Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Vandar posted:

Some people (such as my wife) have been known the make the wrong decision. :colbert:

I mean yeah she married a goon so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I mean yeah she married a goon so

poo poo!

EDIT: She told me to tell you 'yeah, you right though'. :negative:

Vandar has a new favorite as of 21:15 on May 16, 2021

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Vandar posted:

Question though: Kassandra or Alexios?

There is, in fact, a perfectly good reason to play as Alexios!

If you've already done or watched a full Kassandra playthrough and you want to see Kassandra as Deimos, because you knooooow that's going to be a wild ride.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Picayune posted:

If you've already done or watched a full Kassandra playthrough and you want to see Kassandra as Deimos, because you knooooow that's going to be a wild ride.

I wonder if anyone has made a mod that let's you have Kassandra in both roles.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Assassin's Creed: The Twin Kassandras

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
A mod where everyone is Kassandra.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

RoboRodent posted:

I enjoy photo mode.

With all due respect, I'm taking this one to The Other Thread, because you've taken a perfect photo for demonstrating a big problem I have with the ME1 remaster.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Picayune posted:

This is precisely the reason I played as Alexis after my gf did a Kassandra playthrough.

Alexis isn't bad, really. If he was the only option, it would've been fine playing as a beefy himbo for half the game and a angry musclehead the other half.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I can understand people being disappointed that Lady Dimitrescu isn’t in the majority of RE8, but I just did the Beneviento section and it whips rear end so I don’t get why anyone would complain.

As soon as I saw that first closet I knew what they were going to pull, and an Amnesia knock off is super fitting for RE and worked great. I was almost disappointed to get my weapons back.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I didnt know anything about kassandra being much better so my first run through was alexios. Second one was with kassandra naturally and yeah she owns.

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'

Alhazred posted:

Also, if stand in the grass with a flaming arrow/torch the grass will catch on fire.

Oh yes, learned this the hard way...

Vandar posted:

You're in for a treat. Odyssey is really, really loving good.

Question though: Kassandra or Alexios?

Kassandra. Forever.

The hype is real - this game’s a blast! It’s improved exponentially by heaps of little things...

- Want to explore? You can climb pretty much everything.

- Worried about falling? Fall damage won’t kill you.

- Want levelling to feel more badass? Just reduce the scaling in the options.

- Like that weapon/armour but worried it’ll become obsolete? Just upgrade it.

- Want to try different abilities? You can reset them at any time for a few drachmae

It’s like they thought about the kinds of things that irritate gamers and just... fixed them.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's very funny that Ubisoft reacted to all the slow trailing mission complaints by making even 70-year old grannies sprint like an olympic athlete now.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Robert J. Omb posted:

GOD I've been playing Horizon Zero Dawn and I love the gently caress out of the game, it's everything I've wanted out of Monster Hunter and more, but those two things are driving me crazy. Aloy not being able to climb everything in sight and then taking a ridiculous amount of fall damage has become really hard to get used to after finishing Odyssey not too long ago.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Robert J. Omb posted:

Kassandra. Forever.

The hype is real - this game’s a blast! It’s improved exponentially by heaps of little things...

- Want levelling to feel more badass? Just reduce the scaling in the options.

- Like that weapon/armour but worried it’ll become obsolete? Just upgrade it.

- Want to try different abilities? You can reset them at any time for a few drachmae

It’s like they thought about the kinds of things that irritate gamers and just... fixed them.

While the good thing is that you still have 150h of content left if you include the Atlantis-DLC (you should), the bad thing is that Odyssey is still the high-point of the series. Valhalla is not bad, it's just a bit mediocre and they dialed down on some of the Odyssey design decisions too much IMHO. The console version is also a bit loading screen happy, since it was designed for the new generation which you cannot get anywhere.

At least I hated the streamlined rewards system, where you always sort of have an idea on what you will find and where, so when you need something specific there really is no reason to explore any place that doesn't have that. For example ingots, or part of the regional armor set to get the bonus.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Valhalla is the most "that sure is another Assassin's Creed" game I've played since Unity. I think I've figured out the main twist after doing Oxenefordscire (Sigurd is probably the main villain, right?), the world is gorgeous but also bland, and Eivor isn't a patch on my muscle waifu. Also the whole "you get to go to Valhalla but it isn't related to the main story" mechanic feels like they're trying to recapture the magic of visiting Elysium.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

bony tony posted:

Valhalla is the most "that sure is another Assassin's Creed" game I've played since Unity. I think I've figured out the main twist after doing Oxenefordscire (Sigurd is probably the main villain, right?), the world is gorgeous but also bland, and Eivor isn't a patch on my muscle waifu. Also the whole "you get to go to Valhalla but it isn't related to the main story" mechanic feels like they're trying to recapture the magic of visiting Elysium.

I have not once gone back to valhalla after the first time. Also fully agree on the "another ac" thing, i love the series dearly and enjoy Vikings too, I'm so confused why this game turned out so bland. Its just a slog. I've stopped playing after having done another bunch of boring ally quests and the main story still not continuing , im not clearing the entire drat map only to get to the end.

