Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

drat a lotta folks angry that they won't be lynching vermlings in frosthaven huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Buck Wildman posted:

drat a lotta folks angry that they won't be lynching vermlings in frosthaven huh

Well ya see, I as an affluent white man in his 30s have never been affected by racism therefore it doesn't exist but reverse racism definitely exists which is why my 3.1 high school gpa and work experience at my father's firm didn't get me into Harvard and therefore I am the true victim of racism and bringing that into my safe space of boardgames which have never had politics in them before is oppressing me.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

*pushes you into spike trap to fulfill personal goal*

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Buck Wildman posted:

It's really something, the fragility on display.

Nothing should surprise me anymore but hhhholy poo poo the kickstarter comments are insane.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Kerro posted:

I backed it without really reading anything about it because I'm an idiot and based on the comments from Cole Wehrle and Dan Thurot.

I backed it for the same reason really. Looked cool, like a Space station 13 boardgame.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Buck Wildman posted:

I want Isaac to release the number of cancelled pledges once this is all done. Gotta figure it's a tiny, tiny percent of nerds who are racist enough to actually deprive themselves of an entertainment product to actually cancel over it, and if it's public it might help other publishers feel more confident in making these choices. What we are learning today is that lots and lots of them are racist and sensitive enough to complain about this.

I kid, of course. We knew that already.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Buck Wildman posted:

*pushes you into spike trap to fulfill personal goal*

Needs a personal goal card of having more gold worth of equipment than anyone else at the start of the encounter.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

!Klams posted:

I don't necessarily disagree with what you're saying, it's all true, though I do rather like Imperium for a multitude of reasons anyway. But this point I thought was an odd one to bring up, because it's something that I think Imperium specifically goes out of its way to do better than other market row games. I mean, sure, yes, with a random shop, there's a chance it wont present options you like. But in Dune, if there's a card you really want on the market row, you can actually sacrifice worker placement turns to jump straight in to the buying phase to nab the stuff you want. The fact that this is optional, and that you can do it on any turn means there's a push your luck element to it, since it's likely your opponent will take 'all' their worker placement turns, you only really 'need' to lose one to jump ahead, but what if they have the same idea?

Fair enough, we certainly would have missed how to take advantage of that option in our play as the worker placement spots always felt pretty important given you get so few workers but I can see how that could partly mitigate the market row problem.

Aramoro posted:

I backed it for the same reason really. Looked cool, like a Space station 13 boardgame.

As mentioned in my previous post I got to play it on tts last night and afterwards it was one of very few games recently that I immediately wanted to play again. So I've got pretty high hopes!

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

one time in gloomhaven I died setting off a trap to open a path through for the rest of the group and we all spent the next five minutes or so laughing like idiots at the image of everyone marching over my corpse like a coat laid over a puddle by a gentlemen

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

dwarf74 posted:

Nothing should surprise me anymore but hhhholy poo poo the kickstarter comments are insane.

It's the sense of entitlement that too many people have. And there will be very few cancellations, not because of lack of racism but the game will almost certainly be worth quite a bit more on the open market than what these people paid.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

dwarf74 posted:

It's especially hilarious/sad/infuriating because if he hadn't said anything, none of them would have ever noticed or cared. EDIT: I agree him saying what he was changing and why was a good thing.

Re: endorsements from Cole and Space Biff, I'm weary of both because Cole will be the first to admit he likes weird/bad games for his own reasons and Space Biff, despite having a good approach to reviews, is far too glowingly positive in his final thoughts for my taste. He seemingly loves 90% of what he plays which feels contrary to a lot of his actual critique.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 18, 2021

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I'm glad he did say something, if only to get other designers to consider these issues as well.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
I’m glad he said something because it appears to have irritated the worst people in the world, and that makes me feel glad

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Aramoro posted:

