Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Theotus posted:

For those of you with experience on insanity in ME1, could I safely get away with cutting 7 points from Tactical Armor (unlocks medium armor) for Vanguard? I don't plan on doing a bunch of runs for free charm points, so I need to find 8 points to drop in there.

It is either that or trimming capstones for other abilities.

Yes lol, you can get away with anything. I didn’t put any points into defensive stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

fadam posted:

Yes lol, you can get away with anything. I didn’t put any points into defensive stuff.

Good deal. Wasn't sure how much one had to optimize. Haven't played the difficulty before.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
Snipers will probably one-shot you which is annoying but that's the only real threat other than bosses.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Kobal2 posted:

Fun is of course very subjective, but I first ran ME2 as an infil way back when and I liked it fine. It's a bit sedate though - most fights you'll just be huddling behind cover at the far end of the arena, popping pistol shots here and there, waiting for cloak to cool down then pop up, violently explode a head with your antimateriel rifle, fire off an overload or direct your squad for a bit, rinse repeat.

I'm sure you can play the class more action-y, using cloak to race into a flanking position your squad pins them down for example but doing the whack-a-mole waist-high wall thing was good 'nuff for me at the time ; especially since infils are quite squishy.

The trick with the semi-melee infiltrator is to run behind the enemy (classes are always best when you aren't playing cover based shooter) and then hit them with an SMG firing cryo ammo. Not so good on Insanity where everything has armour - but SMGs strip shields and fire enough bullets to proc freeze, and at least you've sniper rifles and incinerate for armour. It's high risk high reward, with classic infiltrator as a fallback strategy.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Rockstar Massacre posted:

that article is right and it was true back in 2007 too, it always had a very juvenile military worship energy that reads as though the writers had very limited interaction with the real world.

which, they were a bunch of white techies from Alberta, literally every level of government had been failing them their entire lives but the extremely slipshod nature of the CF hadn't yet been exposed. It probably is indicative of their experience that Mass Effect is so vanilla.

It's Star Trek.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Does anyone know if you can switch Shepard's gender in NG+?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Spacebump posted:

Does anyone know if you can switch Shepard's gender in NG+?

You cannot edit the character at all unfortunately.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

Thom12255 posted:

It's Star Trek.

Literally nothing that makes Star Trek intrresting is at all present in Mass Effect, aside from both being sci-fi they have nothing in common

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

More of a Babylon 5, isn't it?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Just wrapped up an original trilogy playthough last night. I was inspired because of the remakes but didn't feel like paying for them (maybe if I had a PS4 pro and a 4K tv). My opinions didn't really change from what they were (1 has best story/atmosphere, 2 is best overall, 3 has best gameplay), though I appreciated getting to reexperience Tuchanka and - to a lesser extent - Rannoch (mostly paragon playthrough, so both were the "good" endings). I was reminded of all the hilarity in the third though. Random-rear end kid showing up all the time, the scene at the end with "my sweet" and the kid model who is clearly the same adult model, just scaled down., come to mind. Hell of a trilogy though, even if some of its themes/assertions aren't really supported by someone who walked a paragon path.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mass Effect is military science fiction, a subgenre whose best quality is that you can abbreviate it as "milsf" and then misread it.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Literally nothing that makes Star Trek intrresting is at all present in Mass Effect, aside from both being sci-fi they have nothing in common

You bang blue space ladies

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Oh, and Joker's digital hat in one of the endings.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
A mass effect game about first contact missions would be cool

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

thrilla in vanilla posted:

A mass effect game about first contact missions would be cool

Have you heard of Mass Effect: Andromeda?

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

also, I'm disappointed the old N7 hoodie isn't back, they got the elite and the stealth but those are both ugly, and my N7 hoodie has been through some poo poo.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 19, 2021

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

PSA: If you're playing on PC with keyboard and mouse and you're having issues with camera stuttering in ME1, the fix for me was to decrease my report rate in my mouse software from 1000 to 500/s. I have no idea why that was causing stuttering but now it's smooth as heck.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Anyone else getting any graphical bugs in ME2 on Origin? Kasumi is solid black and so is Jacobs hair also the picture frame in the captains quarters is all static looking. It just started happening after the last patch. I tried turning off dynamic shadows and ambient occlusion but nothing seems to work.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Literally nothing that makes Star Trek intrresting

That's true.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Ethiser posted:

Have you heard of Mass Effect: Andromeda?

Yeah I heard that by the time you get to play the game first contact has already been made so not really what I’m looking for

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Well I just finished my insanity engineer me1 playthrough. This playthrough my Shepard was mostly renegade without being space racist.she saved the council but has no qualms about summarily killing bad guys or being an rear end to get her way.The only achievement I'm missing is paramour since my lady Shepard has only one true love and that is the Normandy.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

The only achievement I'm missing is paramour since my lady Shepard has only one true love and that is the Normandy.

I got bad news about the start of mass effect 2

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

To confirm what people said earlier in the thread, level 30 definitely seems impossible to reach outside of some sort of serious experience exploits. I hit 29 in the last mission in a completionist playthrough with 465k exp, and the last level requires 662,100. Game really is great in this edition.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Chucktesla posted:

I got bad news about the start of mass effect 2

I never said it was gonna be easy being the commander.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
PCGamer's review of the remake of 1 made me realize something.

quote:

If that kind of detail bugs you, wait till Mass Effect has someone cloned by an alien plant multiple times, each clone emerging from a pod fully clothed and carrying a gun. 
https://www.pcgamer.com/mass-effect-1-legendary-edition-review/

Hey, that's a good point! How the hell is that supposed to work?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

William Bear posted:

PCGamer's review of the remake of 1 made me realize something.

https://www.pcgamer.com/mass-effect-1-legendary-edition-review/

Hey, that's a good point! How the hell is that supposed to work?
How is every clone in SF ever somehow fully an adult when they pop out of their tank?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Thorian eats guns duh

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
Why doesn't Mass Effect work with Xbox quick resume? The 360 games work perfectly fine...

