Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Alchenar posted:

Depends what medium you are looking at and how much Disney are trying to sell you a videogame, but it is very much right there in the original trilogy. The rebellion is diverse in skin colour, gender, and where costume budgets allow, species. The Empire is exclusively white men with English accents.

I know, I was referring more to the very explicit kind of racism evident in the Empire of Legends continuity where they straight-up had officers constantly implying the inferiority of non-humans. It’s part of what made old Thrawn such an oddity in the Empire and set Paelleon apart from other Imps because he didn’t seem to care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Isn’t the Empire’s speciesism only a Legends thing now? I don’t think it survived until the new canon, but I also haven’t read all the new Thrawn novels.

Death Star Detention Center, upon seeing Chewbacca.

"Where are you taking this...thing?"

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I know, I was referring more to the very explicit kind of racism evident in the Empire of Legends continuity where they straight-up had officers constantly implying the inferiority of non-humans. It’s part of what made old Thrawn such an oddity in the Empire and set Paelleon apart from other Imps because he didn’t seem to care.

Along with Paelleon two other non-racist Imperials were Vader and Palpatine himself. Vader didn't give a poo poo about anything as petty as species and Palpatine was the one who brought Thrawn into the Empire and eventually promoted him to Grand Admiral. Of course neither of them seemed to do any real pushback against the rampant bigotry (unless it perhaps impacted something within their personal interests). Palpatine obviously used the bigotry to unify/control the Imperials by directing their aggression outward onto non-humans instead of potentially against him.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Like any fascist state, the Empire isn't going to let a good fear of the other go to waste.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Alchenar posted:

Depends what medium you are looking at and how much Disney are trying to sell you a videogame, but it is very much right there in the original trilogy. The rebellion is diverse in skin colour, gender, and where costume budgets allow, species. The Empire is exclusively white men with English accents.

As RussianBadger put it:

quote:

"Alright, I'm joining the White class, and wielding an MG42-"
"Precisely. Now I'm going to need you to fight that ethnically diverse group of Rebels."

NuCanon's a little more diverse on the Imperial side of things, but most of them are hidden by identical white armor because uniformity is part of the Empire's MO, and we saw that back in Rebels with Kallus and the seeds of it in Bad Batch with Crosshair

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

yeah like any true fascist mastermind Palpatine personally was above petty poo poo like race, it was just another tool in the kit to manipulate the masses

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Palpatine is significantly more competent than IRL fascists.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Don't forget, it's also hinted at the reason why Thrawn was given out of the way commands was because secretly, the Emperor was actually afraid of him. :rolleyes:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Alchenar posted:

Anyone of ship-commanding rank or higher tends to have the accent, anyway. Stormtroopers have always sounded pretty American.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Arquinsiel posted:

Palpatine is significantly more competent than IRL fascists.

I'm fairly confident Hitler would have succeeded if he too had been a magic space wizard

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Sash! posted:

I'm fairly confident Hitler would have succeeded if he too had been a magic space wizard

need .gif of Hitler replacing Palps from ROS using chain lightning on the 8th Air Force.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

somehow, Hitler returned

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Madurai posted:

Anyone of ship-commanding rank or higher tends to have the accent, anyway. Stormtroopers have always sounded pretty American.

I like how they use real world accents to denote class in at least the OT. British accents were the sign of upper class people from the Core Worlds, that's why Mon Mothma also has one. American accents are usually reserved for people from lower classes and less wealthy worlds. Though that doesn't explain Alderaan mostly having American accents. It's probably not as solid as I'm implying but generally if you hear someone with a clipped British accent, they're from a well to do family from a rich planet.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

is Book of Boba Fett/Mando still filming right now? Tim Olyphant’s haircut/facial hair on his Conan appearance last(?) night makes me think Cobb Vanth is definitely back

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
It seems that it recently wrapped or will very soon wrap, Mando season 3 will be using the lot pretty soon supposedly. Him being a Marshall on the same planet Boba is now running makes a ton of appearance sense.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Mandrel posted:

somehow, Hitler returned

That's basically the premise of Look Who's Back

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Sash! posted:

Nah, he'd just have used it to get high faster. Dude was on all the drugs.

twistedmentat posted:

I like how they use real world accents to denote class in at least the OT. British accents were the sign of upper class people from the Core Worlds, that's why Mon Mothma also has one. American accents are usually reserved for people from lower classes and less wealthy worlds. Though that doesn't explain Alderaan mostly having American accents. It's probably not as solid as I'm implying but generally if you hear someone with a clipped British accent, they're from a well to do family from a rich planet.
That's partially because Carrie Fisher thought the fake British accent she did in EpIV was terrible.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Arquinsiel posted:

Yea, tweeking nazis is something that a lot of people leave out of history. Serious theories suggest that Hitler being so dynamic and confident early on and then was a shattered mess by the end of the war is contributed to his copious amounts of meth he took. Early Blitzkriegs were powered by stuka pills, which were just tabs of amphetamines.

quote:

That's partially because Carrie Fisher thought the fake British accent she did in EpIV was terrible.

