Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
Can I add the vanilla expanded mods to an existing save?

vv :bisonyes:

jerman999 fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Yeah. I've done so in the past. It all slots in nicely. Or should at least!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Double post, but whatever.

Guy who signed up to raid my current colony apparently got high as balls before loading into the drop pod. But he also got loaded while in transit. So when the drop pod crashed to the ground, he just popped out as a permanent vegetable.

Not that he's a great loss because he's a pyromaniac, so rip in piss.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Leal posted:

*Record scratch* Hi, you're probably wondering how I got here

And thats the story on how I took care of my bug problem

What kind of biome is that that has sand but also pine trees?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Moon Slayer posted:

What kind of biome is that that has sand but also pine trees?

Boreal something or other on a large body of water (coastline), probably.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Yeah I'm in boreal with an eastern coast, in the mountains.

It owns

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Randy in my current game has been fond of sending wave after wave of assholes against my gates, so I've had a lot of bodies for organ harvesting. Well, I added a mod that lets me harvest brains as well.

Each one of those pink things next to the research tables is the brain of a long-dead foe. These brains are boosting the research speed of the tables in the middle by over +1200%, and the ones on the end by "only" ~960%.

It's probably a war crime to harvest the brains of your fallen enemies to enslave them to a research bench for the rest of eternity. And if it isn't, then it really should be.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
What's the best way to capture people alive? I need to practice medical skills and get them raised up

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

There isn't really a way to guarantee live prisoners; there's a flat chance a pawn just dies outright when they're downed. But you can minimize it by using low-damage high-ROF weapons since each individual hit is far less likely to explode someone's brain or blow limbs clean off and killing them from outright damage before they even get downef, and blunt melee damage tends to give the best odds for capturing pawns that do survive being downed since they'll be bleeding a lot less. By the time endgame death scaling though its ultimately just pure RNG and you'll be lucky to see even one in ten as a survivor no matter what you use.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
You can also use a physic shock lance to drop them.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
I have some mod installed that has flamethrower turrets. When 50+ tribals path through the flame range I generally can fill my prison. I'm pretty sure burn injuries will quickly down attackers due to pain shock.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Theres also the mod Custom Death Randomness that let's you get rid of that mechanic entirely if you prefer Fun over game balance

E: VVV Oh sick, I don't think I've looked at my storyteller settings since B18, I should look into that

Danaru fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 19, 2021

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
It’s also a storyteller option on game creation now. You can change the death on down to whatever you want, including just turning it off.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
There's also Vanilla Expanded Weapons - Non Lethal

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Is anyone familiar with the SOS2 mod? My current colony is "stuck" halfway through Ultra-tech research until I can find an Archotech Spore and then build an uplink to connect to it, which will evidently un-hide a bunch of hidden research.

Where do you find an archotech spore? Or how do you build one? Do I just need to get on with it and start constructing my grand space station and hope that I find something worthwhile in orbit?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Next time a psychic drone event happens you should get a notification from your ship that it found the source, which is a super beefy archotech ship.

If you successfully fight it, board it, and hack the AI you can build the Spore.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

DoubleNegative posted:

Randy in my current game has been fond of sending wave after wave of assholes against my gates, so I've had a lot of bodies for organ harvesting. Well, I added a mod that lets me harvest brains as well.

Each one of those pink things next to the research tables is the brain of a long-dead foe. These brains are boosting the research speed of the tables in the middle by over +1200%, and the ones on the end by "only" ~960%.

It's probably a war crime to harvest the brains of your fallen enemies to enslave them to a research bench for the rest of eternity. And if it isn't, then it really should be.
But... why? The tech tree isn't that big.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

Not if you have >150 mods!!!!

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
Is this thread in the OP about storytellers still accurate? Cassandra & Phoebe ramp up their raids & events based on your wealth AND time, but Randy only looks at wealth, not time?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
The parameters should be fully visible in custom storytellers now no?

"Adaptation"

lurksion fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 19, 2021

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

FnF posted:

Is this thread in the OP about storytellers still accurate? Cassandra & Phoebe ramp up their raids & events based on your wealth AND time, but Randy only looks at wealth, not time?
It is yeah, though the custom storyteller settings make it easier to adjust the other two as need be. There's a wide assortment of modded storytellers too if Randy alone doesn't suit you.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Does anyone have any photos or video of Alpha4-7 footage?

