Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

SubNat posted:

Honestly, Anno 1800 has gotten so so so much content that whatever game Anno8 ends up being, it'll really need to have some unique hook to help it avoid the 'Sims' issue, where a new title rolls out but has to contend with the previous one having a lot of existing content and feeling barren in comparison.
It's a position the series hasn't really been in before, because the scope of the updates and DLC for this title has just dwarfed all previous extensions and season passes. (Also on that note, I wonder if they'll start teasing Anno8 once they're done with this third, final season of content. 3-4 years between releases has been the norm for the 3D Annos, after all.)

e: I guess re-adding scenarios would be a nice hook for me. I still miss the 2070 ones, with the rotating scenario mini-campaigns.

They very specifically design each dlc to be separate from each other, although Tourists will be the first which references the other DLC because Reddit keeps asking for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I think you might have missed my point a bit? (Though granted, I do appreciate that this dlc does integrate a bit with the others, as someone who buys the season packs.) But I can understand how you got there, because dlc/expansions not integrating with eachother much is an issue in Sims from what I remember.
My point was more that 1800 has gotten a lot of content over these 3 seasons (Far more than any Anno before.), so my worry is that unless there's some very interesting hook, feature, or setting in the next Anno title, it might end up feeling a bit barren in comparison when it launches.

I'm with Cythereal in that I'd love it if the next one was a sci-fi title again, but if the next title is another 1400s-2000s historic setting, it'll have to do something very interesting to mitigate the comparisons with 1800, and the amount of content available in the game at launch.
(I'd be onboard with something ancient, but I'd be very surprised if Anno ends up going ancient Egyptian/Roman/Greek/Chinese. Or hell, them swinging a fantasy or alt-alt-history thing.)

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

SubNat posted:

Honestly, Anno 1800 has gotten so so so much content that whatever game Anno8 ends up being, it'll really need to have some unique hook to help it avoid the 'Sims' issue, where a new title rolls out but has to contend with the previous one having a lot of existing content and feeling barren in comparison.
It's a position the series hasn't really been in before, because the scope of the updates and DLC for this title has just dwarfed all previous extensions and season passes. (Also on that note, I wonder if they'll start teasing Anno8 once they're done with this third, final season of content. 3-4 years between releases has been the norm for the 3D Annos, after all.)

e: I guess re-adding scenarios would be a nice hook for me. I still miss the 2070 ones, with the rotating scenario mini-campaigns.

Instead of covering one time period, cover all of them! 800+ years of history in a single game.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

SubNat posted:

I think you might have missed my point a bit? (Though granted, I do appreciate that this dlc does integrate a bit with the others, as someone who buys the season packs.) But I can understand how you got there, because dlc/expansions not integrating with eachother much is an issue in Sims from what I remember.
My point was more that 1800 has gotten a lot of content over these 3 seasons (Far more than any Anno before.), so my worry is that unless there's some very interesting hook, feature, or setting in the next Anno title, it might end up feeling a bit barren in comparison when it launches.

I'm with Cythereal in that I'd love it if the next one was a sci-fi title again, but if the next title is another 1400s-2000s historic setting, it'll have to do something very interesting to mitigate the comparisons with 1800, and the amount of content available in the game at launch.
(I'd be onboard with something ancient, but I'd be very surprised if Anno ends up going ancient Egyptian/Roman/Greek/Chinese. Or hell, them swinging a fantasy or alt-alt-history thing.)

I don’t know. I assume Ubisoft will dictate this or at least some of it. For me, vanilla 1800 is almost fine but I do like the addition of Cape Trawlany.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Anno 8 wishlist:

I want trains. Real trains, not this piddley 1 service line bullshit.
I also want better DLC cross integration.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Roman or Egyptian themed anno please.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Kris xK posted:

Anno 8 wishlist:

I want trains. Real trains, not this piddley 1 service line bullshit.
I also want better DLC cross integration.

They said doing trains was pretty difficult to get right and they don't want to make people feel like they have to buy any given DLC to play any other DLC which I commend them for.

