Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Altera's business practices are based on real world equivalents. It's a real transparent parallel to the old West Virginia coal mines (among a few other examples).

They would give you housing and food on a scrip currency and basically turn their employees into indentured servants. All the sudden you don't have any possessions or resources that aren't under company control and they have full control over the economy they've created.

The situation Alterra created is arguably worse because it's a hell of a lot harder to leave a spaceship than a coal town in West Virginia - if you get disgruntled and decide you'd rather be a hobo than effective slave labor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Just realize this game doesn't have autosave after the game crashed and I hadn't created a save file yet, that's three hours I'm not getting back. Literally starting from the beginning of the game.

:suicide:

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Bedshaped posted:

take out 'reckless' and this is basically a microbiologist's job description.

Is Alterra supposed to be like evil because everything I remember is that they're just a bunch of corporate douches.

Yes, basically this is what I'm trying to say. Subnautica had a whole lol libertarian-capitalist bent, most of the PDA talking about your bill just feels tongue-in-cheek so all of that stuff is just more humorous than evil.

If you look back at the lore, Alterra ended the big war between all the transgovs by refusing to sell arms to all sides and basically pulling a Stark Industries. They got out of the weapons business and shifted to making spaceships and consumer electronics. In Subnautica they were responding to a distress signal, not evil. In BZ, who even knows why they're there? It seems like the primary facility is just there to study pengwings and make toy robots. The Architect study is apparently some sort of punishment nowhere job that alterra doesn't care about. The Kharaa they just stumbled on. Looking at the datapad for omega, they talk about mutating it to create life saving treatments. Nothing about lethality or transmission. So yes, studying Kharaa might be a bad idea. But bombing the containment facilities and releasing it into the wild definitely seems like a bad idea.

Edit: Also Alterra is the one off fighting the hordes of Kharaa that are trying to overrun humanity, so that too.

Nukelear v.2 fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 18, 2021

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

Bedshaped posted:

take out 'reckless' and this is basically a microbiologist's job description.

Is Alterra supposed to be like evil because everything I remember is that they're just a bunch of corporate douches.

In my reading Alterra is more of comic nightmare corporation which people really dislike than something really and truly evil in diabolical sense. They're the horrible combination of bureocracy, ineptitude and sovereignity and their HR is loving horrendous.

Alterra basically employs some form of corporate legalese serfdom (Original Subnautica is filled with this - each piece of titanium you pick is Alterra's property and you're supposed to pay it back with work). Their employers don't appear to always be the sharpest tools in the shed, and are so brainwashed they even have relationship contracts. Alterra has all sorts of magnificent tech at your disposal - if you pay for it even in life or death situation - and at the same time their corporate culture is indifferent, tired and prone to simply forgetting stuff that is vital to some employer's survival. Their bosses frequently rag on subordinates who make sensible choices to the point where there is often a sense of near mutiny, and personal feuds and problems are rife. Resource assignation is really bad with wrong wares sent everywhere; there is a crazy amount of bad mid-level management, and there is a gigantic focus on profits even at the face of actual monsters trying to eat you. Then this bunch of clowns tries to run research on Kharaa bacteria and get a hold on phase gates and throws surveillance equipment all over the place. It's like Dunder Mifflin Paper Company got a GDP of a medium star system and decided to go conquer the galaxy.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You're just describing evil but then shrugging about it idgi

Also maybe watch spoilers? in my game I'm so far just helping my alien bro find a new body, even though if I were the PC, I'd be ecstatic to share mine with it. I could not disagree any harder with what the PC says in regards to the weakness of human mortality, discontinuity, and individualism. I guess I'm also looking for presumably dead sister, found out about her pengling spies and the corpo bs going on with her focuses but haven't actually found the pengling place yet, haven't really looked yet I guess and lol I forgot where I even found that place, IIRC I just was swimming under glaciers exploring and popped up for air and it lead to a facility. I'm down for the journey of fighting against alterra but kind of robs the reveal knowing it now lol

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

someone pointed out that for all its grim dystopia cyperpunk Union Pacific aesthetic the Hardspace corporation is absurdly generous compared to any real-world conglomerate, what with giving you infinite fresh ships to work on without charging some kind of heinous per-unit fee or penalizing you for leaving the worthless parts behind, and reincarnating dead employees (for only $150k! I couldn't get an organ replaced let alone a whole body for $150k!) instead of just moving on to the next desperate sucker and all, and now that's all I can think about when playing it

same tbqh

Haha I hadn't thought of that at the time, I did enjoy the game concept itself and wanted to revisit it once it's more rounded out and released proper. I think that framing will help the medicine go down.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 18, 2021

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the relationship contract thing was some top tier libertarianese and I kinda wish the games had a lil more of it

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
How's this on a regular degular PS4? I noticed the base game is much improved on there

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I don't think Alterra are evil, per se, but messing about creating new mutations of a bacteria that wiped out half the galaxy seems a Bad Idea. Khara basically needs to be exterminated before some kind of resistant strain emerges.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
My assumption is that Alterra was really on the planet to research Kharaa and the other projects were to make a buck on the side if possible. Spy Penglings and Architect research had no expectations of success so if they paid off it was just an added bonus. Why else make half of your research team micro biologists or even bring along a security officer?

