Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guttlesswonder
Mar 17, 2006

I'll take two adult and two kids tickets for "Alien Erection" please
Fat Flaw: Supernatural Monopoly has a cheeseburger token! Also, there is a Supernatural Monopoly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Literally everything eventually gets a Monopoly tie in

This is a real example

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PinheadSlim posted:

They were so unfun they got kicked out of England for being buzz kills

England

Explains a lot about Nixon

Guttlesswonder
Mar 17, 2006

Bummed that they don't just give you minifigures to gently caress up with poor dry brushing skills.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Guttlesswonder posted:

Fat Flaw: Supernatural Monopoly has a cheeseburger token! Also, there is a Supernatural Monopoly

PinheadSlim posted:

Literally everything eventually gets a Monopoly tie in

This is a real example

:confuoot:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Instead of jail it’s just a fascist shooting you in the head

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The Supernatural one makes little sense. If it was a board game about brotherly love and angel sex orgies then I'd understand. That sounds more like something their fans could enjoy.

Edit: How did Supernatural get 15 seasons. Imagine being an actor having to play the same character for 15 years. It's a steady paycheck, but they must have been bored out of their minds after 5 or 6.

itry fucked around with this message at 06:09 on May 19, 2021

Guttlesswonder
Mar 17, 2006

itry posted:

The Supernatural one makes little sense. If it was a board game about brotherly love and angel sex orgies then I'd understand. That sounds more like something their fans could enjoy.

Yeah, that's why I got this one instead...I mean for someone as a gag gift...naturally...

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Acting is a hard thing to land consistent work, especially TV and the landscape is littered with people who thought they could go onto some bigger project and left a sure thing to crash and burn. Also it doesn't hurt when you get paid 175,000 per episode and have a networth around 15 million

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Guttlesswonder posted:

Sammy!

jokes posted:

You’re telling me the group of people called “the quakers” didn’t do anything else for fun except play board games?

I guess they played quake probably.

sad question
May 30, 2020

itry posted:

Edit: How did Supernatural get 15 seasons. Imagine being an actor having to play the same character for 15 years. It's a steady paycheck, but they must have been bored out of their minds after 5 or 6.

Sounds like a job then.

Edit: Every now and then I look up what weird Monopoly variant they came up with, it's fun

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

itry posted:

After the first 5 season and the X-files heritage sort of died off it began a 10 season quest to turn into scoobydoo basically. At one point it actually did turn into scooby doo.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

itry posted:

Now imagine doing that while knowing that thousands and thousands of words have been typed about you loving your co-star

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Flannelette posted:

After the first 5 season and the X-files heritage sort of died off it began a 10 season quest to turn into scoobydoo basically. At one point it actually did turn into scooby doo.

I actually watched that episode. It was ok. But yeah, I think the first two seasons were good, but then the third was kind of meandering and I lost interest in the show.

Barudak posted:

Acting is a hard thing to land consistent work, especially TV and the landscape is littered with people who thought they could go onto some bigger project and left a sure thing to crash and burn. Also it doesn't hurt when you get paid 175,000 per episode and have a networth around 15 million

Was that their pay? More than I expected.

Yeah, it's a job. But actors usually like doing different things whenever they can. Especially if they don't need the money.

Guttlesswonder posted:

Yeah, that's why I got this one instead...I mean for someone as a gag gift...naturally...

:hmmyes:

Nooner posted:

Now imagine doing that while knowing that thousands and thousands of words have been typed about you loving your co-star

It's brothely love :wiggle:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

He’s living the high life— steady, massive paycheck from a really dumb show and an adoring fanbase from playing Dean in Gilmore girls. Don’t begrudge TV actors for not being Leonardo DiCaprio, their life is absolutely incredible if they don’t have dependency issues.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I was thinking more John Barrowman. DiCaprio is a brand.

And :lol: at Gilmore Girls. I forgot he was in that. Also in Smallville. It's the Dean Extended Universe.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Flannelette posted:

The Scooby-Doo gang being told monsters are real was P hilarious

Barudak
May 7, 2007

itry posted:

Was that their pay? More than I expected.

By the end, yeah. One of the two also directed 9(?) episodes so he got to do some other kinds of work that maybe he'll try to parlay into a new kind of work.

Its hard for me to get upset somebody takes a steady excellent paycheck instead of gambling on a new thing

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Dean is the worst Gilmore Girls boyfriend.

I know this is the video game opinion thread, but Dean was a truly awful, possessive, and ultimately unfaithful piece of poo poo. His continued adoration by Gilmore Girls fans blows my mind.

Dark Souls 3 is the Dean of Dark Souls. People who think it was really good are loving wrong-o, but for some reason people keep on saying that. DS1 baby.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Barudak posted:

By the end, yeah. One of the two also directed 9(?) episodes so he got to do some other kinds of work that maybe he'll try to parlay into a new kind of work.

Its hard for me to get upset somebody takes a steady excellent paycheck instead of gambling on a new thing

Oh, I'm not upset at all. It's just that I expect artistic types to usually try out various things for the sake of it.

jokes posted:

Dark Souls 3 is the Dean of Dark Souls. People who think it was really good are loving wrong-o, but for some reason people keep on saying that. DS1 baby.