I was this close to backing it but it struck me that it may be the wrong side of complicated for the type of experience I'm looking to get out of it and might end up as one of those novelty games I look at on the shelf wondering if I'd ever get a group together that would actually be able to enjoy it properly.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
I was worried about the complexity too after seeing the board and the characters laid out, and knowing that you can activate any one of them on your turn - it seemed like it would create an overwhelming amount of options and information that you need to take in. From my play of it though, it's actually far simpler and more streamlined than it looks. Once you have your specific goals decided, you're really only looking at 3 or 4 characters each turn based on whether they are your character, or near/interfering with an objective that your character needs. That 3-4 characters might change from turn to turn as the board state changes, but generally I found the board state very easy to assess once we got playing. Depending on your objectives, you also end up being able to largely ignore significant parts of the systems in the game - if your character doesn't have an objective relating to data for instance, you can pretty much ignore all the locations related to data acquisition and transmission. The exception being when you want to stop someone else from achieving that objective, but again that feels fairly straightforward - if someone picks up data, it seems like a safe bet that they want to do something with it and so perhaps you choose to knock them out in passing, or take control of them and get them to delete the data.

Overall, it feels like it has a somewhat intimidating up-front rules explanation since you need to broadly explain what all the systems do (probably on par with something like Spirit Island) but then once you get playing the actual complexity and decision space is a lot smaller and it flows quite fast. I think a big part of the reason for this is that there are a lot of possible actions, perhaps more so than nearly any other game I can think of off the top of my head, but every one of them has a very simple resolution. You attack someone, they fall down - there's no attack mechanic it just happens. You throw an item, it goes into the next room. You turn off the cameras, they're off. Every action does what you'd expect it to do with no additional systems or randomness for resolution, so once you understand the actions there's no need to try and remember how they work, look up edge-cases or anything like that.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Bottom Liner posted:

It's especially hilarious/sad/infuriating because if he hadn't said anything, none of them would have ever noticed or cared.

Re: endorsements from Cole and Space Biff, I'm weary of both because Cole will be the first to admit he likes weird/bad games for his own reasons and Space Biff, despite having a good approach to reviews, is far too glowingly positive in his final thoughts for my taste. He seemingly loves 90% of what he plays which feels contrary to a lot of his actual critique.

That's not my experience with Biff/Dan Thurot at all. I've found his reviews to be maybe 60/40 positive at best. Maybe recently that's slanted towards more positive as he's gotten slightly more selective on what he spends time on, but in the years I've followed him, he's been pretty willing to blast games as bad or even just mediocre when he's found them to be such. Generally, I've agreed with his takes more often than not.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Magnetic North posted:

I want Isaac to release the number of cancelled pledges once this is all done. Gotta figure it's a tiny, tiny percent of nerds who are racist enough to actually deprive themselves of an entertainment product to actually cancel over it, and if it's public it might help other publishers feel more confident in making these choices. What we are learning today is that lots and lots of them are racist and sensitive enough to complain about this.

I kid, of course. We knew that already.
I think there's not a tiny number, judging by how you can see pulled pledges on the KS comments, but I'd be surprised if it was any more than a few dozen to a hundred. I haven't pried for specifics. :) Isaac knew there'd be blowback, and it was important to him regardless.

Regardless, if you missed out on FH, I have heard that Cephalofair is happy to let you take a shitlord's spot if you email them. I have also seen a handful of rage-quitters quietly email apologies and get back into it.

Mayveena posted:

I'm glad he did say something, if only to get other designers to consider these issues as well.
Yup, I have seen several statements in support. Looks like Stonemaier did a blog about how they use cultural consultants, too.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 18, 2021

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

dwarf74 posted:

Regardless, if you missed out on FH, I have heard that Cephalofair is happy to let you take a shitlord's spot if you email them. I have also seen a handful of rage-quitters quietly email apologies and get back into it.

lmao loving losers

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
I haven't seen storage chat in the this thread in a while and I would love to get some good recommendations for some storage solutions. Here's my situation:

We're moving across the country in a week. In our current house, our 100+ games have been stored in a built-in bookcase. Our new house will have a media room that is pretty much a blank slate for however we want to store our games. We have a mix of some very large and very small games and also stuff like dominion. I'm not super attached to the default boxes of most of my games so I'm open to condensing games down (especially simple card games like codenames). There are definitely some games that I want to keep in the original packing (BSG, CitOW) and some games that have inserts or other storage solutions (an artist case for dominion).

