Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Ebola Dog posted:

I've not done much base building in below zero yet but I never really used foundations in subnautica because of how fiddly they were. I generally prefer how the base modules look when directly on the sea floor rather than foundations and it avoids clipping issues etc. Just use more bulkheads and reinforcements!

I only use foundations to put my external growbeds on. (And now as a yard for parking my seatruck modules.)

Stabbing every plant type you come across to check if you can grow them yourself and then also doing just that, is amazingly useful btw. And it looks cool as hell.

It does make the bottom of your base look a bit ugly with the hundreds of extra legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

uXs posted:

I only use foundations to put my external growbeds on. (And now as a yard for parking my seatruck modules.)

Stabbing every plant type you come across to check if you can grow them yourself and then also doing just that, is amazingly useful btw. And it looks cool as hell.

It does make the bottom of your base look a bit ugly with the hundreds of extra legs.

I had a kelp garden outside of one of my bases in the first game to denote the parking area for my cyclops, and it felt like coming into a runway with how much light those drat plants were putting out :3:

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Guessing a lot of resources don't respawn or anything, so is it possible to like, entirely gently caress myself over by wasting metals on poo poo (like accidentally made way too many pipes at one point)?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Zerilan posted:

Guessing a lot of resources don't respawn or anything, so is it possible to like, entirely gently caress myself over by wasting metals on poo poo (like accidentally made way too many pipes at one point)?

I don’t think so, but there’s typically a ton of titanium floating around here and there so it shouldn’t really be an issue. Crack open random limestone outcrops and recycle wreckage* if you’re short.

*first game only

The most annoying to waste for me was always magnetite. Idk how, but I always felt like I needed it for something.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Everything that's not very special seems to respawn, even most item fragments

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

Icon Of Sin posted:

I don’t think so, but there’s typically a ton of titanium floating around here and there so it shouldn’t really be an issue. Crack open random limestone outcrops and recycle wreckage* if you’re short.

*first game only

The most annoying to waste for me was always magnetite. Idk how, but I always felt like I needed it for something.

There is some scrap metal around in below zero, but not nearly as common. For titanium you can also scan fragments that you have already unlocked the blueprints for and that will get you some.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Wreckage is in the second game! Its a bit more focused is all. With the additional deconstruction tools in BZ it's not really possible to screw yourself out of something, unless you're building a billion torpedoes or something. Or just need Lead for something, since apparently it's the rarest element on 4546B.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I had a real problem finding lead in below zero game. Best bet is either going around with their new mineral finding item or build a scanner room and getting that set up to find you lead.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Just made a seamoth. Feels so wonderful riding in something that generates oxygen!

edit: also I guess small predators don't deal any damage at all to vehicles?

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 15:34 on May 18, 2021

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
drat, that was an absolute pleasure to finish. I would be very happy if they could keep making Subnautica games every 2.5 years, they've really got this formula nailed down. The only tedious parts I found were the specific above ground sections with the snow worms but I do hope they stay more underwater in future. Less tedium with resource gathering than the original, for sure too.

I'm glad I went into it blind because I really liked the Alan storyline. The Sam storyline could have been a bit more on rails. I ended up trying to solve that mystery imagining how Robin would go from clue to clue and ended up at the ending first and working backwards. In the end, I don't really have a clear sense of what her character was all about or whether her actions were justified. The side storylines were enjoyable and in general all the side characters were much more memorable and fleshed out in their PDA entries.

The graphics are cleaner, less plasticy and with less pop-in the biomes are more gorgeous to see and explore for the first time. I thought the soundtrack was more thematically relevant for each location than the original with much more interesting melodies.

The gameplay is pretty much the same. I really liked the Seatruck, definitely moreso than the Cyclops. It can do much more for it's size and it's less of a hassle to build since it's modular. I found almost no bugs compared to the original. Only one bug at the end (was unable to interact with Al-An's new body after building it) but luckily a reload fixed it.

