Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: dead gay comedy forums)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Celot posted:

Muslim fundamentalists are of sound mind, or what?

What would you suggest is the cause of the lack of their "soundness of mind"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lmao

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Celot posted:

In the Middle East, people mostly believe in Islam and are therefore more likely to want to set up an Islamic state. Why they believe in Islam and not Orthodox Christianity? Idk I’m not religious, I don’t really get it.

in russia, people mostly believed in eastern orthodox christianity. but actually, you've dodged my question. i didn't ask why they were religious, i asked why they were crazy

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Celot posted:

I don’t really get it.

We can tell

Celot
Jan 14, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

in russia, people mostly believed in eastern orthodox christianity. but actually, you've dodged my question. i didn't ask why they were religious, i asked why they were crazy

Because they believe whacky stuff. Why do they believe it? Idk I don’t see the appeal.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Also lmao

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Celot posted:

Because they believe whacky stuff. Why do they believe it? Idk I don’t see the appeal.

so your scientific explanation is "for the gently caress of it"?

Celot
Jan 14, 2007

Still doing the bit where you pretend to be offended by the notion that religious fundamentalism is crazy. Weird.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Zodium posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

this is the lamest fuckin probe on the whole forum

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Healthy young Arab goes to Mosque, gets pumped full of massive Allah, hates America and changes - ISLAM! Many such cases!

Celot
Jan 14, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

so your scientific explanation is "for the gently caress of it"?

I said I don’t know a bunch of times. The material explanation makes no sense.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Celot posted:

does being crazy cause you to believe whacky stuff, or does believing whacky stuff make you crazy? what is the cause, and why was that cause more prevalent in the middle east than in russia?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Celot posted:

I said I don’t know a bunch of times. The material explanation makes no sense.

their life sucks and the extremists offer an explanation and solution that makes sense according to how they have experienced and see the world

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Celot posted:

Still doing the bit where you pretend to be offended by the notion that religious fundamentalism is crazy. Weird.

Well if it's not completely random chance and it's not an environmental/material cause, how does fundamentalism propagate itself?

Celot
Jan 14, 2007

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Healthy young Arab goes to Mosque, gets pumped full of massive Allah, hates America and changes - ISLAM! Many such cases!

Hating America and wanting an Islamic state are not logically related.

Celot
Jan 14, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

does being crazy cause you to believe whacky stuff, or does believing whacky stuff make you crazy? what is the cause, and why was that cause more prevalent in the middle east than in russia?

No idea, and Islam is not the only whacky belief on earth.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Celot posted:

so how did isis form in your world

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

My god you were so certain about everything a few pages ago I wonder what changed

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I mean I did post an actual historical example where repression turned secular resistance into violent fundamentalism, "gently caress those guys that killed my buddy" is a pretty strong motivator

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Celot posted:

No idea.

you are reproducing racial ideology, which in the final analysis is the only alternative to materialism. some people in some places are just worse than others. crazier, stupider, lazier, whatever. who can explain it? i don't know, but that's just why things are the way they are, intrinsic and uncaused differences in populations

Celot
Jan 14, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

so how did isis form in your world

As a reaction to being bombed a bunch, and also a lot of people being crazy religious nuts. If you only have the first part, then you would get a reaction but not a religious state.

Celot
Jan 14, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

you are reproducing racial ideology, which in the final analysis is the only alternative to materialism. some people in some places are just worse than others. crazier, stupider, lazier, whatever. who can explain it? i don't know, but that's just why things are the way they are, intrinsic and uncaused differences in populations

I have no idea why some people are religious nuts, and neither do you.

What a crazy response.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
g*ddamn celot is trying to beat the t-man record for number of post on the same page or something

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Celot posted:

As a reaction to being bombed a bunch, and also a lot of people being crazy religious nuts. If you only have the first part, then you would get a reaction but not a religious state.

you appear to be teetering on the edge of understanding something but defaulting to the easy racist inclinations

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Celot posted:

Disregarding Marx for a second even modern psychological theory does not support your assumption at the individual level.

Peace.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Celot posted:

anti-imperialism is a popular stance in occupied countries and all the secular anti-imperialists had been killed over a period of decades

Celot
Jan 14, 2007

you appear to be teetering on the edge of understanding something but defaulting to the easy racist inclinations

The racism is something you have imagined.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

can marxism help me beat guardian ape without kuro’s charm

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Celot posted:

What a crazy response.

but you're additionally claiming to have no idea why some places are full of religious nuts and others are short on religious nuts

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
dunno whats nuts about islamic fundamentalism. seems pretty tame

Celot
Jan 14, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

but you're additionally claiming to have no idea why some places are full of religious nuts and others are short on religious nuts

It’s all in your head. You know perfectly well that religious fundamentalists are crazy. Nothing racist about it.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Celot posted:

The racism is something you have imagined.

It's implicit.
If it's not random chance, and it's not environmental, what predisposes people to being converted into religious fundamentalism?

What's left in your bag of scientific analysis?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Celot posted:

What a crazy response.

lol you are an immensely incurious person

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Atrocious Joe posted:

lol you are an immensely incurious person

lol this was their first post in this thread

Celot posted:

idk about that, but all critical thinkers are anti-theory. Theory, including Marxism, is not a valid way of knowing. It is like received wisdom.

please im begging you... gently caress off and read a single goddamn thing

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

I was sort of annoyed at this for a bit but it’s actually turned into a great object lesson, for the doubters among us, of why theory really is important

this person charged into the thread to confidently talk poo poo about marxism, a mere 60 posts later it turns out his anaystical framework for viewing the world is “arabs be crazy” lol

Celot
Jan 14, 2007

It's implicit.
If it's not random chance, and it's not environmental, what predisposes people to being converted into religious fundamentalism?

What's left in your bag of scientific analysis?

I have no idea what causes some people to be religious nuts and others not to be. Neither do you. Why are you pretending that they aren’t crazy, I don’t understand. Why not be honest instead?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Lightningproof posted:

can marxism help me beat guardian ape without kuro’s charm

Comrade, in the Glorious Communist Utopia not only will you have more time to play Sekiro but a lack of alienation from your labor will improve your mental state so you won't get frustrated as easily!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

QUEER FRASIER posted:

I was sort of annoyed at this for a bit but it’s actually turned into a great object lesson, for the doubters among us, of why theory really is important

this person charged into the thread to confidently talk poo poo about marxism, a mere 60 posts later it turns out his anaystical framework for viewing the world is “arabs be crazy” lol

I renounce my accusations of gatekeeping (at least in this thread) because I could not handle a loving room full of Celots let alone this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celot
Jan 14, 2007

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

lol this was their first post in this thread

please im begging you... gently caress off and read a single goddamn thing

Reading Marx is why I don’t like Marxism.