Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

The Moon Monster posted:

I wish I could buy 2 or 3 for like $10 each to try my hand at emulating that style, shame that's not the business model.

They are showing up as singletons on BGG and FB buy/sell/trade groups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

djfooboo posted:

They are showing up as singletons on BGG and FB buy/sell/trade groups.

Hmm, I'll have to check that out when this one ends up releasing. I have a feeling Nightcrawler and Doctor Doom will be in high demand, though...

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

idk if this counts as :filez: but the entire "first season" of Marvel United from the first kickstarter's expansions is available on Tabletop Simulator as a very well-scripted version. I actually think it's the same custom version the devs have used in play sessions with youtubers. So if you were curious about how it plays with the more complex game modes like Green Goblin, Secret Identity mode, Infinity War, Sinister Six etc etc the option is there.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Less than a day to go on HEXplore it 4 Castlevania edition. I put in for the full volume IV. I thought about grabbing all the rest but my friend has an older printing of vol I and I grabbed the Forests base game off amazon and I think that's enough for us for now.

Mouzer
May 9, 2006
Feed the fish!

Does anyone have any opinions about Stationfall? just at a quick glance, it looks like there is a lot happening on the board....

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/455725875/stationfall?ref=discovery_category

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Mouzer posted:

Does anyone have any opinions about Stationfall? just at a quick glance, it looks like there is a lot happening on the board....

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/455725875/stationfall?ref=discovery_category

The KS bonus is $5 off MSRP, with $20us shipping. Nothing is really kickstarter-only, so just based on that it's a hard 'wait' for me.

Anyways, it's basically SS13: The Board Game. Wacky hijinx ensue while the players try to get their secret objectives done.

It seems like a ton of front loaded information though. Something like two dozen possible characters, of which there are 12(?) per game, each having unique powers and such. Plus every room has special actions. It seems like a lot.

It's been getting good reviews from some people, but it seems like you need dedicated boardgame players to play this odd game.

It's also from Ion Games, which employees Phil Eklund, so buying this is helping support him, in case you'd rather not do that

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Looks like kemet just shipped! Looking forward to finally trying this game out and getting another war game I never get to play

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
What's the vibe on "My Father's Work"? I don't like that it's essentially buy now or never. I may back it under the assumption that I can offload it later if it's meh.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
It looks interesting enough to back to me. The core gameplay seems pretty standard worker placement-y but it seems like the app/narrative choice stuff can make for very different sessions within the same scenario, let alone a different one and there are three. I am concerned that it may be a touch overproduced and as with any app game, that the app might end up not being supported long term. I think the level of production is probably why it's not going to retail?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

armorer posted:

What's the vibe on "My Father's Work"? I don't like that it's essentially buy now or never. I may back it under the assumption that I can offload it later if it's meh.

There's something kind of hidden in there that it would be on the Renegade store but not at actual retail outlets but that may just be the overrun of this printing. I don't know.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
drat it, I guess I got distracted and didn't finish my checkout for Keyper at Sea.

Oh well, haven't played the first one and they'll probably offer it again at some point.

Edit: Nevermind, sent them a message and Richard let me on the provisional list via PayPal. Boss.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 12, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

malkav11 posted:

It looks interesting enough to back to me. The core gameplay seems pretty standard worker placement-y but it seems like the app/narrative choice stuff can make for very different sessions within the same scenario, let alone a different one and there are three. I am concerned that it may be a touch overproduced and as with any app game, that the app might end up not being supported long term. I think the level of production is probably why it's not going to retail?

They've said in the FAQ that if they for any reason end support of the app, they will release the code so that community updates can continue.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Jedit posted:

They've said in the FAQ that if they for any reason end support of the app, they will release the code so that community updates can continue.

Cool, that's the right call. But I think it's still worth being concerned about - plans like that don't always happen, and community updates don't necessarily either.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Not a game per se, but some artists I follow on twitter have put out a collaborative art book called Burzok's Mercenary Handbook.

quote:

Burzok's Mercenary Handbook is a collaborative art book produced by four friends, working together to create a new original sci-fi universe and populating it with unique and interesting characters along the way. Taking a form inspired by role-playing game monster bestiaries and classic sci-fi visual dictionaries, Burzok's Mercenary Handbook is a 100 page tome collecting over 20 full-color illustrated character designs and fleshing out their world with several dozen pages of stories, fragmentary records, and personal biographies.

I've actually commissioned art from one of the people working on this for a project of my own (Ollie Schirmacher) and all of the artists on this project do really neat work that's got a more colorful, non-traditional look (I hate to use the word "gonzo" because it's so often overused) that fits in well with a lot of sci-fi/sci-fantasy stuff. The project's already funded, so at this point it's just working towards very reasonable stretch goals which add a few more illustrations to the book apiece.

Hackjack
Apr 1, 2013
What’s do people think of Hoplomachus?

Got pretty deep into solo and co-op games during the pandemic, and looking for new experiences. I think this is the first high production value solo dedicated game I’ve heard of, so seems ambitious. Does the game have enough depth for significant replay value?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hackjack posted:

Got pretty deep into solo and co-op games during the pandemic, and looking for new experiences. I think this is the first high production value solo dedicated game I’ve heard of, so seems ambitious. Does the game have enough depth for significant replay value?