Its also generally just slower and more serious in tone, leaping around a fun mix of mythological and historical greece was so much fun in odyssey, stomping around England with its 5 different tones of brown isn't.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I can only really enjoy an AC game - maybe a Ubisoft game as a whole - once every few years. It is very reductive to say "all Ubi games are the same" but they really do need to diversify more and let go of their open world obsession. I played the free weekend of Watch_Dogs_Legionnaires_3 and was bored after an hour - the random character gimmick was fun, playing with drones was cool but I was just doing all the usual Ubisoft map painting stuff and I only played Odyssey a year ago.

And I liked Odyssey! But by the time I got into the good DLC I was just done with it and probably rushed some of the better bits of the game, it just didn't have the depth of systems or... anything really to justify it being 100 hours long. And putting points into perks like "add +0.5% health regen using this specific move" with the "mastery" levels or whatever was just outright depressing.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

It's very funny that Ubisoft reacted to all the slow trailing mission complaints by making even 70-year old grannies sprint like an olympic athlete now.

It's ancient Greece so those 70-year old grannies are probably Amazons. :v:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

One thing that made Odyssey really work for me (apart from Kassandra) was the mythological larger-than-life tone they took with it. One of the very first things you do is go into the ruined palace of the Odysseus. All across the countryside you find half-forgotten temples and ruins scattered about, and the occasional skeleton of some impossibly giant mythological beast. It made the world feel lived-in and just a little bit fantastical. Sure, you probably won't be running into one of the Greek gods just walking around in disguise, but it feels like that could happen.

Meanwhile Valhalla didn't quite manage that. Sure, there's Valhalla itself, but it's too neatly separated. With few exceptions, England itself ends up feeling just a little too mundane.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Still reckon it should be a law that you can't have an impossibly huge skeleton appear in a game without a living version showing up at some point.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Perestroika posted:

One thing that made Odyssey really work for me (apart from Kassandra) was the mythological larger-than-life tone they took with it. One of the very first things you do is go into the ruined palace of the Odysseus. All across the countryside you find half-forgotten temples and ruins scattered about, and the occasional skeleton of some impossibly giant mythological beast. It made the world feel lived-in and just a little bit fantastical. Sure, you probably won't be running into one of the Greek gods just walking around in disguise, but it feels like that could happen.

Meanwhile Valhalla didn't quite manage that. Sure, there's Valhalla itself, but it's too neatly separated. With few exceptions, England itself ends up feeling just a little too mundane.

Literally the first thing you do as Kassalexios is to climb up a two hundred meter tall statue of Zeus to check out the view, complete with stone dong. Your character is channeling Xena/Hercules (depending on who you chose), you can do ridiculous demigod poo poo even before the DLC, and the world reflects that. In Odyssey you're never more than thirty meters away from a cool vista or camp full of dudes to stab. Medieval England is just so dull by comparison

And (this belongs in the other thread) you don't name your longship! What the hell.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
What got me about Vahalla was how toothless it was with the Viking part of the game. Sure you can raid, but you can only kill armed guards. You can set stuff on fire but it will soon go out and the roof with be fine.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Vandar posted:

I just finished Maker's End in Horizon Zero Dawn.

I can now join the rest of the thread in saying gently caress TED FARO.

It goes deeper

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I can only really enjoy an AC game - maybe a Ubisoft game as a whole - once every few years. It is very reductive to say "all Ubi games are the same" but they really do need to diversify more and let go of their open world obsession. I played the free weekend of Watch_Dogs_Legionnaires_3 and was bored after an hour - the random character gimmick was fun, playing with drones was cool but I was just doing all the usual Ubisoft map painting stuff and I only played Odyssey a year ago.

That'll probably only change when general audience appetite changes. Ubisoft knows that people like open world action games with crafting and stealth elements, so they just offer them in a wide variety of flavors. Assassin's Creed for melee combat and fantasy-but-not-too-fantasy elements. Far Cry for shooter gamers who want to blow up exciting vacation destinations, Ghost Recon for war crime enthusiasts, etc.

But yeah, I'm in the same boat as you where I only have an appetite to play one of them every now and then

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I thought about 10% of Odyssey was a really good, atmospheric RPG.

Shame about the other 90% of the game, but when Odyssey is good it's one of the better RPGs of the last twenty years.

A game I played once, appreciated the good bits in it, and have zero desire to ever play it again.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Resident Evil Village:

Unlike RE7 you can skip the cutscenes.

The game has the same meta-progression system as Resident Evil 3, where challenges like locks picked, assault rifle kills, items crafted etc. are counted across save-files and playthroughs. You don't have to find every easily missed doo-dad in the one run.

The game allows ample save-scumming. You can spend a fortune maxing out a weapon's stats, which unlocks the option to get the weapon's infinite ammo cheat. Then you can reload to an earlier save to get your money back but you can still buy the ammo cheat (In-game currency is tied to your run, while Challenge points are used to buy cheats, extra weapons, and concept art)

The game is longer than it's assumed ten hour runtime because menus generously stop the clock.

