Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I've been hopelessly addicted to Evolve at work.

It's really nice to have a script though. It's such a load off not having to manually do military and espionage stuff, as well as just letting it play itself during the civilization phase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

skooma512 posted:

I've been hopelessly addicted to Evolve at work.

It's really nice to have a script though. It's such a load off not having to manually do military and espionage stuff, as well as just letting it play itself during the civilization phase.

Not going to lie, that one left me bored pretty quickly. Not because it's bad, but because the micro managing the military and espionage just took too much time without being interesting. Press button, wait for both too long to repeat and too short for the gains, repeat. If there's a way to automate that to even just repeat the same settings, then I'm going to take a second look.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Jhet posted:

Not going to lie, that one left me bored pretty quickly. Not because it's bad, but because the micro managing the military and espionage just took too much time without being interesting. Press button, wait for both too long to repeat and too short for the gains, repeat. If there's a way to automate that to even just repeat the same settings, then I'm going to take a second look.

https://github.com/TMVictor/Evolve-Scripting-Edition/

Agreed on the military and espionage bit. Way too much manual input for something so rote. The tampermonkey script is set out in like modules so you can automate what you want, how you want, even if you only want it to manage the war bits.

Note that the "Scripting Edition" is deprecated, but that page gives you instructions on how to install the Vollch script you'll use instead.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

skooma512 posted:

https://github.com/TMVictor/Evolve-Scripting-Edition/

Agreed on the military and espionage bit. Way too much manual input for something so rote. The tampermonkey script is set out in like modules so you can automate what you want, how you want, even if you only want it to manage the war bits.

Note that the "Scripting Edition" is deprecated, but that page gives you instructions on how to install the Vollch script you'll use instead.

Cool, thanks for the link. I opened up the game and found a save for it that still works, so maybe this will help get me past the annoying bit so my Shroom people will have a chance in the world before I destroy them all.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
military and espionage get way less involved as you gain plasmids and mastery. if i'm not doing gold star runs the only interaction i need with that panel is buying enough spies to purchase the territories outright, no espionage necessary

the bigger issue i'm having now is research, since it's tedious to queue up all of the technologies in each run when they're down to a few hours long each. a building autobuyer would probably break the game, but i would at least like a research autoqueue to spare my poor arthritic hands some unnecessary clicking

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Venuz Patrol posted:

military and espionage get way less involved as you gain plasmids and mastery. if i'm not doing gold star runs the only interaction i need with that panel is buying enough spies to purchase the territories outright, no espionage necessary

the bigger issue i'm having now is research, since it's tedious to queue up all of the technologies in each run when they're down to a few hours long each. a building autobuyer would probably break the game, but i would at least like a research autoqueue to spare my poor arthritic hands some unnecessary clicking

It has that functionality too, I have it just researching whatever, all I have to do is make the knowledge cap go up.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
I've been playing a bunch of ISEPS on my phone the last week, it's got a pretty decent gameplay loop but it's unfortunately next to unplayable unless you buy the 5 dollar no-ads pack.

The rest of the IAP is insanely overpriced but they throw premium currency at you like crazy just for playing normally so it's not horrendous unless you want to be at endgame Right Now Immediately.

I recently got a new phone so running it at max settings is very soothing in an early 90s winamp visualization kind of way?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Ineptitude posted:

I am using the discord layouts in the 5x5 channel, been alternating between the seed focused and the spore focused one.

I fully admit my playstyle is part of the reason why it takes 4 days to reset, i check the game a couple of times a day at most so its basically a day between each tier of berry. That is fine by me, my problem with the game is that even after 6 resets nothing has really changed. There is no feeling that anything has sped up and i am not progressing further on reset 6 than i did on the first one

It gets automation but until you get auto upgrade it is slow and you will need to find time to sit down and check in every 10 minutes if you don't want it to take 6 months to get to automation.

I really did not like the game much until automation but it is really good and makes the game doable.

Oh I'm the challenges are not optional and one is plants decay instead of grow you have to plant every 10 minutes (takes like an hour to clear if you do it shortly after unlocking)

Maybe someone has a save for you with that stuff it's really bullshit how much the games time commitment changes with challenges complete.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 14, 2021

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Anyone else playing Perfect Tower 2? I'm finding it quite enjoyable.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Last I played it got increasingly incomprehensible starting around mt4 and I fell off the bandwagon entirely sometime in early infinity

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Just in case there are any other weirdos out there who run Steam on Linux and play idle games, yesterday I finally found a scriptable tool which lets you generate synthetic input events and send them to an arbitrary window (or group of windows, or all windows) versus the focused window: xdotool.