If this were Electronic Arts, half the DLC wouldn't work unless you had all the DLC I would bet.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
My pipe dream for the next Anno is they dump sessions. Just make the map bigger or make a combined map option. I would kill for a 1440 style map with the 4 session type islands in each respective corner. I don’t think I’ve ever settled more than 4 islands per session yet before so like 16 islands total, 4 each would be perfect for me.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
I'm actually thinking about even farther in the future, because the way the gimmick has been going, there's only one plausible outcome for the game AFTER that.

The Mediterranean antiquity game, Anno 0009.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Redeye Flight posted:

I'm actually thinking about even farther in the future, because the way the gimmick has been going, there's only one plausible outcome for the game AFTER that.

The Mediterranean antiquity game, Anno 0009.

I would think they would probably save that for the 9th installment. Otherwise it would be confusing!

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

No, that's what I was saying. I don't know what Anno 8 is going to be, but Anno 9 is absolutely going to be 0009.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Redeye Flight posted:

No, that's what I was saying. I don't know what Anno 8 is going to be, but Anno 9 is absolutely going to be 0009.

maybe it'll be IX

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I think the next game should either go way in the future or way in the past. 1800 was a safe bet that paid off and now I want an experiment. If it stays historical, something non-Eurocentric would be fun, like a map with separate sessions for China, Japan, Korea, Indonesia maybe. Otherwise go into space with solar systems as sessions.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Blue Byte, all I want is more color options, come on.

Give me back the ridiculous swathe of colors I had in 2070, man. I want my nice crisp light green back!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Gadzuko posted:

I think the next game should either go way in the future or way in the past. 1800 was a safe bet that paid off and now I want an experiment. If it stays historical, something non-Eurocentric would be fun, like a map with separate sessions for China, Japan, Korea, Indonesia maybe. Otherwise go into space with solar systems as sessions.

Frankly I thought 1800 was pretty dangerous when I first heard the title. There was a ton of exploitation among people of color (both people of African as well as Asian descent) as well as the working class in the 1800's and I was a little concerned about Blue Byte navigating that. But I think they did a good job. The formula didn't fundamentally change so you don't get the feeling that you are managing a slave plantation in the New World and you don't get the feeling that you are especially exploiting the working class, since they can move up to better stuff. I loved the inclusion of Madame, as those women actually existed then and still do in many parts of the world. Having a Haitian pirate made sense as well. And the inclusion of women, I loved the stories, they felt like that could have actually happened, for all the women in the game really.

I also would like to see a return to a science fiction setting, they've done that so well with 2070 and 2205. I don't think we'll see a new Anno game for a couple of years, but I'll certainly be looking forward to it when it comes out.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Mayveena posted:

They said doing trains was pretty difficult to get right and they don't want to make people feel like they have to buy any given DLC to play any other DLC which I commend them for.

If this were Electronic Arts, half the DLC wouldn't work unless you had all the DLC I would bet.

Trains were base game and quite frankly a waste. For a game set in the 1800s when steam power was a major driving force in industry to just have trains move only oil to one or two spots is a bullshit.

If they're going to do more anno, they're probably going to need to expand the logistics portion to include in-island logistics. We've already got island and region logistics, so unless they're going to go planetary logistics, the most logical gameplay expansion would be in-island logistics. So trains. Give me my goddamn trains.

And while I get that approach to DLC, I honestly dont care. I hate surface level DLC.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Who knows where the tech will be by the time they do their next game, perhaps they'll be able to better integrate trains. I know they said they wanted a more robust train system in 1800 but weren't able to do it. Unless you've implemented your own train system in such a game as Anno, I think you should take them at their word.

For every one of you who wants the DLC integrated, there's dozens of Redditors who'd hit the ceiling, thus no DLC integration.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Cythereal posted:

I'm hoping they return to a sci-fi setting and really play with it. I'd be so, so down for an Anno game set entirely on the moon or underwater or on Mars or whatever. Surviving Mars was a good try but I couldn't get into it because of all the stupid colonist management.

I've skipped 1800 simply because I don't like the historical setting.

