Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
I spent my first frustrating while getitng used to how things layed out and worked. its a frustrating control scheme. But after the first hiccups , and a break, i came back to it, "it clicked", and im quite digging it. Also its the first game of this style that has a truly pleasing art style that isnt astroneer ( which is not pleasing to play ).

Edit: Ill clarify on Astroneer, Astroneer is the Qwop of automation games. Its okay but its quickly frustrating and a shallow pool. Also no kick against Factorio. I love its spritework, its just..... its a bitter game sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I am extremely hooked. Since I discovered DSP I played little else for a month. I’ve started a new game recently (perhaps prematurely, with an update coming this month) and I’m right back in. Because of the low pressure and optimistic tone, this is just a cool smooth game to chill in. I love the scale and theme.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Talkc posted:

Its a frustrating control scheme.

Yeah this is my only issue with the game. Trying to build belts that use the Z-axis is really frustrating and annoying with how you try to extend it another square and it’ll completely reroute itself to a different destination.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

I think DSP is the easiest (or at least most convenient) of the factory-building games. Sorters are a straightforward point-to-point connection over 1-3 spaces, splitting/sorting/balancing functionality is everywhere, long-distance transport requires no infrastructure for the path and barely any infrastructure to load/unload, and multi z-level belts are never required but are always there if you slip up and need to fit a path where it would otherwise be blocked.

Factorio feels more Zachtronics-y in that there are difficult-to-master elements like side-loading, underground belts, and how inserters occupy physical space (and only the shortest ones can move fast or filter), and there's less "grease" like multi z-level belts that can make up for player mistakes.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
I know at least one blogger/influencer/whatever who loves Factorio but bounced right off this game (Shamus Young), but that's because he found it much too simple compared to Factorio, hated the machine-translation being for real voice acted and confusing him about the UI, and quit before he even got off world. You know, before the point where the game comes into its own unique thing.

Yet he spent a year trying to love Satisfactory. :shrug:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The only streamer I watch in the Factorio-like sphere is Nilaus, and he’s covered every possible facet of DSP that exists in its current state. His enthusiasm for the game is infectious.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
There are some pacing issues early but it's wonderfully chill and will let you go as crazy with throughput as you want.

PalaNIN
Sep 19, 2004

LRLRRRLLRRLRLRLRRLRLR

SettingSun posted:

The only streamer I watch in the Factorio-like sphere is Nilaus, and he’s covered every possible facet of DSP that exists in its current state. His enthusiasm for the game is infectious.

I learned so many QoL improvements from NIlaus's Let's Play - nothing major, just things that the game didn't explain explicitly. Stole a few designs like the polar hub concept which sped up the gameplay a fair bit.

Near the end of his LP he makes the point a few times that each build is just X inputs and Y outputs and the layout doesn't change too much which is true, and is why I find the late game a bit tedious. But the entire midgame (once you get interstellar logistics stations) I find incredibly enjoyable.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
Is the absorption rate of solar cells on a shell global to the shell itself, or just per node? I've got two rings of EM Cannons firing at the sphere, but I've only got a few of the completed regions designated as such, there seems to be ~45k sails consistently sitting in the swarm waiting to die. I just wanna know if I should just abandon all sense of aesthetics and designate all completed regions to minimize sail wastage, or if it straight up doesn't matter and the game just has a hard limit on how fast you complete the solar cell part of your spheres.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

Is the absorption rate of solar cells on a shell global to the shell itself, or just per node? I've got two rings of EM Cannons firing at the sphere, but I've only got a few of the completed regions designated as such, there seems to be ~45k sails consistently sitting in the swarm waiting to die. I just wanna know if I should just abandon all sense of aesthetics and designate all completed regions to minimize sail wastage, or if it straight up doesn't matter and the game just has a hard limit on how fast you complete the solar cell part of your spheres.

Only nodes attached to sections which you have marked as ready in the sphere designer will absorb sails. The more nodes, the more sails it will absorb.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

TehSaurus posted:

Only nodes attached to sections which you have marked as ready in the sphere designer will absorb sails. The more nodes, the more sails it will absorb.

So per node, got it, time to turn on a bunch of diamonds.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

How has the game progressed since release? I bounced off of it around the point where I was able to build the planet-wide distribution system because the translation was just a little too janky and I was struggling to figure out exactly how some of those systems worked.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

How has the game progressed since release? I bounced off of it around the point where I was able to build the planet-wide distribution system because the translation was just a little too janky and I was struggling to figure out exactly how some of those systems worked.