An example of buying upgrades in Time Clickers:
pre:
xdotool search --name "Time Clickers" type --delay 50 --window %1 "gfdsa"
The manpage is pretty comprehensive.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Trimps has apparently had a patch and has updated to v5.5 with stuff for Universe 2 (whatever that is)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Oldstench posted:

i played it for a little while but eventually had no idea how to progress and interact with all the systems and i stopped caring

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Oldstench posted:

It's a whole lot of fun until you get to the very final Military Tier, at which point the amount of work you have to put in to do anything is beyond the time I'm willing to spend.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I've been trying out Synergism for a few days, and I feel some kind of way about it. I've been sort of pinballing at random between spinning plates and I guess that's a thing, but it's relatively obtuse at times what the relationship between the plates is, which toggles I should have on and off, and if I'm actually making progress. Having everything spread out between 20 screens, having SAVING YOUR GAME be a core, but unexplained, mechanic, having stuff hidden behind mousovers, none of this helps. I'm kinda just treading water waiting for green frags and I've got everything set pretty ok I hope, but it looks like it's gonna be a couple of days of just sitting here with nothing to do and I'm rapidly losing interest.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Toshimo posted:

I've been trying out Synergism for a few days, and I feel some kind of way about it. I've been sort of pinballing at random between spinning plates and I guess that's a thing, but it's relatively obtuse at times what the relationship between the plates is, which toggles I should have on and off, and if I'm actually making progress. Having everything spread out between 20 screens, having SAVING YOUR GAME be a core, but unexplained, mechanic, having stuff hidden behind mousovers, none of this helps. I'm kinda just treading water waiting for green frags and I've got everything set pretty ok I hope, but it looks like it's gonna be a couple of days of just sitting here with nothing to do and I'm rapidly losing interest.

I flailed around and figured something that would work until I got to the cube and cube unlocks labeled alpha and beta. They require you to do some really obtuse stuff to break a few long standing mechanics to completely break the game. (My guess is someone figured it out when it was intended as a wall while new content was made and completed it early so that just became the way to do it).

There's supposed to be a revamp to smooth out early game to help people more easily get to end game.

Once I get frustrated with an idle game I go check the Discord for some help and see if I can take it from there after going oh poo poo I never would have thought to do that! Like who would drive their car down the highway at 100MPH and think that would get them 10,000 times better results but it does! (obviously not an actual game mechanic don't want to spoil people working through the game as a puzzle).

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

pixaal posted:

I flailed around and figured something that would work until I got to the cube and cube unlocks labeled alpha and beta. They require you to do some really obtuse stuff to break a few long standing mechanics to completely break the game. (My guess is someone figured it out when it was intended as a wall while new content was made and completed it early so that just became the way to do it).

There's supposed to be a revamp to smooth out early game to help people more easily get to end game.

Once I get frustrated with an idle game I go check the Discord for some help and see if I can take it from there after going oh poo poo I never would have thought to do that! Like who would drive their car down the highway at 100MPH and think that would get them 10,000 times better results but it does! (obviously not an actual game mechanic don't want to spoil people working through the game as a puzzle).

Yeah, I got all the way up to unlocking the first row of platonic upgrades without assistance in Synergism. Then there was a wall so I checked discord. Except now there's basically only one way to play and push into the next rows of upgrades and they require using the mechanics in unintuitive ways. So I'm about checked out on it. You shouldn't have to trick the game into letting you gain the currency you need to trick the game into letting you do something else. The worst part of it is that you can't use all the researches in these late game builds, because the only way to gain cube currencies is to nerf them into the ground and jump through 3 hoops to pull off the trick. Just not fun gameplay there.

The beginnings of the game and while you're unlocking the different cubes was fun and easy enough to figure out by trying different things, so it's worth a play up until there if you like that sort of game (unless you're a completionist, in which case maybe think twice).

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Jhet posted:

Yeah, I got all the way up to unlocking the first row of platonic upgrades without assistance in Synergism. Then there was a wall so I checked discord. Except now there's basically only one way to play and push into the next rows of upgrades and they require using the mechanics in unintuitive ways. So I'm about checked out on it. You shouldn't have to trick the game into letting you gain the currency you need to trick the game into letting you do something else. The worst part of it is that you can't use all the researches in these late game builds, because the only way to gain cube currencies is to nerf them into the ground and jump through 3 hoops to pull off the trick. Just not fun gameplay there.

