Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

MeruFM posted:

Yes, but they don’t allow the upgraded seat option which is only available on the bigger ones. That’s the big feature I/my gf want, thigh extenders and good lumbar support.

It’s not a big deal, I just noticed after playing with configurators thinking it should be possible. When the seats are already powered and in the case of volvo/audi, seem to have identical base seats across the line.

tldr, they’re not taking my money

Congrats on your new Macan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
late 2019 i paid not very much money at all for the Alltrack and if flightless greeb is any indication i could sell it back for about that much money, 2/12k later

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
That Corolla hatchback looks great, will be super reliable, and will be terminally boring.

But if the Gazoo version comes......:getin:

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
I like the base honda civic hatchback a lot, the steering feels better than anything else comparable, mazda 3 hatchback not withstanding. And I don't consider them in the same class bc the civic has like 2x as much space.

Residency Evil posted:

Congrats on your new Macan!
Oh wow there's options for days

quote:

Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) $1,170
:smugjones: :supaburn:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I probably would have been all over the base Civic hatch if it had the K series in it, but I avoided it because of the turbo motor issues. Maybe it would have been fine I don't know, but i didn't want to deal with any bullshit on a brand new car.

The sedan was great but was a big compromise for me not to have a hatch and spend that much money. I use the poo poo out of the cargo area of my xB now, so it's a good thing i didn't get the sedan. If the Civic hatch was NA it would probably be in my driveway right now.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I probably would have been all over the base Civic hatch if it had the K series in it, but I avoided it because of the turbo motor issues. Maybe it would have been fine I don't know, but i didn't want to deal with any bullshit on a brand new car.

The sedan was great but was a big compromise for me not to have a hatch and spend that much money. I use the poo poo out of the cargo area of my xB now, so it's a good thing i didn't get the sedan. If the Civic hatch was NA it would probably be in my driveway right now.

what did you end up getting?

Like you, I'd prefer NA for a new car. Part of the corolla with manual is that it will probably be very reliable. I've got a fun car. The used market is what's driving the idea to sell the 4runner and get a fuel efficient & reliable econobox with a warranty. Sellers market.

We have a lot more due diligence to do in the coming weeks.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Kraftwerk posted:

How would you compare it to a Golf R or a CLA (including it’s AMG variant)

On a side note I find the value prop of the CLA,GLA and A class to be kinda weird. Like unless you’re trying to get the cheapest possible Mercedes with the badge the price point can inflate to the point that you’re better served by buying a 3 series or even an S4.

I have a Mazda3 Turbo…I have never driven a CLA AMG or Golf R, but broadly speaking it’s very much NOT a sports car.

I pretty much agree with Godzilla; it’s extremely possible to have fun in this car, and I very much enjoy driving it, but it’s never going to feel “zippy” in the same way that a GTI/GLI or Veloster N would.

It’s general composure is more comparable to that of a premium compact- think Volvo C30/S40/V50, 228i Grand Coupe, A220, etc. It’s not a car that really begs you to push it to it’s limits, but at the same time it feels satisfying and planted in corners.

It’s also important to note that aside from the engine, everything is identical to a normal Mazda3. Really the only other difference is that the front suspension spring rates are higher, but this is just to deal with the additional mass of the turbo engine. So it’s not like a GLI where you get “sportier” suspension/handling components compared to a normal Jetta.

The engine is great, it’s by far the smoothest 4 cylinder that I’ve ever driven and the toque is really impressive between 2k-5k RPM.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

MeruFM posted:

I like the base honda civic hatchback a lot, the steering feels better than anything else comparable, mazda 3 hatchback not withstanding. And I don't consider them in the same class bc the civic has like 2x as much space.

Oh wow there's options for days

:smugjones: :supaburn:

Yes the Germans refusing to put ACC as standard is one of my biggest grievances with them. You can get that poo poo in any piece of garbage Corolla rolling off the line, but they still charge extra on a $100k wealth signaling appliance. It's total and complete profiteering anti-customer bullshit.

It's also probably delaying the start of true self driving innovation because they will all be options and normal consumers will take forever to adopt.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Inner Light posted:

Yes the Germans refusing to put ACC as standard is one of my biggest grievances with them. You can get that poo poo in any piece of garbage Corolla rolling off the line, but they still charge extra on a $100k wealth signaling appliance. It's total and complete profiteering anti-customer bullshit.

It's also probably delaying the start of true self driving innovation because they will all be options and normal consumers will take forever to adopt.

This isn't just the germans. ACC is a hard-to-get option on Chevy Suburbans, only available on the near-top trims bundled with other high-tech packages.

