Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
https://twitter.com/Tyson_Fury/status/1393985791903387648?s=19

August is a long way off but at least it seems to be happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Politics aside, I'm glad we're getting this fight.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
It's gonna be good.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Sad it won't be in the UK. When was the last time the number 1 and 2 heavyweights in the world were British?

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Awesome the Fury/Joshua fight is happening, a shame that it's happening in Saudi Arabia and not somewhere like Wembley. Saudi Arabia typically provides a very dead atmosphere, hopefully the Brits can travel by then.

We get Josh Taylor vs Jose Ramirez next week as well. If we could get Terence Crawford and Errol Spence to sign a contract, this could be the best year for boxing in a long time.

Also excited to learn who the eventual Manuel Charr/Christopher Lovejoy/Bermane Stiverne/Fres Oquendo/Adam Kownacki/Robert Helenius/Trevor Bryan WBA tournament winner will be.

Cigar Aficionado fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 17, 2021

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Also excited to learn who the eventual Manuel Charr/Christopher Lovejoy/Bermane Stiverne/Fres Oquendo/Adam Kownacki/Robert Helenius/Trevor Bryan WBA tournament winner will be.

The promoters who found a way to make money off these guys in an era with legit heavyweights who are unifying

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Jump King posted:

The promoters who found a way to make money off these guys in an era with legit heavyweights who are unifying

Everyone for those, except for Kownacki and maybe Charr have to be losing promoters money

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Jump King posted:

i would never accuse don king of being stupid

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/cmckennasport/status/1394388587026731018?s=20

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

absolutely gently caress that. are arbitrators legally binding?

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
The real loser in all of this is me for having to read all the horrible takes on boxing Twitter

Edit: Oh wait, that's every day

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 17, 2021

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Marching Powder posted:

absolutely gently caress that. are arbitrators legally binding?

almost certainly but it probably means wilder is going to get even more money to let the fight happen

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Very annoying decision, especially considering that Wilder has not fought at all and been basically radio silent since he lost in February 2020, besides the odd social media post.

Hopefully Fury/Joshua can go ahead and then Wilder is allowed to fight the winner. Seems like that would be a win/win for everyone including Wilder, as he would make a lot more money fighting the Fury/Joshua winner rather than just fighting Fury again.

Although, there is the aspect of the second Fury/Joshua fight, which I thought was included in the Fury/Joshua contract, so this will likely be a mess that has the potential to completely scuttle Fury/Joshua.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

This is bullshit. Why can’t we have nice things

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
The day after the fight announcement we get an arbitration decision?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

LLCoolJD posted:

The day after the fight announcement we get an arbitration decision?

Fury knew the arbitration decision was about to drop

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Oh boy can't wait to watch wilder get utterly embarrassed again instead of a historic unification bout.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Frankston posted:

Oh boy can't wait to watch wilder get utterly embarrassed again instead of a historic unification bout.

Maybe we'll get a cool new walkout suit?

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Can Tyson Fury just say, you're right, I should have fought you next Deontay. You know what, to punish me, you can go ahead and have the title since I broke the rules. And you know what, after I beat Anthony Joshua and take all his titles, maybe we'll have our fight, (since it is the only way you will ever get paid) where I will beat you embarassingly badly again and take that title back, and also I will sing to everyone in the arena, who will laugh at you

Wouldn't it be pretty easy for him to both say and do all that. Isn't he the type of guy to both say and do all that.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Wilder would be immensely stupid to take an immediate rematch with Fury coming off his first loss (by KO) a year and a half ago.

Take the $20m+ step aside payout, fight a journeyman in the summer for a few million more dollars, then fight the Fury/Joshua winner for all of the belts and more money than you would make just fighting Fury immediately.

EDIT: Malik Scott is out saying Wilder won't be taking any step aside money, so clearly Wilder is still dumb as poo poo.

Cigar Aficionado fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 18, 2021

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
What’s the payday for Wilder if he fights?

