Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/MarioDParker/status/1394729777832079360

What is up with that paint job, are they trying to prevent WWI Uboats from getting accurate firing solutions

At least he actually knows how to drive a truck, unlike his predecessor President Toot Toot McTonka Truck who just sat in one and pretended to drive it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Failed Imagineer posted:

Granted, but using insanely derogatory language about your client is meant to facilitate the defence somehow? In a more normal country it might be grounds for being disbarred

Did you think the Q shaman would hire a good lawyer?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

zoux posted:

What is up with that paint job, are they trying to prevent WWI Uboats from getting accurate firing solutions

Joke all you want but not a single Ford Lightning has been sent to the bottom of the Atlantic

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Failed Imagineer posted:

Granted, but using insanely derogatory language about your client is meant to facilitate the defence somehow? In a more normal country it might be grounds for being disbarred

technically he's using that language mostly about his clients' co-defendants and not his client. it's certainly not the way i would execute that strategy though.

when it comes to disbarment it's basically impossible to get disbarred unless you comingle funds (i.e. put your client's money in your own bank account) or have sex with your client

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

SpartanIvy posted:

Joke all you want but not a single Ford Lightning has been sent to the bottom of the Atlantic

This is where John DeLorean went wrong then

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

zoux posted:

Hold on a new challenger for most credulous appears

https://twitter.com/nytimesworld/status/1393959463581888517

don't ask about what her father used the dobermans for

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

White House is having meetings with Senate Democrats to convince a few Senators to sign onto a modified D.C. statehood bill. This one would require the D.C. electoral college voters appointed by the 23rd amendment (which would be elected by basically just the President and his or her family if D.C. became a state and got its own electoral college voters) to give their votes to the winner of the national popular vote.

This is a minor thing that probably won't lead anywhere, but does show that this is the first time a President has been actively engaged with D.C. statehood.

Also, this is the first time the White House has explicitly backed changes to the electoral college (even though they are relatively minor).

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/13/us/politics/biden-dc-statehood.html

I may be misunderstanding this, but the bolded part seems like a really bad idea. It sounds like it would lead to DC votes always going in favor of the sitting president. Unless DC ends up forbidding faithless electors.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

evilweasel posted:

when it comes to disbarment it's basically impossible to get disbarred unless you comingle funds (i.e. put your client's money in your own bank account) or have sex with your client

Man, the ABA is a fucken buzzkill

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Velocity Raptor posted:

I may be misunderstanding this, but the bolded part seems like a really bad idea. It sounds like it would lead to DC votes always going in favor of the sitting president. Unless DC ends up forbidding faithless electors.

It would if they don't abolish the 23rd amendment. That's why the plan they are discussing is to require the electoral votes under the 23rd amendment to go to the winner of the national popular vote.

That would prevent the problem of the President and his family being able to vote for all D.C.'s electors.

They need a constitutional amendment to get rid of the 23rd and they don't think 3/4 of the states would do it (because many Republican states want to keep the problem to make D.C. statehood harder or to give them legal challenges to stop D.C. statehood). This is a way to sidestep the issue.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

evilweasel posted:

technically he's using that language mostly about his clients' co-defendants and not his client. it's certainly not the way i would execute that strategy though.

Which is why it's so crazy that they just disbarred a former Dallas prosecutor for withholding exculpatory evidence in a capital murder trial.

I know prosecutors suck and people are always like "how can defense attorneys defend someone they know is guilty" but continuing to prosecute people you know to be innocent is perverse.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

zoux posted:

Hold on a new challenger for most credulous appears

https://twitter.com/nytimesworld/status/1393959463581888517

Yeah but what do they think about professional cat breeders in this diner in Amiens

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Velocity Raptor posted:

the proposal is instead of the residents of DC (who under this proposal should be, basically, just the president) voting on the DC electors, they are given to the winner of the popular vote. the 23rd just says congress can pass a law on how those electors are selected, it doesn't require a vote of DC residents (much like the constitution doesn't require a vote for the selection of any electors)

the "just give them to the winner of the popular vote" idea was so obvious i assumed that was always the plan but apparently the old proposal, which was dumb, was "just don't assign any electors at all"

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
E: Nm, I'm still dumb, apparently. I need to research the 23rd amendment.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

nine-gear crow posted:

At least he actually knows how to drive a truck, unlike his predecessor President Toot Toot McTonka Truck who just sat in one and pretended to drive it.