All in all, I got ~19 hours start to finish in Below Zero for €16 compared with about 22-24 hours with Subnautica for €20. Definitely worth the value and whatever else they come out with will be a day 1 buy for me.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Zerilan posted:

Just made a seamoth. Feels so wonderful riding in something that generates oxygen!

edit: also I guess small predators don't deal any damage at all to vehicles?

I think they can do damage if they manage to hit your seamoth, but not very much. If you carry a repair tool with you on long expeditions you're pretty much immune to everything but leviathans.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

So I got to the greenhouse bit and picked up the two audio logs there. I was expecting more prompting on where to go next for that storyline, but don't think I got much. Should I just consult the Delta base map and head for whatever marked locations are on there that I haven't been to yet?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Wrr posted:

So I got to the greenhouse bit and picked up the two audio logs there. I was expecting more prompting on where to go next for that storyline, but don't think I got much. Should I just consult the Delta base map and head for whatever marked locations are on there that I haven't been to yet?

Yes, you can visit them in any order.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Wrr posted:

Yea the whole sister storyline is optional and the breadcrumbs more or less end there, it sends you to the lilly pad base, but I never felt that that base sent me somewhere, you have to pickup the above grounds bits entirely on your own. It's very unsatisfying imo. In terms of that storyline I could use some help too, I never did get clarity on how she died, she just fell. I was waiting to find out Alterra killed her or imprisoned her or something. I don't get how a genius space engineer just falls and dies, it seems very dull

The most useful thing in that greenhouse are the purple preston fruit. Growing those and peppers make a spicy fruit salad which afaik is the best food in the game.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Still find it real unsettling whenever I see a huge rear end serpent thing off in the distance but getting the Seamoth up and running got rid of a lot of the anxiety in the setting I had the first time playing. Oxygen not being as much of a non-stop death timer really helps.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

she didn't just fall, she got caught by security while trying to bomb the big kharaa leviathan and made the tunnel collapse on herself

it's not... presented the most clearly, because the logs say she succeeded and Alterra gave up after that because the tunnel was too much hassle to dig out, but it's all totally clear when you get there, and digging a hole being too difficult kinda clashes with Alterra's whole all-controlling Interstellar Umbrella Corp deal

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 18, 2021

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

she didn't just fall, she got caught by security while trying to bomb the big kharaa leviathan and made the tunnel collapse on herself

it's not... presented the most clearly, because it's suggested she succeeded and Alterra gave up after that because the tunnel was too much hassle to dig out, but it's all totally clear when you get there?

Interesting totally missed that bit. So why did she make the cure if she was going to bomb it? Seems dumb since Alterra has the tech to dig out a tunnel but curing it was the more permanent solution.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I'm gonna go with "they planned to have a more coherent ending but ran out of time". I think the idea was that she was gonna do both things just to be extra thorough, but hosed it up in an extremely improbable way that left everything 99% ready for you to just walk in there and press a button to finish the job

there's a fair few odds and ends in that cave that look to me like leftovers from some bigger plan for it, like a pretty obvious looking alternate entrance in the ice above the leviathan that you can't actually reach

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:24 on May 18, 2021

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Bedshaped posted:

In the end, I don't really have a clear sense of what her character was all about or whether her actions were justified.

You don't know if trying to stop reckless experimentation on the disease that's wiped out over a hundred billion was justified?

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Zesty posted:

You don't know if trying to stop reckless experimentation on the disease that's wiped out over a hundred billion was justified?

I think you mean learning how to stop a disease that's rampaging across the galaxy on the one world where it can't spread because the entire ocean is filled with anti-khara enzymes.

I know the anti-corporate trope is what you'd expect but the game doesn't really make it entirely clear cut imo.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Nukelear v.2 posted:

I think you mean learning how to stop a disease that's rampaging across the galaxy on the one world where it can't spread because the entire ocean is filled with anti-khara enzymes.