:yeah:

The actual movement and animation felt more refined in DS3, and the graphics were better. But in every other way it wasn't as good as DS1.

itry fucked around with this message at 06:45 on May 19, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I liked Dean Soul's 2 even if it was a real mess of a game but Deanborne was just the pinnacle

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

itry posted:

Think of the poor plumbers and rear end doctors, condemned to look at the same asses/ballcocks all their days

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

jokes posted:

Dean is the worst Gilmore Girls boyfriend.

I know this is the video game opinion thread, but Dean was a truly awful, possessive, and ultimately unfaithful piece of poo poo. His continued adoration by Gilmore Girls fans blows my mind.

Gilmore Souls

itry
Aug 23, 2019

sebmojo posted:

Think of the poor plumbers and rear end doctors, condemned to look at the same asses/ballcocks all their days

Hey, every rear end in a top hat is unique.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Barudak posted:

I liked Dean Soul's 2 even if it was a real mess of a game but Deanborne was just the pinnacle

Bloodborne is Jess, obviously

Too perfect to become a real thing. Cursed to be a one-off despite its obvious superiority

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Who is Bobby then?

Guttlesswonder
Mar 17, 2006

Barudak posted:

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

They got to be major hotties for season after season and do fun dumb stories on TV for a steady paycheck, not even bruce campbell got to do that.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Yeah how horrible to do a chill job for 15 years and become a multimillionaire

Net Worth: $14 Million
Salary: $175 Thousand Per Episode

Collapsing Farts fucked around with this message at 08:02 on May 19, 2021

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
-1 Morale
Great now I'm thinking about how I don't have lots of money like those actors. gently caress it, Hobocop.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

itry posted:

RPG's don't have to have a seperate gameplay system just for hitting things.

No, but the mechanics get oversold as figuring out how to do an RPG without combat. In promotional material you see a lot of stuff like where you try to kick down the door and just fail miserably, like the game is really reactive to the way you build your character. It's not. It mostly boils down to different dialog options that lead to the same place.

It's not bad. I like the game well enough, but it certainly doesn't occupy the same space I'm looking for when I want to play an RPG.

If I have any problem with it, it's that it's touted as so impressive for replacing combat. But with what? more sentences about how you are the biggest communist? The answer is nothing. It's just a CYOA book with a nice presentation and only one ending. That's fine. But it's nothing like playing a CRPG.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's just not for you

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Disco Elysium is really good, i was wary with the gushingly unanimous praise but its doing something fairly unique and the writing is best in class. Overrated? Probably and i can see why someone wouldn't be engaged with its style or mechanics but as videogames go its 1000 times more interesting than whatever 3rd person shooter is being gushed over this month

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

jokes posted:

You’re telling me the group of people called “the quakers” didn’t do anything else for fun except play board games?

These days I think they prefer to be called seismologists

itry
Aug 23, 2019

veni veni veni posted:

No, but the mechanics get oversold as figuring out how to do an RPG without combat. In promotional material you see a lot of stuff like where you try to kick down the door and just fail miserably, like the game is really reactive to the way you build your character. It's not. It mostly boils down to different dialog options that lead to the same place.

It's not bad. I like the game well enough, but it certainly doesn't occupy the same space I'm looking for when I want to play an RPG.

If I have any problem with it, it's that it's touted as so impressive for replacing combat. But with what? more sentences about how you are the biggest communist? The answer is nothing. It's just a CYOA book with a nice presentation and only one ending. That's fine. But it's nothing like playing a CRPG.

The case doesn't change, no. But the main character changes, and the people he interacts with change with him. And it didn't replace combat, it just uses the same system as everything else. I guess there isn't enough shooting/violence in the game, but that's fine. If I want to kill hundreds of enemies I'll play BG.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I really like disco elysium despite being heavily skeptical of its universal praise. I also read a lot of Real Literature so I know which words are the good ones and which ones are the bad ones. The writing in disco elysium is Pretty Good For a Video Game in that it works phenomenally well with the presentation, voice performances, and reactivity to player choice. If it was just prose written in a novel I think it would come across as fairly sophomoric, but it's gotten several Sensible Chuckles out of me so far.

Complaining that it's Just Not a CRPG seems sorta pedantic to me since there's obviously a gradient in this area

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

They banned Disco Elysium at first in Australia but they recently unbanned it and i'm really excited to play it. The voice acting from the main character sounds so cool from the clips I have seen.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Probably because of all the drugs. I wonder what changed their mind.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

itry posted:

Probably because of all the drugs. I wonder what changed their mind.

It never actually stopped being sold even though it was banned. I'd guess the reason they changed their mind is they sent it to the review board that actually has the time and ability to do more than tick and cross boxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

quote:

Disco Elysium: The Final Cut was originally refused classification in Australia a couple of months back. The decision meant that unless developer ZA/UM censors or made changes to Disco Elysium: The Final Cut, the game was not be permitted to go on sale because the game deals with "matters of sex, drug misuse or addiction, crime, cruelty, violence or revolting or abhorrent phenomena in such a way that they offend against the standards of morality, decency and propriety generally accepted by reasonable adults".
After the appeal:

quote:

Now, however, the Review Board claims that the game offers "sufficient disincentives to drug use to enable it to be accommodated within the R 18+ classification".

"In the Review Board's opinion," the website says, "this game provides disincentives related to drug-taking behavior, to the point where regular drug use leads to negative consequences for the player's progression in the game. The game mechanic is designed to disincentivize and penalize increased consumption of drugs."