Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Being from Sweden wouldn’t make you very familiar with Viking like being from Italy wouldn’t make you very familiar with the Romans:. So no I will not entertain that idea because it’s really dumb

You'd be hard pressed just to get through the education system without learning a lot about Old Norse culture, language and religion. It's a significant portion of the curriculum. Hell, they even forced us to read runes here in Norway.

Theme parks, museums and historic sites further add to this.

There's state sponsored funds for national romantic content in media too. That's bound to play a part in all the viking themed games from the region. If your game teaches the world about your country in some way, it gets support. Funcom used to claim most of that pie over here until more indie devs came around. This is also why every Mission Impossible from now on will be Tom Cruise freezing his nuts off in the middle of snowy nowhere.

It wouldn't surprise me if funds like that are a thing in Sweden too, though their movie and games industries are healthier than ours so it's hard to say.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Imagine being such a bitch that you can't even red fúþark and your language isn't basically the same as it was 800 years ago

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Loving the character creator.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

TorakFade posted:

I've been playing Halfdan in the viking age start and, uh, am I right in thinking that as long as I have the money, I should field a full stack of Varangian Veterans? Their stats look :eyepop:

Yup. They're stupidly good and when raise only man at arms comes in the next patch they'll be all the much better.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005
I recently picked this game back up and I am trying an all farmland demense gimmick run by playing as the king of Pala in Bengal. The problem is, I have only played as Pagans, Christians, or Muslims before, and am having a real tough time expanding like I did with them. The only way I can think of expanding any time soon is:

1. Picking the Diplomat focus to snipe some smaller neighbors.
2. Fabricate claims until I have 3 holy sites
3. Breed some kind of great scholar and create a new branch of super aggressive Buddhists.

Am I missing any other obvious avenues for rapid expansion?

I know you can occasionally get a claimaint to show up in your court, but that seems really rng based. I also know I can try playing the marriage game, but trying to murder all my brides family seems really psychotic and difficult as well.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Playing the marriage game works without murders, you just wait a generation until your dynasts have claims and then go press them.

However there are more direct ways to go about it, most notably reforming your religion into having the Warmonger or Pursuit of Power tenet, having a Clan government, or using Sanctioned Loopholes in the Scholar tree to just buy shitloads of claims with piety.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

BigRoman posted:

I recently picked this game back up and I am trying an all farmland demense gimmick run by playing as the king of Pala in Bengal. The problem is, I have only played as Pagans, Christians, or Muslims before, and am having a real tough time expanding like I did with them. The only way I can think of expanding any time soon is:

1. Picking the Diplomat focus to snipe some smaller neighbors.
2. Fabricate claims until I have 3 holy sites
3. Breed some kind of great scholar and create a new branch of super aggressive Buddhists.

Am I missing any other obvious avenues for rapid expansion?

I know you can occasionally get a claimaint to show up in your court, but that seems really rng based. I also know I can try playing the marriage game, but trying to murder all my brides family seems really psychotic and difficult as well.

Regarding 2, are you aiming for three holy sites for any reason in particular? If you have a reformed faith you don't need three holy sites to create a new faith (and get a conquest CB or something).

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Tried out the Varangian Adventure CB earlier, and I'm not really sure I see the point. I had figured maybe at least my landed family would stay behind so I had a connection in Scandinavia, but no, my entire close family uprooted and left.
Then, when I had conquered Corsica and Sardinia, the best choice seemed to be the unique "Embrace local culture and religion" decision, which ended up making my character feel like someone I could have just as well have just started as there.

But hey, at least I kept the ability to raise runestones, and my character got the adventurer trait.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Doesn't Varangian Adventure also work for non-independent rulers? I suppose it's more about being on the receiving end of it, or being the head of the dynasty and discovering that you now have a cadet branch in another part of the world.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

In my current multiplayer game we started out in Sweden with the plan being to move somewhere else and form an empire together with elective inheritance so we could take turns ruling it. Originally we were aiming for Britain but that got a bit crowded and we both had alliances with the Danelaw so we ended up in Italy instead me forming Sicily and him taking Croatia eventually ending up with me as emperor of Italia and him as by far the most powerful vassal leaving me essentially immune to rebellion (unless he decides to betray me)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

FreudianSlippers posted:

In my current multiplayer game we started out in Sweden with the plan being to move somewhere else and form an empire together with elective inheritance so we could take turns ruling it. Originally we were aiming for Britain but that got a bit crowded and we both had alliances with the Danelaw so we ended up in Italy instead me forming Sicily and him taking Croatia eventually ending up with me as emperor of Italia and him as by far the most powerful vassal leaving me essentially immune to rebellion (unless he decides to betray me)

Sounds like you will be perfectly fine

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

Magil Zeal posted:

Regarding 2, are you aiming for three holy sites for any reason in particular? If you have a reformed faith you don't need three holy sites to create a new faith (and get a conquest CB or something).