I'm with you in liking the the sci-fi Annos. It'd probably get a bit too far away, but I'd almost like to see them go further beyond 2205, with islands being replaced by planets or celestial bodies, with sea ships being replaced with space ships. You could even throw solar sails if you want an excuse to have something akin to sailing mechanics. :v:

I do almost think you should give 1800 a shot though. I feel like the industrial revolution setting avoids making it feel too historical? I think it's real cool to see your city go from little farm houses to these big victorian? city streets.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i like the scifi annos better too but it'd be a real shame to miss 1800 for that reason alone

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
To each their own. I don't find the Industrial Revolution setting an interesting one for a city-builder.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you zoom in on a late game old world map you'd be hard pressed to tell if it was meant to depict England 1872 or 1972. Although that probably says more about the general state of England in 1972.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People should feel comfortable liking what they like:) I like sci fi better too, in fact I was just talking with a friend about starting up a small sci fi RPG group.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

I honestly feel that the extra content in Anno 1800 has detracted from the main point of the game, which is why Anno 1404 is still my favourite in the series. It feels more streamlined and focused, with fewer things competing for my attention. But now with all the QoL stuff, going back is hard.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Radiation Cow posted:

I honestly feel that the extra content in Anno 1800 has detracted from the main point of the game, which is why Anno 1404 is still my favourite in the series. It feels more streamlined and focused, with fewer things competing for my attention. But now with all the QoL stuff, going back is hard.

Naturally they don't want you to go back so that's expected. They haven't released the Game Update that will happen separately from the Tourist DLC, should happen soon. My son feels like you do and I just haven't engaged with any of the DLC except Trawlany and I feel fine about the game. I will engage with the Tourist DLC when it hits, but to me vanilla plus Trawlany is all I need.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Twitch drops enabled for streaming of Tourists DLC

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
Anno 2025, where you’re managing crypto mining farms for shitcoins to supply your EFT investor class.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i think there was some talk back before 1800 was decide on about doing a planet/solar system/galaxy level anno also?

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Could Anno potentially complete with Tropico with an Anno '54?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
"Compete"? Anno doesn't get down in the gutter with that Tropico filth.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Anno 10171, the known universe is ruled by the Padashah Emperor Shaddam the Fourth. Now he tasks you to settle these planets, build a metropolis, and above all else keep the spice trade routes flowing.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Omnicarus posted:

Anno 10171, the known universe is ruled by the Padashah Emperor Shaddam the Fourth. Now he tasks you to settle these planets, build a metropolis, and above all else keep the spice trade routes flowing.

10171 equals 10, won’t happen 😀
Try 10071.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Is Anno 1800 a good first Anno? I love logistics games but for some reason never tried the Anno series. I've always heard good things about 1404 too.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I'd say so, due to massively improved QoL and statistics/logistics overviews compared to older titles.
Get in, learn the flow, and if you want some other flavour, you can check out the older titles.

1404 and 2070 are good games, but they're hard to go back to after the UI and overview developments of 2205 and 1800.
(The games pretty much expected you to be spreadsheeting, or using calculators to manage consumption vs usage for your population.)
2205 is a neat game, but very much a spin-off from the main Annos, and not directly representative of how the other titles are.

e: honestly, I'd happily pay for enhanced editions of 1404 and 2070, where they get slapped into the current engine and enjoy all the ui/ux improvements, honestly.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Next Game Update notes are out.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

a7m2 posted:

Is Anno 1800 a good first Anno? I love logistics games but for some reason never tried the Anno series. I've always heard good things about 1404 too.
Absolutely. If the pricetag isn't an issue, starting with 1800 is a great option since like SubNat said, there's a ton of QoL that kinda helps you get a better idea of how to manage things.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Oh my, those are all good changes. Though...did we really need another questline in Enbessa?

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

A research queue! Thank gently caress.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Alkydere posted:

Oh my, those are all good changes. Though...did we really need another questline in Enbessa?

Yes. Gotta have more non-set artifacts to leave in storage.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

A research queue! Thank gently caress.

Yeah, that one brought a huge grin to my face.

Eschatos posted:

Yes. Gotta have more non-set artifacts to leave in storage.

At least those non-set items are worth a solid 50 points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siZXs4d5Gqg

Victoria 3 is straight up ripping off Anno 1800s entire vibe. Even looks like the screen artist is the same.