Cheats do not disable achievements and NG+ allows you to bring all your gear to the next playthrough. The day I finished the game I started over with on easy mode with an infinite Magnum and breezed through the game in two-and-a-half-hours, earning the speedrun trophy. Sadly the Extra Hard difficulty pretty much demands NG+ progress as it is rom-hack hard.

For challenge runs like Knives Out (Knife only), Frugal Father (Never buy anything), and Don't Trust That Snake Oil (No healing) the game's challenge menu will tell if you are still on track for getting those achievements. loving Deus Ex never did that for it's no-alarm and pacifist trophies.

The game is a AAA title that somehow is only 30 gigs in size.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 15:25 on May 17, 2021

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Resident Evil Village:
For challenge runs like Knives Out (Knife only), Frugal Father (Never buy anything), and Don't Trust That Snake Oil (No healing) the game's challenge menu will tell if you are still on track for getting those achievements. loving Deus Ex never did that for it's no-alarm and pacifist trophies.

All of it is good, but that's super cool. I now immeidately wish all other games that did tracking did them as well as this.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Still reckon it should be a law that you can't have an impossibly huge skeleton appear in a game without a living version showing up at some point.

The only exception should be if the big skeleton itself comes to life at some point.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Crowetron posted:

The only exception should be if the big skeleton itself comes to life at some point.

DOOM Eternal is another notable exception that does not deliver on what it promises.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

CzarChasm posted:

All of it is good, but that's super cool. I now immeidately wish all other games that did tracking did them as well as this.

Yeah, it's something that gets complained about a lot in the sister thread.
Like in Dishonored 2 you basically have to regularly flip open the menu + go to stats just to check if some unconscious person just decided to die if you wanted to go for the no-kill run.

I think in Hitman 2 a while after launch they eventually got around to adding a handy little icon that helped you keep track of Silent Assassin runs.
It's a small thing, but it saves players a lot of hassle and frustration.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Total War Troy did a reality behind the myth thing so the Cyclops is just a dude wearing an elephant skull. It made for some good memes, though.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Kit Walker posted:

It goes deeper

Double gently caress Ted Faro :c00lbert:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

(do not gently caress Ted Faro)

I went back to Greece because of Odysseychat and goddamn that game's amazing. A little thing I like is that the map feels big, but also dense. There's stuff to do and places to explore absolutely everywhere.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Cleretic posted:

With all due respect, I'm taking this one to The Other Thread, because you've taken a perfect photo for demonstrating a big problem I have with the ME1 remaster.

Rude

But I will respect your differing opinion.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
In Going Under, one of the perks you can equip at the start of runs is a credit card, which allows you to buy items you don't have enough money for, in exchange for going into debt. Debt is represented by shackling you to an iron ball, whose size is proportionate to the amount you owe. The iron ball drags behind you when you run, slowing you down, but you can also pick it up and use it as a weapon...and there's some set of conditions I haven't fully sussed out yet where it'll automatically attack enemies for a bit. It's a neat game mechanic, especially when a run's gradually going poorly and you have an incentive to go way deeper into debt to buy healing items to stay alive a little longer...

(the whole thing is of course a big reference to the punishment system in NetHack, which similarly attached you to a ball and chain which limited your movement and could be thrown at enemies)

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

In Going Under, one of the perks you can equip at the start of runs is a credit card, which allows you to buy items you don't have enough money for, in exchange for going into debt. Debt is represented by shackling you to an iron ball, whose size is proportionate to the amount you owe. The iron ball drags behind you when you run, slowing you down, but you can also pick it up and use it as a weapon...and there's some set of conditions I haven't fully sussed out yet where it'll automatically attack enemies for a bit. It's a neat game mechanic, especially when a run's gradually going poorly and you have an incentive to go way deeper into debt to buy healing items to stay alive a little longer...

(the whole thing is of course a big reference to the punishment system in NetHack, which similarly attached you to a ball and chain which limited your movement and could be thrown at enemies)

Literally the only benefit to a tourist start

Honestly nethack is such a great game, but there's really not one little thing I could point to as to why. I guess it's just frustrating enough to make you want to try again, and while there are a ton of ways to die the game never cheats

Though arguably a cockatrice falling through a trap door above you and bonking you on the head killing you is maybe a little bit unfair! :v:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

you can step onto a pit trap with poisoned spikes on turn one, that's not so fair :v:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

biosterous posted:

you can step onto a pit trap with poisoned spikes on turn one, that's not so fair :v:

Shoulda checked for traps :colbert:

How!
Oct 29, 2009

I’ve had Disco Elysium installed for about a year and haven’t gotten past the first bit with the guy in the tree. (No fault of the game, I’ve just been busy)

So I’ve restarted and played the same starting area probably a dozen times before life gets in the way, and each time it’s just a little different.

Today I got two game-overs in that area because I tried to run out on my bar tab, had a heart attack, and died. The second time a kid made fun of me so bad I just quit being a cop and the game ended.

I’m doing better this time, and I’m looking forward to the rest of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
DE is not a roguelike just for the record