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
In Mass Effect 1, is there a way to get the biotic powers to home on targets at all? I remember they do to some degree in ME2 and 3, but I keep having throw hit crates or walls and completely miss whatever I'm actually trying to hit.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Is it just me or did they fix Miranda's chipmunk cheeks?

e: gently caress, I've played too much ME3. I keep forgetting that only Warp is a detonator in ME2, and that tech combos aren't a thing yet.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 19, 2021

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

azflyboy posted:

In Mass Effect 1, is there a way to get the biotic powers to home on targets at all? I remember they do to some degree in ME2 and 3, but I keep having throw hit crates or walls and completely miss whatever I'm actually trying to hit.

Nope. You just have to accept that they are very powerful but situational powers.

Playing Vanguard in 2 and loving how intense it plays. Charge in, pray you don't get shredded and go ham while Garrus and Jack obliterate everyone on the periphery.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Kobal2 posted:

I'm sure you can play the class more action-y, using cloak to race into a flanking position your squad pins them down for example but doing the whack-a-mole waist-high wall thing was good 'nuff for me at the time ; especially since infils are quite squishy.
I recently did a trilogy playthrough on insanity as an infiltrater, and that's how I ended up playing. I did tend to hunker down more early on, but once you start leveling up and get a good SMG you become a flanking machine. It's a lot of fun.

The cloak is really powerful. It pretty much gives you control of the entire battlefield at will and will save you from getting killed nearly every time.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I only wish that the SP cloak upgrades in ME3 didn't heavily favor sniper rifles. Geth Hunter/EDIbot with a big gently caress you shotgun was my go-to in multiplayer.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Theotus posted:

For those of you with experience on insanity in ME1, could I safely get away with cutting 7 points from Tactical Armor (unlocks medium armor) for Vanguard? I don't plan on doing a bunch of runs for free charm points, so I need to find 8 points to drop in there.

It is either that or trimming capstones for other abilities.

Vanguards get Barrier right ? If so, that's more than enough.
The Insanity experience is a bit weird and X-COMy - the early game is a painful slog because the DPS vs. bullet spongyness gap is real (also most melee stuff one shots you) but then you start finding 3 slot weapons, extended rails and explosive ammo and you're back on familiar "I point my boomstick at you and you're instantly deleted" ground. The final arena of Bring Down The Sky was still tense though - stupid sabotaging bitch bots that can't be singularitized !

azflyboy posted:

Not really, but you can to some extent aim AoE powers at the ground next to cover and hit what's behind it.

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 19, 2021

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Hmm just beat ME1 - had a great time and Saren was cool and kind of different I guess. I feel like I did a lot of side missions but drat I skipped like 40% of them because the mako is not exactly fun outside missions. The final run from Ilos was really fun and quite well done for 2007.

I didn’t use powers as much as I feel like I did in ME2 (the only one I’ve ever played) so I’m looking forward to it. ME1 sets everything up well and the codecs were nice.

gently caress all that constant trash gear though! Ahhh!

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

SettingSun posted:

This was a problem in the original too. Even when I successfully use the charm option in the SI office and the guards are like "we never saw each other", when that cutscene ends they open fire anyway.

I'm pretty sure this just removes some enemies from the fight. Still gotta fight the rest, I very much doubt this was ever meant to be a stealth mission. Besides, there are literally zero consequences for killing them all, you can even go and talk to Captain Matsuo directly afterwards, tell her you're the one who killed them all, but because they were working under the table for Anoleis, she just groans and says this is why she tells her people not to do poo poo like that, and then completely lets you off the hook for it. She even goes so far as to thank you for your honesty before leaving to fill out the paperwork over the dead officers.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
When I played the game the first time, Shepard was a level-headed and reasonable man that made the tough calls but never crossed the line. This time around, she is a war criminal that immediately results to threats, demeans and derides everyone, and doesn't give a poo poo about anything other than getting the job done. It's glorious.

Also, Sniper Rifles feel a lot better in ME1 than I remember.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Chocobo posted:

When I played the game the first time, Shepard was a level-headed and reasonable man that made the tough calls but never crossed the line. This time around, she is a war criminal that immediately results to threats, demeans and derides everyone, and doesn't give a poo poo about anything other than getting the job done. It's glorious.

A true Renegade playthrough is hilarious because the Renegade character is written so unbelievably stupidly. You'd think Renegade Shep would be some brilliant but cold, calculating clinical psychopath tactician, never showing his hand but always having an ulterior motive or something like that, but it's not that at all. Instead, Renegade Shep, at least the male version, is written like a middle school bully who is always as mean and belligerent as possible 100% of the time, no matter what, even when it actively hurts him. And it's really excellent to watch "Commander Shepard: Space rear end in a top hat" play out like that on camera.

And sniper rifles in ME1 rule now. There's no more random swaying when you aim.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 19, 2021

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Chocobo posted:

You remember right. They were awful until you had a ton of points in them and/or plenty of mods. Just "drunken grizzly pawing at a gun" scope sway back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

that article is right and it was true back in 2007 too, it always had a very juvenile military worship energy that reads as though the writers had very limited interaction with the real world.

which, they were a bunch of white techies from Alberta, literally every level of government had been failing them their entire lives but the extremely slipshod nature of the CF hadn't yet been exposed. It probably is indicative of their experience that Mass Effect is so vanilla.

CSPAM posting about vidyagames