If those are your dealbreakers, then no, the game is pretty much the same. There's been no big feature update yet (although they say it's coming in the next few months), just bugfixes and a few welcome QOL changes, but nothing that addresses your issues. Most of the improvement in gameplay has come from mods, most notably the CopyInserter/Multibuild/Blueprint mod, but again nothing that would fix your issues.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

If those are your dealbreakers, then no, the game is pretty much the same. There's been no big feature update yet (although they say it's coming in the next few months), just bugfixes and a few welcome QOL changes, but nothing that addresses your issues. Most of the improvement in gameplay has come from mods, most notably the CopyInserter/Multibuild/Blueprint mod, but again nothing that would fix your issues.

Okay yeah, darn. I also heard they were planning on adding enemies and wanted to wait on that too but that sounds like it might still be a long way out

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Okay yeah, darn. I also heard they were planning on adding enemies and wanted to wait on that too but that sounds like it might still be a long way out

They haven't talked about combat or enemies as systems at all, yet (or at least such that it's been translated into English and relayed into the anglophone-net), but they mentioned the concept of some kind of opposing force so offhandedly, several times, when talking about elaborating on the systems which are in place right now, that it seems likely to be a priority for them.

Rather than the kind of bullet point on an EA title's major features list which might drop off before release, that is to say.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The pressure of combat is one thing that I really don't want in this game. I greatly enjoy how chill it is. If I want combat, I'll play tower defense in Factorio.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

SettingSun posted:

The pressure of combat is one thing that I really don't want in this game. I greatly enjoy how chill it is. If I want combat, I'll play tower defense in Factorio.

:agreed:

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Likewise. Especially if it isn't integrated from the beginning, it's even harder in that case to make combat that fits the flow of the game and doesn't detract. At that point I'd rather see other parts get focus instead.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I sate my combat thirst in DSP by bombarding the very sun itself

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

SettingSun posted:

I feel like the only way combat could work in this game is if it were just another logistical problem to solve that opens up new systems or something. Like say, you need to build progressively larger and larger combat ships as mini-projects to be able to get to systems without getting shot back to your home planet.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

SettingSun posted:

Or get chased by wild boars in Satisfactory.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Based on what we've seen so far, I'm cautiously optimistic that, if the DSP devs are planning to make some kind of combat system which can't just be switched off in game setup (or via mod), then it's going to be conceptually fitted into the game such that the playerbase which adores it in its current form won't loathe the system.

Satisfactory's 'uhh i guess there'll be...snake-spiders, plated rage hogs...uhhh...plasma dogs?, or...murder...fireflies which can spawn in places to provide an obstacle?' system is for sure the most disappointing. If you're going to have that poo poo in, give us the option to build Rebar Gun turrets with belt inputs and, like, sub/hypersonic lures so that we can run past our bespoke killboxes every once in awhile in order to stock up on organs.

I'm for sure provisionally in favor of something like "instead of mining Organic Crystals on exoplanets, set up continent-scale ranches/xenomorph provocation apparatuses and feed them CyberHarnesses/ammo as supplies in addition to power in order to sweep up Organic Crystals."

Could also do planetary-scale space whaling with the option of producing Organic Crystals or half Organic Crystals half Refined Oil. Except the whales start damaging your harvesters, requiring a supply line of replacement parts (and implying, at least, the ability to share information across geographical and temporal distances like say via language?!?! rofl blots out ur home star). I'm pulling super hard for something which is conceptually cool or something which boils down to "expensive mining which looks cool and isn't as mind-numbing as placing and connecting mines.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
I remember how irritating biter attacks were in Factorio, and then trying to imagine dealing with them across several separate but linked factory maps, and it just seems so bad. I get annoyed enough when I have to drop what I'm doing and figure out why my science suddenly stopped in Bad Starter System land (oh look, the deuterium loop logjammed again), I can't imagine having to periodically warp from the rear end end of the cluster at the drop of a hat to stop my factory from getting mulched because the enemies grew past my defences' capacity to cope with again.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Dealing with anything in the current implementation of planets and interplanetary/intersystem travel is a nightmare.