I know the anti-corporate trope is what you'd expect but the game doesn't really make it entirely clear cut imo.

the disease stopped rampaging across the galaxy millennia ago (not counting totally different looking zombie plagues from another game that never get mentioned in this one), it died out with every species it came in contact with, and the only experiments they mention doing are trying to make it way more lethal and unpredictable. It's pretty clear what they're up to

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 18, 2021

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Nukelear v.2 posted:

It totally does. Everything about both games is about how reckless Alterra is and this one is very clear about what they're doing is wrong. It's not even subtext. It's the foundation of the story.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Bedshaped posted:

With a freeform story like this they should have copied Outer Wilds and gone for that rumour map design. I don't like these personal diary logs that appear because they don't really fit with what I'm doing or thinking at any moment.

The logs confused me first few times, and they also had a tendency to pile up, walk into drop pod and suddenly you wrote 5 journal entries while something is trying to call you and you're trying to read something else.

Fallom posted:

- I'm pretty sure my nuclear reactor was bugged, because there's no way this is intentional. I built the reactor around 12-14 hours into my game and only dumped in one fuel rod (of which I had six thanks to wreck-spelunking), and that fuel rod is still not burned out 26 hours in.
And I have a filtration machine, power cell and battery chargers operating everytime I return to base, a scanner room, a jukebox, a fridge, a bunch of flood lights, of course the fabricator use, seatruck recharging in the moonpool...and my base's power just occasionally dipped to 2500/2700 but recharged up to capacity every time.
Yeah, I have three solar panels on the roof, but those had trouble even keeping up with recharging my seatruck while everything else in the base was running, and they do fuckall during the night.

I assume I'm playing slower than most people and I think I'd be pretty annoyed if at any point my nuclear rod needed to be replaced or even was visibly drained. It's the literal nuclear option when it comes to power and even in a videogame world where days are 20 minutes long, no way to spend enough time in this game to drain nuke rods I'd think.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

uXs posted:

I think there's a trick around this? At least I think it works like this, spoiling anyway, Scanner rooms don't have legs. Rooms built off of scanner rooms don't have legs. Start a base with a scanner room -> base has no legs.

I started a fresh subnautica run and can't find moon pool fragments to save my life. I did hear a new voice log, I saw a leviathan off in the distance and flashed my headlights a few times, my PDA piped up with "Uhhh.... are you sure this is worth it???"

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

the disease stopped rampaging across the galaxy millennia ago (not counting totally different looking zombie plagues from another game that never get mentioned in this one), it died out with every species it came in contact with, and the only experiments they mention doing are trying to make it way more lethal and unpredictable. It's pretty clear what they're up to

They straight up mention the exciting possibilities of it being used as a bio-weapon. No need for subtext, its right there in the text of the game.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Finally found a diamond, and have the laser cutter and propulsion gun, so guessing it's time to revisit all the wrecks I've been to. Thanks for suggestion on carrying beacons everywhere. It's been a bit of a drain on the copper ore but I basically have enough of them floating around the areas in proximity of the early biomes to be able to semi-map things out through relative distances.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Am I missing something or is there no explanation for Alterra pulling out? They don't strike me as the kind of people who give much of a gently caress about loss of life. Also, yeah, did Sam just die from a loving accident? She certainly didn't set off an explosion.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

I never quite got why there's no Alterra personal in the area any more, let alone why they seemed to have hauled rear end leaving so much stuff behind.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The sea monsters in this seem so much safer but I can't tell if that's me or the game, since in the original I was afraid of the freaking manatees assuming they were more poisonous and dangerous than they looked. I assume I haven't seen em all yet, but so far they all seem pretty threatless and also handily avoided by merely holding w.

Spiky shark is a total idiot that cartoon bites the water and don't seem to have good vision or lock-on ability, slow plus they'll run away after one smack of anything.

Brute shark is the same thing, dunno if they run away when attacked by never even had to. Even pre-seatruck I felt pretty comfortable mining for those early resources. I was more scared swimming the other direction where it was just freezy-fish and glacier spikes that ended up being pretty harmless too.

Squidshark isn't very nimble and is pretty easily foiled by running towards it and sliding a bit to the side, once your on it's side it's can't ever turn enough to getcha and maybe even loses track of you entirely? Any bit of geometry poking out will also basically provide more than ample protection.

