Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

The Titanic posted:

Like for example, pulling junk from CIGs site:

The Hull E has 98,304 cargo capacity.

The Constellation has 96 cargo capacity.

I don't even know how in a multiplayer game any of this is going to be able to be balanced, especially if they have stuff where some ship can crater an economy for everybody else.

I'm 90% certain that CIG's "plan" for the Hull Whatever problem is that they're going to make "Bulk Cargo Units" which are all the mega haulers can haul. Then they just make it so there's no bulk cargo units filled with anything more valuable than dirt and all the valuable cargo is in the "pick-up and carry" boxes. Ta-Da! All that Hull Whatever cargo space is basically worthless, and only the crates you get from grinding missions count. (Also if they make it so bulk cargo can only be loaded with via a terminal they also "solve" the problem of "how can you load thousands of boxes"?)

It's a stupid work-around and preys upon gullible commandos dreams of being a space trucker tycoon, so it's a perfect fit

Viscous Soda fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

The Titanic posted:

Like for example, pulling junk from CIGs site:

The Hull E has 98,304 cargo capacity.

The Constellation has 96 cargo capacity.

I don't even know how in a multiplayer game any of this is going to be able to be balanced, especially if they have stuff where some ship can crater an economy for everybody else.

For context, in Elite: Dangerous, the Sidewinder is the cheapest, smallest ship in the game. A tiny single-person fighter, everyone starts with one for free. It has a cargo capacity of 16.

The largest and most expensive ship in the game, the Imperial Cutter, has a cargo capacity of 794.

This means that a veteran ED player can carry almost 50 times the cargo of a new player. But in SC, someone who spent 550-650 real life dollars can start out with over a thousand times the carrying capacity of someone with a "large" sized medium freighter that costs millions of credits (or that you can also buy for $225).

What a shitshow.

Deskeletonized
Mar 24, 2021
Regardless of whether or not I believe there are enough true believers to actually support the company, there are definitely some very interesting individuals who are happy to "pledge" absurd amounts of money for not-an-X-Wings. Is the future of AAAAAA game development just finding the shadiest possible way to build mechanisms to hook and addict a playerbase? I know there are a lot justified complaints about lootboxes, but lootboxes seem downright ethical compared to the SC grift. I can only imagine various c-suites and their army of MBAs visibly salivating at the thought of selling .jpegs for four and five figures with no legal mechanism to compel them to deliver a final product.

I know there are a lot of unique features about SC that allow their system to work, but I also know that the gamification of microtransactions and spending is a priority of the big developers and publishers and has been for a while. Is CIG actually doing something revolutionary in its hideously transparent psychological manipulation of its broke-brained remaining spenders? Could we see any of these systems ported over to real games, or has their gamification marched in lockstep with broader trends in the industry and they're only exceptional for the size of their "micro"transactions?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Songbearer posted:

1999's Tanktics! is calling you :3:

Oh my god I played so loving much of this, stacking up huge tank turrets :kimchi:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/AFfWFKb.gifv

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
seal pup's fur must taste great

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

William Bear posted:

This means that a veteran ED player can carry almost 50 times the cargo of a new player. But in SC, someone who spent 550-650 real life dollars can start out with over a thousand times the carrying capacity of someone with a "large" sized medium freighter that costs millions of credits (or that you can also buy for $225).

Elite is further balanced by stations having "Rare" resources that are very high value the farther from the original station they are traded, but low in quantity- so small ships with long jump range can do circuits and still make good money (but the megaships will still beat them, as they should, coming at the end of hundreds of hours of progression).

Star Citizen, on the other hand, is "Balanced" by having literally every trade resource be so rare, and shared globally across all servers, that a single mid-size trade ship visiting an outpost will clear that outpost of all its goods for every server currently running and it will take multiple hours to fill back up. So there will never be a point to the megaships because you can't loving fill them with goods.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

I think y'all have unrealistic expectations for this small indie game that barely entered alpha stage.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Viscous Soda posted:

I'm 90% certain that CIG's "plan" for the Hull Whatever problem is that they're going to make "Bulk Cargo Units" which are all the mega haulers can haul. Then they just make it so there's no bulk cargo units filled with anything more valuable than dirt and all the valuable cargo is in the "pick-up and carry" boxes. Ta-Da! All that Hull Whatever cargo space is basically worthless, and only the crates you get from grinding missions count. (Also if they make it so bulk cargo can only be loaded with via a terminal they also "solve" the problem of "how can you load thousands of boxes"?)

