Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's the connection to equating a protest of mostly Arabs with "leaving in one piece."

Also, it is a protest that only has a couple hundred people signed up for it and they are all American citizens. Why would you think this is more dangerous than larger protests or protests from other groups where nothing happened?
........I just realized I don't. I was thinking about RFK only to discover that arguement is bullshit. Sorry everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/npfandos/status/1394719969938710535

Why are the most credulous people in America also Washington DC correspondents

McConnell swears he'll hold the football for the democrats to kick, unlike house republicans who remain firm in their promise to pull it away at the last moment. A very different message!

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Herstory Begins Now posted:

what the gently caress is this

Meant to post in ADTRW.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/npfandos/status/1394719969938710535

Why are the most credulous people in America also Washington DC correspondents

Journalism ethics have evolved into blind rule-following that makes readers less informed.

Remember how controversial it was when the NYT decided label something Trump said as "a lie" 2.5 years into his presidency? Some reporters feel like they have to be stenographers who just report what other people are saying at 100% face value lest they be "biased" in their reporting.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hold on a new challenger for most credulous appears

https://twitter.com/nytimesworld/status/1393959463581888517

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Grouchio posted:

........I just realized I don't. I was thinking about RFK ... Sorry everyone

Were you having the dream where you're in bed and he flies in through the window again?

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Zotix posted:

A combat pilot in the Navy's primary job is air superiority. It's determining threat of a target, and if need be to intercept it and neutralize it. It's what they drill for every single day. They practice using their equipment to achieve this end.

I'm pretty sure after a decade in most cases when you see something visually, and on different tracking systems that doesn't line up with anything you've ever seen it up there that you take note.
Are all these reports coming from military pilots or are we also seeing them from commercial airline pilots?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

zoux posted:

That last line is some good shade, true or not

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Biden being in Dearborn is dangerous... for the protestors, because there will be increased police presence, and police love to hurt people and if the president is there they give themselves more false justification

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Failed Imagineer posted:

Were you having the dream where you're in bed and he flies in through the window again?
I have never had that dream sorry. My dad does think he poisoned Marilyn though.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

zoux posted:

"See, there will be some Somalis left in France under my rule!" vows Le Pen ominously, while petting cat.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

White House is having meetings with Senate Democrats to convince a few Senators to sign onto a modified D.C. statehood bill. This one would require the D.C. electoral college voters appointed by the 23rd amendment (which would be elected by basically just the President and his or her family if D.C. became a state and got its own electoral college voters) to give their votes to the winner of the national popular vote.

This is a minor thing that probably won't lead anywhere, but does show that this is the first time a President has been actively engaged with D.C. statehood.

Also, this is the first time the White House has explicitly backed changes to the electoral college (even though they are relatively minor).

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/13/us/politics/biden-dc-statehood.html

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

This is quite the quote!

quote:

Watkins, the “Q Shaman” Jacob Chansley’s attorney, said his client had Asperger’s syndrome and indicated that Chansley’s mental state — and the impact of Trump’s “propaganda” efforts — would play a role in his case.

“A lot of these defendants — and I’m going to use this colloquial term, perhaps disrespectfully — but they’re all loving short-bus people,” Watkins told TPM. “These are people with brain damage, they’re loving retarded, they’re on the goddamn spectrum.”

“But they’re our brothers, our sisters, our neighbors, our coworkers — they’re part of our country. These aren’t bad people, they don’t have prior criminal history. gently caress, they were subjected to four-plus years of goddamn propaganda the likes of which the world has not seen since loving Hitler.”

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/capitol-rioters-trump-defense-comes-up-again-and-again-will-it-make-a-difference

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Too bad he's trying that in a country that loves to give people the chair after calling them the r-word.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Your honor, my client is loving retarded. The defense rests.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I swear I remember some big case where the "my client is too goddamn stupid to know right from wrong" defense backfired horribly. Maybe it was a TV show.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

quote:

Alabama mass vaccination sites close amid dwindling demand

One of the largest COVID-19 vaccination sites in Alabama operated for a final day Tuesday as dwindling demand forced a shutdown despite the fact that only about 25% of the state’s population has been fully vaccinated against the illness caused by the coronavirus.