An F-150 isn't the same class of vehicle that Donnie went toot toot in. Trump was in a semi, iirc. Not that I believe Trump has driven any vehicle beyond a golf cart in decades.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

evilweasel posted:

Didn't Jack Thompson manage to get himself disbarred?
God what a blast from the past that is. I haven't thought about him in ages.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Velocity Raptor posted:

You've misread it. If the district were shrunk down to just the White Houst and Capitol Building, the idea is the president and his family would be the only residents. The solution is to automatically assign the district's electoral votes to the national popular vote winner.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Yes, because he kept violating SLAPP laws and judge's orders.

Making multiple federal judges angry by doing exactly what they said not to do 7 or 8 times in a row is a good way to get in trouble.

He also harassed a bunch of clients and other lawyers in writing. If you are going to do illegal or unethical things, you definitely shouldn't do them in writing and then give them to people who are mad at you.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 18, 2021

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Morrow posted:

You've misread it. If the district were shrunk down to just the White Houst and Capitol Building, the idea is the president and his family would be the only residents. The solution is to automatically assign the district's electoral votes to the national popular vote winner.

Ah, ok. Now I understand it. Thanks everyone.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Yes, because he kept violating SLAPP laws and judge's orders.

Making multiple federal judges angry by doing exactly what they said not to do 7 or 8 time in a row is a good way to get in trouble.

That, and also pursuing a crazy vendetta against the state courts and bar association

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Glass of Milk posted:

A politician out of the womb? That's running as the ultimate insider.

mmmm there's a another highe rlevel of inside.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

a long history of pissing off judges can eventually get you disbarred, but even when it happens it's about ten pissed off judges more than you'd think was enough

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Now watch this drive.

https://twitter.com/SebastianAFP/status/1394730794460065794?s=07

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Pelosi joined a bunch of other Senators and Representatives in calling for the U.S. and U.S. corporations to boycott the 2022 Olympics.

The State Department has already said that it is open to some kind of boycott, but that it would only be a diplomatic and economic boycott and they had ruled out any chance of a 1980-style boycott that prevents athletes from going.

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/pelosi-says-us-should-diplomatically-boycott-2022-olympics-china-2021-05-18/

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I would love to live in a world where DC just includes the president’s family and we have a constitutional crisis because they didn’t fill out their ballots and we don’t know how to assign electoral votes when there are zero votes cast.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Ethiser posted:

I would love to live in a world where DC just includes the president’s family and we have a constitutional crisis because they didn’t fill out their ballots and we don’t know how to assign electoral votes when there are zero votes cast.
Don't lie to yourself

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I checked out Jack Thompson’s Wikipedia page to see what he might be up to these days

quote:

In an April 2016 interview with Inverse, Thompson stated that he was teaching civics classes to inmates in the Florida prison system

I know the US has pretty much embraced cruel and unusual punishment of prisoners, but even so this seems beyond the pale

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Biden being in Dearborn is dangerous... for the protestors, because there will be increased police presence, and police love to hurt people and if the president is there they give themselves more false justification

Love to have a president who jokes about killing people who question him.

https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/1394732254983856134?s=20

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Biden what the hell? You're joking but dude. Those are your constituents.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

zoux posted:

Bootleg Trunks posted:

https://twitter.com/abierkhatib/status/1394730503375314946?s=20
E: beaten on the Viser tweet

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

KitConstantine posted:

If it's an upcoming model the paint job is to disguise any of the body features/detailing so they don't leak prior to release

zoux posted:

Oh so it is a sort of dazzle camo. Interesting.

thats neat.

also what is this driving crap, I demand my doom and gloom world.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

PhazonLink posted:

thats neat.

He just gave it to you with that quote about running people over. That's some callous poo poo.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

I've some good? news for you

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

He said he was just kidding about wanting to murder those that question him, which is a marked improvement from the last president.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
If it was trump doing this poo poo everyone itt would be hooting at the clownshow

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

He said he was just kidding about wanting to murder those that question him, which is a marked improvement from the last president.

Unfortunately he is not kidding about being cool with the murder of children in Gaza, however.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

RZA Encryption posted:

What a world, what a world

Biden what would you gain from saying that?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i don't know why people have to psych themselves up about the decorum of a glib joke when the joke is intended to deflect from our open support of crimes against humanity

like, there's already something very worthy of righteous indignation, why do you have to work yourself up over something stupid

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Its funny because some places want to legalize running over protesters haha only joking though guys haha

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

It's his way of saying that he is at best utterly indifferent to the murder of children and that he has open contempt for anyone who challenges this policy position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

"I am at best utterly indifferent to the murder of children and have open contempt for anyone who challenges this policy position."
That's a good av quote.