Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which of these pink video game heroes is best
This poll is closed.
Kirby 126 71.59%
Jigglypuff 34 19.32%
Clefairy 16 9.09%
Total: 176 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
running around from zone to zone is an accurate description of the process all the way up to 80 though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This

homeless snail posted:

you can't really do a whole lot with people until level 15,

is why I've got to disagree with this

homeless snail posted:

The Base Game Is Good, though

I kept just wanting to do quests or whatever with my boyfriend but every 5 minutes we had to drop group which sucks. Maybe it gets good eventually but it really didn't leave a good first impression.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

homeless snail posted:

The Base Game Is Good, though

Lmao so we can't party up in the free trial and can't send friend requests in it either

Game already uninstalled, 0/10

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Guild Wars 2 was a fun levelling experience because you really are free to just run around and do whatever and level

Just about every single activity grants exp so you're free to just explore the maps and level up that way, or do a bunch of crafting to level if that's your thing

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

homeless snail posted:

i'm assuming titan, which is, an unfortunate misread on that mechanic

Yeah it was titan. I played it in 2015, I just remember he's the first boss with a big aoe slam thing that you have to avoid, maybe I was remembering people trying to jump over it and dying that way

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Acerbatus posted:

This

is why I've got to disagree with this

I kept just wanting to do quests or whatever with my boyfriend but every 5 minutes we had to drop group which sucks. Maybe it gets good eventually but it really didn't leave a good first impression.
yeah when I say its good, I should qualify by saying, its a good final fantasy game. msq is primarily single player, its not a game you quest with people on

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

cheetah7071 posted:

running around from zone to zone is an accurate description of the process all the way up to 80 though

Going places is something you can say about all games yes

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

RBA Starblade posted:

Lmao so we can't party up in the free trial and can't send friend requests in it either

Game already uninstalled, 0/10

the general rule is that any feature that would be super annoying in the hands of a few thousand bots isn't allowed to trial players, which unforuntately includes most social features

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Zaphod42 posted:

You can do as many as you want per day, but you only get the big "first run of the day" bonus once (for each type of playlist)

You definitely do still get xp from grinding dungeons beyond that bonus, its just much less worth your time.

I like grinding mobs in EQ and FFXI because the games are built around the journey more than the destination and just kinda hanging out.
Modern MMOs like WoW and FFXIV are more this solo rpg you speed-run to unlock the endgame raiding which is a sort of weird and very different gameplay model.

My wife and I are probably the exception rather than the rule but we've been playing for years and we still haven't reached current xpac. It's pretty nice because we can still do the raids and stuff from previous expansions so there's no real rush for us to get to endgame.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

FFXIV now has two zones (one after Stormblood and one after Shadowbringers) that are about hanging out and grinding mobs

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

FFXIV now has two zones (one after Stormblood and one after Shadowbringers) that are about hanging out and grinding mobs

Wow, TWO zones? drat, how many hours do I gotta play to get to the first one?

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I cant perform a T-spin on Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 to save my loving life.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

won't play ff14 unless all dungeons can be soloed with AI companions which will never happen because it's an MMO

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

i wouldn't be surprised if that happens at some point, you can play all of them in shadowbringers with AI. they'd have to go back and script them for the older dungeons, which is kinda half done I guess because there is a system where you can build AI squads and do old dungeons with them, but the AI is jankier than the shadowbringers trusts and you can't do them on your first runs anyway

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The 7th Guest posted:

won't play ff14 unless all dungeons can be soloed with AI companions which will never happen because it's an MMO

Thats another big issue, I had fairly quick queues because I played tank but got bored and wanted to try a DPS character and queues shot up to an hour

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

starting in like, idk february or march 2022 at least, they're going to be starting a whole new story that I presume they'll just let you skip to at some point, and everything from that point on will most certainly have trusts

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

the first 30 hours of the game are way less boring if you start in Limsa Lominsa cause you get to enjoy all the pirates swearing at you all the time.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kerrzhe posted:

the first 30 hours of the game are way less boring if you start in Limsa Lominsa cause you get to enjoy all the pirates swearing at you all the time.

i choose to believe it's the tiny one saying this

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Modern MMOs like WoW and FFXIV are more this solo rpg you speed-run to unlock the endgame raiding which is a sort of weird and very different gameplay model.

FFXIV definitely has a significant part of it you play as functionally a solo RPG, but for a lot of players that part is the draw because it has a really engaging and well-told story. They also go out of their way to add story to just about every side quest or activity in the game, which I think is pretty fun.