Keep it localized and make it at least mostly automatable and it might be viable. I'd rather just have a pacifist game. Mech rancher sounds fun though...

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
I'd be fine with "produce X fleet assets to break the interstellar blockade around nearby stars but you don't have to defend it once you clear it"

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
If they just added a logistics step at the system level, so you had planet>system>interstellar I would consider the game complete

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Winged Orpheus posted:

I'd be fine with "produce X fleet assets to break the interstellar blockade around nearby stars but you don't have to defend it once you clear it"

Making the player an all-consuming horror subjugating and exploiting their way through a populated but non-aggressive galaxy would certainly be a vibe shift

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 19, 2021

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Making the player an all-consuming horror subjugating and exploiting their way through a populated but non-aggressive galaxy would certainly be a vibe shift

I don’t actually see it that way at all, I rather feel like I’m doing a Reverse Fern Gully on an interstellar scale even with the main form of life I’m destroying being trees, or giant fungi which yield wood when cleared.

It’s a very cheery and aspirational way to present being the embodiment of the all-consuming Big Bad of a sci-fi series, is how I’d put it.

(Let it be known that I will ruefully eat a fruit hat if combat in this on release isn’t at least past the low bar of Factorio with construction bots and automated repair packs supplied)

PalaNIN
Sep 19, 2004

LRLRRRLLRRLRLRLRRLRLR

Grevlek posted:

If they just added a logistics step at the system level, so you had planet>system>interstellar I would consider the game complete

Doesn't this already exist given that you need warpers to (effectively) manage logistics across multiple systems?

Planet = drones
System = vessels
Warpers = vessels with warpers

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
I've found lots of unintentional leaking, despite my best efforts to manage it in the way you've described. It makes it hard to have more than one star importing an input, and I've run into a few times where I'm loading up an ore, shipping it, that ore gets somewhere, and then gets shipped off to another site without getting used.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Grevlek posted:

One extra request - let system/interstellar toggle to only pull from gas giant extractors, please.
Priority system would be ideal but that alone would be nice for straightening out some systems.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

SkyeAuroline posted:

One extra request - let system/interstellar toggle to only pull from gas giant extractors, please.
Priority system would be ideal but that alone would be nice for straightening out some systems.

Totally agree. They probably need to take another pass at the gas harvesting system.

I'd be fine with an Extraction Dock, where you store vessels that are purposed for grabbing gas.

A few more high level control options and I'd be a happy camper.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Dev confirmation that the next update comes nezt week via the subreddit. Sauce.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The video they link isn't a blueprint mod though

I know that there's a language barrier here, but if they are misinterpreting "blueprint mod" as "copy sorter mod" , well I'm not going back to playing without blueprints.

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 21, 2021

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

zoux posted:

I know that there's a language barrier here, but if they are misinterpreting "blueprint mod" as "copy sorter mod" , well I'm not going back to playing without blueprints.

I'm holding off for a bit myself, but real blueprints will hopefully be coming. For now even "just" a mass-build option like this is a huge QOL improvement for most users. Probably spent half my playtime on those damned offset sorters.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

zoux posted:

Pretty sure what they are saying is "We have implemented quick copying of sorters, we know that blueprints are what you really want but it's not ready yet and we will put it out as soon as possible."

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

I'm kind of looking forward to the prospect of a reset. I think copy sorters would do fine for early game, honestly!

That said I might not play another round until there's some new recipes or systems. It doesn't sound like either will be part of this update.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Honestly I haven't found a single game that's held my attention since I quit playing DSP a couple of weeks ago and I was kind of putting off -but looking forward to -going back after the patch, so hopefully that BP mod is pretty quick. Since one dude outside the dev team was able to put together a flawless BP mod that integrated seamlessly with the game, it doesn't seem like it's that big of a lift

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

zoux posted:

Honestly I haven't found a single game that's held my attention since I quit playing DSP a couple of weeks ago and I was kind of putting off -but looking forward to -going back after the patch, so hopefully that BP mod is pretty quick. Since one dude outside the dev team was able to put together a flawless BP mod that integrated seamlessly with the game, it doesn't seem like it's that big of a lift

looking forward to satisfactory getting completed so I can do another playthrough, same with DSP, but I worry that I'll still be burnt out when that happens, like with factorio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I'm sure the modders will have a working fix for the bp mod within 4-6 hours of the patch being released.