Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Nothing too raw for a 10-year-old. The harshest language is a single instance of "rear end." No gore, some fisticuffs and fantasy violence. You'll have to explain who different characters are since the stories are so short, but it's still entertaining. You should ABSOLUTELY follow this up with Green Lantern: Legacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

He’s pretty smart. Absolutely devoured the trade of Superman Smashes the Klan I got him for Christmas. Sounds like he can give it a go, thanks guys.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

frameset posted:

He’s pretty smart. Absolutely devoured the trade of Superman Smashes the Klan I got him for Christmas. Sounds like he can give it a go, thanks guys.

If he's really hungry for Asian heroes, you could also try getting him the New Superman trades about Kong Kenan

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Xelkelvos posted:

If he's really hungry for Asian heroes, you could also try getting him the New Superman trades about Kong Kenan

I ended up loving that book. The first issue or two were dreadful, but by the end I was sad it got canceled.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I ended up loving that book. The first issue or two were dreadful, but by the end I was sad it got canceled.

Definitely. Like, he's a more extreme version of Johns's Batson where he definitely doesn't seem like he deserves to have those powers because he's such a jerk, but over the course of the series, he really grows into them and matures compared to Batson

The concept for his powers is also relatively unique and I had hoped him and his league would show up more even if they were, amusingly, sort of knock-off versions of the main Leaguers. But they each find their own identity and twist on their original concept and can stand alone.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Warner owns DC, so this new company will own DC and AT&T will have a 71% stake in the company.

For accuracy's sake: AT&T will own nothing of the new company, AT&T's shareholders will own 71% of it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Some good stuff going on in Nightwing. The art direction and story seems solid.

Catwoman is also chugging along nicely and it seems we have an idea of what's going on with Ivy in the physical realm to parallel what's going on with what we see of her in The Green in Swamp Thing

Edit: I'm still a little cold with how the Flash has been going, but the end of the latest issue promises something amusing next month at least.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 18, 2021

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Yeah, the last Flash page is the most excited I have been for a DC book in ages.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Yeah, the last Flash page is the most excited I have been for a DC book in ages.

Can you spoil it?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Vince MechMahon posted:

Can you spoil it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hZ-il7Ey9I

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I'll raise you one better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfvR4hl-Gzw

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Yeah flash is hands down the best book DC is putting out right now.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Lord_Hambrose posted:

New Superman was too good for this world. :negative:

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Not just Flash but a Wally West Flash.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Xelkelvos posted:

Some good stuff going on in Nightwing. The art direction and story seems solid.

Yeah, I hopped on because of Tom Taylor but I'm really liking the art and layouts. Also the dog.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

Yeah flash is hands down the best book DC is putting out right now.

I'll bite, what happened?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Gaz-L posted:

I'll bite, what happened?

It is just a good comic book that is enjoyable to read. Wally is quantum leaping across time and the multiverse into the bodies of various speedster. The story where he was impulse in the future ruled and the latest where he was Jay during WW2 was really good.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I haven't read today's but there's something about the art or coloring in Flash that doesn't really sit right with me for some reason. The story is fine but I hate that the impetus for it is that in the first issue of the comic after taking over Barry wants to quit and give up his powers. That plot point is just way over done in comics in general and in this case it's a terrible pick for the first story as we know it's bullshit and it makes no sense considering the last time we saw him in Infinite Frontier he already accepted it from Barry.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Yeah, I hopped on because of Tom Taylor but I'm really liking the art and layouts. Also the dog.

I read the fat Suicide Squad trade of Taylor/Redondo's run and it loving rules. Deffo buying copies for friends who enjoy self-contained caped mayhem mixed with bits of sweetness.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Well I hated Bendis' Superman but I remember really liking his Avengers, maybe he needs a good team book, I'll give his Justice League a few issues to develop and see how it's goi-

gently caress this I'm done

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TwoPair posted:

Well I hated Bendis' Superman but I remember really liking his Avengers, maybe he needs a good team book, I'll give his Justice League a few issues to develop and see how it's goi-

gently caress this I'm done

What the gently caress?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't understand what happened there.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Nightwing was pretty fun; I love the art and colors and I like the callback of Tim and Dick talking on a train. I remember some negative comparisons to Hawkeye a few months ago, but I think this is very much its own thing so far.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

X-O posted:

I don't understand what happened there.

