Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which of these pink video game heroes is best
This poll is closed.
Kirby 126 71.59%
Jigglypuff 34 19.32%
Clefairy 16 9.09%
Total: 176 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

Any particular reason you're skipping chaotix?

mostly because i was too lazy to find a 32x emulator for one game back when i was playing the genesis and game gear titles but as of ten minutes ago that has changed so i probably will play it, cd, and tails' skypatrol at some point

lih posted:

please give us your definite ranking of sonic games

okay but only when i'm all done!

New Super Metis posted:

looper when did you begin this project, what were you thinking when you started it, and how do you feel about sonic now?

what will you do when it's all over?

this whole thing started when my girlfriend not only agreed to see the movie on opening night but also to watch me play through the games i grew up with (genesis and dreamcast stuff). she'd always thought sonic was kind of weird, especially after being dragged to a sxsw panel about it and seeing a bunch of nerds get very upset with one of the creators about sonic having green eyes. funnily enough she's now decided she likes classic sonic way more. i hadn't planned on snowballing into playing almost the entire series + reading the archie comic, but i'm glad i did! sonic is good and i've really enjoyed playing everything i'd skipped in the twelve year gap between shadow and mania

when i'm done i'll probably replay adventure 2, buy a bunch of the idw comic, and then just start playing everything in some other series, probably zelda or kirby

Acerbatus posted:

Can you play sonics schoolhouse to tell me if it held up, I loved it when I was5 and I'm afraid to check myself

i don't know how...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

wuggles posted:

I like horror movies that are psychologically scary and suspenseful, like something is following you, that one always gets me
so like It Follows or the original Halloween then

i love silly slashers, i love existential freakouts, i love banal horror, i love trashy movies with bad effects but earnest filmmaking

i especially love anything with a ton of effort put into the practical effects. anything robert kurtzman touches for example (evil dead 2, re-animator series, body bags, in the mouth of madness)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

wuggles posted:

“He’s just standing there...menacingly!!!” is one of my favorite genres of film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLwgiLJOk9s

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Noticed Days Gone is out now on PC, how is the port?

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Barudak posted:

Friends the long nightmare is soon over; GTAV will be rereleased for PS5 and Series consoles this year

Finally we can play PS3 games on the PS5.

Suck it, Xbox backwards compatibility!

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

The 7th Guest posted:

so like It Follows or the original Halloween then

i love silly slashers, i love existential freakouts, i love banal horror, i love trashy movies with bad effects but earnest filmmaking

i especially love anything with a ton of effort put into the practical effects. anything robert kurtzman touches for example (evil dead 2, re-animator series, body bags, in the mouth of madness)

Yeah I liked It Follows. I also really liked both the Ari Aster movies

When I was in college I lived in the same place they shot Marble Hornets. That poo poo was terrifying.

Well now I can’t sleep tonight!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Liking this candy horror subgenre.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

A lot of the most interesting young directors in Hollywood right now are known for "horror" because that's basically the only way you can get a non-trash superhero movie greenlit these days.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Subnautica Below Zero has a nice enough soundtrack and all, but the way the music works is it'll play once, then go silent for a while. Last night I wasn't doing anything but migrating all my supplies to my new main base, while building it up. The place where I chose to put my base apparently has a track close enough to the important tune from Outer Wilds. Except for when it goes silent, there's not the climax, but my brain still expects one. Definitely my least favourite not-death in the game so far and it took a few loops for me to decondition myself.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

mkvltra posted:

What mix were you playing at the start of your stream yesterday?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owXaE1MPy8c

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

exquisite tea posted:

A lot of the most interesting young directors in Hollywood right now are known for "horror" because that's basically the only way you can get a non-trash superhero movie greenlit these days.

every superhero movie is worse than willy's wonderland

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Relax Or DIE posted:

every superhero movie is worse than willy's wonderland

Holy poo poo I am just now learning about this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v49ewBiBxgc

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
War Criminal known as Mario Mario calls down an orbital laser to cheat at golf.

https://i.imgur.com/1sqUIsE.mp4

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Saint Freak posted:

I did not know Mario Mario was on the board of Ichiban Confections.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Saint Freak posted:

Wow so Mario was responsible for the California wildfires this entire time.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Golf truly is a rich man's game. First the country club fees, now I'm supposed to have my own satellite?

Also I don't know if Pokemon Snap has made me more or less excited for Arceus. The footage theyve shown is clearly pre-alpha, but if Arceus doesn't have tons of little environmental things like Snap does it's gonna feel really lame

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 18, 2021

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
There are at least two political figures caught in that blast. I don't know what kind of standing Boo has and if he's related to King Boo.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Thankfully it's just their golf balls, I think.