I recall in the first Rimworld thread they talked about how there was a fear mechanic, similar to he needs bar. You could either make the colonists happy with a nice fort or afraid with people being tortured on display, but Tynan removed the mechanic? I think I bought Rimworld Alpha access at 7 so I never saw the mechanic, but I am interested in its history.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Next time a psychic drone event happens you should get a notification from your ship that it found the source, which is a super beefy archotech ship.

If you successfully fight it, board it, and hack the AI you can build the Spore.

:cheers: Thanks!

CapnAndy posted:

:shepface: To be fair, those numbers are being boosted by "only" 50% because that's all Archotech-level research

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Even with 300+ mods the brain research mod is pretty overpowered. With the giant brain module you will absolutely chew through basically the entire tree in like maybe an ingame week.

I speak from experience.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

There's one that does something similar, but uses an AI core. I'm not sure if they stack but I only ever use one and it doesn't feel too OP with my insane number of mods

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Jarvisi posted:

What's the best way to capture people alive? I need to practice medical skills and get them raised up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAaT366cAdU&t=1793s

This dude has a lot of good stuff on his channel, but I linked you specifically to the point where he uses his heat-based recruitment device...
Have a long maze with obstacles that take time to get through, and a heat source like burning stuff. This will give raiders heatstroke without any major injuries (mostly) and can give you plenty of subjects.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

There's one that does something similar, but uses an AI core. I'm not sure if they stack but I only ever use one and it doesn't feel too OP with my insane number of mods

There's also a patch for the brain in a jar mod that makes the bonus not quite as insane.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Dunno-Lars posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAaT366cAdU&t=1793s

This dude has a lot of good stuff on his channel, but I linked you specifically to the point where he uses his heat-based recruitment device...
Have a long maze with obstacles that take time to get through, and a heat source like burning stuff. This will give raiders heatstroke without any major injuries (mostly) and can give you plenty of subjects.

Francis owns, and his last play through ended with him doing the ship AND the royal defense ending at the same time. It was very exciting

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
You guys wanna do a succession game in LP? We'd have to synchronize mods and decide on biome ahead of time but it could be fun.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

CapnAndy posted:

You guys wanna do a succession game in LP? We'd have to synchronize mods and decide on biome ahead of time but it could be fun.

Long ago there was a version of this in the thread, where an identical SA-themed pawn set was used by several posters to embark to either the same tile on the same planet seed, or tiles which matched closely within a range of biome traits, with periodical updates. It definitely lived up to the 'story simulator' label on the game!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Spent the better part of today for Recycle Factory. Breaking it on down:

Everything is put in on the left side. As it moves to the right any organic bodies are put into a bottom crate where the meat grinders shred them all down. Everything then gets put back into the mainline, mainly so any clothing the bodies had on are sent to the top crate, along with mechanoid bodies. They are disassembled into their base parts and continue on the line.

In the middle, any rotten bodies and metal chunks are sent to the bottom crate to be smelted or turned into fertilizer. Any stone chunks are sent to the top crate where they are turned into bricks. Anything that isn't granite is sent to an art printer that creates sculptures.

On the right side, all food items are sent to a crate on top to be turned into nutrient solution and protein mash. On the bottom is a general assembler that takes in any materials needed to make components, advance components, high explosive shells, uranium fuel pods, drugs and all textiles to make cowboy hats.

Use all parts of the raid.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Do you recycle biocoded weapons as well?

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
That's a nice setup. I've been using the Rimfactory Chemfuel Reclaimers (?) along with Rimfellar and just turning everything into Chemfuel. Having it automated with drones and conveyer belts was completely worth the effort.

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

Speaking of recycling biocoded weapons, does anybody know a way to smelt biocoded weapons but not ones bicoded to my own guys?

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I have a very bad kludge for that that I'm not entirely satisfied with it because it requires certain qualifiers. But anyways, I first create a stockpile for all biocoded weapons that I then exclude monoswords and zeus hammers from because these are my preferred weapons I want my colonists to equip. Then I create another stockpile zone near it that is for all monoswords and zeus hammers that are normal quality or below. I then set a bill for my smelter that will smelt down those weapons, making sure the radius is restricted to those stockpiles only.

Finally, I build shelves in my colonists bedrooms to accept only biocoded zeus hammers and monoswords that are good quality and above. This results in all the junk/non equipable biocoded gear getting smelted down and the gear you want to keep safely stored away. It's definitely not perfect though and I've had wanted gear get smelted down if someone happens to get downed and drops their weapon in the stockpile zone and another pawn smelted it down when I was t paying attention.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Ah, I spent ages trying to troubleshoot some lag spikes in the game. (300-600ms spikes, when the game otherwise ran at 300-360 tps for the most part.)
After a ton of experimenting, I ended up discovering that one of my characters had gotten their backstory changed, and was marked as unable to be social, despite being able to trade and etc.
And I noticed that every single lag spike was when he finished a job. So I killed him, and the lag spikes are gone.