The beginnings of the game and while you're unlocking the different cubes was fun and easy enough to figure out by trying different things, so it's worth a play up until there if you like that sort of game (unless you're a completionist, in which case maybe think twice).

Yeah turns into a slog where the dev clearly had real life issues and someone found a way to brute force the wall down and instead of back porting a real solution everyone just rolled with it. (kinda common in idle games). Once you break through Beta, the current end game is a joke and takes a week to get to the Omega wall. Which is looking to be planned as the ending so I'm planning to see where this goes. Dev sounds like he's having an awful time with real life right now.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

pixaal posted:

Yeah turns into a slog where the dev clearly had real life issues and someone found a way to brute force the wall down and instead of back porting a real solution everyone just rolled with it. (kinda common in idle games). Once you break through Beta, the current end game is a joke and takes a week to get to the Omega wall. Which is looking to be planned as the ending so I'm planning to see where this goes. Dev sounds like he's having an awful time with real life right now.

That’s all fair, but it’s too bad. I have no problems with 12-24hr runs or anything, but the ‘solution’ is just futzy. I’m at the point where SD8 should be what I use, but I don’t have the time to go sit down and mess with manual stuff after an hour or two because the automation upgrades don’t work when time doesn’t tick.

It was fun though until then and much better than a lot of other idle/incrementals.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I was playing some Trimps and unlocked another biome with a description "Your scientists are pissed". I don't why but I'm laughing my rear end off.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Hey all, I'm picking my way through what feels like midgame in Matter Dimensions. I've got all of the Dimensional upgrades that are under 20k shards, picked up the 666 achievement for some boosted production, and I now no longer know what the way forward is- I have a pretty good loop that gives me about 900 shards per run, but the next upgrades are all 100k+ and I can't really push my shard gain over 1200. Is there some core upgrade or mechanic that I'm missing here? Do I just crank shards until I can blast the temperature system into high gear?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Your next step is Breaking Infinity. You need 26 Space Theorems and the "1024 bits is not enough" achievement as a minimum. To get enough Space Theorems, you will want to take a different path in Vacuumic the first tri-split take the left so that you can temporarily pump 3rd Matter Dimensions higher than your usual. Then you reset your tree to what has been working for you earlier.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Antimatter Dimensions was fun, and then I hit that one infinity challenge, and then all the guides to make that infinity challenge work didn't work, and then I stopped it. :goleft:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I really feel like I'd dig Wizard and Minion Idle if I had a tablet but it just feels too fiddly on my phone.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Somfin posted:

Hey all, I'm picking my way through what feels like midgame in Matter Dimensions. I've got all of the Dimensional upgrades that are under 20k shards, picked up the 666 achievement for some boosted production, and I now no longer know what the way forward is- I have a pretty good loop that gives me about 900 shards per run, but the next upgrades are all 100k+ and I can't really push my shard gain over 1200. Is there some core upgrade or mechanic that I'm missing here? Do I just crank shards until I can blast the temperature system into high gear?

You got further than I could manage. I closed it earlier today out of annoyance with having to micromanage content I’d already gone through for the 70th time.

I think I just have issues with games that have auto-buy mechanics, but then make you constantly rebuy them. Not much of an automatic purchase when you have to keep purchasing it (unless it’s automatically purchased too).

Just give me 10-15 minutes of setting up a run actively, then don’t make me sit there and micro it for 3 hours to progress at all. If I wanted to play a game actively, I’ll go play a game that’s active. Otherwise what’s the point of it being incremental when you keep losing the QoL upgrades constantly.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Pope Guilty posted:

I really feel like I'd dig Wizard and Minion Idle if I had a tablet but it just feels too fiddly on my phone.

Honestly I'm playing WAMI on phone and I feel like the interface largely works pretty well.

There are a few things that are a bit too small but it's working pretty nicely overall.

magicalblender
Sep 29, 2007
In NGU Industries, what causes new items to appear in the Work Orders' Upgrades menu? I've had Candy Jello 2 unlocked for about a week now, but the most recent upgrade is "Improve Candy Jello 1 production". Does it have something to do with the ISOPOD?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

magicalblender posted:

In NGU Industries, what causes new items to appear in the Work Orders' Upgrades menu? I've had Candy Jello 2 unlocked for about a week now, but the most recent upgrade is "Improve Candy Jello 1 production". Does it have something to do with the ISOPOD?

