Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: dead gay comedy forums)

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Now accepting massive effort-posts into my pm box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Celot posted:

I have no idea why some people are religious nuts, and neither do you.

What a crazy response.

either you’re dumb as a bag of hammers or you’re a troll and genuinely think a cool use of your brief tenancy on this earth is wasting a load of strangers’ time on the internet with this horseshit for, like, hours and regardless of which one it is I’m sorry

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Celot posted:

It’s all in your head. You know perfectly well that religious fundamentalists are crazy. Nothing racist about it.

it's interesting that you would try something like this not just in a text-based medium but while directly quoting a very clear statement of my question. i ask you about the STATISTICAL DISTRIBUTION of religious fundamentalists (not whether they're "crazy") and not only are you seemingly unable to answer but you very obviously attempt to distract from the question

it's pretty clear that your theory of history is that certain populations of people are simply more likely to have certain mental defects than others, and that's why outcomes differ across time and place. congratulations! you are fully in accordance with the ideology of classical liberalism

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I renounce my accusations of gatekeeping (at least in this thread) because I could not handle a loving room full of Celots let alone this one

now you see why the theory people get so testy!! scarred from years of encounters with celots

Celot
Jan 14, 2007

QUEER FRASIER posted:

I was sort of annoyed at this for a bit but it’s actually turned into a great object lesson, for the doubters among us, of why theory really is important

this person charged into the thread to confidently talk poo poo about marxism, a mere 60 posts later it turns out his anaystical framework for viewing the world is “arabs be crazy” lol

No, this is just feigned offense at imagined racism. Dumb lib poo poo.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
to be fair its you alls fault to fall for skygod trolling from like <2008

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

so are we all converting to islam now or what

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Celot posted:

I have no idea what causes some people to be religious nuts and others not to be. Neither do you. Why are you pretending that they aren’t crazy, I don’t understand. Why not be honest instead?

In a Marxist reading, it's the material conditions.
What is your refutation?

"No it's not"?

Oh well thank you for your insightful contribution you loving first year dropout contrarian

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

we are btw

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I'm really loving confused about why people would embrace a system of thought that provides a community, rules to help make life decisions, and an answer to existential questions about death and suffering. Just makes no sense to me.

Celot
Jan 14, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

it's interesting that you would try something like this not just in a text-based medium but while directly quoting a very clear statement of my question. i ask you about the STATISTICAL DISTRIBUTION of religious fundamentalists (not whether they're "crazy") and not only are you seemingly unable to answer but you very obviously attempt to distract from the question

it's pretty clear that your theory of history is that certain populations of people are simply more likely to have certain mental defects than others, and that's why outcomes differ across time and place. congratulations! you are fully in accordance with the ideology of classical liberalism

I have no idea.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Ferrinus posted:

Perhaps the occurrence of this insanity can be predicted by medical means, such as the shape of their brains

Celot
Jan 14, 2007

In a Marxist reading, it's the material conditions.
What is your refutation?

"No it's not"?

Oh well thank you for your insightful contribution you loving first year dropout contrarian

Right, internal mental state is a material condition. Great.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

lumpentroll posted:

LF revivalism

Celot
Jan 14, 2007

Atrocious Joe posted:

I'm really loving confused about why people would embrace a system of thought that provides a community, rules to help make life decisions, and an answer to existential questions about death and suffering. Just makes no sense to me.

Be honest man.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Atrocious Joe posted:

One could even argue that the technology and modes of production in the imperial center produce individualistic ideologies!

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Celot posted:

I have no idea.

you write like you don't realize this, but "i have no idea" is actually an answer in itself. it just turns "% of the population that is crazy" into, itself, the prime mover of history. why did nation A see result X, while nation B saw result Y? well it's because nation A had more crazy people. or maybe nation B had more smart people. or maybe nation A had more lazy people. who's to say why? this is just how things are - some places simply have worse people than others

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

lumpentroll posted:

You should have the instant you adopted the immortal science.