While the drive-up clinic at Hoover Metropolitan Stadium could immunize as many as 2,400 people a day when it was opened by the University of Alabama at Birmingham in early February, traffic has slowed to a relative trickle in recent weeks. Workers said they’d do well to vaccinate even 500 people on its last day in operation.

quote:

Lately, other than during morning and evening rushes and around lunchtime, workers sometimes sit idle waiting on patients to arrive. UAB nurse Cathy Fuller said the decline in demand is noticeable.

“We want the population to know that this vaccine is safe, that it’s needed and we all need to do our part,” said Fuller, who supervised the site. “It’s frustrating to be out here and have the vaccine available but not have the patients to put the shots in the arms.”

It’s unclear what has led to the decline in demand, but health officials say the hesitancy among some to get the vaccine is a problem.

quote:

Gary Wright, who had COVID-19 in December and was vaccinated after a 90-day waiting period following the illness, brought his wife Amanda Wright for her second shot of the Pfizer vaccine since the site was close to their home. Gary Wright, who travels for work and is ready to quit wearing a mask, said he wasn’t worried that more people aren’t getting shots.

“I think probably we all should do it at some point, but I think everyone has a right if they choose not to. I’ve got some friends that don’t want to do it, and I think that’s their personal preference,” he said.

quote:

Vaccinations have lagged in predominantly white, rural counties in Alabama, while communities with predominantly Black areas are generally doing better. Overall, Alabama’s vaccination rate is the second-lowest in the country and better only than Mississippi’s rate.

Even though this is terrible, the old mantra holds true and - somehow - Mississippi is actually doing worse than Alabama.

In Mississippi, the demographic groups with the highest vaccination rates are prisoners and nursing home residents, despite being tiny fractions of the total population.

https://apnews.com/article/al-state-wire-coronavirus-pandemic-health-9c4e068fd7edc8df1f46276540af1f05

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 18, 2021

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Holy gently caress lmao

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Is he...going for a mistrial or something?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Failed Imagineer posted:

When your client is video taped doing the crime, says, "I did the crime and don't regret it," and pictures of them doing the crime were on the front page of every national newspaper, then you gotta come up with a creative legal defense.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I believe the colloquial term is, and pardon me if I'm misusing it of course, "loving Short Bus People"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

looooooooooooooooooooooooool

i would say i've never heard of such a defense before but citibank actually tried the "your honor, we're dumber than rocks" defense relatively recently (and it was opposed by the other side saying "actually, WE are dumber than the citibank rocks")

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Failed Imagineer posted:

There's definitely not a lot for a lawyer to work with when the defendant was literally hamming it up for the cameras while enthusiastically committing federal felonies.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

packetmantis posted:

I swear I remember some big case where the "my client is too goddamn stupid to know right from wrong" defense backfired horribly. Maybe it was a TV show.

IANAL but isn't that essentially just an insanity plea by another means?
Like isn't the whole point of an insanity plea 'your honor, my client is clinically unable to differentiate right from wrong and/or engage with reality and so is not criminally responsible or their actions?' If you're arguing 'my client is so loving stupid he just does whatever the TV tells him like a lemming.' I don't see how that differs meaningfully from 'my client is severely ill and unable to distinguish reality from fantasy and beholden to the illusory voices in their head.'

Like other than the fact we all had to and will continue to have to hear Trump, how is this meaningfully different, legally speaking, from saying the client heard voices telling them to kill people?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Also someone get me that defense attorney so I can probate him

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Canada somehow found a way to be worse at disciplining their police than the U.S.

quote:

Mountie accused of sexually assaulting Indigenous girl has been on paid leave for 16 years

It began with allegations of sexual misconduct, but it went beyond that into a bureaucratic tangle that left the alleged victim's parents without justice, the RCMP spending hundreds of thousands to keep a constable on leave and an embarrassing look into an organization that badly needs to fix its policies.