True! Alderaan is space Canada, sorta british, sorta american.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Motti was the exception, since he was the jumped-up technocrat in the room.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, tweeking nazis is something that a lot of people leave out of history. Serious theories suggest that Hitler being so dynamic and confident early on and then was a shattered mess by the end of the war is contributed to his copious amounts of meth he took. Early Blitzkriegs were powered by stuka pills, which were just tabs of amphetamines.

Alderaan, home of The "Eh-Wing" Fighters.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Dug the last episode and really liking how Bad Batch is exploring the early days of the empire. Liked that it acknowledges talking points made over decades about how the Republic was essentially flawed and left a lot of people in poverty (and in slavery). There's a lot of good world building here that provides good justification for how and why there was a switch from a clone army to schlubs in storm trooper uniforms with little to no marksmanship skills.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The Bounty Hunters comic series reintroduces some old EU Marvel cyborg bounty hunter and his background is basically that same "I joined up to get an education while making the galaxy safe for working schlubs like me" character, but... minus most of his original parts. Then after he's discharged due to all the metal bits he goes home to see what the Empire made of his homeworld and is predictably unhappy.

twistedmentat posted:

I recently learned that Newfoundland accents are just rural Irish accents, with a slight colonial twang to them, and it's amazing to suddenly have all this second hand TV-gained knowledge of "Newfies sound weird" make sense.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

If Alderaan is Space Canada then Cara Dune must have been from Space Alberta.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Arquinsiel posted:

Seeing Empire Strikes Back when it came out in the cinema it was weird as hell to suddenly hear everyone talk with broader accents. I'm also sure they changed how Leia was pronounced, from Lee-ah to Lay-uh.

My in-universe canon was that Leia code switched her speach to make her appear more of a common person, which would have helped running around the backwater planets trying to drum up aid to help their cause.

A People's Princess, if you will, but without the paparazzi hounding her to her death in a tunnel while she throat goats a space Arab.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

AndyElusive posted:

If Alderaan is Space Canada then Cara Dune must have been from Space Alberta.

She spent to much time listening to Space Jordan Peterson.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

twistedmentat posted:

Eh, accents are a little more all over the place than that. A New Hope has a few high ranking Imperials with American accents. You've got Motti, and the two officers who talk to Vader at the beginning about sympathy in the Senate and the escape pod. The whole British thing didn't come about until Empire Strikes Back, and according to his commentary, that was entirely because Irvin Kershner had a British teacher he didn't like and he wanted to make all the villains sound British (or something like that, I don't remember the exact details). Then Piett just came back in Return of the Jedi as the main Admiral. I guess Jerjerrod had a British accent in that, too. But I think the whole, "All Imperials are British" is a bit overblown.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I mean, Thrawn is Danish.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Thrawn is space-Danish too.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Wild Space is the Low Countries?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah, but a bit of a throwback. Like a really cerebral Viking.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Arquinsiel posted:

I mean, sure. If Mayfeld can be space-Bostonian, then Thrawn can be space-Danish.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Space Danish. Spanish.

Wait.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Everyone posted:

Yeah, but a bit of a throwback. Like a really cerebral Viking.
I was more going for a "he's foreign and has an accent" thing but that's not entirely wrong.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I assumed people were talking about the fact that he's voiced by a Mikkelsen.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Moon Slayer posted:

I assumed people were talking about the fact that he's voiced by a Mikkelsen.

That was exactly why I made the post

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
General Solo, is your jedi in that tauntaun?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
honestly surprised he wasn't already

https://twitter.com/starwarstuff2/status/1395459970066432001?s=20

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Hell yes. Let him do whatever he wants.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

OH YES.

Oh hi thread! I finally dragged my lazy rear end over here from the Mandalorian thread because we won't be having anything to talk about until December. Quick content: Dad Batch is cool, I finally binged Clone Wars and things are more clear now :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
My only complaint is that Filoni keeps drawing from the well of "grumpy man learns how to be a good mentor/father figure to a precocious and/or powerful youth". That's a great story beat, and he's told good stories with it. But that dynamic KEEPS turning up in his work haha.