Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

mobby_6kl posted:

Modern materials and building methods and fire suppression definitely decreased the risk and severity of fires, even in the US where everything is made from wood apparently

This isn't per capita as far as I could tell

i agree that modern materials and construction methods are generally less flammable than a century ago, but the decreases during the period you highlight might be linked with stricter flammability standards on items in the home rather than the building material

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Fame Douglas posted:

"Modern cities aren't as flammable as historical ones" seems like a very dubious claim to me. Populations are way higher these days, and tons of wooden houses in the US especially. Or insulation material that might burn.

Fire codes are a real thing

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 18, 2021

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I don't think Israel is going to nuke Gaza. Imo.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Senior Hamas figure Mahmoud al-Mardawi: Prepare in advance for a campaign that will last 6 months. Israel has no breathing space, it will not come out with its hand on the top

Government Information Office in Gaza: Israeli army warns UN institutions of its intention to bomb Al-Buraq and Al-Aqsa Schools

Palestinian Health Ministry: The number of victims of the Israeli targeting reached 220, and 6,039 injured

https://twitter.com/i/status/1394206685326098434

https://twitter.com/i/status/1394202140902559744

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 18, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

ok that's one of the most upsetting things I've ever seen

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

That's classic nationalist rhetoric, deployed by various revanchist entities throughout the 20th century. Declaring the need for a dedicated state for _insert ethnicity here_ for all members of that ethnicity to flee to in order to escape oppression is a typical move, and once they get this state it's often not long before they start oppressing the new minorities in their territory and engaging in aggressive foreign policy against neighbors, using the need to "protect" _insert ethnicity here_ as their excuse as they establish an _ethnicity_ supremacist state with ambitions to expand their territory in pursuit of some Greater _nation_ justified by extremely tenuous historical claims often set in a nationalist mythology.

If you sit back and think about it, the idea that Israel is necessary to protect Jews makes no sense. It doesn't protect Jews from expulsion, it gives other countries a place to expel their Jews to - to the point where it has a perverse incentive to facilitate those expulsions to increase its own national manpower and bolster its own military. Similarly, Israel as a sovereign state does not actually have the power to prevent pogroms or combat anti-Semitism in other countries. And if the United States decides it wants to engage in a second Holocaust and kill every Jew on the planet, you'd probably have a better chance of surviving that in France or Russia; just "being a state" alone isn't going to keep the US military away.

Other countries being unwilling to take refugees from a potential internal genocide is certainly an issue, true. But considering the global refugee crisis that's been happening the past few years, it's hardly a problem that's unique to Jews. And in fact Israel has done more than its part to contribute to that problem - the creation and expansion of Israel created millions of refugees, and Israel has not only refused to allow those refugees to return but also actively worked to prevent the creation of a dedicated country for Palestinians that might take those refugees.

I think is a good post and I'd like to piggyback off of it. Understanding how nationalism actually works is also the key to understanding why Netanyahu is able to pal around with Victor Orban despite his regime in Hungary being ground zero for the nakedly anti-Semitic (((Soros))) poo poo that animates so much of the danger non-Israeli Jewish people face in their home nations. Bibi and his ilk do not give a gently caress if a synagogue gets shot up in Pittsburgh because of it, because in their minds, what were those Jews doing in Pittsburgh in the first place? They were asking for it, living outside of Israel

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Bibi literally propagates antisemitism internationally to rile up his base, and also so that the victims of it “flee” to Israel in order to escape it, and understandably by the time they get there they’re very jaded and distrustful so far straight into bibis nationalist rhetoric.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
There's nothing that advances a nationalist cause better than perceived injustice and persecution. That's straight out of the playbook of any nationalist of any creed. It's worked so well for Netanyahu that he seems to have radicalised Israeli society as a whole, swinging the Overton window way out to the right. It's desperately sad because even when he's gone that legacy of intolerance will remain.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Even leaving aside the whole occupation/apartheid thing, Israeli civil society doesn't seem to be going in a very good direction

https://twitter.com/Elizrael/status/1394378305281921027

^ and this is from a former IDF intelligence/natsec blob hack lol

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

mila kunis posted:

Even leaving aside the whole occupation/apartheid thing, Israeli civil society doesn't seem to be going in a very good direction

I mean the Israeli Government is basically Far-Right now, so yeah.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/samahhadid/status/1394654306893193218?s=19

israel is utterly demonic

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
https://twitter.com/sarayasin/status/1394673628717985793

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
"have you not seen how God dealt with the owners of the elephants" means what exactly? There was an attack by an army using elephants and God smited them or something? In the Quran.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

droll posted:

"have you not seen how God dealt with the owners of the elephants" means what exactly? There was an attack by an army using elephants and God smited them or something? In the Quran.

