Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I will never understand the playing in bed phenomenon. It's so uncomfortable feel like my neck is breaking.

In the bathroom at the sink is the true og way to play portables

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Sakurazuka posted:

I'll get it when it's not $70 for a PS2 game lol

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Also I got Nocturne Deluxe off this Fanatical site for $57.

Reddit says it isn't like Kinguin or other gray market sites.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Also I got Nocturne Deluxe off this Fanatical site for $57.

Reddit says it isn't like Kinguin or other gray market sites.

Yeah goons said Fanatical is legit.

But I want the game on switch so I can play anywhere.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

I will never understand the playing in bed phenomenon. It's so uncomfortable feel like my neck is breaking.

You lay on your stomach across the narrow side of the bed and play until your hands fall asleep

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It was easier in the GBA SP to 3DS days but the switch is kinda bulky so I can’t do it as long. I think I played the entirety of Strange Journey in bed.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Saagonsa posted:

You lay on your stomach across the narrow side of the bed and play until your hands fall asleep

This is how the guy who wrote Yu Yu Hakusho destroyed his entire body I'm pretty sure.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If that's why hxh fans get nothing it's still a better excuse than beserk fans suffering under the tyranny of idol master

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah goons said Fanatical is legit.

But I want the game on switch so I can play anywhere.

Fanatical used to be bundle stars. They also recently got bought by fandom which while they’ve been poo poo to employees in the past doesn’t do illegal poo poo.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Sakurazuka posted:

I'll get it when it's not £45 for a PS2 game lol

At least that's less expensive than brand new games.

Welcome to Malaysia!

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Saagonsa posted:

I can only picture this as turning your mattress on it's side and lying on top.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I want to get it on the Switch because games like this are good to play with something on in the background, or while my wife is watching TV, but I'm going to wait and see how much worse the switch version is before I commit

Like I finished Bravely Default 2 on the Switch, but I've started and never finished much better RPGs on PS4

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I'm getting Nocturne remake on PC because I hope someone will create a high quality OST patch at some point.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Ohtsam posted:

They also recently got bought by fandom which while they’ve been poo poo to employees in the past doesn’t do illegal poo poo.

Fandom also recently stepped in and told the editors of the Star Wars fan wiki to gently caress off when they were being dickheads about changing the attribution of works by trans people to their proper name

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Blue Labrador posted:

I'm getting Nocturne remake on PC because I hope someone will create a high quality OST patch at some point.

I hope there will be many mods for this but HardType being made into a mod is top priority for me.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Blue Labrador posted:

Good luck to them even the ost is poo poo quality

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The OST itself is nice and crisp, but you wouldn't get the many variations on things like the battle theme because the OST's only got one variation on it. IIRC, Digital Devil Saga 1's Demi-Fiend bonus boss battle has a really nice quality version of the Nocturne battle theme, but its only the one variation that's found on Nocturne's OST release.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Homora Gaykemi posted:

Fandom also recently stepped in and told the editors of the Star Wars fan wiki to gently caress off when they were being dickheads about changing the attribution of works by trans people to their proper name

Oh thats awesome.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

New translations of demon names for Nocturne HD. Apparently a lot of the Chinese god names were wrong originally:
https://twitter.com/King_Seda/status/1394658970732679172?s=20

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pre-ordered Nocturne HD for Switch. Hoping the performance holds up. :P I haven't read anything yet about Nocturne HD performance on Switch.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
He'll always be pyro jack to me...

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Pre-ordered Nocturne HD for Switch. Hoping the performance holds up. :P I haven't read anything yet about Nocturne HD performance on Switch.

Well his is great timing. Just saw this review. I timestamped the relevant part showing some stuttering on Switch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY17VhvYe9k&t=455s

Also seeing many 9/10's and I have to wonder if that rating is based on "this is Nocturne HD, it's a 9/10 remaster" or if it's for the game itself. To be blunt, I don't think Nocturne is a 9/10 game in 2021. Later SMT games did pretty much everything better. Nocturne was the first vital step on a road to perfection but it's still primitive, has a lot of samey dungeons and barely any story or characters. Maybe the voice-acting will make the characters feel a bit more alive and memorable.

But as weird as it is, I do really like the 3D models of my demons. Seeing them instead of just pictures is really nice. I'm excited to have that again in SMTV.

