Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
I like that red one a lot esp with the LSD but nothing weirds me out more than a good price on a Porsche where the owner knows the weak points so well. If you can test drive it without being overly attached, that's what I'd still go for though.

In related news, my 911's battery died and NAPA did me a solid of not punching my original AGM battery dates so now I can't easily warranty it so they can eat poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
The silver one is the only one close enough for me to test drive.

The red guy actually leads the ad with the front facing pic. Eggs are in.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

drat, I just looked on Auto Tempest and there is not much in the way of 996.1, manual, Carrera coupe inventory out there.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Motronic posted:

By the way, I need to circle back around and say I love that car. You done good.

Color could be better, but eh, same resale silver I've got so I get it.

Thanks, I am ok with the grey since everything else about it is so good. There is a used CD place near me I am going to visit soon so I can fill up the cd changer and just roll with it.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

BigPaddy posted:

Thanks, I am ok with the grey since everything else about it is so good. There is a used CD place near me I am going to visit soon so I can fill up the cd changer and just roll with it.

That reminds me of my old Cayman ritual: reloading the changer magazine twice a month from a folder I kept in the glovebox

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

BigPaddy posted:

You can always get it wrapped in Miami Blue or gold or whatever

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

BigPaddy posted:

I'm excited to do this for the M5 pre two day drive for moving.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

dema posted:

drat, I just looked on Auto Tempest and there is not much in the way of 996.1, manual, Carrera coupe inventory out there.

Yeah poo poo is crazy out there right now. Case in point:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1999-porsche-911-carrera-194/

Your car continues to be stunning btw. Blue and/or dark green are my first choice colors.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I looked at a few 996 before buying my 997 Boxster S. I would have looked harder and been willing to travel for a nice 996 if I didn’t want a soft top. I have a weird thing about buying convertibles that were designed to be convertibles after having a few where they were coupes with the roof cut off and just feeling really sloppy when you pushed them. So I stuck with a newer and upper spec version of the car I knew and only sold because paying 20% of a car value to ship it didn’t seem like a good idea when I had offers for $4k more than I paid for it 18 months before.

If I could have any 911 it would be a Black 964 Turbo like the one in Wangan Midnight but they start at $200k right now and Carrera that isn’t a basket case is like $80k when I last looked. Honestly at that price I would get a Gallardo LP560-2 with a gated manual :discourse:

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

BigPaddy posted:

I would get a Gallardo LP560-2 with a gated manual :discourse:
LP550-2 but good choice friend :discourse:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

You can always get it wrapped in Miami Blue or gold or whatever

Miami Blue is the best porsche color.

Although the had a Gentian Blue on their instagram the other day that was pretty spectacular too.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

willroc7 posted:

gently caress I kinda like the ambers, especially on the rear on this one...
https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/cto/d/porsche-911-carrera-all-original/7322929218.html

That's the one I'd be after.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1996-porsche-911-carrera-56/

Well poo poo.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Going to look at the silver one tomorrow if all goes according to plan. Any last minute tips? Is there a way figure out what the options sticker would have had from the VIN? WP0AA2995XS620100

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

willroc7 posted:

Going to look at the silver one tomorrow if all goes according to plan. Any last minute tips? Is there a way figure out what the options sticker would have had from the VIN? WP0AA2995XS620100

Well poo poo, I used to use this one and now it absolutely sucks: https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/check-lookup/WP0AA2995XS620100

All of the other ones I've used I've checked and they are all poo poo now too. What the hell is going on? This used to show option codes on the car.

When you go look at it take a picture of the options sticker (on the frunk lid) and you can decode them here manually: https://www.kindel.com/porsche/options

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Motronic posted:

Well poo poo, I used to use this one and now it absolutely sucks: https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/check-lookup/WP0AA2995XS620100

All of the other ones I've used I've checked and they are all poo poo now too. What the hell is going on? This used to show option codes on the car.

When you go look at it take a picture of the options sticker (on the frunk lid) and you can decode them here manually: https://www.kindel.com/porsche/options

The options sticker is gone! Wasn’t replaced I guess when it was damaged and repaired in the front in 2004. I guess I’d have to call a dealer?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

willroc7 posted:

Usually vinanalytics.com is great for these, but unfortunately yours doesn’t work. :(

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

willroc7 posted:

The options sticker is gone! Wasn’t replaced I guess when it was damaged and repaired in the front in 2004. I guess I’d have to call a dealer?

Sorry, didn't mean the didn't exist anymore, it's just they aren't free. Suncoast is legit, I've bought parts form them but they are also in on the scummy game now: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/VIN.html?Category_Code=987c2maint

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

Usually vinanalytics.com is great for these, but unfortunately yours doesn’t work. :(

Ohhh...that one still works for the Cayenne and yeah, totally doesn't work for willrocs vin. That's odd. Maybe because I was using that VIN the others looked like they changed.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Motronic posted:

Sorry, didn't mean the didn't exist anymore, it's just they aren't free. Suncoast is legit, I've bought parts form them but they are also in on the scummy game now: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/VIN.html?Category_Code=987c2maint

Thanks this is still a good resource. I’ll run it through after the test drive, assuming all goes well. I’ll take a bunch of pics as well so y’all can save me from myself, like last time.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

willroc7 posted:

It's really early. Mine ends in 62309x and it was mid 98 production IIRC.

That's not a bad thing.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

willroc7 posted:

Is there a way figure out what the options sticker would have had from the VIN?