Smited them with a flock of pigeons carrying clay projectiles.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

mila kunis posted:

Bibi's son is big on DAILY STORMER . They consider themselves his fan site since he quotes them constantly

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Infidelicious posted:

Smited them with a flock of pigeons carrying clay projectiles.

holy poo poo

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

mila kunis posted:

I mean yeah this was always going to happen on Israel’s current path this isn’t surprising

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/status/1394717086543486979?s=19

lol Joe Biden can go get hosed with this patronizing bullshit

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Really when you think about it we should just carve up Montana, Wyoming and the Dakotas to give the Palestinians their own state.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Really when you think about it we should just carve up Montana, Wyoming and the Dakotas to give the Palestinians their own state.

Haven't they suffered enough already

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Will the Sioux accept Palestinians?

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

rscott posted:

He might as well have told her to go gently caress herself.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

rscott posted:

Praying for them to be ok while also vetoing calls for a ceasefire. Pathetic.

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

I'm Very Glad I'm Going To Be An Earl
Really odd but logical coda to 'Osama Bin Laden is dead, General Motors is alive'

Carew
Jun 22, 2006
Nice family you got there. Sure hope the weapons I just sold the war criminals aren't used to kill them.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Senor Tron posted:

Praying for them to be ok while also vetoing calls for a ceasefire. Pathetic.

Didn't he back a ceasefire yesterday?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

JBP posted:

Apparently they're talking about the possibility of who they would need to get in the room together to figure out the prerequisites to discussing a ceasefire.

In the meantime civilians are being blown up and they're vetoing calls for one.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

JBP posted:

he called for one while also directing the US to veto a UN resolution to CALL FOR a ceasefire. so no, he doesnt give a poo poo what the Israelis do to the refugee camp.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The United States hates the UN though and Joe doesn’t want to mess with his popularity.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 19, 2021

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

punishedkissinger posted:

he called for one while also directing the US to veto a UN resolution to CALL FOR a ceasefire. so no, he doesnt give a poo poo what the Israelis do to the refugee camp.

Very cool. Only news I saw was like "Biden calls for cease fire" with no further info. What a rat.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

JBP posted:

Very cool. Only news I saw was like "Biden calls for cease fire" with no further info. What a rat.

Biden also ended US support for Saudi-led “offensive” war efforts in Yemen and surprise! It’s just as bad now as ever and we’re still helping the Saudis just as much as before!

Also get ready for the war in Afghanistan to continue as well, despite Biden saying he’ll withdraw all troops by later this year. I’m sure something will come up that necessitates our troops staying there, or he’ll just outsource the war to PMCs, or something else that won’t really change anything.

Biden and Democrats love war and empire. He’ll give statements that sound ok and the press will cover him glowingly, and then nothing will come of it and everyone will forget that nothing ended up changing.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
This may be a long shot but I found this extremely distasteful

https://twitter.com/Breaking911/sta...mber%3D765pti20

Does anyone else remember Rachel Corrie? She was run over by an IDF bulldozer in Gaza in 2003, and at the time I remember the general opinion was its her fault (Go Bush and Fox media).

And with this Biden clip, it seems hes taking the same view.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Mind_Taker posted:

Biden also ended US support for Saudi-led “offensive” war efforts in Yemen and surprise! It’s just as bad now as ever and we’re still helping the Saudis just as much as before!

I look forward to seeing what you have to back this up

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Gaj posted:

This may be a long shot but I found this extremely distasteful

https://twitter.com/Breaking911/sta...mber%3D765pti20

Does anyone else remember Rachel Corrie? She was run over by an IDF bulldozer in Gaza in 2003, and at the time I remember the general opinion was its her fault (Go Bush and Fox media).