The end result is that it's very easy to get past $75k and still not have ACC on a Suburban now.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Safety features - Basically impossible to not get on a $30k car, but $$$ to get on a $90k car.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Having to add like $10k+ in options of any entry-level German car to get the same electronic doodads like ACC that comes on every mainstream car definitely put me off buying one this last round. And ACC is pretty much a requirement on any new non-niche car in the year 2021 IMO.

All the "luxury" tech has been commoditized and is standard on pretty much everything these days. It's so dumb that your average Kia is better equipped than your average Audi. And some of the mainstream brands have better tech than some luxury options even when equipped.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 18, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the average kia buyer is shopping on price and the average audi buyer is shopping on lease payment

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

no lube so what posted:

what did you end up getting?

Like you, I'd prefer NA for a new car. Part of the corolla with manual is that it will probably be very reliable. I've got a fun car. The used market is what's driving the idea to sell the 4runner and get a fuel efficient & reliable econobox with a warranty. Sellers market.

We have a lot more due diligence to do in the coming weeks.

When I was looking my '12 Scion xB had just been totaled by a drunk driver. After being pretty disappointed by most of the new cars I drove I ended up just getting another xB altho this one is the last model year made (2015) and had way less miles on it, under 30k. Got it for $13k out the door, over $10k less than if I got the new Civic sedan and this car is way more useable as far as the cargo area is concerned. I ride bikes, go paddling and camping and stuff so it was the smart way to go for me.

I drove lots of new cars too, the Mazda3, Fiesta ST, Civic, Corolla, a few hybrids which I did not like at all, etc. I came to the conclusion that for the money those cars were really not all that great and I needed the utility of the xB I had so i just got another one and saved a good chunk of money in the process.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Guinness posted:

All the "luxury" tech has been commoditized and is standard on pretty much everything these days. It's so dumb that your average Kia is better equipped than your average Audi. And some of the mainstream brands have better tech than some luxury options even when equipped.
Carplay costs $3,500+ extra from Ferrari and the dealer told me 60-70% of buyers don't bother speccing it lmao

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the average kia buyer is shopping on price and the average audi buyer is shopping on lease payment
The average Ferrari buyer shops on resale value

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Kraftwerk posted:

How would you compare it to a Golf R or a CLA (including it’s AMG variant)

While I have not driven a Golf R, I have driven a Mk7 GTI, which is close enough. The choice between the Golf and the Mazda is dependent on what you want out of a car. The Golf is sportier, whereas the Mazda is comfier.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Godzilla07 posted:

While I have not driven a Golf R, I have driven a Mk7 GTI, which is close enough. The choice between the Golf and the Mazda is dependent on what you want out of a car. The Golf is sportier, whereas the Mazda is comfier.

Wow, I'm actually surprised. I thought it would have been the other way around. What made the Mazda comfier, seats/ride/features?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

got off on a technicality posted:

The average Ferrari buyer shops on resale value

100%

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

pik_d posted:

Wow, I'm actually surprised. I thought it would have been the other way around. What made the Mazda comfier, seats/ride/features?

not op, but mazdas all are still commuter cars, minus miata.
The GTI is the civic SI of golf. Stiff suspension, flatter turns. Actually stiffer than the miata, but that's a whole other wall of text

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

MeruFM posted:

not op, but mazdas all are still commuter cars, minus miata.
The GTI is the civic SI of golf. Stiff suspension, flatter turns. Actually stiffer than the miata, but that's a whole other wall of text

The Mazdaspeed3 was more like the GTI though, right? I'm assuming the Mazda 3 Turbo is not as much of a beast as the old MS3?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The old Speed3 was a good deal more aggressive than the GTI of the time. The new 3 turbo is the complete opposite.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

pik_d posted:

While I'd still put the fast Golfs in the neighborhood of "nice car that can be fun in the right scenario" that the Mazda 3 Turbo also lives in, the Golf had quicker steering, a firmer ride, and the DSG is sharper than the traditional automatic in the Mazda. VW also has money to give the Golf a manual gearbox, whereas Mazda doesn't, because Mazda's limited resources are probably going towards their new RWD platform and associated powertrain development. The Golf also has a large aftermarket community if that's your thing.

The Mazda's overall vibe is relaxed. The interior is delightful whereas the Golf's interior is more utilitarian, the ride is softer and the steering is slower, and there's more slack in the powertrain. It can still perform, but performance is not a primary objective like it is in the fast Golfs or the old Mazdaspeed cars.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Godzilla07 posted:

VW also has money to give the Golf a manual gearbox, whereas Mazda doesn't, because Mazda's limited resources are probably going towards their new RWD platform and associated powertrain development.