Red Squidshark is the same exact thing except even weaker to "swim towards it." Trying to scan the thing was annoying, still didn't get it because I ran out of air and just moved on when I got it. Pretty narrow hitbox for scanning and then it slips away compared to your slow flipper speed, then catching back up means having to find the slippery hitbox again.

Definitely hoping there's more than this and that whatever it is, isn't just a bigger squidshark. I got a leviathan class warning when I was down in some purple crystal caves I forgot where I found and didn't have mining or crush depth yet to go much further, but didn't see the beast.

Will say I do love the new tripping-balls seahorses, I would really love for them to add that to an actually scary thing though. I get the idea of having them near potentially dangerous things, but a giant jelly or leviatahan or squidshark or crab equipped with the psychic siren call would be legitimately threatening.

Cool freeballin base, but wow, I really don't think I've ever noticed that the screen is framed by the goggles when you're just swimming around.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 18, 2021

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

I think we really need to see how Natural Selection and Subnautica come together to really make the moral call. Yes, I get that a lot of the characters in the game have expressed their distrust of Alterra, but the writers never actually seem to bring that distrust to some sort of satisfying explanation. What is the actual in game of evidence of what they did that is comically evil? I don't recall any datapads of what you're mentioning they're increasing lethality and infection so I'll definitely revisit some datapads, cause that would probably count.

Like if Subnautica is the prequel to NS, is it the result of Alterra getting a copy of Khara somewhere else and having those experiments go awry. Or is Khara mutating architects and other species into a Tyrannid style threat with Alterra holding them back, hampered by losing their only pure sample of the disease. Could see it going either way.

Nukelear v.2 fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 18, 2021

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

doesn't seem like anyone else needs an additional even more explicit game to clarify, possibly because the rest of us are not starting from the first principle that if you haven't ruled out the most remote theoretical possibility that a giant evil monopoly could eventually choose to do something good, that means it is impossible to form any judgement other that that they're good and should be allowed to do as they please

yes the game does acknowledge that it is theoretically possible they could do something positive with Kharaa, but they're not, and even the vastly more competent aliens who actually were studying Kharaa to cure it and were elaborately careful to contain it hosed up and near-murdered the whole planet; now these geniuses want to dig the doom plague back up to merchandise across the galaxy. You have to accord Alterra literally infinite assumption of benevolence and wisdom based on nothing but... they're a very large corporation? to presume that it'll end well, given what the game tells you

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 18, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Does Subnautica Below Zero have controller support?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Pretty much everything alterra just drips with exploitative capitalism.

There's a throwaway line when you first find a diamond in the original game that the equipment you use is running a tally of how many resources you find and will expect to be compensated for all the resources when you return.

If you read the letter that they send the protagonist in this one about her sister dying it ends with a line saying that the company is going to pursue her for the expenses of her sister's death.

I'm just using two examples from very early on in either game but there's a million just like it if you read the fluff.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Khanstant posted:

Definitely hoping there's more than this and that whatever it is, isn't just a bigger squidshark. I got a leviathan class warning when I was down in some purple crystal caves I forgot where I found and didn't have mining or crush depth yet to go much further, but didn't see the beast.

This one is probably the most 'unique' and loves sneaking behind you and destroying any vehicles you leave parked anywhere. It's also probably the coolest looking.

Eifert Posting posted:

I'm just using two examples from very early on in either game but there's a million just like it if you read the fluff.

The couple in the first game where an Alterran breaks up with her girlfriend by removing visitation time from their relationship contract.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Tonight I'm wrapping up base design and I'm going to scan that mother fucker. Plan is to just take the prawn down there so when I inevitably die I can use the truck to pick it up.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Zesty posted:

take out 'reckless' and this is basically a microbiologist's job description.

Is Alterra supposed to be like evil because everything I remember is that they're just a bunch of corporate douches.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Laughing Zealot posted:

I never quite got why there's no Alterra personal in the area any more, let alone why they seemed to have hauled rear end leaving so much stuff behind.