And with this Biden clip, it seems hes taking the same view.

Holy poo poo calm down stop raging

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
It was more like cringe. If anything I had to wiki her name cause it was so obscure. Its just another step in Bidens missteps and gaffes with regards to current events. In some states they have laws saying you can run over protestors. Maybe making those jokes isnt the best, where as it would be ok in the 80s?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

I mean the Israeli Government is basically Far-Right now, so yeah.

They are so far right as to be in the Jewish faction (which bibi was part of last time I checked) that thinks the nazi's were not that bad.

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007
Intense, but quick to finish
Meanwhile here, in the land of chocolate OG Nazis, the media is still doubling down on "think of the poor Israeli families in their bunkers" while the IDF literally bombs hospitals (or the roads leading there), refugee camps and press offices.

https://twitter.com/jagodamarinic/status/1394918183111430145

taz is a a center-left publication by the way. I have never used the word "cucked" in my life but I'm not sure I can come up with a better description for what the gently caress is going on with these ghouls.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I look forward to seeing what you have to back this up

https://www.al-monitor.com/originals/2021/04/congress-presses-biden-administration-answers-yemen-war

quote:

Nonetheless, the Pentagon acknowledged in an email to reporters on Saturday that private US contractors continue to provide maintenance for the Royal Saudi Air Force, a service essential for Riyadh’s bombing of Houthi positions.

A 2019 war powers resolution that passed the House with broad bipartisan support would have barred such maintenance and spare parts support had the bill been included in the 2020 defense spending legislation.

Prior to their recent appointments, several members of Biden’s administration publicly advocated passing the resolution. Among them are now national security adviser Jake Sullivan, deputy national security adviser Jon Finer, Deputy Secretary of State Wendy Sherman, Iran envoy Robert Malley, USAID chief Samantha Power and Kelly Magsamen, chief of staff to Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin.

Rights groups and some progressive members of Congress continue to object to the maintenance support, noting that years of Saudi bombardment have failed to stop the Houthis’ advance and have worsened Yemen’s humanitarian situation.

Administration officials are expected to brief members of Congress on the issue Wednesday, according to two people familiar with the matter.

But Democratic aides say patience is running out. Khanna, who co-led the 2019 war powers resolution along with Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., described the mood among lawmakers on the issue as “moral outrage” during an interview with The Nation earlier this month.

Activists say the Saudi air force’s reliance on US maintenance gives the Biden administration significant leverage that could be used to push Riyadh to offer cease-fire terms that would be more acceptable to the Houthis.

They also argue it could also be used to pressure an end to the Saudi blockade, which both United Nations and US officials have said is central to Yemen’s disastrous food and fuel shortages.

It is not clear whether the current US officials have raised the issue as a point of leverage with Riyadh, but the Biden administration "does not currently have plans to reduce or suspend maintenance or logistical support for the Royal Saudi Air Force," a senior US official told Al-Monitor.

So again, what substantive actions has the Biden administration taken to actually reverse the US’s military aid to Saudi Arabia and to help end the war in Yemen? It’s nothing but platitudes and lip-service without the action to back it up. It’s the same poo poo Obama and Democrats (and Trump for that matter) did with the war in Afghanistan: promising to end the war on the campaign trail but not actually ending it in any meaningful way when in power.

If the Biden administration can’t even bother to follow up with meaningful details about this then I don’t have faith that anything has really changed. Anything can be classified as a “defensive war.” It’s mindless nonsense.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Flannelette posted:

They are so far right as to be in the Jewish faction (which bibi was part of last time I checked) that thinks the nazi's were not that bad.

I think the last time it was brought up in the thread someone went back to check and the quote was actually attributed to his SON rather than Bibi himself. It's not really better tho!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

BougieBitch posted:

I think the last time it was brought up in the thread someone went back to check and the quote was actually attributed to his SON rather than Bibi himself. It's not really better tho!

At the very least this one looks to be straight from Bibi's lips; https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/netanyahu-absolves-hitler-of-guilt-1.5411578
Dude is an insane freak.