What went wrong in the case of Const. Justin Harris? And how systemic are the problems in the RCMP discipline process?

https://thebigstorypodcast.ca/2021/05/17/a-mountie-has-been-on-paid-leave-for-16-years-hes-not-alone/

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Failed Imagineer posted:

"my client is too stupid to form the necessary motive to commit the crime" is, in fact, a defense to many criminal charges (it is...hard...to prove)

and as a secretary of defense once said, you go to war with the army you have, not the army you want

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Canada somehow found a way to be worse at disciplining their police than the U.S.

https://thebigstorypodcast.ca/2021/05/17/a-mountie-has-been-on-paid-leave-for-16-years-hes-not-alone/

That's not worse, we re-hire them so they can commit more crimes while wearing a badge.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
:laffo:

https://twitter.com/archer_rs/status/1394591664472301569

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

No Safe Word posted:

That's not worse, we re-hire them so they can commit more crimes while wearing a badge.

i dunno i think most police would take the 16 years paid vacation

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

evilweasel posted:

"my client is too stupid to form the necessary motive to commit the crime" is, in fact, a defense to many criminal charges (it is...hard...to prove)

and as a secretary of defense once said, you go to war with the army you have, not the army you want

To be fair, the Q anon shaman does seem pretty loving stupid.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Maybe they all showed up to Airport Marriott Landscaping?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Even though this is terrible, the old mantra holds true and - somehow - Mississippi is actually doing worse than Alabama.

In Mississippi, the demographic groups with the highest vaccination rates are prisoners and nursing home residents, despite being tiny fractions of the total population.

https://apnews.com/article/al-state-wire-coronavirus-pandemic-health-9c4e068fd7edc8df1f46276540af1f05

That’s my state, so proud of us. Though based on the state’s numbers we’re over 40% vaccinated which, while very very bad, is a lot better than the 25% reported there.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

evilweasel posted:

i would say i've never heard of such a defense before but citibank actually tried the "your honor, we're dumber than rocks" defense relatively recently (and it was opposed by the other side saying "actually, WE are dumber than the citibank rocks")

Was this the time where someone fat-fingered a routine loan payment and accidentally sent half a billion dollars to the debtor?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MarioDParker/status/1394729777832079360

What is up with that paint job, are they trying to prevent WWI Uboats from getting accurate firing solutions

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/MarioDParker/status/1394729777832079360

What is up with that paint job, are they trying to prevent WWI Uboats from getting accurate firing solutions

If it's an upcoming model the paint job is to disguise any of the body features/detailing so they don't leak prior to release

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

KitConstantine posted:

If it's an upcoming model the paint job is to disguise any of the body features/detailing so they don't leak prior to release

Oh so it is a sort of dazzle camo. Interesting.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

evilweasel posted:

Granted, but using insanely derogatory language about your client is meant to facilitate the defence somehow? In a more normal country it might be grounds for being disbarred

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Ethiser posted:

That’s my state, so proud of us. Though based on the state’s numbers we’re over 40% vaccinated which, while very very bad, is a lot better than the 25% reported there.

It looks like it is 37% of people have gotten at least one shot. But, the 25% is people who are fully vaccinated.

Alabama is about 43% behind the national average and Mississippi is about 47% behind the national average.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

haveblue posted:

Was this the time where someone fat-fingered a routine loan payment and accidentally sent half a billion dollars to the debtor?

yep, though it was more like three-quarters of a billion (citibank talked people who got $250m into returning it)

everyone thought it was going to turn on which party was stupider, the stupider party getting the half-billion (the hedge funds insisting they simply had no idea it was a mistake they got paid), but instead it turned on a long-forgotten doctrine that when a bank pays off a loan unless it is evident on the face of the payoff it's a mistake, finders keepers, regardless of how stupid everyone was