I think if a player were to speedrun to the endgame of FFXIV, they would both burn out and probably not find the game they're looking for. There's endgame and raiding and stuff, for sure, but it's not the only draw like for some other modern MMOs.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ever since they added trusts I always make a point to do dungeons the first time with AI, because the characterization for how the AI is programmed is so good. every party member has a weird quirk that makes them play their job Wrong but in a way thats appropriate to their character, there's tons of dialogue of them talking amongst themselves about whats happening especially if you bring certain combos of characters, and they deal with mechanics in their own unique ways also. there's a dungeon in early shadowbringers where you have to quickly walk across a balance beam to get to the other side of the arena, and in accordance with their character there's the one dude that tiptoes down it really slowly and cautiously, his headstrong sister that just loving books it across, one guy just leaps over it, its great stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KARJbE_kq-c

thats the kind of touch that makes it a final fantasy game first and foremost, over an mmo imo

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

urianger just waits until the last minute then teleports across. he's so cool.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

sorry shtolas the coolest, because even though she could do that she instead chooses to just confidently stride down the beam at her own pace

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

homeless snail posted:

sorry shtolas the coolest, because even though she could do that she instead chooses to just confidently stride down the beam at her own pace

i feel like she might be slightly adverse to teleportation spells at this point, for reasons

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Holy poo poo I am just now learning about this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v49ewBiBxgc

Please do not pay to see this film, it is a scam film.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah I heard that movie was total dogshit

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
and yet if the player tries to use a teleport to cross they just get dunked into the pit

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Please do not pay to see this film, it is a scam film.

What do you mean by scam film

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It exists to not pay 5 Night at Freddy's for the license and beat a 5 Nights at Freddy's film to market

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Nic Cage does not actually exist.

He has been an AI creation this entire time.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

homeless snail posted:

starting in like, idk february or march 2022 at least, they're going to be starting a whole new story that I presume they'll just let you skip to at some point, and everything from that point on will most certainly have trusts

That's really good news. Been needed for awhile.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Harrow posted:

FFXIV definitely has a significant part of it you play as functionally a solo RPG, but for a lot of players that part is the draw because it has a really engaging and well-told story. They also go out of their way to add story to just about every side quest or activity in the game, which I think is pretty fun.

I think if a player were to speedrun to the endgame of FFXIV, they would both burn out and probably not find the game they're looking for. There's endgame and raiding and stuff, for sure, but it's not the only draw like for some other modern MMOs.

I was being brief because :words: but I regret saying "speedrun" since so many focused on that over the rest of the point.

Point being its a single player game. Whether you do that fast or slow is up to you.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Barudak posted:

It exists to not pay 5 Night at Freddy's for the license and beat a 5 Nights at Freddy's film to market

I mean... I kind of got that from the trailer

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I mean... I kind of got that from the trailer

I don't think its a scam, sorry, just saying why some people might feel that way unless I missed something truly wild about its production.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I might think it would be a scam if like 95% of Nic Cage's role was in the trailer or it turned out to not be a horror film

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The whole movie takes place in like three rooms and Nic Cage doesn't talk the entire movie and he just drinks beer and does like four really bad fight scenes. It's like one of those Adam Sandler really obvious fleecing movies where they get a budget from the studio and spend a fraction of that on the actual movie and then just distribute the rest between him and all his friends that appear in the movie.

also it's DEFINITELY not a horror film, not in that the movie isnt scary but the movie does not ever have any of the scenes or setups, it is actively not trying to be even a little scary.

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 03:56 on May 19, 2021

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

The whole movie takes place in like three rooms and Nic Cage doesn't talk the entire movie and he just drinks beer and does like four really bad fight scenes. It's like one of those Adam Sandler really obvious fleecing movies where they get a budget from the studio and spend a fraction of that on the actual movie and then just distribute the rest between him and all his friends that appear in the movie.

also it's DEFINITELY not a horror film he just effortlessly kills all the costumed bad guys

If I'm paying to see Nic Cage then he drat well better be chewing the scenery every time he's on which should be all the time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It is the laziest, cheapest possible execution of the concept. Nic Cage never speaks, the film is shot horribly, there's barely any costumes or locations. It is essentially selling you the meme concept of Nic Cage fighting evil mascots and the trailer, but the actual film does the absolute bare minimum to meet that requirement. It's kind of like an Asylum movie, but more humorless. It feels incredibly cynical, like they know the concept is such a meme idea that people will watch it just based on the idea, and that idea is the only thing it offers.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

I was being brief because :words: but I regret saying "speedrun" since so many focused on that over the rest of the point.

Point being its a single player game. Whether you do that fast or slow is up to you.

Yeah I get that. There aren't really a lot of really heavy group-focused MMOs around these days. The closest one that I really play is GW2, which is more about playing in really large groups of players in the open world (which still has a really nice feeling of a world being full of players and cooperation, but isn't quite the same thing as like EQ or FFXI).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I do really like GW2's event system and FFXIV's FATE system for giving you the occasional taste of group experience to pepper into your otherwise solo RPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Somebody promised Cage a whole mess of money AND no dialogue to learn AND he could probably be drunk every day AND a pinball montage. Not a single one of us would turn that down. The kitchen renovation it paid for is probably beautiful.