I'm looking for both a recommendation on some large scale solutions for storing the games (shelving, etc.) and also small scale recommendations for replacement boxes for cardgames, etc. I don't really want to just buy Kallax shelves from Ikea because I don't really like the look of them (I might be open to Besta though). I care most about being able to quickly find and access games and them not shifting around a lot during storage. I want something that looks pretty decent as well and is scalable if we expand our collection.

No specific budget constraints other than reasonable. We came out decently ahead on the sale of our current house because of the crazy market and are planning to spend some of it on furnishings, storage, remodeling of the one (which this falls under).

Anyone have some good recommendations for any or all of the above?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

A friend of mine just learned about and is thinking about playing Gloomhaven and I told him to "rescue" a FH pledge instead. I hope he gets one.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Recommend he give Jaws a go first but yeah good call.

If you go into FH cold - no GH or JotL - it's a steeper curve, I'd say.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah Jaws of the Lion now for ~$30 is way better than $100 for FH a year from now for a newcomer.

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

Lawlicaust posted:

I haven't seen storage chat in the this thread in a while and I would love to get some good recommendations for some storage solutions. Here's my situation:

We're moving across the country in a week. In our current house, our 100+ games have been stored in a built-in bookcase. Our new house will have a media room that is pretty much a blank slate for however we want to store our games. We have a mix of some very large and very small games and also stuff like dominion. I'm not super attached to the default boxes of most of my games so I'm open to condensing games down (especially simple card games like codenames). There are definitely some games that I want to keep in the original packing (BSG, CitOW) and some games that have inserts or other storage solutions (an artist case for dominion).

I'm looking for both a recommendation on some large scale solutions for storing the games (shelving, etc.) and also small scale recommendations for replacement boxes for cardgames, etc. I don't really want to just buy Kallax shelves from Ikea because I don't really like the look of them (I might be open to Besta though). I care most about being able to quickly find and access games and them not shifting around a lot during storage. I want something that looks pretty decent as well and is scalable if we expand our collection.

No specific budget constraints other than reasonable. We came out decently ahead on the sale of our current house because of the crazy market and are planning to spend some of it on furnishings, storage, remodeling of the one (which this falls under).

Anyone have some good recommendations for any or all of the above?

There’s a good geek list of games that’ll fit into a 4x6 photo case. Michaels has periodic sales of briefcase style cases that have 20 of the cases contained within for $10-$15 bucks. You have to be okay with folding rule books sometimes, but I’ve broken down about 30 of my card games and they take up a lot less space now.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I grabbed one of those cases but found that it didn’t actually save any space in the end. Wasn’t easier to carry either compared to small boxes in a tote. It’s great organization but poorly optimized space.

The only thing that really condensed them was a dedicated card box like the Ultimate Guard Hives or cardboard longboxes.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

dwarf74 posted:

Recommend he give Jaws a go first but yeah good call.

If you go into FH cold - no GH or JotL - it's a steeper curve, I'd say.

He's looking at Jaws, too, but he won't have any problem with GH/FH. He's an experienced gamer.

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

Bottom Liner posted:

I grabbed one of those cases but found that it didn’t actually save any space in the end. Wasn’t easier to carry either compared to small boxes in a tote. It’s great organization but poorly optimized space.

The only thing that really condensed them was a dedicated card box like the Ultimate Guard Hives or cardboard longboxes.

