Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Josh Christ posted:

Bubbles' sister letting him come up th stairs out of the basement is the only happy ending in the whole show

oh so this is how he moved to Saskatchewan and became a Trailer Park Boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

honestly i think a big part of this is that there's a lot of background "poo poo is hosed" going on in the wire and it depends on how you read it between "intentional condemnation" and "actual celebration" which depends on how much you think the author is dead and how much the author is a moron. (the answer is yes to both)

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Virgin Chapocels: Raise $100K for Palestine

Chad Neolib Vaushites: Raise over 2x that for Palestine
https://twitter.com/VaushV/status/1394700750492635138

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
cheese deserved his fate

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Euphoriaphone posted:

does vaush have a pod cast

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

joepinetree posted:

When Namond is shown as actually living in quite a bit of comfort, with video games, fancy clothes, etc. but remaining in the drug trade because of his mother's pressure, and then thriving when Colvin takes over, is that an individual character beat?
doesnt Namond’s mom pressure him to get into the drug trade after the barksdale organization tells her they are going to be cutting back on how much money they will be giving her?

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

tokin opposition posted:

and what does he think about The Wire?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Ringo Roadagain posted:

doesnt Namond’s mom pressure him to get into the drug trade after the barksdale organization tells her they are going to be cutting back on how much money they will be giving her?

She pressures him to get involved in the drug trade from the start even when money is flowing, telling him he's a soldier like his dad. When the barksdales cut her off he says that he needs to go ask for his own corner.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

tokin opposition posted:

my bad, vaush is only an internet cum warrior, not a copecaster

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
can’t wait til they start talking poo poo about breaking bad :twisted:

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Euphoriaphone posted:

tbf Felix's stream was only 13hrs

also Vaush sucks and I wish I never had to think about him ever again but credit where credit is due, good on him for raising the money

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The Wire is a solid Garak and Bashir episode but it's no Civil Defense.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Citations adam please speak louder and clearer like Nima does

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Citations adam please speak louder and clearer like Nima does

okay i'll try

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

docbeard posted:

To be fair Bashir is barely in Civil Defense

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Grevling posted:

That's all well and good but Felix said The Wire is bad now.

they explicitly said the wire is good tv several times during that episode

critiquing something doesnt mean you think its poo poo

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Ringo Roadagain posted:

Unironically yes

And the only reason he actually gets out isn't Colvin offering, it's Wee Bey telling his wife she ever signs over custody and gives Namond a shot at a better life than his or she gets cut all the way off

His mom spends like half of her screen time either leaning on wee bey to try to get some poo poo or using his name to flex on people

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

docbeard posted:

I started watching ds9 the other day to fill time playing Diablo/Elite and I wasn't expecting "garak and Bashir are gay" to be so literal.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
What episode did they talk about the wire in?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Crankit posted:

What episode did they talk about the wire in?

The latest time for my stories

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
always love getting the inside scoop!

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

crepeface posted:

oh nice, they're TrueAnon listeners!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Josh Christ posted:

I started watching ds9 the other day to fill time playing Diablo/Elite and I wasn't expecting "garak and Bashir are gay" to be so literal.

the network or the show producers told andrew robinson to tone it down after his first few scenes with bashir.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

crepeface posted:

lol

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

guys they conclude the episode by sayign that the wire is still a good show its ok to like it

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I never finished the wire but c'mon:

mastershakeman posted:

they also hate season 2 for having the temerity to even glance at how the working class was falling apart and some people turning to crime out of desperation, because who gives a poo poo about those people they should have gone to college

I dont think even the most Obama-brained neolib would walk away from the wire thinking "those drug dealers should have gone to college instead" lmao I mean really

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

crepeface posted:

Saying the CIA destroyed everything is a limited hang out.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

crepeface posted:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Wolfsheim posted:

I dont think even the most Obama-brained neolib would walk away from the wire thinking "those drug dealers should have gone to college instead" lmao I mean really

what? tons of libs had issues with season 2 which focused on the polish union dockworkers. it's my favorite season

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

The newest QAnon Anonymous about Jim Caviezel is loving hilarious

https://soundcloud.com/qanonanonymous/episode-143-jim-caviezel-enter-the-cavortex-feat-dave-anthony

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

people's season rankings of the wire tell you a lot about how they grew up. unsurprisingly, people who grew up in good to great school districts think that season 4 is some incredible insight into how bad schools are rather than poo poo everyone else already knew. they also hate season 2 for having the temerity to even glance at how the working class was falling apart and some people turning to crime out of desperation, because who gives a poo poo about those people they should have gone to college

Wolfsheim posted:

To be fair here, when Frank has the argument with Bruce the lobbyist in season 2, it's pretty obvious that Bruce's solution to knuckle down and work harder the way his knife-sharpener grandfather did and put his kids through college, it's treated as exactly the sort of non-solution that it is. Is Frank in this situation because of decisions his grandfather made 70 years ago? Well, yeah, he is. Is there a way he could have chosen otherwise? Probably not.

Putting people out of work without any plan for how they'll be taken care of is shown as strictly evil throughout the show, even if no solution is presented.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-j5XWo1fPI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0TNshX6m1k

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/ebruenig/status/1394775844980154371?s=20

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Wolfsheim posted:

They absolutely do for the dockworkers whose jobs disappear

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Farm Frenzy posted:

guys they conclude the episode by sayign that the wire is still a good show its ok to like it

another classic wrong chapo take. only way it could be worse is if amber said it

I think whether people see value in what the wire presents depends on if you agree with ta nehisi (“tennessee”) coates about the inability for anything to ever get better. except that’s dumb because you can’t really point at how things are, even if they are accurate, and say with certainty that things will always stay that way because that’s how they are now and how they’ve always been. by stymying people like that you will impact their ability to make that change if you use your credibility to say things are hopeless, no point in you doing anything

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.

I'm only half way through but this is a pro click and suddenly makes me want to watch Person of Interest now that it sounds like everyone sharing a set with him has to be aware how close they are to being murdered

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
I was hoping carcetti would be some kind of littlefinger esque mastermind and instead he does absolutely nothing of consequence after having a whole season devoted to his election

I did like when cutty makes his appeal to avon and avon is like wtf all that for only 10k?? give this fool 20 :3:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

I was hoping carcetti would be some kind of littlefinger esque mastermind and instead he does absolutely nothing of consequence after having a whole season devoted to his election

I mean, that is a pretty dead on portrayal of municipal politics

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I mean, that is a pretty dead on portrayal of municipal politics

accurate portrayals of politics are not enjoyable just as enjoyable portrayals are not accurate

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Josh Christ posted:

Bubbles' sister letting him come up th stairs out of the basement is the only happy ending in the whole show

irl bubbles would have rotted in a cell after his cop buddies went by the book and charged him with second degree murder for accidentally killing his lover

“sorry bubs, we love ya, but this is what it means to be a good po-lice”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

endless time and attention paid to an election that makes no difference in the end... who'd have thought