The GTI is way better in automatic anyway - they haven't been putting any effort into their manuals for years now.

Throwing money at the RWD I6 platform is such a Mazda thing to do - I love their cars but they do spend a lot of time and resources on dead ends like the rotary and diesels. They'll certainly never get that investment back because even if ICE remains viable expensive sedans will never sell in significant numbers especially ones without the right badge.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Guinness posted:

Having to add like $10k+ in options of any entry-level German car to get the same electronic doodads like ACC that comes on every mainstream car definitely put me off buying one this last round. And ACC is pretty much a requirement on any new non-niche car in the year 2021 IMO.

I was considering buying a used Euro sports sedan and ACC with all the bells and whistles was one of my non-negotiable requirements for them. It was insane to me how rare it was. Like go on the Mercedes pre-owned site and look at C-Class AMGs and literally over 90% of them don't have a Distronic system. It was the exact same looking at Audis and BMWs. You have to make sure that you know all of the options for whatever car because there's probably a lot of stuff that wasn't optioned and some of it is luxury fluff and some is super important. And it's a huge pain in the rear end because they seem to change what the packages are every year and so many used car sellers don't list them properly.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Why do you guys like ACC so much? It really doesn’t seem necessary to me. I’ve never used it and probably never will. I tried it out once on a rental atlas and thought it was a neat gimmick that I couldn’t ever bring myself to trust. Figured if I’m gonna hover my hands over the wheel I might as well just drive the drat car. It’s about the only thing left to do on the road besides listening to podcasts so I might as well do it to help pass the time.

dissss posted:

The GTI is way better in automatic anyway - they haven't been putting any effort into their manuals for years now.

Throwing money at the RWD I6 platform is such a Mazda thing to do - I love their cars but they do spend a lot of time and resources on dead ends like the rotary and diesels. They'll certainly never get that investment back because even if ICE remains viable expensive sedans will never sell in significant numbers especially ones without the right badge.

I want the Mazda RWD i6 to succeed so BMW isn’t the only one with a monopoly on that segment. But I have a feeling that it’ll just be more like a bigger and slightly faster version of the Mazda3.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Kraftwerk posted:

Why do you guys like ACC so much? It really doesn’t seem necessary to me. I’ve never used it and probably never will. I tried it out once on a rental atlas and thought it was a neat gimmick that I couldn’t ever bring myself to trust. Figured if I’m gonna hover my hands over the wheel I might as well just drive the drat car. It’s about the only thing left to do on the road besides listening to podcasts so I might as well do it to help pass the time.

ACC is Adaptive Cruise Control, so not sure what you're talking about with hovering your hands. It's just cruise control but with radar so if there's a car in front of you it'll just follow it at a set distance up to your dialed in speed. If traffic opens up it just becomes regular cruise control. The good ones also work in stop-and-go traffic.

It's a god send for long distance highway driving in even moderate traffic rather than constantly fiddling with or toggling normal cruise control.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

They might mean lane keep assist (LKA), which helps keep your car between the lines. The point isn't to have it drive for you (it won't), the point is that it helps keep the car centered in your lane. Let's say you're going to merge to the right, so you look over your right shoulder to check your blind spot. As you do this, your body is going to naturally steer a bit to the right (no, really, try it) and LKA puts some pressure on the wheel to resist this. Many people hate the way this feels but I personally prefer it. It's not strong enough to stop you from controlling the car; it's really just enough to give you some feedback about where you are in the lane. It basically reduces the amount of tiny inputs you have to make to constantly correct the car's drift. This combined with adaptive cruise substantially reduces the amount of fatigue you get on highways during longer trips. It's seriously great.

Edit: Feeling wise, the closest thing I can compare it to is it feels like the car is tramlining, except always to the center of your lane and following the curves of the road. You still need to provide input, but the car "wants" to stay in the middle.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 19, 2021

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
ACC != self drive.

Basically as said it's just the car maintaining a distance and speed that can auto-brake and some can do start / stop. And it's an absolute godsend for freeway cruising, just dial the speed in and let the car figure it out while you can divert attention from the speedo to the outside. Given I never then need to care about being caught for speeding accidentally, I find it far more relaxing and also frees me up to keep an eye on traffic around and ahead more.

