Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
It looks like the AM4 bracket is still backordered from like april 30th on scan which is holding my order back, I would've tried to request a free one from noctua but I can't find the invoice for my D15S. I might just buy another one as it looks like all the modern ones are am4 compatible anyway and I'm probably going to give my x99 cpu/board to a friend so they might as well have the cooler too.

Probably don't need the D15S version either now as the ryzen boards only have the ram on the right hand side now? Also needed it because the cpu was closer to the pcie slot on the old mATX board which I guess won't be a problem on a normal ATX one

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Gwaihir posted:

The FT-02 is still probably my favorite case of all time, I REALLY wish silverstone had kept refreshing that style.
Yeah that's the case I was referring to, I updated the front ports for modern mobo, type c. (Someday I'll get a smaller motherboard)

Kibner posted:

Yeah, the RV05 and FT02 use that layout. They are not as good for GPU cooling as some modern cases but still the best or among the best CPU cooling, iirc. I'm using an FT02 right now but am wanting to switch to a O11-Mini once I can actually get GPUs again.
I snagged a 3080 founders 111 days after launch, it's a kind of blower so.. all my air pretty much goes from the bottom to the top.

At least one other goon had the same setup and said it was fine, it does kinda suck a little heat off the CPU though the GPU, but that just ends up leaving them the same temps.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Yeah that's the case I was referring to, I updated the front ports for modern mobo, type c. (Someday I'll get a smaller motherboard)

I snagged a 3080 founders 111 days after launch, it's a kind of blower so.. all my air pretty much goes from the bottom to the top.

At least one other goon had the same setup and said it was fine, it does kinda suck a little heat off the CPU though the GPU, but that just ends up leaving them the same temps.

Don't forget that they also offer upgraded fans for that case now. Now with PWM, better bearings for much, much longer lifespan, better static pressure, and a tad quieter than the AP181 the case normally comes with: https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=847&bno=55&tb=101&area=en

e: the case really does need an update where it comes with those AP183 fans, the updated front panel connector, a bit better cable management, and possibly greater support for water cooling. It is an absolutely fantastic case if you have the room for its ginormous size. Once I can rebuild in that O11 mini, I will use this case to create a home server. Combining the existing drive bay and adding a bunch of drive bay adapters on the front will let me hold something like 14-16 hdd's. Which is more than enough.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 15, 2021

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Paul MaudDib posted:

AMD may be moving the majority of their production to IO dies based on TSMC 6nm soon, but some vendors will not want to re-qualify the parts even with a "shouldn't affect anything" change like swapping the IO die. You may think it behaves exactly the same but it'll be a slightly different microcode with a new quirk, slightly different behavior at thermal extremes, etc.

The IO/unCore chiplet doesn't gain a whole lot of speed/efficiency from going to a smaller process. Driving the memory bus and pci-e channels apparently works better with larger transistors with different dopants. Going from 12nm to 7nm for the IO die would be like a 10% thermal reduction or something super marginal. And in return you now need the millions of dollars worth of 7nm masks, vs the 10-15% cost for 12nm masks.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

The IO/unCore chiplet doesn't gain a whole lot of speed/efficiency from going to a smaller process. Driving the memory bus and pci-e channels apparently works better with larger transistors with different dopants. Going from 12nm to 7nm for the IO die would be like a 10% thermal reduction or something super marginal. And in return you now need the millions of dollars worth of 7nm masks, vs the 10-15% cost for 12nm masks.

https://twitter.com/Broly_X1/status/1380174764858167300

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ only a reporter for the newspaper of life

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I got to say I'm amazed that I could just plug my SSD from an old intel system into a modern ryzen system, and windows takes a few minutes longer to boot because it is updating drivers but then just works.

Is there anything I should clean / uninstall / manually install when going from an intel board to an AMD board?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Ika posted:

I got to say I'm amazed that I could just plug my SSD from an old intel system into a modern ryzen system, and windows takes a few minutes longer to boot because it is updating drivers but then just works.

Is there anything I should clean / uninstall / manually install when going from an intel board to an AMD board?

honestly, from observation at some point in the next week to month you're going to notice some particularly annoying behaviour (for me it was inexplicable crashes in Apex) that you will find intolerable, eventually flatten and reinstall fresh and realize it fixes it completely.

it works, you might be fortunate in not getting it, but in every instance (myself included) i know of someone doing this eventually they bit the bullet and whipped up a fresh install.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I haven’t had to reinstall windows in years

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
Me neither... I'm running Ubuntu Linux!