It's a stupid work-around and preys upon gullible commandos dreams of being a space trucker tycoon, so it's a perfect fit

their plan is to never release it in a playable state

bam problem solved before it even began

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009

Deskeletonized posted:

Regardless of whether or not I believe there are enough true believers to actually support the company, there are definitely some very interesting individuals who are happy to "pledge" absurd amounts of money for not-an-X-Wings. Is the future of AAAAAA game development just finding the shadiest possible way to build mechanisms to hook and addict a playerbase? I know there are a lot justified complaints about lootboxes, but lootboxes seem downright ethical compared to the SC grift. I can only imagine various c-suites and their army of MBAs visibly salivating at the thought of selling .jpegs for four and five figures with no legal mechanism to compel them to deliver a final product.

I know there are a lot of unique features about SC that allow their system to work, but I also know that the gamification of microtransactions and spending is a priority of the big developers and publishers and has been for a while. Is CIG actually doing something revolutionary in its hideously transparent psychological manipulation of its broke-brained remaining spenders? Could we see any of these systems ported over to real games, or has their gamification marched in lockstep with broader trends in the industry and they're only exceptional for the size of their "micro"transactions?

Well I thought I was better than star citizers but I recently started buying digital hockey trading cards with real money so it's only a matter of time before I buy a Connor McDavid jpeg for $500. I guess this is just where society is heading and you must embrace it. Buy an Idris Bengal?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Dwesa posted:

seal pup's fur must taste great

Dogs are exactly connoisseurs of fine taste, most will eat a pile of human excrement faster than a star citizen

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Sarsapariller posted:

IT LOOKS LIKE AN XWING I'M BUYING TEN

why not just go play Star Wars: Squadron for like 1/4th the price?

SHUT UP FIDELITY TRUST THE VISION XWING BEST drat SPACE SIM EVER

Its simple really, CR created an ecosystem of FOMO. Regardless of what other games out there actually present and play better than Star Citizen, the sunk cost that backers are experiencing with addition of "NEW" shiny ships just makes them automatically open their wallets.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

no_recall posted:

Its simple really, CR created an ecosystem of FOMO. Regardless of what other games out there actually present and play better than Star Citizen, the sunk cost that backers are experiencing with addition of "NEW" shiny ships just makes them automatically open their wallets.

It just can’t be stressed enough that if you are genuinely into the idea of cool space dogfighting pew pew, rather than whatever weird neckbeard sex slave capitalist powertrip it is that Croberts remaining backers see in their heads, there is a game available where you can actually be in an X Wing in incredibly realistic VR, firing your lazerz at Tie Fighters, looking down at all your cool retro chic controls, and look behind you and there’s R2D2!!! There is no reason to be handing money to a thumb like man who made something vaguely similar 30 years ago.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

TheBombPhilosopher posted:

Has anyone talked about how dumb the offset cannon in the turrent of the space tonk is? It wasn't as noticeable in the pictures, but now that it is in the game it really stands out. Off-setting the gun like that results in an un-equal distribution of forces in the turret when fired. Which is bad. There is a reason every tank in the world (AFAIK), ever, had the gun centerline.

False, but the exceptions are dumb and a tank like that is much dumber.

I'd write some long dissertation about how stupid the guns, vehicles, and aircraft are in Star Citizen but I wouldn't want Chris Roberts Plays Star Citizen to get dethroned as best video ever.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

That would have been funnier but that's Jobbo's gimmick IIRC

Gimmick? Its a loving way of life bub

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Also gently caress all this covid poo poo stay safe you drat goons

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Don't forget to call your parents, because visiting them is a bad idea right now.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
As a reminder, Star Citizen turns 10 this year.

SeaDart
Oct 25, 2020
Free fly week starts this weekend for their big expo thing, and I want to try it with some friends. Does it still run terribly poorly on modern systems? I haven’t been able to upgrade from a 1070 but I have a 10700 And 32GB of RAM.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Much love to you all.

Some day we'll all get to see eachother again and eat poutine and laugh in quebecois at how loving stupid Star Citizen is.

Hell, we'll even visit Turbulent and laugh at them while playing Elite Dangerous across the street using a laptop.

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

Sarsapariller posted:

Star Citizen, on the other hand, is "Balanced" by having literally every trade resource be so rare, and shared globally across all servers, that a single mid-size trade ship visiting an outpost will clear that outpost of all its goods for every server currently running and it will take multiple hours to fill back up. So there will never be a point to the megaships because you can't loving fill them with goods.