I guess maybe when sorting mods, or installing some his backstory got nuked, and he got assigned a different one + became corrupt, somehow. (Character editing him did nothing.)
Fun!

By the way, I don't suppose anyone knows if there's a way/mod to set up allowances for certain materials? (Sorta like how humanlike meat defaults to off, for cooking menus.)
I'd love it if my stuff menu when building didn't get cluttered up with 5 different types of gems/blocks because I dismantled some ruin and have 12 slate blocks, and I'd especially love it if I could just globally enable/disable certain materials from crafting.
I killed and butchered a tiberium-muffalo that wandered in, and of course it's meat defaulted to usable, so now a bunch of my pawns are complaining that they ate grainy, tiberium-y meat. (Thankfully with no bad effect other than mood.)
It's just kind of tedious to have to go through every single crafting recipe/etc to disable use of niche materials, especially when some of them can be very problematic. (Morphsilk, humanlike leather, etc.)

It would be neat if there was just a manager where I could globablly go 'jade/quartz/gems can only be used for crafts/art, don't populate the build-stuff menu with them', and stuff like that.
It feels very arbitrary which materials default to on, and which default to off, especially when you've got a bunch of mods in the mix.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

I'm starting to loathe Recycle Factory

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Leal posted:

I'm starting to loathe Recycle Factory

The Static Quality (sic) mod has an option to disable those masterwork notifications, which is the only reason I have it.

And also sigh: New colony, and the stutter fuckery started again after a while in. Can't narrow the issue beyond 'Verse.AI.ThinkNode:TryIssueJobPackage' is the offender, and it's not possible to dig deeper without a transpiler and it only applies to a couple specific pawns, which varies.
It's just so frustrating how the game runs buttery smooth for a pretty long time until it just suddenly goes straight to rear end because of the stutter. All I really can narrow down is that suddenly one pawn just murders the framerate, and if I kill him everything's fine again. But that really sucks.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

SubNat posted:

And also sigh: New colony, and the stutter fuckery started again after a while in. Can't narrow the issue beyond 'Verse.AI.ThinkNode:TryIssueJobPackage' is the offender, and it's not possible to dig deeper without a transpiler and it only applies to a couple specific pawns, which varies.
It's just so frustrating how the game runs buttery smooth for a pretty long time until it just suddenly goes straight to rear end because of the stutter. All I really can narrow down is that suddenly one pawn just murders the framerate, and if I kill him everything's fine again. But that really sucks.

Might just be poorly-optimized rimworld code?

What you describe often happens if you have lots of impossible jobs queued, especially if they involve things very far apart... Like if there are a bunch of animals flagged to tame, but no valid food stockpiled, because the handler first checks whether they can path to each flagged animal and then pulls up that animal's foodtypes list to search for food.

So every time the pawn sweeps through their job priorities and looks for an available task, they end up running dozens/hundreds of pathfinding searches all over the map, which all end in [nope can't do this job... what's next on the list? same poo poo I just tried to do 50x identical jobs, 0.5 seconds ago? cool.] which accomplish nothing except loving your framerate sideways.

...figured this out using dubs performance analyzer to narrow down which jobs were spiking the CPU use and what the trigger was, but it's a very hit-and-miss process

Also in general what kills core rimworld performance is "too much pathfinding" so lategame colonies get much better performance on a mountain map where half of the map is simply inaccessible. Just make sure to give the raiders something to target that isn't behind 5km of labyrinth bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Yeah, but the issue is that it's just 1 specific pawn that triggers the issue, even though he's not doing any specific or exclusive jobs. That's the thing I find so strange, none of the other pawns are generating these obscene things.
If I kill him off, or have him drafted for extended periods of time there's no issue. I just wish it'd throw an exception or something to the log so I could see atleast what he was trying to do.

I'd believe it was some poor coding if it happened consistently across multiple pawns, but each time it's specifically just been the first pawn on the colonist bar that gets, for the lack of a better word, corrupt.
Murdered him off with a destroy command and bamf, the giant spikes are gone.

e: Now and then I've seen people mentioning corrupt apparel and etc, so I wonder if it's in any way related.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 22, 2021