Insallah

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

lumpentroll posted:

No beer is kind of a drag but sure whatever

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

this runs parallel with many other Marxist-Leninst memes commonly found on the internet,

Celot
Jan 14, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

you write like you don't realize this, but "i have no idea" is actually an answer in itself. it just turns "% of the population that is crazy" into, itself, the prime mover of history. why did nation A see result X, while nation B saw result Y? well it's because nation A had more crazy people. or maybe nation B had more smart people. or maybe nation A had more lazy people. who's to say why? this is just how things are - some places simply have worse people than others

I’m sorry you feel that way, and that this is keeping you from acknowledging a plainly obvious fact.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

QUEER FRASIER posted:

now you see why the theory people get so testy!! scarred from years of encounters with celots

I didn't consider that is was to keep out the Dunning-Kruger proofs and now I can see immediately why

but I still think it has negative implications for engaging the working class

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Celot posted:

I’m sorry you feel that way, and that this is keeping you from acknowledging a plainly obvious fact.

please state simply the plainly obvious fact

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

No beer is kind of a drag but sure whatever

good news

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khamr

There are some Muslim jurists (particularly of the Hanafi school) who take the concept of khamr literally and forbid only grape-based (or date-based) alcoholic beverages, allowing those made with other fruits, grains, or honey. This is, however, a minority opinion.[5][6]

Celot
Jan 14, 2007

please state simply the plainly obvious fact

Religious fundamentalists are crazy.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Celot posted:

what does whether religious fundamentalists are crazy have to do with the fact that, according to you, some populations just inexplicably produce more crazy people than others?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

People can be wrong without being mentally ill.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Celot posted:

I mean it depends on how you define "crazy" but as Joe already pointed out religious fundamentalism does help fill some psychological needs especially in the face of adversity and violence caused by a cultural other

Celot
Jan 14, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

what does whether religious fundamentalists are crazy have to do with the fact that, according to you, some populations just inexplicably produce more crazy people than others?

Some populations have more Muslim fundamentalists, but Muslim fundamentalists aren’t the only crazy people. Which part do you want to pretend to disagree with?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The 30 Years War could have been avoided if people were able to access therapy and get some SSRIs or ketamine.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

This abuse victim has anxiety, clearly this is just because their brain is hosed up and not a reaction to the abuse

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Celot posted:

Some populations have more Muslim fundamentalists, but Muslim fundamentalists aren’t the only crazy people. Which part do you want to pretend to disagree with?

i don't care whether muslim fundamentalists are "crazy", and i don't disagree that some populations have more muslim fundamentalists than others. what interests me is that you staunchly refuse to explain why some populations have more crazy people, or more fundamentalists, or both, than others. by deliberately stopping your analysis there, you elevate "percentage of crazy people" to the level of prime cause, and thereby explain history as driven by innate psychological differences between populations

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Atrocious Joe posted:

The 30 Years War could have been avoided if people were able to access therapy and get some SSRIs or ketamine.

Maybe Celot is gonna spend most of his time in Timothy Leary Land before slipping into "exterminate the brutes"

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

note that this is actually and literally why ableism is bad, because it's part and parcel of the liberal paradigm in which all material outcomes are merely reflections or manifestations of innate psychic quality or lack thereof

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Victory Position posted:

this runs parallel with many other Marxist-Leninst memes commonly found on the internet,

https://i.imgur.com/gGqFLXy.mp4

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Celot posted:

Do you mean this for all literal fundamentalists? Mormons? Orthodox Christian and Jewish? Papists and Baptists?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I learn a lot itt from people making good posts responding to bad posts, thanks for yall work

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

I didn't consider that is was to keep out the Dunning-Kruger proofs and now I can see immediately why

but I still think it has negative implications for engaging the working class

i would argue that if one wants to engage the working class then they absolutely do need to read theory. call that gatekeeping if you want, and ofc this doesnt mean that every prole needs required reading, but someones gotta

Celot
Jan 14, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

i don't care whether muslim fundamentalists are "crazy", and i don't disagree that some populations have more muslim fundamentalists than others. what interests me is that you staunchly refuse to explain why some populations have more crazy people, or more fundamentalists, or both, than others. by deliberately stopping your analysis there, you elevate "percentage of crazy people" to the level of prime cause, and thereby explain history as driven by innate psychological differences between populations

Because I don’t know, and neither do you. But you want an explanation anyway, so you made one up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

note that this is actually and literally why ableism is bad, because it's part and parcel of the liberal paradigm in which all material outcomes are merely reflections or manifestations of innate psychic quality or lack thereof