Ah, I didn't know that. I thought you needed three sites if you wanted to create a new branch, not just if you wanted to reform. That's good news, all I need a is a really pious young ruler...

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Broken Cog posted:

Tried out the Varangian Adventure CB earlier, and I'm not really sure I see the point. I had figured maybe at least my landed family would stay behind so I had a connection in Scandinavia, but no, my entire close family uprooted and left.
Then, when I had conquered Corsica and Sardinia, the best choice seemed to be the unique "Embrace local culture and religion" decision, which ended up making my character feel like someone I could have just as well have just started as there.

But hey, at least I kept the ability to raise runestones, and my character got the adventurer trait.

Wait until 200 years, and then press the grand sacrifice button. You know it's a bad idea, but you have no comprehension how bad and stupid an idea it is. It's magical. :allears:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

What I like is use it to conquer a duchy somewhere, culture convert it to Norse, and then move on somewhere else. The new rulers generated when you move on will have the culture of the provinces you left behind, which means you'll have a bunch of new Norse cultured rulers out there causing their own chaos (I always have it set to apocalyptic regardless of where I'm playing).

When I do decide to settle somewhere I don't embrace the local culture though, since culture converting provinces is so fast and easy. I might convert to the local religion though, especially if I end up in Africa or Asia.

ilitarist posted:

Doesn't Varangian Adventure also work for non-independent rulers? I suppose it's more about being on the receiving end of it, or being the head of the dynasty and discovering that you now have a cadet branch in another part of the world.

No, independent only. It would be great if you could use it as a vassal though.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah that's dumb that it doesn't work as a vassal. Just have all the former lands stay under the old ruler, or even just give them the titles outright.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
New Dev Diary's out: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ck3-dev-diary-60-the-cost-of-warfare.1474533/

Some interesting balance changes.
1) Dynamic Mercenary Costs. A strong incentive to play tall, imo-- the amount of mercs you can field late-game is frankly absurd
2) Dynamic Garrisons. A no-brainer, I think.
3) Factions update. An update people wanted but I think has the potential to be really, really unfun. It looks like each faction you have reduces the military threshold by -5 or so. So if you have a bunch of tiny one-person factions, they'll rebel regardless of your military power.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

scaterry posted:

3) Factions update. An update people wanted but I think has the potential to be really, really unfun. It looks like each faction you have reduces the military threshold by -5 or so. So if you have a bunch of tiny one-person factions, they'll rebel regardless of your military power.

That would be awful. Although maybe more beatable... Hmm.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
The divdiary says: If a faction is threatening you, or is already at war with a ruler, it will be easier for another faction to push their demands.

I understand "threatening" as "powerful enough to send ultimatum". And you see on the screenshot that once a faction declares war Existing Factions penalty increases dramatically. So it seems this penalty is sum of threatening and fighting factions. The intent is for several factions to jump on you at the same time, giving you time to succeding to demands of one of them so that others become content.

Also would be nice for some sort of "Agree to demands" option for faction even without an ultimatum.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

scaterry posted:

New Dev Diary's out: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ck3-dev-diary-60-the-cost-of-warfare.1474533/

Some interesting balance changes.
1) Dynamic Mercenary Costs. A strong incentive to play tall, imo-- the amount of mercs you can field late-game is frankly absurd
2) Dynamic Garrisons. A no-brainer, I think.

I am astonished that 2) wasn't already in the game, honestly (pretty sure it was in 2). Dynamic mercenary costs look cool (assuming it doesn't make it any easier for the Pope to hire Endless Mercs than it already is), and the faction change could be. I guess that making them a bit smarter (ie, only reducing the threshold for additional factions that are actually relevant) had too much performance impact?

I guess if there are actually enough separate factions in your country to drop the threshold that low, the resulting cascade civil war would at least be interestingly chaotic. I'm having flashbacks to CK2 Byzantium.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
god not having to re-siege a province for years because my army arrived two days late is going to be a godsend

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

scaterry posted:

You see an annoyance, I see constant free revocations.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Big fan of all of those. I agree that the garrison depletion absolutely should have been in the game at launch, since CK2 had it.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

These honestly seems like great changes.

Mercenary Cost - Considering that I literally hire every mercenary company in the world late game just so no one else can, this change is spot on. Also being able to hire mercenaries cheaper in desperate small-scale situations without crippling yourself forever financially is definitely an incentive to try riskier starts and focus more on tall play. I like it.

Garrisons - A good change, making war torn territories easier to take back gives more incentive for keeping your own lands peaceful and unoccupied, and rewards responding quickly to your land being sieged down if you get there before the garrison refills as opposed to now where there's no reason not to just wait until whenever it's convenient to un-siege it because it's gonna take a stupid year anyway. This is good.