Edit: Oh, no, at least Bowser and Pauline are physically there, you're right.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

mutata posted:

Thankfully it's just their golf balls, I think.

Edit: Oh, no, at least Bowser and Pauline are physically there, you're right.

If you look at the high-res footage from the blast zone you can clearly see the King Koopa and his entourage flashing in a post-damage state after the impact

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My friends are trying out the FF14 free trial so guess I am too

Dongdo Dongledill will ride again

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol I was instantly told about the sub and the expansions and no thanks I learned my lesson from clicking the wrong button in wow

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
tell me about it, just got a knock on the door and two dudes in suits were there trying to pitch me how "its actually really not that bad for an MMO" and asking if they could come in and help me set up an account and character.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

No FF14 propaganda bingo would be complete without "listen the base game isn't very good and the story is bad and it takes forever but the expansions are great!"

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

My friends are trying out the FF14 free trial so guess I am too

Dongdo Dongledill will ride again

Good King Dongledill
Good King Dong

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Base Game Is Good, though

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

homeless snail posted:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

homeless snail posted:

I think people do a disservice to the game by freaking out so much that someone might not like it and then they prime them to do exactly that lol

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I also just started a FF14 character so if anyone who is also just starting wants to do stuff* let me know

* part of my FF14 education is going to be learning what “doing stuff” is

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Today I finished Resident Evil: Village! Finally, an Actual Game that came out in 2021. So far this year I have completed...

- Trials of Mana Remake
- Foregone
- Resident Evil Village

Up next: Maybe Biomutant if it isn't so terrible?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

wuggles posted:

I also just started a FF14 character so if anyone who is also just starting wants to do stuff* let me know

* part of my FF14 education is going to be learning what “doing stuff” is
you can't really do a whole lot with people until level 15, but I'll do dungeons with you when you get there

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
anyone playing on the primal data center should feel free to hit me up for ff14 content doing

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

homeless snail posted:

After like 10 hours, sure.

The first 30 levels are exceptionally boring, and no that's not just people setting others up to expect that, the game is just boring and uninteresting until you get a long way in.

Its a consequence of ARR being what it was, and the game is good now, but y'all are pushing too hard back.

It may be a good game after that, but that's like saying FFXIII gets good after 20 hours, lots of people aren't going to want to push that far through a boring game to get to a decent game.

homeless snail posted:

you can't really do a whole lot with people until level 15

Yep. And even the things you do together at 15 are pretty lame, typical "baby's first MMORPG dungeon" stuff.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I played up through the one raid where you have to jump over the enemy's ground slam attack like in every single video game ever and it kept wiping my party and I quit there. Up until that point I'd done basically nothing but run from zone to zone which was a LOT of time and then do quests which mostly involved running from zone to zone. The best parts were dungeons which the game doesn't want to seem to do because you have a limited number you're allowed to do per day.

I much prefer the kind of MMOs where you level up by actually grinding mobs

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

The best parts were dungeons which the game doesn't want to seem to do because you have a limited number you're allowed to do per day.

You can do as many as you want per day, but you only get the big "first run of the day" bonus once (for each type of playlist)

You definitely do still get xp from grinding dungeons beyond that bonus, its just much less worth your time.

I like grinding mobs in EQ and FFXI because the games are built around the journey more than the destination and just kinda hanging out.
Modern MMOs like WoW and FFXIV are more this solo rpg you speed-run to unlock the endgame raiding which is a sort of weird and very different gameplay model.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Modern MMOs like WoW and FFXIV are more this solo rpg you speed-run to unlock the endgame raiding which is a sort of weird and very different gameplay model.

I just fundamentally disagree with this because the journey WAS the good part of FF14. I didn't speedrun it, I took my time and enjoyed every minute along the way. I can't imagine trying to do what you describe, it sounds miserable.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I played up through the one raid where you have to jump over the enemy's ground slam attack like in every single video game ever and it kept wiping my party and I quit there. Up until that point I'd done basically nothing but run from zone to zone which was a LOT of time and then do quests which mostly involved running from zone to zone. The best parts were dungeons which the game doesn't want to seem to do because you have a limited number you're allowed to do per day.

I much prefer the kind of MMOs where you level up by actually grinding mobs

there are no mechanics that you physically jump over in ffxiv and you can do dungeons are much as you want so I'm not sure which fight you're talking about

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

cheetah7071 posted:

there are no mechanics that you physically jump over in ffxiv and you can do dungeons are much as you want so I'm not sure which fight you're talking about

I think he means Titan? That's the first thing that really wipes parties.

Zaphod42 posted:

FF14 isn't this. If you like endlessly grinding overworld stuff though the current endgame as a huge area dedicated to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

i'm assuming titan, which is, an unfortunate misread on that mechanic