But I agree the game isn't good at painting the picture why Alterra is bad news. The background lore in both games helps a lot but they could be clearer about it even without being obvious or in your face.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Khanstant posted:

The logs confused me first few times, and they also had a tendency to pile up, walk into drop pod and suddenly you wrote 5 journal entries while something is trying to call you and you're trying to read something else.

I assume I'm playing slower than most people and I think I'd be pretty annoyed if at any point my nuclear rod needed to be replaced or even was visibly drained. It's the literal nuclear option when it comes to power and even in a videogame world where days are 20 minutes long, no way to spend enough time in this game to drain nuke rods I'd think.

The only time I've ever run through even one full rod was in a base with multiple water filtration units running constantly stockpiling as I emptied them, a ton of batteries and power cell chargers as I toodled around in my cyclops and vehicles and tools non-stop, and, occasionally a spotlight. Spotlights drain power constantly, at an absurd rate, so I generally don't build them even on nuclear bases, only thermal, with, like, one thermal generator per light.

Hell, if there's one thing the devs need to change, it's the absurd spotlight energy consumption rate. Make it, like, 1 per 30 seconds, not 1 per second.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I think Alterra did finally get around to inventing LEDs in BZ

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Alterra sounds... *puts on sunglasses* better than Amazon

The problems are that alterra being poo poo are lost in the back end of text pda entries and wiki pages while everything we directly see and hear in the game is milquetoast stuff about annoying HR reps and corporate secrecy.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I'm gonna go with "they planned to have a more coherent ending but ran out of time". I think the idea was that she was gonna do both things just to be extra thorough, but hosed it up in an extremely improbable way that left everything 99% ready for you to just walk in there and press a button to finish the job

there's a fair few odds and ends in that cave that look to me like leftovers from some bigger plan for it, like a pretty obvious looking alternate entrance in the ice above the leviathan that you can't actually reach

IIRC the game got pretty far along in development then something happened where they fired their writer and re-worked the story from scratch. They probably had a bunch of assets done that they now had to shoehorn into the new world on a compressed timeline.

link: https://unknownworlds.com/subnautica/the-future-of-below-zeros-story/

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I seem to be stuck in my progress - I got 2 of the 3 McGuffin recipes - I'm missing the organs and I have no clue where to even start looking. I guess it's possible that I missed a hint during the 1000 dialogs, I know there was a hint that didn't have an accompanying waypoint for the one item in the northwest of the map, but at the moment I'm just randomly traveling around hoping to trigger some dialog or anything. I also don't know where to even create the 2 recipes I already got. Help?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

go deeper

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

PokeJoe posted:

go deeper

Oh, I totally forgot about that area, or maybe more correctly, I wanted to forget. Were there any breadcrumbing that should lead you there, or is it just something the player is expected to stumble upon?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

ymgve posted:

I seem to be stuck in my progress - I got 2 of the 3 McGuffin recipes - I'm missing the organs and I have no clue where to even start looking. I guess it's possible that I missed a hint during the 1000 dialogs, I know there was a hint that didn't have an accompanying waypoint for the one item in the northwest of the map, but at the moment I'm just randomly traveling around hoping to trigger some dialog or anything. I also don't know where to even create the 2 recipes I already got. Help?

A general hint would be lilypads

A more involved hint would be there is a plug of ground pulled up b y the lilypads that leads to a cavern with some big white mushrooms, architect area down there.

The parts are manufactured in an area that he hints at

Which is a crystal area deep below Margs place

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

OgNar posted:

A general hint would be lilypads

A more involved hint would be there is a plug of ground pulled up b y the lilypads that leads to a cavern with some big white mushrooms, architect area down there.

The parts are manufactured in an area that he hints at

Which is a crystal area deep below Margs place

Wasn't that the area with the alien skeleton recipe? Guess I missed some dialog there

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
I just realized that it's 2021 and Sealab 2021 takes place in 2021 and this game is basically Sealab 2021. Are there any Easter eggs for that?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
As I understand it, the more random alien locations you find, the more hints you're given to the special locations.

edit: Found it. There are 15 artifacts around to scan. You unlock recipes or signals to those story important things.

Rewards at 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, and 10 scans.

https://subnautica-belowzero.fandom.com/wiki/Architect_Artifacts_(Disambiguation)

Zesty fucked around with this message at 02:53 on May 19, 2021

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Are there any clues as to how to find magnetite and diamonds? I've got that one "pilot last known position" beacon, but I tried going there and not only are a bunch of scary fish there, but my Seatruck is dying and I need upgrades.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Pollyanna posted:

Are there any clues as to how to find magnetite and diamonds? I've got that one "pilot last known position" beacon, but I tried going there and not only are a bunch of scary fish there, but my Seatruck is dying and I need upgrades.