It worked okay for me, but mainly in the sense that lots of little boxes presented a larger shelving challenge than one big box. Plus, I was able to fit two games into one 4x6 often enough that it was worth it for me (eg a couple mystery rummy games or both fox in the forest games in one case). Helps to have some bondage tape in those cases to keep everything organized.

You’re right that it’s not a good tote though - I usually just grab the games I’m planning on playing and taking them with me in the 4x6 instead of hauling the whole briefcase.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Does anyone have thoughts on Dice Hospital? Dice Theme Park is on KS for another day, and it is mildly tempting.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
My copy of The Norwegians is arriving today... sadly my copy of the base game seems to be in reprint limbo. I paid for a pre-order assuming they had them coming into stock soon, but when I emailed them it seems like they're as in the dark as I am about when it might be available in the UK. Not ideal but not a disaster either, I have plenty of other games to play until then.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Redundant posted:

My copy of The Norwegians is arriving today... sadly my copy of the base game seems to be in reprint limbo. I paid for a pre-order assuming they had them coming into stock soon, but when I emailed them it seems like they're as in the dark as I am about when it might be available in the UK. Not ideal but not a disaster either, I have plenty of other games to play until then.

Mine was meant to be arriving today and they sent me a bunch of card storage boxes instead. Getting it tomorrow now I hope.

Good luck getting the base game. I think I read somewhere it might take until July to be in stock in the UK next - hopefully I'm wrong.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
With a board game holiday 'finally' lined up (all covid safe) over the coming bank holiday weekend, I'm getting unreasonably excited. I'm already happy about letting y'all talk me into buying Sidereal Confluence, which I'm sure is gonna be fricken awesome, but now I've got my eye on Guards of Atlantis, too.

We're all into MOBA's, we played a bunch of LoL over lockdown to keep in touch, so I'm pretty sure the theme would go over well, and it seems to have mostly good reviews? But have any of you guys played it? I'm also aware there's a (much better looking) sequel on the way, but from what I can tell it looks like you can just use the new rules with the old game, and might mean I can pick up a copy of the first one for quite cheap?

Or is there another MOBA type thing for 6 that I should be looking at? (Hmm. https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9idgb. but still.)

!Klams fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 19, 2021

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Guards 2 may also have some rebalance stuff. I forget.

Super Fantasy Brawl is available on Board Game Arena if you want to try that online.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

If you all like LOL then there's Mechs and Minions? Xenoshyft or Legendary Encounters are also very much lane defence games.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Sorry, wasn't especially clear, but, they have to support up to 6 players. Thanks tho, these look cool anyway, might see if I can try them out.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

nordichammer posted:

Does anyone have thoughts on Dice Hospital? Dice Theme Park is on KS for another day, and it is mildly tempting.

While I only played it once, I found it very fiddly and kind of hard to keep track of things. I felt if you made a mistake in changing the dice it was hard to undo your choices. I also felt like it was hard to catch up if you were behind. We didn't finish the game.
It was apparently better in an earlier draft according to my fiance who playtested that version. Meddling by the publisher apparently made it worse.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

nordichammer posted:

I've played like a hundred games of this online on BGA and it's pretty good I think but I can imagine it's pretty fiddly in meatspace.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Sounds like a pass. Thanks!

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Has anyone tried Beyond The Sun? Just saw the SUSD review and it looked pretty good, despite that bland graphic design.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

It's on boardgamearena. I like it, after three or so plays, but dunno how much it has in staying power.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

alkanphel posted:

Has anyone tried Beyond The Sun? Just saw the SUSD review and it looked pretty good, despite that bland graphic design.

I've played it 22 times on bga. Bga does not support the asymmetric fractions of the (supposedly better) advanced tech tree rules.

That said its pretty decent. I think it has a surprising amount of staying power but it's solidly B tier. It's better than most stuff out there but I'm not sure it's a buy.

It is very smooth playing which is a plus, absolutely whips around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

If you want a space-based engine-builder, Beyond the Sun is considerably better than Terraforming Mars.