table
I think I had side effects in my gums for goodness sakes

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Lolie posted:

At the moment the Australian government is saying we won't re-open our borders before mid-2022. That's getting significant pushback from the business and airline sectors, who maintain that we should not pursue a policy of elimination and that Australians will just have to learn to live with covid.

Even weirder is that Scotty is sticking to his guns and resisting the pushback.
There must be significant polling that Aussies want to keep the border shut and stay covid free that he's paying attention to because it's coming up to election time and he wants to do a Mark McGowan.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Helith posted:

There must be significant polling that Aussies want to keep the border shut and stay covid free that he's paying attention to because it's coming up to election time and he wants to do a Mark McGowan.

He can't afford to piss off the voting public this close to an election. He already needs to overcome the negative impact loving up the vaccine rollout has had.

My reaction to anyone saying that we "just need to learn to live with covid" is fury, and I don't think that's an unusual reaction. Scotty has lost a significant amount of trust and goodwill in the last few months and regaining it will not be easy.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s fine.

Everyone has already forgotten how he hosed off to Hawai‘i while the country was burning.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Helith posted:

People living in disability care accommodation were supposed to be vaxxed under stage 1A of the rollout but they've only gotten around to jabbing 4% of them so far even though most states have already moved on to stage 1B and NSW has opened up 2A
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-18/covid-19-vaccinations-borders-hrdlicka-steele-john-littleproud/100145526

quote:

People in disability accommodation facilities are included in Phase 1A of the rollout.

But just 999 have received a shot, which is less than 4 per cent of the people living in the facilities.

Mr Littleproud, when asked if that figure was "good enough", said "yes, because it's part of the scheduled rollout".

"The fact we haven't had cases here in Australia to the extent of everywhere else in the world, we can make sure that we can do this rollout properly with confidence and instill confidence in the community in every sector," he said on Tuesday.
I think the numbers for aged care facilities would be even worse, there's roughly 200,000 people living in aged care facilities and the federal vaxx program has vaxxed less than 5,000 people in care homes according to the reported stats: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-02/charting-australias-covid-vaccine-rollout/13197518?nw=0

It'd be instant political suicide if they opened up the borders and a nursing home or two got wiped out. Weirdly enough they don't seem to be in any loving hurry to push those numbers further along.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Lolie posted:

That's a particularly generous way of phrasing it...

Virgin CEO calls for open borders, even if ‘some people may die’

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

People living in disability care accommodation were supposed to be vaxxed under stage 1A of the rollout but they've only gotten around to jabbing 4% of them so far even though most states have already moved on to stage 1B and NSW has opened up 2A
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-18/covid-19-vaccinations-borders-hrdlicka-steele-john-littleproud/100145526

I think the numbers for aged care facilities would be even worse, there's roughly 200,000 people living in aged care facilities and the federal vaxx program has vaxxed less than 5,000 people in care homes according to the reported stats: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-02/charting-australias-covid-vaccine-rollout/13197518?nw=0

It'd be instant political suicide if they opened up the borders and a nursing home or two got wiped out. Weirdly enough they don't seem to be in any loving hurry to push those numbers further along.

Littleproud is so out of touch with the sentiments of the average voter. I haven't come across anyone who is OK with the slowness of the rollout apart from a handful of politicians. In the community, people are pissed off about how slow and confusing it has all been and the fact that almost three months on so few of our most vulnerable people - the ones our federal government was organising vaccinations for - have been vaccinated. I'm going to guess that the third party providers who were contracted to carry out those immunisations didn't have targets and that they'll get paid no matter how long it takes for them to doing it.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

killer crane posted:

Commonly I've heard "I can't miss 3 days of work/taking care of my kids dealing with side effects."

There's plenty who say they'll get around to it eventually, but I wonder how many of those are waiting for a time they feel able to be off their feet with side effects.

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah this too.

Like not all states have the COVID sick time stuff (they should).

The federal government is even paying (in the form of refundable tax credits) for small/midsize businesses to give people COVID sick time, including time off to get vaccinated and/or deal with the side effects. It's sad that, despite this, some businesses still won't get with the program.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
MEANWHILE

US test numbers goes doooooooown

Test positivity rate goes up

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://twitter.com/MiddleEastEye/status/1394346475014995969

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The question isn’t whether that’s a war crime, it’s how many war crimes it is.

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
it feels so good to be vaccinated and not wearing a mask. yes! enjoy life.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

stellers bae posted:

it feels so good to be vaccinated and not wearing a mask. yes! enjoy life.

Whose rereg are you?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

A Fancy Hat posted:

I hate to say it but I've pretty much accepted that some portion of my wife's family will die of covid in the next year because they refuse to get vaccinated or take even the most basic precautions when not forced to.
I don't mean to undermine the importance of containment or vaccination but it's important to note that Covid still has a surprisingly lowish death rate with proper care. Current case fatality rates are under 2%.

So even when a couple dozen people are being total idiots throwing a literal covid party, and they all get it - it's still a coinflip whether anyone actually dies.