Seems pretty obvious to me that they all died in seaglider, seatrucking, and snowfox accidents.

Or maybe they all froze to death since there was only a single winter coat on the entire planet.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Nukelear v.2 posted:

I think we really need to see how Natural Selection and Subnautica come together to really make the moral call. Yes, I get that a lot of the characters in the game have expressed their distrust of Alterra, but the writers never actually seem to bring that distrust to some sort of satisfying explanation. What is the actual in game of evidence of what they did that is comically evil? I don't recall any datapads of what you're mentioning they're increasing lethality and infection so I'll definitely revisit some datapads, cause that would probably count.

Like if Subnautica is the prequel to NS, is it the result of Alterra getting a copy of Khara somewhere else and having those experiments go awry. Or is Khara mutating architects and other species into a Tyrannid style threat with Alterra holding them back, hampered by losing their only pure sample of the disease. Could see it going either way.

??? The entire setting is predicated on the pervasive comically evil space-capitalism that has replaced governments. It's fundamentally a dystopia even before you find specific things like plans for bioweapons or any of the billion examples of inhumane treatment of people and workers. Does Alterra need to put on a tophat and twirl their mustache while tying an innocent person to railroad tracks for you to register evil? Do you just have a really high threshold for evil that only starts at "genetically altering a species to be a scifi army threat?"

Just weird given how many already evil companies exist in the mundane world but then the hyperevil dystopia version is "what, this is supposed to be evil, I thought it was just corporate" and there's somehow how no connection made?

On the other hand, Hardspace Shipbreaker has essentially the same kind of evil corpogov thing going on but they are even less subtle about it and it treally turned me off. In Subnautica I know every time I gather something, build something, or discover stuff others have made, it's dooming myself and finding the remains of others doomed before -- but they don't crack a joke about it every minute or have satirical advertising punctuating the darkness all over. I wonder if in that thread people struggle to see the endemic evil of the setting too.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 18, 2021

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Below zero never actually happened, because my space janitor cured the virus but never turned off the death laser. He is kicking his feet up on an alien beach sipping on a bladder fish martini and laughing about the fact that altera could have had iron battery technology and all the minerals they could ever want if there was literally any incentive for him to go back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Khanstant posted:

??? The entire setting is predicated on the pervasive comically evil space-capitalism that has replaced governments. It's fundamentally a dystopia even before you find specific things like plans for bioweapons or any of the billion examples of inhumane treatment of people and workers. Does Alterra need to put on a tophat and twirl their mustache while tying an innocent person to railroad tracks for you to register evil? Do you just have a really high threshold for evil that only starts at "genetically altering a species to be a scifi army threat?"

Just weird given how many already evil companies exist in the mundane world but then the hyperevil dystopia version is "what, this is supposed to be evil, I thought it was just corporate" and there's somehow how no connection made?

On the other hand, Hardspace Shipbreaker has essentially the same kind of evil corpogov thing going on but they are even less subtle about it and it treally turned me off. In Subnautica I know every time I gather something, build something, or discover stuff others have made, it's dooming myself and finding the remains of others doomed before -- but they don't crack a joke about it every minute or have satirical advertising punctuating the darkness all over. I wonder if in that thread people struggle to see the endemic evil of the setting too.

someone pointed out that for all its grim dystopia cyperpunk Union Pacific aesthetic the Hardspace corporation is absurdly generous compared to any real-world conglomerate, what with giving you infinite fresh ships to work on without charging some kind of heinous per-unit fee or penalizing you for leaving the worthless parts behind, and reincarnating dead employees (for only $150k! I couldn't get an organ replaced let alone a whole body for $150k!) instead of just moving on to the next desperate sucker and all, and now that's all I can think about when playing it

Eifert Posting posted:

Below zero never actually happened, because my space janitor cured the virus but never turned off the death laser. He is kicking his feet up on an alien beach sipping on a bladder fish martini and laughing about the fact that altera could have had iron battery technology and all the minerals they could ever want if there was literally any incentive for him to go back.

same tbqh

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 18, 2021