Faction Synchronization - Seems like this could be a great change, and a very sensible one. Hopefully this will go a ways to making keeping a big realm together harder, which is something the player is much better than the Ai at an contributes a lot to the feeling of the game becoming impossible to lose at a certain point. Might also make those faction happiness perk trees that I never use worth looking at if that's a goal.

Or, alternatively....

Broken Cog posted:

constant free revocations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'm worried that Garrisons will just mean that all these perpetual internal wars (which you could forbid in ck2, right?) will leave everything outside of your personal domain permanently crippled.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Serephina posted:

I'm worried that Garrisons will just mean that all these perpetual internal wars (which you could forbid in ck2, right?) will leave everything outside of your personal domain permanently crippled.

You can mitigate them a lot with higher crown authority and you can right click and demand end to vassal war, although it doesn't always work.

But yeah it's a valid concern, and a reason to try to keep your realm more stable, which I think is a good thing.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

i wish i could just sit my vassals down and tell them "i will never let you be more than whatever rank i have decided to bestow upon but you can sit in your castle, eat, drink, and get rich if you never raise your armies"

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Nah, even with max authority every duke I have is constantly getting overthrown or dealing with their own factions etc. I can't tell the counts to leave their lieges alone. There's not a lot of ways to stabilize that, unless I start murdering all extra heirs for every single vassal or something equally impractical.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

being able to join vassals non-peasant wars would be nice

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i wish i could just sit my vassals down and tell them "i will never let you be more than whatever rank i have decided to bestow upon but you can sit in your castle, eat, drink, and get rich if you never raise your armies"

It's called "having a stable of tutors with Content/other nice guy traits and using them to educate your vassals' heirs", I guess? I've never bothered doing this because power-hungry vassals are the most interesting thing in the game past a certain point and also pruning them when they get too uppity and think they can take me helps clean up internal bordergore, but it should work at least semi-reliably, the unpredictability of childhood personality events aside.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Dallan Invictus posted:

It's called "having a stable of tutors with Content/other nice guy traits and using them to educate your vassals' heirs", I guess? I've never bothered doing this because power-hungry vassals are the most interesting thing in the game past a certain point and also pruning them when they get too uppity and think they can take me helps clean up internal bordergore, but it should work at least semi-reliably, the unpredictability of childhood personality events aside.

You can choose how your vassals heirs get educated?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

VostokProgram posted:

You can choose how your vassals heirs get educated?

You can offer wardship of their kids, which is also a way to culture/religion convert them to yours.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Is there any way via mods/console commands/anything else to replace the buildings that have been built in vassals' lands?

I'm sick of conquered territory having just truly awful builds. Even if I use the console to take the city/temple from a current holder it just auto generates a new holder and I can't directly replace the buildings.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Canopus250 posted:

Is there any way via mods/console commands/anything else to replace the buildings that have been built in vassals' lands?

I'm sick of conquered territory having just truly awful builds. Even if I use the console to take the city/temple from a current holder it just auto generates a new holder and I can't directly replace the buildings.

Even modders are frustrated with this change, so you're not alone. :/

You should be able to retract the title if its a city, then build what you want. If it's a temple you need to be a lay clergy religion to retract it. I'm not sure why it's auto-generating holders-- do you own the county and barony title?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah cities you can just revoke (there's no tyranny for baronies), do whatever replacement you want, and then re-grant to a low noble. It's more of an attention tax than anything.

For temples there's nothing you can do unless you have the Lay Clergy doctrine, in which case you can handle them exactly like cities. Theocratic temples and governments are honestly so god damned frustrating in this game, both for the simple stuff you can't do like change the buildings they've built, or the complex stuff that absolutely needs to be present like Investiture Crises.

It's weird right now, Theocratic Vassals are actually the single best kind you can get, since they pay you lots while being otherwise completely inert.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Ah, for some reason consoling the cities was loving it up versus just doing it manually. Thanks for the pointers and it's just one of 50 odd things I'm noticing that irk me on my first full playthrough.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Dallan Invictus posted:

I am astonished that 2) wasn't already in the game, honestly (pretty sure it was in 2). Dynamic mercenary costs look cool (assuming it doesn't make it any easier for the Pope to hire Endless Mercs than it already is),
It would pretty much have to make it harder regardless of how they do it, since the Pope is a king level title. If they do it by the amount of gold owned, it would hurt the Pope more, but if they just look at titles, he's always holding at least one kingdom, and sometimes two.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

They're also planning for realm size to be a factor, though, and while the Pope occasionally hulks out he usually doesn't conquer A Ton?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

my experiences so far have been that the pope sits in the papal states the whole game and sometimes gets owned by islamic invaders

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Yeah I think the biggest I've ever seen the pope get is like five counties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone tried vassalizing the pope, give him like the entirety of the Italian peninsula, release him and let him run amock?