I don't either and I like Ducktales.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
she's spiraling in a loop of anxiety (being cognizant of being anxious just making you more stressed) and Batman shocks her out of it with a non-sequitur

I don't think it's that confusing

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I've been having a lot of anxiety lately, and I've been listening to both versions of the Ducktales theme song at least once a day to put me in a better mood.

The guy from Panic! At the Disco performing it on Jimmy Fallon was also really good.

EDIT: Forgot I came here to post that Christos Gage is mailing me a signed copy of Batman/Fortnite #3 because I was the first one to guess what Alan Moore comic he ripped off in it. It was the issue of Swamp Thing with Batman. Specifically, the line: "The Joker's stopped laughing." It was honestly just a shot in the dark.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 19, 2021

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
hahaha nice! Well done, OMN - successful stabs-in-the-dark are the best kinds of surprise success! :D Very cool

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Batman making cartoon references is a bit weird, but he also canonically knows Sailor Moon lore so, honestly, this sort of thing barely registers on the scale of truly lovely decisions Bendis has made, which I'm mostly just relieved hasn't happened so far in JL. Yet. I mean, I'm not calling it a great book or anything and Bendis' inability to write characters who don't just sound like Bendis is as embarrassing as ever...but hey, it could always be worse.

Oh right Wonder Girl was pretty good, pretty much continues the tone and quality of the Future State stuff. Zeus is alive again though? which makes no sense but aiight whatever.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Thanks for the encouragement around Sandman Mystery Theatre, it's a really drat good book. I've read the first 3 arcs and I'm already wishing there was an omnibus to get.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

Batman making cartoon references is a bit weird, but he also canonically knows Sailor Moon lore so, honestly, this sort of thing barely registers on the scale of truly lovely decisions Bendis has made, which I'm mostly just relieved hasn't happened so far in JL. Yet. I mean, I'm not calling it a great book or anything and Bendis' inability to write characters who don't just sound like Bendis is as embarrassing as ever...but hey, it could always be worse.

Oh right Wonder Girl was pretty good, pretty much continues the tone and quality of the Future State stuff. Zeus is alive again though? which makes no sense but aiight whatever.

Eh, the Olympians die and are reborn every 5 mins in WW stories

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

Batman making cartoon references is a bit weird, but he also canonically knows Sailor Moon lore

Yeah but on the other hand...

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

she's spiraling in a loop of anxiety (being cognizant of being anxious just making you more stressed) and Batman shocks her out of it with a non-sequitur

I don't think it's that confusing

I do like the idea of Batman silently singing "Ducktales... woo-oo" to himself whenever he feels anxious or in over his head.

That said, the way it's brought up in the dialogue is awkward and a bit confusing.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

It's presumably Zeus which, yeah, wtf. Same with Hera's only slight shift in personality after her adventures on Earth with WW, but I assume it'll get explained in some way

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I read BMB's Batman Universe and I really enjoyed it. It was great reading a Batman comic without him being a hyper competent brood master and he actually made quips and jokes. I know people can get hung up on the way BMB writes characters and the idea of quips and joking around with other characters but honestly it kind of reminded me of Batman: TAS where Bruce/Batman had a great dry humour that seems to be verboeten in modern day Batman comics.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot

Madkal posted:

I read BMB's Batman Universe and I really enjoyed it. It was great reading a Batman comic without him being a hyper competent brood master and he actually made quips and jokes. I know people can get hung up on the way BMB writes characters and the idea of quips and joking around with other characters but honestly it kind of reminded me of Batman: TAS where Bruce/Batman had a great dry humour that seems to be verboeten in modern day Batman comics.

Batman Universe was a lot of fun, and the Nick Derington art was GREAT

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I feel like Batman is the kind of guy who is salty that the DuckTales theme is just a hall and Oates swipe.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vince MechMahon posted:

I feel like Batman is the kind of guy who is salty that the DuckTales theme is just a hall and Oates swipe.

Batman hates Rock and Roll and probably think Hall and Oates is Rock and Roll.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Batman hates Rock and Roll and probably think Hall and Oates is Rock and Roll.

Batman knows adult contemporary when he hears it. He's the world's greatest detective.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Vince MechMahon posted:

Batman knows adult contemporary when he hears it. He's the world's greatest detective.

The Riddler went through a phase where he would only play snippets of songs (too short to Shazam) as clues to his next crime.
So naturally Batman had to become the world's greatest expert on classic Rock and pop songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
If Batman didn't jam some dark wave or shoe gaze in the bat cave, I'd be sorely disappointed.