Reviews of the original suggest that it's fun but you can overplay it. It's also not dedicated solo, you can play with 1-4.

Final Girl was also fairly high production and is dedicated solo, but it's had some recent non-business related problems that might put you off. I can't recall if they were detailed in this thread, but it's worth putting a CW on it in case you go looking for yourself.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Hackjack posted:

Victorum (which is the Kickstarter running now) is kind of a whole new beast. Old Hoplo was fun but a little unsatisfying for me because it was basically one-off arena fights, but the positional combat itself was pretty great. Victorum looks really interesting in that it adds a whole new character progression and squad building mechanic to it. Although I think Victorum is solo only, so that may or may not float your boat if you also want co-op. The Hoplo Remastered that is also part of the campaign appears to be most everything from the original Hoplomachus plus its expansions in one upgraded package which is compatible with Victorum. I backed it; but I haven’t decided yet if I’m just going to get Victorum or go all in.

Ricky Royal started a playthrough of it, mostly just using print at home prototype materials: https://youtu.be/BKxUds0DyJc

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 17, 2021

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Victorum is solo-only. The remaster of original Hoplomachus will be pretty much the same as the old version so will support solo, coop and PvP one off fights but won't have Victorum's campaign. Sounds like you'll be able to use units from one in the other, but if you'd never play solo Victorum is much chancier as an investment.

They'll be posting details about the remaster in the next day or two, IIRC.

Also, FWIW, excessive replay value and ridiculous overproduction are basically Chip Theory's stock in trade.

malkav11 fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 18, 2021

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Ironsworn: Starforged added a 5000 backers stretch goal (currently at 4781) for better quality on the hardback cover/pages/bookmark, as well as adding laminate for the deck of cards, and a 300k (currently 240k) dollar stretch goal (and final), the Sundered Isles, modified print and play rules to turn Starforged into a fantasy naval exploration/adventure, with modified moves, custom truths and new oracles.

What's interesting about the latter is that they seem to be gauging interest on this and potentially turning it into a series of "Ironsworn Worlds" supplements, so as to provide new genres and settings with the Starforged rules. Hope they hit it!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I love seeing a boardgame youtuber descend into madness like this

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

This is not clickbait I assure you.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

DLC Inc posted:

I both like and don't like BoardGameCo and Quackalope.
I dunno, something about them both just seems... annoying or pretentious or something? Like they ramble for too long and hold on certain words like they mean more than they do (more Quackalope for sure, though).

BoardGameCo is weird because he backs like every single giant mini Kickstarter and it seems he immediately sells it when it arrives.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

DLC Inc posted:

Did he have the 'Oh dear God, I have more square feet of board games than I do of furniture' epiphiny?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I'm afraid a few years ago I decided I have to answer "Will this actually get played at my house?", honestly, with, "Yes, absolutely" before I can even go to deciding whether I even want a game. Will my family want to play it with me? If not, will I see anyone else often enough? Does it look so complicated that, if I play it twice a year, will I have to spend an hour relearning how to play it? Does it have so many components that it takes an hour to set up or put away? Stupid adult life. Sadly by its very nature Kickstarter games especially fail on these points, since they're usually niche games for hardcore gamers and have tons of components.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Granted that Marvel United stack is like 20 inches tall and that game desperately needed one of those giant one box storage solutions, since now if someone wants to play as Spider-Ham I gotta go get a box that has four of my 75 heroes in it.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 19, 2021

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

theironjef posted:

Granted that Marvel Unlimited stack is like 20 inches tall and that game desperately needed one of those giant one box storage solutions, since now if someone wants to play as Spider-Ham I gotta go get a box that has four of my 75 heroes in it.
Just do what I did and baggie everything and compress it all down to 3 boxes (core, stretch goal, infinity gauntlet).

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

JazzFlight posted:

I dunno, something about them both just seems... annoying or pretentious or something? Like they ramble for too long and hold on certain words like they mean more than they do (more Quackalope for sure, though).

BoardGameCo is weird because he backs like every single giant mini Kickstarter and it seems he immediately sells it when it arrives.

I don't know much about Quackalope other than how I loving hate that name but he seems fine. the BoardGameCo guy is massively nebbish about the weirdest poo poo though and I was kind of baffled why he bought this big giant kickstarter when he routinely made so many vids expressing disappointment with Marvel United, yet backed it all anyway. But I think that's more symptomatic with the "board game community" on youtube---they often complain about games that aren't worth it but always add "but I am ALL-IN for this game still" and I'm like, loving why though?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

DLC Inc posted:

"but I am ALL-IN for this game still" and I'm like, loving why though?

F
O
M
O

Edit: also receiving and shelving games is very satisfying.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Fate Accomplice posted:

F
O
M
O

Edit: also receiving and shelving games is very satisfying.

Actual footage of me after receiving the latest Kickstarter big box game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRP0MBNoieY&t=78s

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

DLC Inc posted:

"but I am ALL-IN for this game still" and I'm like, loving why though?