This helps explain a lot of the idiocy out there. There are tons of stories of people doing everything wrong, being in a vulnerable group, getting it, and ultimately recovering.

It's a bit like that dumbass you probably know who drove drunk "successfully" a dozen times and thinks it's totally safe - a 2% risk of crashing is really high (several times a year), but 98% of the time things work out ok. People "learn" from that and get really wrong ideas.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The problem there is that the figures radically change if you are my grandma, 94.

How different would this have gone if we had framed it as being all about saving the world war 2 war heroes?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

learnincurve posted:

The problem there is that the figures radically change if you are my grandma, 94.

How different would this have gone if we had framed it as being all about saving the world war 2 war heroes?

Everyone was pretty joyous and enthusiastic about ignoring it when it was being labelled as only deadly to the elderly.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

It’s quite interesting that the UK numbers are still trending down but the India variant coming right up. Like it’s only getting people that would get covid if that makes sense, rather than getting just anyone. That’s quite uncommon for virus’ isn’t it?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I don't think we have ever tracked variants like this before, so who knows.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Have some happier news!

quote:

96% of Britons develop antibodies after one Covid jab, study finds

Results show Pfizer/BioNTech and Oxford/AstraZeneca jabs are proving highly effective

More than 90% of Britons develop antibodies to coronavirus after having one dose of the AstraZeneca or Pfizer vaccines, and almost 100% do so after their second jab, research shows.

The findings, based on a study of 8,517 people in England and Wales, are the latest evidence to show that the two mainstays of Britain’s vaccine drive are proving highly effective.

The research found that 96.42% of people who had either vaccine had developed antibodies 28 to 34 days after their first dose. That rose to 99.08% within seven to 14 days of the second jab.

Both vaccines were equally good at triggering the antibodies needed to fight off Covid-19, the researchers from University College London (UCL) found.

“This is one of the earliest real-world vaccine studies in the UK and it is fantastic news”, said Dr Maddie Shrotri, the lead author of the paper containing the findings.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/18/96-of-britons-develop-antibodies-after-one-covid-jab-study-finds

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

ShadowHawk posted:

I don't mean to undermine the importance of containment or vaccination but it's important to note that Covid still has a surprisingly lowish death rate with proper care. Current case fatality rates are under 2%.

So even when a couple dozen people are being total idiots throwing a literal covid party, and they all get it - it's still a coinflip whether anyone actually dies.

This helps explain a lot of the idiocy out there. There are tons of stories of people doing everything wrong, being in a vulnerable group, getting it, and ultimately recovering.

It's a bit like that dumbass you probably know who drove drunk "successfully" a dozen times and thinks it's totally safe - a 2% risk of crashing is really high (several times a year), but 98% of the time things work out ok. People "learn" from that and get really wrong ideas.

An excessive focus on death rates has been part of the problem in getting the virus under control. For a lot of people the odds of dying might be low, but the odds of permanent heart or lung damage, or psychosis, or taste/smell perversion are not well-quantified.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

An excessive focus on death rates has been part of the problem in getting the virus under control. For a lot of people the odds of dying might be low, but the odds of permanent heart or lung damage, or psychosis, or taste/smell perversion are not well-quantified.

Not to mention getting the flu itself kind of sucks and Covid is pretty much worse than it.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Bape Culture posted:

It’s quite interesting that the UK numbers are still trending down but the India variant coming right up. Like it’s only getting people that would get covid if that makes sense, rather than getting just anyone. That’s quite uncommon for virus’ isn’t it?

What numbers? For the past week+ the C-19 symptom tracking app (so not government numbers but a higher estimate based on an algorithm) has shown my borough growing - generally double the number a week previous. Currently estimates cases at "287, up by 144 from last week".

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CaptainSarcastic posted:

For sure. It's a horrible disease and worth preventing, especially when that's as simple as "get a free shot for yourself". Just don't be too surprised if the idiots you know get it and don't actually face more serious consequences.

To put it in another perspective, the survivablility rate for the elderly is still about 80-90%. That's also about the survivability rate for getting stabbed in the chest, but for some reason we don't have idiots going around saying stabbing old people is no big deal.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Bape Culture posted:

Prat Hancock has been going about almost showing an emotion because the people who have would up in hospital or died should be vaccinated because they are eligible but aren’t. Most of them are the elderly who would have had two jabs by now.

We recently had a 4 death day and all of them were over 80 and unvaccinated.

Basically when you read people say it’s not being vaccinated is a self correcting problem the UK is proving them right, BUT this isn’t America it’s happening here because community leaders and family’s are badly letting down vulnerable elderly people. We have seen time and time again that when there is a community effort with religious leaders, whatever the leader, the uptake goes up - Church of England in particular has been dreadful.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Uk now sat on enough vaccines to do everyone over the age of 12, decision on vaccinating children expected shortly.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s crazy that the same CDC that’s like “Watch out! There’s polio in Malaysia!” is like “Go on down to Denny’s to gently caress and suck in a pandemic. You deserve it.”