Huh, how far are you into the ISOPOD, because I am almost at candy 3, and I don't have the Jello 1 production upgrade.

Edit: I am at level 383 for reference

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

magicalblender posted:

Unlocking a new map tier does it. In candy and later doing so only gives limited research and floppy discs, and not much for your most recently unlocked level either. So the only way to speed up progress is to tag your highest tier and pray for juice production breakthroughs.

I'm the meantime, pump lab power, bdsm gain, and elementium gain from floppies, breakthroughs, farming and relics. Isopod is ok for passive gains and that's about it.

JTDistortion
Mar 28, 2010

Jhet posted:

Except now there's basically only one way to play and push into the next rows of upgrades and they require using the mechanics in unintuitive ways.

I have been going through Synergism on my own and I'm a bit curious as to what you're referring to. I don't remember hitting any sort of wall that felt like it needed unintuitive solutions; it was all just messing around with corruption setups to see what I could handle.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

JTDistortion posted:

I have been going through Synergism on my own and I'm a bit curious as to what you're referring to. I don't remember hitting any sort of wall that felt like it needed unintuitive solutions; it was all just messing around with corruption setups to see what I could handle.

It’s a ways into corruption stuff. The beginnings of it were great. You can mess around and try stuff out and just play the game. The part I’m referring to is post alpha platonic upgrades when it slows down and the numbers start to balloon. I just let it run the last week in a cube grind and while I had enough to buy stuff on row 2, I then needed to also grind offerings and obtanium just to buy it.

That’s with a set and forget build. The builds they push in the discord have you messing with things after an hour or three just to get it set up to produce what you need. This is not awesome to me, but it seems this is the part that was brute forced and the dev hasn’t had time to fix because life. So I have no problem with that, but it makes it a bummer to play for me.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

You can slam your head into most of the walls and chip away at them the long way. The Discord is just the soonest you can do it.

Play how you find fun

JTDistortion
Mar 28, 2010
I guess I just kinda blew past those walls without really noticing too much. Synergism has been the sort of game that I just poke once a day for quite a while, so doing long runs didn't really feel like anything particularly unusual.

magicalblender
Sep 29, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Huh, how far are you into the ISOPOD, because I am almost at candy 3, and I don't have the Jello 1 production upgrade.

Edit: I am at level 383 for reference

I might be a little ahead of you, because I already have candy 3, and I'm saving up for candy 4. My ISOPOD level is 311. I've been picking up military power upgrades from the breakthroughs menu when I see one that looks like a good value, but I've pretty much been neglecting it otherwise.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

pump lab power, bdsm gain, and elementium gain from floppies, breakthroughs, farming and relics. Isopod is ok for passive gains and that's about it.

Sensible advice. If I pick up all the nickel-and-dime upgrades available to me, it should provide a considerable boost. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious first.

magicalblender fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 22, 2021

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
NGU: I've finished off all the drops from Evil and I'm maybe a week out from being able to push my x7 Pendant to x8. Are there any must-have Perks and Quirks and Wishes to do before moving on to Sad?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

noooo wishes have an inviolable time requirement

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

curse you...4g!

curse you...zelda!!

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Pope Guilty posted:

NGU: I've finished off all the drops from Evil and I'm maybe a week out from being able to push my x7 Pendant to x8. Are there any must-have Perks and Quirks and Wishes to do before moving on to Sad?

When you first get into Sad buy the Welcome to Sadistic and Card Recycling perks and the Chonkers and Mayo Recycling quirks. I wouldn't worry about much else other than that. I focused on all the quick card tier perk wishes when I first started Sad because everything else took a ton of time but it's already starting to speed up and I just finished the first adventure zone.

EDIT: Oh and do as many sadistic challenges with rewards as you can stomach ASAP, especially troll 2

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Aurora posted:

noooo wishes have an inviolable time requirement

4hrs is skightly violable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
NGU

For people on the other end of things who are nearing the end of the game, be aware that Hacks have a maximum level. If you put R3 into leveling that hack, the progress bar will fill and reset, but the level will stay the same. You can set the target level for your hack higher than it or even use the little milestone (+) button to target a milestone higher than is actually possible.

This is a problem if you're leveling hacks because it will not progress to the next hack, so if you ate a bunch of gamma R3 potions and left your PC on over the weekend, that would suck.

So what is the max level? It's apparently a secret, because the game doesn't seem to tell me. And it's different between hacks. My page 1 hacks capped between 7700 and 7200. My page 2s from the 7000-6700s.

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 23, 2021