I’m having a tough time imagining someone saying no to sitting on their rear end for $20 mil but I also haven’t made a career out of getting punched in the head.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

boop the snoot posted:

What’s the payday for Wilder if he fights?

I’m having a tough time imagining someone saying no to sitting on their rear end for $20 mil but I also haven’t made a career out of getting punched in the head.

A lot more than $20 million and Fury (in some fashion) would have to pay that $20 million.

Edit - I'm rewatching Fury Wilder 2 and just noticed the Proper 12 adverts on the ropes, lol.

Edit2 - Unless Wilder's outfit malfunction is true, which seems highly suspect, I have little interest in a third fight. He looked like someone with staph for chrissakes.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 18, 2021

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Following up on this - apparently Michael Hunter (who just dropped out of the Filip Hrgovic fight) will instead be fighting "Michael Wilson" (? Never heard of him mentioned even in passing) in a WBA heavyweight title eliminator fight on June 19th on the Teofimo Lopez undercard on Triller.

Also, apparently the Daniel Dubois/Bognan Dinu June fight will be for the WBA "Interim" title. This is despite the WBA having a "Super" champion (Anthony Joshua), "Regular" champion (Trevor Bryan), "Gold" champion (Robert Helenius), and "Recess" champion (Mahmoud Charr). Clearly the WBA does not know what the definition of the word "interim" is.

It's getting to the point where literally anyone ranked in the top 15 by the WBA is fighting for some sort of WBA title. It would be cool if the WBA senior executives got arrested for drug smuggling or something.

Cigar Aficionado fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 18, 2021

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think it would be very funny if wilder forced the fight and sparked Fury

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Kaddish posted:

A lot more than $20 million and Fury (in some fashion) would have to pay that $20 million.

What does this mean?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Also for all the fans who are copetalking that it’s actually great business for wilder to not take a world heavyweight champion fight that his team just didn’t a bunch of time fighting for him to get, consider this: It pays a lot of money to fight for the championship as the first big post pandemic fight right away as opposed to waiting years for the winner to maybe grant you a challenge (after they fight each other 2-3 times and then fight Whyte, Usyk, etc) and it pays even more money if he wins.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Jump King posted:

Also for all the fans who are copetalking that it’s actually great business for wilder to not take a world heavyweight champion fight that his team just didn’t a bunch of time fighting for him to get, consider this: It pays a lot of money to fight for the championship as the first big post pandemic fight right away as opposed to waiting years for the winner to maybe grant you a challenge (after they fight each other 2-3 times and then fight Whyte, Usyk, etc) and it pays even more money if he wins.

If Wilder can get an agreement that he fights the Fury/Joshua winner immediately/next, it absolutely makes much more sense to take the step aside cash and fight the Fury/Joshua winner at the end of the year.

But this is also the guy who turned down a $100m+ dollar deal to fight Anthony Joshua twice to fight Dominic Breazeale for $10-20m, and fired Mark Breland for saving his career/health, so he clearly isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly
All of British boxing twitter/media are in mourning over this lol but I'm going to bat for Wilder on this one, he had a contract for a rematch that should have been honoured in December and if he wants to enforce it so be it.

Both the previous fights were massive events that delivered big time and the third will as well. Arum has booked that new stadium in Vegas for July so the trilogy will feel massive by the time it comes around.

Stealth Tiger posted:

Can Tyson Fury just say, you're right, I should have fought you next Deontay. You know what, to punish me, you can go ahead and have the title since I broke the rules. And you know what, after I beat Anthony Joshua and take all his titles, maybe we'll have our fight, (since it is the only way you will ever get paid) where I will beat you embarassingly badly again and take that title back, and also I will sing to everyone in the arena, who will laugh at you

Wouldn't it be pretty easy for him to both say and do all that. Isn't he the type of guy to both say and do all that.

If Fury gives up the belt AJ would probably rather fight Wilder for the vacant WBC belt than Fury. Also the contract is for a fight with a guaranteed purse not just a shot at the title.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Brut posted:

What does this mean?

