Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I can't believe Jim Kirk and the crew of the Enterprise have to stop that giant Star Trek IV logo before it destroys San Francisco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I have full faith that the poster was done with zero knowledge of the plot and as cheaply as possible to not have to pay an artist to try to capture the actors faces.

Then when they finally did the poster with the faces… well…

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
Everytime I think "do I really want to rewatch Time's Arrow" I remember the scene where they're reading A Midsummer Night's Dream and it feels like a covert Gargoyles audition and yes, yes I do want to rewatch it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

V-Men posted:

Everytime I think "do I really want to rewatch Time's Arrow" I remember the scene where they're reading A Midsummer Night's Dream and it feels like a covert Gargoyles audition and yes, yes I do want to rewatch it.

The only reason they didn't get P.Stew on Gargoyles was because Disney's TV animation department at the time literally could not afford to pay him for a role on the show.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

The only reason they didn't get P.Stew on Gargoyles was because Disney's TV animation department at the time literally could not afford to pay him for a role on the show.

He'll do animation now! Sounds like it's time for a new series!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZINX-MNL_8

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
Brent Spiner was even reading as Puck

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I showed my girlfriend Time's Arrow to finally explain why I imitate Samuel Clemens' bizarre "HAAAROOM HA HOOOO HARMMMMM"

Her review of epic season ending cliffhanger episode two-parter was simply: "...okay?"

Still better than Descent. Which wasn't even decent.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I bet the original version of that where the saucer crashes and the subsequent final season afterwards would have been lit for 93/94. In that universe, TNG gets a sort of refresh and runs concurrently with DS9 while Voyager and the movies never get made

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I'm glad the DS9 and Voy movies never got made.
Imagine how bad they would gently caress them up.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It would just be Picard, Sisko, and Janeway all driving specialized dune buggies that can connect into a giant Gundam to punch Romulans/racism/time loops into oblivion.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

No part of that sounds bad

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Janeway would be driving over the skulls of a race that offended her of course. Sisko would ram Picard's dune buggy over and Picard would silently look depressed as Sisko sped away.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Janeway's movies would take over after Nemesis. She would be upset that Picard actually survived and destroyed the Scimitar, so she has to destroy Earth herself, before launching her conquest of the Alpha Quadrant.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think one of the last big arcs of the Star Trek books was Janeway getting assimilated during some huge Borg invasion (they finally send more than 1 ship) so close enough.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

HD DAD posted:

It would just be Picard, Sisko, and Janeway all driving specialized dune buggies that can connect into a giant Gundam to punch Romulans/racism/time loops into oblivion.

Sounds more enjoyable than Nemesis.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Kibayasu posted:

I think one of the last big arcs of the Star Trek books was Janeway getting assimilated during some huge Borg invasion (they finally send more than 1 ship) so close enough.
If I recall it was one super cube that had ‘evolved’ to absorb people and even objects

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Tighclops posted:

I bet the original version of that where the saucer crashes and the subsequent final season afterwards would have been lit for 93/94. In that universe, TNG gets a sort of refresh and runs concurrently with DS9 while Voyager and the movies never get made

Did they ever talk about what the plan would have been for dealing with that cliffhanger? Since I can't imagine them doing much revamp of the sets and model for a single final season.

Saucer is wrecked and replaced with a new identical copy? Somehow manages to be salvaged and reattached?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I imagine it would've been a controlled emergency landing that the saucer would've survived. That said, a new identical Galaxy saucer isn't implausible.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 19, 2021

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Senor Tron posted:

Did they ever talk about what the plan would have been for dealing with that cliffhanger? Since I can't imagine them doing much revamp of the sets and model for a single final season.

Saucer is wrecked and replaced with a new identical copy? Somehow manages to be salvaged and reattached?
The foreshadowing text in the Tech Manual suggests the saucer would have been a loss, although they also say they had some partially built spaceframe parts for the Galaxy class in storage at Mars, presumably for just this kind of incident.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Senor Tron posted:

After Generations, ILM changed the registry on the photography model of the Galaxy-class Enterprise to read NCC-1701-E just in case the new Enterprise was going to be another Galaxy. I'm assuming it would be a similar situation for a hypothetical post-saucer crash continuation of TNG: the rest of the show would be set on the Galaxy-class Enterprise-E.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

FlamingLiberal posted:

If I recall it was one super cube that had ‘evolved’ to absorb people and even objects

Ah yes, Before Dishonor, one of the books leading up to the Destiny trilogy, and Peter David's last non-New Frontier Trek novel. A lot of fans deeply disliked that one, and I suspect that that reaction was a sign that Peter David's style no longer fit in with what people expected out of the novelverse.