Well, he won't say so but for that dude it's part of the product he creates:

0. Make numerous videos about the all-in kickstarter thing, or waiting for the thing
1. Receive all-in kickstarter thing
2. Do unboxing video
3. Do a walkthrough video, gameplay demo video, final thoughts video, etc etc. The bigger the box the more videos.
4. Sell it on ebay (unopened is worth more, but selling the thing after you made the videos is a good way to recoup cost)

The average person doesn't have those priorities or workflow, though.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Imagined posted:

I'm afraid a few years ago I decided I have to answer "Will this actually get played at my house?", honestly, with, "Yes, absolutely" before I can even go to deciding whether I even want a game. Will my family want to play it with me? If not, will I see anyone else often enough? Does it look so complicated that, if I play it twice a year, will I have to spend an hour relearning how to play it? Does it have so many components that it takes an hour to set up or put away? Stupid adult life. Sadly by its very nature Kickstarter games especially fail on these points, since they're usually niche games for hardcore gamers and have tons of components.

Same here and, especially now that my gaming group has scattered and we only get together once or twice a year, it means I pass on so much stuff. Makes me sad, but it makes my wallet happy.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Doctor Zero posted:

I'm in this post and I don't like it

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Doctor Zero posted:

I'm currently finally trying to unpack my All-In copy of Sine Tempore (which turned out to be kinda bad) and I'm just annoyed at the developers for how much is in the box. I'm trying to baggie a bunch of tokens and minis and tiles and it's all too much for a game that might not even be worth it.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

JazzFlight posted:

I'm currently finally trying to unpack my All-In copy of Sine Tempore (which turned out to be kinda bad) and I'm just annoyed at the developers for how much is in the box. I'm trying to baggie a bunch of tokens and minis and tiles and it's all too much for a game that might not even be worth it.

I have a few games like that. Where I'm doing the punch outs and there's like tokens for 70 different things and there's gotta be a better way. I don't care, give me a supply track board and a bunch of indiscriminate cubes or something, at least I won't have to baggie all this stuff separately or buy another one of those plastic tacklebox things and spend forever sorting through it next time I want to play.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

StarkRavingMad posted:

I have a few games like that. Where I'm doing the punch outs and there's like tokens for 70 different things and there's gotta be a better way. I don't care, give me a supply track board and a bunch of indiscriminate cubes or something, at least I won't have to baggie all this stuff separately or buy another one of those plastic tacklebox things and spend forever sorting through it next time I want to play.
If anything, backing Sine Tempore made me realize I should just skip over a lot of European-developed Ameritrash mini-focused KS games that aren't written by native English speakers.
There's a level of jank that I'm okay with in Euro computer RPGs that is really sloppy when it's a giant physical thing on your table and you can't figure out the rulebook.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

The BoardGameCo guy has had a re-sell store on BGG for a long time before he started his YouTube channel. Prior to his YouTube channel, I just knew him as the guy who would pop up on every trade search and would only make trades he could profit significantly from. I mean, I get it. It's how you make your living. I played CCGs for years, so I was used to running into professional traders.

In any case, his YouTube channel is at least entertaining because he'll tell you if he likes a game or not but also tell you if it's worth re-selling.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

medchem posted:

The BoardGameCo guy has had a re-sell store on BGG for a long time before he started his YouTube channel. Prior to his YouTube channel, I just knew him as the guy who would pop up on every trade search and would only make trades he could profit significantly from. I mean, I get it. It's how you make your living. I played CCGs for years, so I was used to running into professional traders.

In any case, his YouTube channel is at least entertaining because he'll tell you if he likes a game or not but also tell you if it's worth re-selling.

really wish I could exclude him and CLS Games in Atlanta from showing up in BGG trades.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

medchem posted:

Yeah, this is exactly it. He's fine and I enjoy his channel for some things, but his re-sale online shop and BGG trading is fueled by his content. He kickstarts a ton of stuff and then sells it, often for a profit. His advice has to be taken with something of a grain of salt, but I do find some of his game insights helpful.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

JazzFlight posted:

Quackalope is a strange reviewer. Something about his overly-friendly demeanor strikes me as weirdly insincere and I can't put my finger on it. I also thought he was being a bit tone-deaf touring the country and doing some unmasked content with other content providers during the height of COVID, but whatever, sensibilities and risk-assessment are going to vary on that front. He might be fine, but with so many other content providers out there, I'd rather stick to the ones who don't make my hackles rise for reasons I can't quite put my finger on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Speaking of board game youtubers, I remember back a few years ago how prolific some of the "bad/no opinion" paid reviewers were who would praise any game they were sent. I couldn't rely on their opinions for anything, so it really soured me on a few of them. Basically Undead Viking, Bower's Game Corner, and Board Game Brawl were 3 of the main ones that would pop up a lot, I feel.

The biggest tell for me to stop listening to Bower's Game Corner specifically was during the 2016 election when he put up a video telling his viewers they should vote for Gary Johnson.

EDIT: Now that I'm thinking back on it, I'm not sure if BGC did KS reviews, but it was all during that 2015/2016 timeframe.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 19, 2021