Wilder can get a $20 million payday courtesy of the Fury camp but he can make a lot more if the fight happens.

Jump King posted:

I think it would be very funny if wilder forced the fight and sparked Fury

This is a real possibility and part of the reason we'll all watch this fight.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 18, 2021

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Cigar Aficionado posted:

If Wilder can get an agreement that he fights the Fury/Joshua winner immediately/next, it absolutely makes much more sense to take the step aside cash and fight the Fury/Joshua winner at the end of the year.

But this is also the guy who turned down a $100m+ dollar deal to fight Anthony Joshua twice to fight Dominic Breazeale for $10-20m, and fired Mark Breland for saving his career/health, so he clearly isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Oh yeah true he could just get Fury to promise him that he’ll fight him, since Fury is well known for following through on those kind of agreements, which is why he fought Klitschko twice and Wilder three times already. Perhaps they could also get a genie to the negotiating table to get everybody to sign the contract in blood.

I’m also sure Wilder is also really kicking himself for not signing a 2 fight DAZN deal just before Joshua got his rear end kicked by Ruiz and enacting his rematch clause, removing him from the possibility of Wilder fighting Joshua that year while still being on the hook for two fights.

In the meantime, Wilder having a big fight now is the bird in the hand. And if he wins there’s even more money in the Joshua fight after. Wilder obviously believes he can win because he’s a professional boxer, so in his team’s value calculation it makes all the sense in the world for him to get his title back asap. Of course, that sureness of victory is probably not realistic, but I don’t think that’s stupid as much as a natural part of being this type of athlete. If he didn’t believe in himself as a fighter, and was some shambling don king zombie taking step aside money would be the goal, but he wants the title so it’s not.

Obviously the Breland stuff is insane

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Jump King posted:

If he didn’t believe in himself as a fighter, and was some shambling zombie

Actually the headdress was heavier than it looked.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
If Wilder/Fury does happen, I hope they can keep the fight a little cleaner. I don't mind rough stuff too much but there was a lot of headlocking, rabbit punching and hitting on the break (and failure to break) from Fury in that fight. I know Tyson had a point deducted but I'm a little surprised that there wasn't more talk of his tactics. Maybe there was and I didn't come across it.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

Actually the headdress was heavier than it looked.

That’s true, in retrospect we should have known the fix was in when Fury was carried to the ring.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Jump King posted:

That’s true, in retrospect we should have known the fix was in when Fury was carried to the ring.

They showed fury rode a golfcart to the dressing rooms, whereas deontay walked. conspiracy? I think so!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Mr. F! posted:

They showed fury rode a golfcart to the dressing rooms, whereas deontay walked. conspiracy? I think so!

Kind of hosed up that every time the screen cut to Wilder he was wandering around the MGM asking how to get to the arena

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Jump King posted:

Kind of hosed up that every time the screen cut to Wilder he was wandering around the MGM asking how to get to the arena

I want to go to wilder fury 3 now so i can join the chorus calling wilder a dosser

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

So top rank has reserved a vegas date for July 24, looks like this is happening.

Kind of funny how despite all the serious negotiations for Joshua to fight either Wilder or Fury over the last 4 years we’ve just ended up with 3 Wilder-Fury fights

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jump King posted:

Kind of funny how despite all the serious negotiations for Joshua to fight either Wilder or Fury over the last 4 years we’ve just ended up with 3 Wilder-Fury fights

This is why boxing rules.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Mr. F! posted:

I want to go to wilder fury 3 now so i can join the chorus calling wilder a dosser

Sucks no Fury-Joshua but Allegiant Stadium has an actual club in it so we should all go

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31427717/allegiant-stadium-wynn-field-club-brings-las-vegas-club-dj-experience-raiders-games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Gonna be funny to see Wilder sparked out again. Supposedly Joshua is likely to fight Usyk now, which is a good contingency plan.