Oh, and Janeway eventually got resurrected a few years after she was vaporized for some dumb reason and went on to have more dumb adventures.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Marshal Radisic posted:

Ah yes, Before Dishonor, one of the books leading up to the Destiny trilogy, and Peter David's last non-New Frontier Trek novel. A lot of fans deeply disliked that one, and I suspect that that reaction was a sign that Peter David's style no longer fit in with what people expected out of the novelverse.

Oh, and Janeway eventually got resurrected a few years after she was vaporized for some dumb reason and went on to have more dumb adventures.
Yes Before Dishonor was very bad and I'm glad that they got rid of the Borg not long after that so that they couldn't make them dumb as they did in that book

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

yes but how dumb was the method in which they got rid of the Borg?

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Well, I can't entirely say. On the one hand I buy the idea that a Borg invasion of known space would be so apocalyptic that the only way our heroes could win would be to find the godlike inadvertent creators of the collective and get them to wish the Borg into the cornfield. On the other hand the whole concept of the Destiny novels pretty much turns Star Trek into Marvel comics, and it reveals that humans are partially responsible for the creation of the Borg through a complicated series of events inspired by this picture from one of the Ships of the Line calendars.

Marshal Radisic fucked around with this message at 08:01 on May 19, 2021

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I'm impressed the nacelles remained attached during the crash. Starfleet Engineering has been top tier since the beginning.

Falathrim
May 7, 2007

I could shoot someone if it would make you feel better.

Wow I love Star Trek, but if it has any failings, it's definitely it's optimism for the future. Why can't it be as grimdark and as militaristic as all other sci-fi?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

8one6 posted:

I'm impressed the nacelles remained attached during the crash. Starfleet Engineering has been top tier since the beginning.

All the top tier engineers are allocated to making increasingly implausibly strong nacelle struts and anti-matter pods that can survive indefinitely without power, leaving the poo poo-tier engineers to literally just pour rocks into computer consoles to keep them busy.

edit: Although the fact they explode so easily doesn't make sense, the idea of bulkheads being full of rock-like substances has never really bothered me. It's not like they need to worry about the mass of these ships, fill every gap with heavy materials to block radiation in the event of emergencies.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hah, one of the things in Picard's archive is an award from Betazed:

And it has a little betazoid logo there. Except the Betazoids never had an emblem. The logo there is one made up by a fan for the Betazoids in a videogame mod, and presumably the set decorators google image searched 'betazoid symbol', saw that, and went 'yep okay'.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

MikeJF posted:

And it has a little betazoid logo there. Except the Betazoids never had an emblem. The logo there is one made up by a fan for the Betazoids in a videogame mod, and presumably the set decorators google image searched 'betazoid symbol', saw that, and went 'yep okay'.

“Betazed Loyalty” sounds like this is the award they give you when you get 500k points on your BetazedMart Discount Card.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

lol oh Gene

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

MikeJF posted:

That happened on a display prop for justice league too for the league of shadows. (Didn't appear on screen in that case)

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I thought there was another kinda high-profile case of some uncredited “oops we stole something from google images we shouldn’t have” art ending up in a TV series, but for the life of me I can’t remember what it was.

e: wanna say it was something like Doctor Who or Agents of SHIELD.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

That's Gene "waves and waves of cum" Roddenberry :colbert:

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Kibayasu posted:

Didn't they all get assimilated in some Voyager two parter but it turned out they took a nanomachine vaccine before hand so it wore off

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Feldegast42 posted:

Didn't they all get assimilated in some Voyager two parter but it turned out they took a nanomachine vaccine before hand so it wore off

Not entirely, it was just an inoculation to prevent them from being subsumed into The Collective, I'm pretty sure they had to have the borg parts surgically removed afterward still

Fortunately I guess none of them were selected for the "hack your arm off and get it replaced with a claw" option.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Unimatrix Zero is a really dumb two parter

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Unimatrix Zero is a really dumb two parter concept

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Angry_Ed posted:

That's Gene "waves and waves of cum" Roddenberry :colbert:

Any Star Trek that isn't disquietingly, existentially horny dishonours Gene's Vision.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Lexx was the true TNG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

HD DAD posted:

I thought there was another kinda high-profile case of some uncredited “oops we stole something from google images we shouldn’t have” art ending up in a TV series, but for the life of me I can’t remember what it was.

e: wanna say it was something like Doctor Who or Agents of SHIELD.

There was that time a German TV news channel used a Maquis SEAL Team Six logo with a loving phaser and Klingon skull on it for the, you know, actual SEAL Team Six.