Besides "go deeper", have you tried bringing a laser cutter to hollow icebergs?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

It seems like a lot of people are missing the deep, deep part of the twisty bridges.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I haven't even found all the fragments for that.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Pollyanna posted:

I haven't even found all the fragments for that.

Oh good. You have a short term goal then.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Zesty posted:

Oh good. You have a short term goal then.

:mad: It requires diamonds which I supposedly need the laser cutter to get what da gently caress

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Pollyanna posted:

:mad: It requires diamonds which I supposedly need the laser cutter to get what da gently caress

Diamonds: there's a robo penguin-accessible cave on Delta Island that has 4 diamonds inside, which is probably the easiest way to find diamonds. Various deep spots in the ocean have them too, such as the area with the big thermal gardens south of delta island. If you have the prawn and drill arm, Koppa mines has a drillable diamond. Of course the drill arm requires diamonds, but that may be a good place to check after you get a few, so you can get more.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 19, 2021

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Pollyanna posted:

the vent area near the delta base ramp has some if you go diving in the thermal vents

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Pollyanna posted:

diamond: at the bottom of twisty bridges there is a crack that leads to a deeper level of twisty bridges with tons of diamonds

laser cutter: this one hosed me over too, near the emergency supply drop there is a hole down to a bunch of sea monkey nests that has tons of laser cutter fragments. i totally missed it on my first play thru and didn't get that basic tool until 3/4 of the way through the game.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Diamonds: The first I found were loose diamonds in the ceiling of the first room of the Kappa mines. Not too deep, and relatively well signposted with lights once you're in the general area of the mine

Magnetite: Can be found in crevices all around the Robotics Lab. Also in deeper/further out biomes, but at the start I think the lab is the easiest. If you have problems with the wildlife, bring some flares, just holding one in your hand makes the ice beats retreat

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Regarding Sea Monkeys: I had a sea monkey bring me some lead, which was awesome. I saw an entry in the PDA which seemed to imply that I could train the moneys to bring me poo poo, but I'm not quite sure how because I totally do not know when I got that entry. Anyone else got this?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

JerikTelorian posted:

Regarding Sea Monkeys: I had a sea monkey bring me some lead, which was awesome. I saw an entry in the PDA which seemed to imply that I could train the moneys to bring me poo poo, but I'm not quite sure how because I totally do not know when I got that entry. Anyone else got this?

The sea monkeys stop stealing from you and instead start bringing you items once you have Al-An in your head, iirc. I don't believe there's a way to ask for specific items beyond that, I think that's just something Robin says she wish she could do in the voice log.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

PDP-1 posted:

diamond: at the bottom of twisty bridges there is a crack that leads to a deeper level of twisty bridges with tons of diamonds

I found this right near the beginning of the game. I was drowning in diamonds. Still haven't needed to get any more after that first trip.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I am so, so glad that you can obliterate these obnoxious loud-rear end creatures in a single truck bonk. they were really wearing on my sanity and the area around my house is now a lot quieter.

these squid-faced guys do take a lot more than one bonk to go down, except with the afterburner you can keep up with them as they run away and clip into them for nonstop bonks until they drop a second later. Beep beep motherfucker :getin:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

in below zero I found the nuclear reactor but not the radiation suit or nuclear waste disposal bin. were those removed in below zero and are they not necessary to use the nuclear reactor? I never used nuclear in subnautica so I don't know how it works.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
I know the waste disposal bin still exists, I've scanned it. I don't know about the suit, but it was only used for getting to the Aurora in the first game so I'm not sure they brought it over.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

in below zero I found the nuclear reactor but not the radiation suit or nuclear waste disposal bin. were those removed in below zero and are they not necessary to use the nuclear reactor? I never used nuclear in subnautica so I don't know how it works.

I'm not sure I ever used (or had to use) a radiation suit while operating my vanilla reactor, but there's definitely no radiation issue with the BZ version. You get a geiger counter sound when picking up fresh rods, but that's pretty much it.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

JerikTelorian posted:

Duzzy Funlop posted:

The sea monkeys stop stealing from you and instead start bringing you items once you have Al-An in your head, iirc. I don't believe there's a way to ask for specific items beyond that, I think that's just something Robin says she wish she could do in the voice log.

You simply need to pin a recipe to your hud

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

OgNar posted:

You simply need to pin a recipe to your hud

Omg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

when I got back home after finding the nuclear reactor recipe, my game started hitching several times a minute where it hangs entirely for half a second, along with some other frame rate drops below 60. I have no idea why this started now. below zero was running great before this.

this is probably completely unrelated, but at the same time the hitches started, I can no longer run underneath a window on the ceiling in a specific hallway without stopping as if there's an invisible wall there. It only stops me for a second so I can pass through if I keep holding forward, but this happens every time I run underneath the window now.

it's specifically a window on the roof of a 3-way connector hallway. This never happened before, but it now happens in both of two places where I have these windows, and it stops happening if I deconstruct the windows. what the heck?