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

CoolCab posted:

honestly, from observation at some point in the next week to month you're going to notice some particularly annoying behaviour (for me it was inexplicable crashes in Apex) that you will find intolerable, eventually flatten and reinstall fresh and realize it fixes it completely.

it works, you might be fortunate in not getting it, but in every instance (myself included) i know of someone doing this eventually they bit the bullet and whipped up a fresh install.

Long term I probably will end up doing that. Before I do I want to get my old cpu/board running again, so I have access to anything I need. I needa pick up a second PSU for that. And I also want to start moving stuff to containers as much as is feasible, like SVN server.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

CoolCab posted:

Didn't happen to me on all my home PCs. Went from Intel 8700k to 3900x and all is well and happy. Of course I removed all the intel drivers..

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Yea I did that a couple of years ago, changed mobo/cpu from intel to amd and it still booted to windows. I was quite surprised that it worked at all, I was expecting it to perform an occult ritual or something. I guess the software is much better these days and basically just doesn't load drivers at all if it can't find their hardware anymore.

Of course I still did a reformat later that day, mentally I felt I needed a clean install to accompany such a major hardware change, start afresh and all. I didn't like the idea of old bloated drivers and registry entries floating around in there

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

WhyteRyce posted:

I haven’t had to reinstall windows in years

while the whole "every major update overwrites a bunch of Windows settings" thing is super annoying, I guess it seems to work relatively well at keeping things clean.

I just had to wipe and reinstall to fix some weird BSODs I was getting in some games but that's the only time I've ever been forced to reinstall windows 10 since it came out

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I've been having some issues with explorer leaking GDI objects, but that happened before the upgrade, seems to happen on multiple systems, and also affects colleagues, so I doubt reinstalling will fix it. Someday I'll dump the actual leaked objects, maybe I can narrow down the cause.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Ika posted:

Yeah. The entire thing, nuke and pave. That's not specific to moving from one system to another, that's just my experience that updating major versions is never as clean as a fresh nuke and pave.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I couldn't get Windows to boot properly moving from a Ryzen 3100 to an i5-10400, so nuke-and-pave it was

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Would they use 12nm for chipsets?

they don't its the I/O dies that are 12nm, chiplets are all tsmc.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

wargames posted:

they don't its the I/O dies that are 12nm, chiplets are all tsmc.

Chipset != chiplet

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I got sick of waiting around for a 5950x to buy, so I got a 5600x. I'll spend the diff on a v card, but holy moley...you can't even buy a new psu anymore these days. I'm not kidding. poo poo's really weird.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

B-1.1.7 Bomber posted:

I got sick of waiting around for a 5950x to buy, so I got a 5600x. I'll spend the diff on a v card, but holy moley...you can't even buy a new psu anymore these days. I'm not kidding. poo poo's really weird.
Oh no! :mad:

A PSU is the one thing I need and keep forgetting to buy.

Actually if I got 2 and another case I'd have 2 computers to mess with.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Oh no! :mad:

A PSU is the one thing I need and keep forgetting to buy.

If you're looking for a highly-efficient 1000+ watt psu it's ugly. I'm not sure what mid-range availability is like. Good luck!

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

650-850w PSU availability is fine. Maybe not the cheapest it's ever been, but you can buy good models without too much trouble.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
a thousand watts seems pretty edge case to me unless you are doing a hardcore multi GPU workstation

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

a thousand watts seems pretty edge case to me unless you are doing a hardcore multi GPU workstation

And those people probably have a case that supports two power supplies, which may be the better option.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Paul MaudDib posted:

while the whole "every major update overwrites a bunch of Windows settings" thing is super annoying, I guess it seems to work relatively well at keeping things clean.

I just had to wipe and reinstall to fix some weird BSODs I was getting in some games but that's the only time I've ever been forced to reinstall windows 10 since it came out

"We noticed that you had other poo poo installed, and since we're not sure if you wanted that, we set all the app defaults back to Edge. You're welcome."

Thanks Windows update. Thanks a ton.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Helter Skelter posted:

Chipset != chiplet

when i see chipset i think of the think on the motherboard. Computers are weird and bad, and making sand think was a mistake.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

wargames posted:

Computers are weird and bad, and making sand think was a mistake.