Set for the speed limit, let it make adjustments with the traffic flow and honestly it's one of the legitimate best things about new cars

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Set for the speed limit, let it make adjustments with the traffic flow and honestly it's one of the legitimate best things about new cars

We should qualify that early versions felt like they wanted to randomly murder you. They fixed that, for the most part.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
The best sensible commuter car in America right now is a used Ford fusion titanium hybrid with ACC and LKA and cooled seats and 40mpg. Not fun in any way, but it’s easy as gently caress to put miles on and you can get one for cheaper than a new civic. I got a 2019 for 18k.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

LibCrusher posted:

The best sensible commuter car in America right now is a used Ford fusion titanium hybrid with ACC and LKA and cooled seats and 40mpg. Not fun in any way, but it’s easy as gently caress to put miles on and you can get one for cheaper than a new civic. I got a 2019 for 18k.

I loved the non-hybrid higher-trim fusions when I travelled for work, but hated the hybrid. Then again, I wasn't paying for gas.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

The modern driver assist stuff like ACC and LKA is definitely what made me more okay with settling for an automatic transmission, despite being a longtime diehard manual guy.

For a relatively boring, practical, utility-oriented road tripping car it's all game changing stuff and makes long distance driving so much less fatiguing. It's not 100% perfect but most of the kinks have been worked out now. And since it's all just electronics it's cheap as hell and has become nearly-standard on all the mainstream car brands, furthering why it's do ridiculous that so many "luxury" cars don't have this stuff as standard but as ridiculous upcharges.

Also, ventilated seats own

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Guinness posted:

Also, ventilated seats own

Properly cooled seats are better though. I'm mad that I'll be downgrading from cooled seats in the Stinger to ventilated seats on the M4.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

LibCrusher posted:

I had to see for myself and you weren't kidding. One year old top trim models are listed for 50 percent MSRP. What's going on here?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

KillHour posted:

We should qualify that early versions felt like they wanted to randomly murder you. They fixed that, for the most part.

Oh agreed in say the last 4-5 years it's become a fairly mature tech even if I do not trust the car to see stopped traffic fast enough. I usually find with ACC on tho I spot issues a few seconds before the car does and have already reacted anyway and thence there has never been anything close to a panic stop so *shrug*. Comparing to the other car with just normal cruise control, I think my reaction times improve with less to try and juggle. One of my other cars has no cruise and that's just mentally draining for a long trip.

Blind spot protection is worth it's weight too. Doesnt matter how good you are at keeping alert, you're gonna make a mistake get surprised sometime and having the blind spot protection is a nice bit of a failsafe.

Honestly now I've typed that out and how I feel it's such a good thing to have it does my head in that some luxury cars just dont have ACC standard... and yet cheaper shitboxes do??? And those cheaper shitboxes have *good* ACC to boot.

quote:

despite being a longtime diehard manual guy.

CVT's are demonic black holes but on a simple drive from A to B freeway cruise and ACC..... I'll say that's kinda hard to beat for doing 600-700 kms in one one hop and not feeling dogshit at the end. EV's are are step up while they have charge of course, it is *really* hard to beat a EV for cruising relaxed driving

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 06:39 on May 19, 2021

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Guinness posted:

The modern driver assist stuff like ACC and LKA is definitely what made me more okay with settling for an automatic transmission, despite being a longtime diehard manual guy.

I'm happy that VW let's you keep both of those AND have a manual.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I usually find with ACC on tho I spot issues a few seconds before the car does and have already reacted anyway and thence there has never been anything close to a panic stop so *shrug*.

My Stinger has flashed up the "COLLISION WARNING!!!" message on the HUD before when I don't see anything at all and I'm like "huh?" Turned out the car in front of the car in front of me had slammed on their brakes and that gave me enough warning to avoid turning a two car crash into a three car one. I was pretty impressed.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

bull3964 posted:

I'm happy that VW let's you keep both of those AND have a manual.

How does that work in heavy or even stop and go traffic?

A couple years ago I had a rental Ford Edge Titanium of all things that sold me forever on ACC. Driving in variable heavy traffic including stop and go with ACC set was amazing and made me decide then and there that any new car I bought would have the feature.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 06:47 on May 19, 2021

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

LibCrusher posted:

Assuming the Fusion has the same body as the Mondeo (and I think it does) it's extremely cramped inside especially when equipped with the big sunroof (which all the Titanium trims do here). Because of that I ended up with a Sonata instead which has way more headroom in an externally similarly sized car.

Also the inflatable rear seatbelts that Ford uses seriously limit your choice of child seat.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Guinness posted:

It doesn't. Still useful at highway speeds though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Guinness posted:

It actually allows you to shift up and down without issue, but obviously it won't work in stop and go traffic.