I dunno, I like Nocturne, but I'd give it more of a 6.5/10. Maybe the HD version will help.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 19, 2021

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I dunno what to compare it against, as the other games on the 3DS were really good, but still fell short of Nocturne. When Nocturne came out it won a lot of awards and was rated extremely high. While I haven't played too many JRPGs since, I haven't found anything that comes close to Nocturne, Persona games included. It'll always be a perfect 10 in my book. It's just that good.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah, strong disagree on Nocturne as a 6.5/10. I'll grant plenty of standard of-the-era criticisms like a lack of within-dungeon visual variety, but I certainly can't think of a better PS2-era RPG.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Irony.or.Death posted:

Yeah, strong disagree on Nocturne as a 6.5/10. I'll grant plenty of standard of-the-era criticisms like a lack of within-dungeon visual variety, but I certainly can't think of a better PS2-era RPG.

Final Fantasy X? I know there is the odd hater out there but FFX is a drat near perfect game in my view. Dungeons, characters, plot, pacing, music, gameplay, visuals (outside of character designs anyway...Nomura was going through a phase at the the time) - it has it all for me.

Anyway, dub of Matador encounter
https://twitter.com/RPGSite/status/1394654228266708994?s=20

Keith Silverstein is the VA. He was Flynn in SMTIV/IVA and is in a ton of other stuff. Good, recognizable VA.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

NikkolasKing posted:

Final Fantasy X? I know there is the odd hater out there but FFX is a drat near perfect game in my view.

FFX almost made me quit ALL RPGs altogether. I hated that game SO much.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

in conclusion PS2 era JRPGs are a land of contrasts

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Wait they're not candelabras anymore?? :(

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Philthy posted:

I played it recently from the perspective of "I skipped this as a dumb teen because it didn't look exactly like an FF7 retread, let's try to be fair to this HD remaster" and I don't think I've ever hated a game more.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Philthy posted:

Atlas Hugged posted:

I played it recently from the perspective of "I skipped this as a dumb teen because it didn't look exactly like an FF7 retread, let's try to be fair to this HD remaster" and I don't think I've ever hated a game more.

What the gently caress

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
the laughing scene is supposed to sound bad, it's not an example of bad voice acting, it's intentional

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

FFX is way overhyped, yeah.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

FFX is the most SMT like FF game since you can capture monsters and enemies have specific weaknesses to certain physical and elemental attack types

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I replayed FFX last year for the first time in over a decade and it was really good

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Especially if you come to FFX fresh now, it's a love/hate game on a lot of levels. Super linear for most of it, International (which HD is based on) aggressively punishes you for backtracking or exploring at a lot of parts with Dark Aeons, the Calm Lands were just a giant tech demo which is unimpressive open space now... Etc.

Source: a buddy of mine just finished it and while he did finish it, he really did hate how much it seemed to spite him in the back half.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I'm just baffled at how people can hate FFX that much.

Like, sure, it's okay for it to not be your thing, but it's inoffensive, I have no idea what part of it could engender that level of hatred. Especially if you don't get to the International endgame which, yeah, does have some pretty unfair poo poo.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Harrow posted:

I replayed FFX last year for the first time in over a decade and it was really good

Same. I replayed it like two years ago and still loved it

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Junpei posted:

the laughing scene is supposed to sound bad, it's not an example of bad voice acting, it's intentional

The rest of the game doesn't really have that excuse for its bad voice acting, though.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Cleretic posted:

I'm just baffled at how people can hate FFX that much.

Like, sure, it's okay for it to not be your thing, but it's inoffensive, I have no idea what part of it could engender that level of hatred. Especially if you don't get to the International endgame which, yeah, does have some pretty unfair poo poo.

This is my thinking as well. FFX not being everyone's favorite? Sure, fine. But "worst JRPG ever that made me want to quit JRPGs"? That's unfathomable to me.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

FFX is the most SMT like FF game since you can capture monsters and enemies have specific weaknesses to certain physical and elemental attack types

It does have one of the best turn-based battle systems ever and maybe this is partly why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

WrightOfWay posted:

The rest of the game doesn't really have that excuse for its bad voice acting, though.

The game would literally crash if they voiced longer than the jp audio in addition to matching flaps