It's a longshot, but pull the manual(s) out of the glovebox and see if the window sticker got tucked in there.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

996.1's don't have a glovebox :eng101:

But they do have a little tray right under the steering column, and that is actually a really good idea. Make sure you take a look to see if the manual/owners package is there when you go drive it. They very often grow legs.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

I saw it today and it was quite good. Looked better than the photos in my mind and drove pretty perfectly. The options sticker was there after all, lol. I don't have a ton of time to post right now but here are a bunch of pics. Is the little bit of corrosion around the one door striker a concern? I couldn't find any other spots on the car. The headlights also have a weird gap underneath them, but I don't know if that's normal.

https://imgur.com/a/X3a2gqt

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

willroc7 posted:

I saw it today and it was quite good. Looked better than the photos in my mind and drove pretty perfectly. The options sticker was there after all, lol. I don't have a ton of time to post right now but here are a bunch of pics. Is the little bit of corrosion around the one door striker a concern? I couldn't find any other spots on the car. The headlights also have a weird gap underneath them, but I don't know if that's normal.

Porsche bodies are galvanized, so any rust usually is indicative of a repair. The rust around the door strike is very odd.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

McTinkerson posted:

Porsche bodies are galvanized, so any rust usually is indicative of a repair. The rust around the door strike is very odd.

The options sticker indicates that this is a very, very base 996

I also find the rust on the door strike to be disturbing, and would disqualify on that basis, but then I have the luxury of living on the West Coast

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

got off on a technicality posted:

The options sticker indicates that this is a very, very base 996

That has nothing to do with it. All bodies of all 911s have been hot dip galvanized since the late 70s.

E: Oh you aren't saying that has anything to do with it, sorry.

And yeah, that's a stripper model. Not that there's anything wrong with that at the right price.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Would you bite at $22k? That appears to be his bottom dollar.

edit: light googling shows the door striker rust being somewhat common on early 996's. Is that true?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

willroc7 posted:

I'm not comfortable saying in this stupidest of timelines, where in this very thread a year or so ago I was saying "wait for it, wait for it....we're all gonna be able to buy cheap used Porsches!"

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

willroc7 posted:

edit: light googling shows the door striker rust being somewhat common on early 996's. Is that true?

That seems like a lot for a stripper 996, but who knows these days. Otoh, if you’re not in a rush maybe wait for the next one, unless this one is really speaking to you?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

That seems like a lot for a stripper 996, but who knows these days.

It was not that long ago I was saying "$30k seems like a lot for a 996 turbo.....maybe I'll wait."

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

It is the cleanest one I’ve driven so far and I’m not the kind of person who pushes a car enough to appreciate an LSD or sport suspension. The seller also gave me a good vibe. Middle aged lawyer type who mostly bought new porches. He is selling this one to help pay for his son’s 70k/year dental school.

However I am not dead set on it. I want to do some more research on the door striker corrosion and see how expensive or necessary to fix that would be.

I’m not pressured to buy but the prices are skyrocketing and I don’t see any reason for them to go down. Do you all? The seller is convinced he could fix the minor problems and list it on BAT for 25k+. With damage on the carfax, a little corrosion, and basically no options, I’m not so sure.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

If you're happy with the car get a PPI from a reputable indy or dealer. Go from there.

If he balks at a PPI run away.

And forget about the IMS. A redline a day keep the IMS bearing failure away.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

The IMS has already been done.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

willroc7 posted:

The IMS has already been done.

Oh sorry, I was looking at the ad for the red one.

Either way, redline regularly.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Just putting this here
https://youtu.be/QAxxJ2i28PQ

willroc7 posted:

I see a lot more surface rust underside. Jack point area, fasteners, etc. Looks like a pretty good oil leak on the engine too (AOS?).

I'm not saying the rust is anything but surface or serious, but I've never seen anything like that in my limited experience.

I'm not sure what those gaps are under the corner markers of the headlights. I don't think I've got anything like that - I'll take a look.

I wonder if it has something to do with headlight washers... even though yours doesn't have washers? One thing that is weird is that while it appears to have Xenons (and fairly clouded headlight covers), it does not have code 601 for the Xenons. That tells me someone retrofitted them and may/may not have put the autolevelers on. And I don't think I've seen a Xenon without washers... but I can't say I've really looked.

I wonder if it got into a front end accident and was replaced with a different cover?. The more I look at it, that front nose might have a slightly different spray... but boy it's so slight I might be seeing things.

I don't know man, there are some weird things going on there. Not necessarily a big deal, just strange.

Personally, I'd inquire on that red one. But I've always been a sucker for red 911s with a rear wiper.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 22, 2021

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

On further look I'm 100% sure someone retrofitted that to Xenon. It's too much of a coincidence that the Xenon isn't on the option codes and it doesn't have the headlight washer. Porsche PET doesn't even show a Xenon without it (you can see the hole for the nozzle). I don't know if you can retrofit a xenon without including the levellers but my concern is if they didn't. For comparison, my profile photo is the standard halogen fried egg with the appropriate OEM corner marker. I believe the only way you get clear without washer is the European OEM with Halogen lights.

e: To be clear, I'm not saying the retrofit is necessarily a bad thing. If it was done correctly and with the OEM levelling system (probably plug and play?) it should be fine, but it would be odd if the owner was completely oblivious to it. You would think he'd point it out if he had that done. It would not be an inexpensive retrofit short of finding a write-off that he could get parts for dirt cheap. Not the kind of thing most middle aged lawyers probably do in their spare time.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 22, 2021

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

I emailed the red one but no response. He must be getting hammered with inquiries. The silver one did have front damage in 2004 so that all tracks. With the surface rust, apparent oil leak, and the seller’s confidence they could sell it 25k+ on BaT (he won’t go below 22), I think I’m going to pass.

A “so good it must be a scam” deal on an RS4 just got posted near me...

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Also thank you slidebite and everyone else who commented. Beyond helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
This is a terrible time to try and find a good 911. Nothing but garbage everywhere.