The trade discussion is very interesting. What surprises me though is that trade is actually synchronized between all servers. I figured that Tony Zzzzzz talking about his Quanta economy simulation running in the background between all the servers was just hot air that is always one or two major patches away. I would have never thought that CIG would actually be able to synchronize the economy between multiple servers. It's not a huge achievement, but we're talking about a company that fails at every level here.

game good now I guess

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Much love to you all.

Some day we'll all get to see eachother again and eat poutine and laugh in quebecois at how loving stupid Star Citizen is.

Hell, we'll even visit Turbulent and laugh at them while playing Elite Dangerous across the street using a laptop.

Rare clip of the Turbulent guys after finding out about the work by CIG in server meshing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkUAbHs4s7I

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 08:20 on May 19, 2021

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

T … tane?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Knowing Clown Emporium Games it's probably not a background simulation type of thing, but a single database every PU instance connects to for the "economy". With a fancy buzzword name of course, to make it look fidelitious.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
I'd bet an idris that their economic simulation is something to the tune of "if( serverTick % 10000 == 0 ){ availableCargo += 1; }"

Aesaar
Mar 19, 2015
Tony Zurovec should have made Crusader: No Mercy instead of working on this shitshow.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Has anyone made a script that scoops up all the images from a SA thread yet?

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

SirTagz posted:

Well there was that citizen's auto-self-own script. Does that count?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

orcane posted:

Knowing Clown Emporium Games it's probably not a background simulation type of thing, but a single database every PU instance connects to for the "economy". With a fancy buzzword name of course, to make it look fidelitious.

But there's a cron job that randomly fluctuates the price column in the commodities table every hour. That's a simulation, and the cron script runs in the background. Checkmate, fudster!

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

SirTagz posted:

Mirificus-bot?

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

LostRook posted:

My lore is fuzzy but I thought ships purchased with in-game currency were gone after being destroyed while real money purchased ones were insured and therefore lasted forever. Wouldn't that be enough of a theoretical money sink, especially with how fast CiG patches any potential money leak, for slave tears or whatever their accepted currency is?

A lot of the real money ships only comes with 6 month insurance or no insurance at all. How their customers are going to react when they lose their 800$ ship to a griefer five minutes after the game releases we will never know, because the game will never release and the ship insurance thing is just a way for CIG squeeze out a little extra from their whales.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
https://i.imgur.com/yPmCzit.mp4

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Sandweed posted:

A lot of the real money ships only comes with 6 month insurance or no insurance at all. How their customers are going to react when they lose their 800$ ship to a griefer five minutes after the game releases we will never know, because the game will never release and the ship insurance thing is just a way for CIG squeeze out a little extra from their whales.
Some would probably cheer it as another level of realism. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to sell insurance as a subscription for real money, but release won't happen anyway and whales won't lose their chariots.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
Important thing to remember is that you're not buying ships or insurance, you are donating to development, you're not entitled to anything, these are just gifts from the benevolent leader, and second thing to remember is that what is release anyway?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Store Citizer : Slenderman Strikes.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

SeaDart posted:

Free fly week starts this weekend for their big expo thing, and I want to try it with some friends. Does it still run terribly poorly on modern systems? I haven’t been able to upgrade from a 1070 but I have a 10700 And 32GB of RAM.

it runs the same as it used to, i find.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Going back to the Hull E capacity: Let's imagine that it's in the game and that travel times aren't ludicrously long. If you bought every single thing at every single trading outpost or whatever that's currently in the game, would you even be able to fill it?

There's been ongoing talk by citizens for a long time about how limited trade resources are so I'm pretty sure that you could empty the entire server of all trade goods at this point without even filling half the capacity.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Wasn't there a whole lot of talk about a Hull-E costing the equivalent of several hundred dollars per trip in fuel? :allears:

Also can't help but notice that Elite Dangerous: gently caress You Roberts is the top seller on my Steam store today.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Chocobo posted:

Also can't help but notice that Elite Dangerous: gently caress You Roberts is the top seller on my Steam store today.

Impossible. According to the ED forums, nobody uses Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Dwesa posted:

Some would probably cheer it as another level of realism. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to sell insurance as a subscription for real money, but release won't happen anyway and whales won't lose their chariots.

But didn't they? Like I think some ships came out with a 24 month insurance, and they changed that once the ship and game weren't out after 24 months. Then at some point the introduced Lifetime Insurance. Then at some point they introduced Warbonds, and made Warbonds inherit insurance status.

So once you melt a ship with LTI, the next ship you buy with Warbond also gets LTI. Wasn't that why one of the golfcarts sold so well - because it came with LTI and people just melted it to get LTI on more expensive ships?