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Platystemon posted:

It’s crazy that the same CDC that’s like “Watch out! There’s polio in Malaysia!” is like “Go on down to Denny’s to gently caress and suck in a pandemic. You deserve it.”

this is the best framing of this that we've ever had in either thread

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

Platystemon posted:

lol

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

MEANWHILE

US test numbers goes doooooooown

Test positivity rate goes up

That's not a very dramatic rise in positivity percentage, especially not compared to the drop in testing. Certainly not enough to suggest the drop in testing is causing the drop in cases, especially since it's still close to the lowest positivity rate we've had the entire pandemic, but it's certainly worth keeping and eye on over the next few days and weeks. If positivity keeps going up like that, uh oh.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 18, 2021

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Platystemon posted:

It's also the same CDC that advises everyone to overcook meat products

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

wilderthanmild posted:

That's not a very dramatic rise in positivity percentage, especially not compared to the drop in testing. Certainly not enough to suggest the drop in testing is causing the drop in cases, especially since it's still close to the lowest positivity rate we've had the entire pandemic, but it's certainly worth keeping and eye on over the next few weeks. If positivity keeps going up like that, uh oh.

It doesn't surprise me that the percentage of positive tests is going up. Who gets tested, generally?

1. People who have possible COVID symptoms or were directly exposed
2. People who are required to get tested for jobs/activities/travel
3. Asymptomatic people who just want to know if they currently have it

Relaxed restrictions and being able to show proof of vaccination rather than a negative COVID test will make group #2 decline.

And for group #3, many people who were getting tested regularly will stop after becoming fully vaccinated, especially as overall numbers drop. I know several people with customer-facing jobs (bank tellers, food workers, etc.) who stopped getting voluntary COVID tests once they were fully vaccinated. They'll likely only get a test if they suddenly fall into group #1.

Which leaves group #1, the people who are more likely to actually test positive for COVID.

Plenty of reasons left to panic, but I don't see this as one of them.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

It's really baffling and this is a hilarious comparison.

I also believe the claim that they weren't considering politics at all when they changed the guidance on masks for vaccinated people, because even just considering that Republicans exist should have been enough to suggest that was a stupid idea.

WhiteHowler posted:

It doesn't surprise me that the percentage of positive tests is going up. Who gets tested, generally?

1. People who have possible COVID symptoms or were directly exposed
2. People who are required to get tested for jobs/activities/travel
3. Asymptomatic people who just want to know if they currently have it

Relaxed restrictions and being able to show proof of vaccination rather than a negative COVID test will make group #2 decline.

And for group #3, many people who were getting tested regularly will stop after becoming fully vaccinated, especially as overall numbers drop. I know several people with customer-facing jobs (bank tellers, food workers, etc.) who stopped getting voluntary COVID tests once they were fully vaccinated. They'll likely only get a test if they suddenly fall into group #1.

Which leaves group #1, the people who are more likely to actually test positive for COVID.

Plenty of reasons left to panic, but I don't see this as one of them.

I'm also a little curious if that's a dataset that lags a bit and the drop in tests or rise in positivity might be less after a few days. I don't check that particular metric daily and am not familiar with any quirks it might have with collection time. I also don't use Our World In Data all that much, usually just for comparing vaccination rates across countries.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 18, 2021

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Huh, apparently Dewine's lottery idea is working, I guess.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ohio-sees-boost-shots-after-it-announces-1-million-vaccination-n1267648

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

does that make up for what a stupid open everything up rear end in a top hat he was last year? was pretty sweet watching the bloom of counties in ohio turning red from the south up as that jackass hosed everything up

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

boar guy posted:

does that make up for what a stupid open everything up rear end in a top hat he was last year? was pretty sweet watching the bloom of counties in ohio turning red from the south up as that jackass hosed everything up

He's also trying to deny the extra unemployment benefit that the feds are giving out from the latest stimulus bill, he definitely sucks. But it seems like the lottery was a good idea at least! Anybody choosing not to get the shot probably understands probability poorly enough that they are exactly the kind of folks who a lottery could work on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

boar guy posted:

For what it's worth, he was probably one of the best GOP governors as far as the pandemic goes. Ohio was one of the first to shut down. He actually stuck to his health orders other than the shutdown and really only relented on the shutdown when the legislature basically started threatening to destroy all kinds of poo poo. Particularly they were threatening to ruin his family politically. He still shouldn't have given in of course, but unlike other GOP governors, he was actually starting from a point of doing the right thing.

Hell, how many states with GOP governors kept mask mandates into this year? How many just skipped them? Even him ending the mask mandate a couple weeks from now is basically just relenting to the legislature passing a law blocking such orders and overriding his veto.

Don't get me wrong, Dewine sucks in a lot of ways, but he's a lot better than the average GOP governor in regards to the pandemic, especially considering that the entire state legislature and his own state party was basically fighting him the whole way.