I frequently think of the Cloud-to-Butt extension, and want to write something similar that changes all instances of "AI" to "clever programming".

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I do this so I can run a fairly beefy system mostly fanless. I traded a 280X to a miner in 2014 for my current SS-1050XM2 PSU and ran it for seven years. Planning a replacement soon just due to it being out of warranty, but I could probably get ten+ years out of it if I wanted. I could go with a good 850W unit instead but I've gotten used to the low noise.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

"We noticed that you had other poo poo installed, and since we're not sure if you wanted that, we set all the app defaults back to Edge. You're welcome."

Thanks Windows update. Thanks a ton.

It’s very annoying having that welcome to windows screen with options pop up on me again after a major update even though I swore I unchecked every option to kill that, but also way less annoying than having to do a clean install to fix or troubleshoot random poo poo

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

WhyteRyce posted:

It’s very annoying having that welcome to windows screen with options pop up on me again after a major update even though I swore I unchecked every option to kill that, but also way less annoying than having to do a clean install to fix or troubleshoot random poo poo

won't you please please finally create a microsoft account? or just click the "I want an inferior experience and I kick puppies in my spare time" button yet again, I guess...

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

future ghost posted:

I do this so I can run a fairly beefy system mostly fanless. I traded a 280X to a miner in 2014 for my current SS-1050XM2 PSU and ran it for seven years. Planning a replacement soon just due to it being out of warranty, but I could probably get ten+ years out of it if I wanted. I could go with a good 850W unit instead but I've gotten used to the low noise.

Most PSUs have a fanless mode, and by the time the PSU fan kicks on, you probably won't hear it above the CPU/GPU fan once those start using more power.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

a 3090 can suck down 400 watts, and an i9-11900K can do 300, so a 1000W PSU would be appropriate just to keep a healthy margin

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
evga 3090 kingpin can actually hit 520 watts
those are basically nonexistent though

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

a 3090 can suck down 400 watts, and an i9-11900K can do 300, so a 1000W PSU would be appropriate just to keep a healthy margin

yeah but who is buying an 11900k

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Inept posted:

yeah but who is buying an 11900k

Zen3 will happily pull 250w+ with PBO/AutoOC on, too, which I confirmed with Cinebench and a killawatt. And then there are the spikes. With an 850w Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium and 3090, I've had a few spikes while loading maps in PoE that were enough to kick in OCP.

Considering PBO/AutoOC did basically jack poo poo for most gaming workloads, I went ahead and turned em off anyway. ha.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Cygni posted:

Zen3 will happily pull 250w+ with PBO/AutoOC on, too, which I confirmed with Cinebench and a killawatt. And then there are the spikes. With an 850w Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium and 3090, I've had a few spikes while loading maps in PoE that were enough to kick in OCP.

Considering PBO/AutoOC did basically jack poo poo for most gaming workloads, I went ahead and turned em off anyway. ha.

I think you are also supposed to use the curve optimizer with all that to reach sane power levels.

When you use a decent watercooling solution, the CPU never hits the thermal threshold and eats power like no tomorrow.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
I updated the bios on my 5800x and msi X570 based board to try and fix the usb issues. The update went fine but now Ryzen master shows my temp as 0C and PPT as 0W.

CPUID HWMonitor shows a temp but when I ran Cinebench R23 my max temp was only 73 where previously it was like 87C. I have no idea what is going on, the score was about the same.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

I think my dad has like a 1300 watt, way overkill.

I have a 3700x and a Nvidia FE 3800, the most load my UPS ever reported under 2 benchmark loads was 580 watt I believe. (With an overpriced OC mobo)

My Silverstone SFX 800 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply is almost 10 year old.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Shemp the Stooge posted:

I updated the bios on my 5800x and msi X570 based board to try and fix the usb issues. The update went fine but now Ryzen master shows my temp as 0C and PPT as 0W.

CPUID HWMonitor shows a temp but when I ran Cinebench R23 my max temp was only 73 where previously it was like 87C. I have no idea what is going on, the score was about the same.

Do you have multiple programs running which try to read the sensor data? Maybe close everything in the background before starting HWMonitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daeus
Nov 17, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

I couldn't get Windows to boot properly moving from a Ryzen 3100 to an i5-10400, so nuke-and-pave it was

Are many folks having this experience? I am going to be in this boat soon and wasn't sure how common this kind of error when switching over was