Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
so paragon/renegade works different in me2 right? you should only pick a certain way and stick with it? i thought i remember reading something about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Speaking of Ashley again, I think the romance got cut off by telling her to stfu when she was racist or whatever. Liara immediately fell in love with Shepard just because I chose some paragon crap. Too bad my Shepard isn’t interested in a 100 year old virgin with a blue pussy.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

Kaidan does that too for female Shepards. The love interest stuff accelerates too quickly.

Playing through ME1 for the first time, yeah it was really weird going from "recruit Liara" -> "go on a mission to kill Liara's mom" -> "Liara says she's researched me and is super into me." Quite off-putting.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Bioware really wants you to gently caress the hot blue space babe because Liara's motivations in ME2 make zero sense otherwise.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

exquisite tea posted:

Bioware really wants you to gently caress the hot blue space babe because Liara's motivations in ME2 make zero sense otherwise.

Liara's just plain a different character in ME1 and ME2, and then they awkwardly try to jam both together in 3.

Similar to how Jacob is a completely different character in 2 and 3.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

axeil posted:

so paragon/renegade works different in me2 right? you should only pick a certain way and stick with it? i thought i remember reading something about that.

Not exactly. You should be mostly consistent if you want to pass the hardest checks, but also supposedly they've relaxed the requirements for those checks.

I've done several ME2 runs where I picked a mix of paragon and Renegade, as long as you stick with the same choice for the biggest decisions I believe you'll be fine

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

It was so overt that Fox News got the vapors over it iirc

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Blue Raider posted:

There are a few things in 1 that feel undercooked like that. I always though Saren was kind of unexplained too. He’s bad from the word go, but nothing about him is ever explained.

I like how they didn't even try to hide the fact that Saren was the villain, he looks like a robot and has the game over music as his theme, I'm surprised the council didn't even go "Hey why do you look like half a Geth all of a sudden".

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Also: any recommendations on romance options for femshep in ME2 and ME3? I romanced Kaidan in ME1 and in my original playthrough I went for Garrus which was sweet and wonderful but apparently if you don't go for him in ME2 you can't go after him in ME3.

Are Thane/Jacob worth investing in as a romance option for ME2? I'm thinking of trying Thane for ME2 even though he dies in ME3 but then I'm at a bit of a loss for what to do in ME3 since I don't think I'd want to go back to Kaidan after cheating on him like that.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

She's also the only character that can be romanced in all three games, by all genders at least, afaik. Also the only one with an arc that involves her changing over the course of all three games?

It's pretty clear she's supposed to be the canon love interest

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Elvis_Maximus posted:

She's also the only character that can be romanced in all three games afaik. Also the only one with an arc that involves her changing over the course of all three games?

It's pretty clear she's supposed to be the canon love interest

I always thought Garrus was canon for Femshep and Tali for Maleshep

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

axeil posted:

Are Thane/Jacob worth investing in as a romance option for ME2?

Firm no on Jacob.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Seemlar posted:

Firm no on Jacob.

Huh, okay. Is it really that bad? He's boring so I suppose the romance wouldn't be that good.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Is Ashley really racist or is that just a meme? She asked me whether it was ok to have foreign aliens on an Earth military ship exactly once and I told her to stfu and it was never brought up again. She has actually defended aliens several times since I always take her on missions.

As others have said, the "I can't tell the difference between the animals and aliens" is really bad, but yeah otherwise Ashley has been generally better than I remembered from playing the original. It feels like her mistrust is aimed more at the military/political branches of the other races than the races themselves. But then you get a few lines like the animals one and then you just want to shake her and tell her to not be a poo poo. She did get absolutely livid at the Terra Nova dipshit that tried to use Shanxi as an excuse to have a racist political platform, though. It'll be interesting to see the followups in 2 and 3 (rip Kaiden).

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 19, 2021

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Jacob arguably has the worst conclusion to any of the romances, including a Shepard who just wants to watch Kelly dance a little.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

axeil posted:

Are Thane/Jacob worth investing in as a romance option for ME2?

Heavy risk, but the priiiiize.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

axeil posted:

Huh, okay. Is it really that bad? He's boring so I suppose the romance wouldn't be that good.

He's fine in ME2, imo.

ME3 drops his character off a cliff.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Cythereal posted:

He's fine in ME2, imo.

ME3 drops his character off a cliff.

Doesn't he just straight up cheat on Shepard and start a family?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I'm thinking about romancing Jack in 2, but I have this memory of her romance being really weird/creepy. Am I misremembering it?

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
Ashley is more ignorant than outright racist, I don't get the impression that she hates aliens but she seems to have issues seeing them as fellow sapient creatures. I just don't like Ashley, tbh. It has less to do with her views on alien species and more just because she's a dumb hick military brat who thinks reading some Tennyson makes up for being a dumb hick military brat. I just find her such a boring "Ooh rah!" space marine trope.

Kaiden isn't especially interesting, but at least I feel like his back story coming up through biotic training in the ascension program to be more of a compelling character origin than Ashley "My whole family is soldiers and despite being poo poo on by the military we suck Alliance dick all day" Williams.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Doesn't he just straight up cheat on Shepard and start a family?

Yup. Only black love interest in the series, too!

Mass Effect is at least decently varied on the racial front for love interests. Jacob is black, Miranda is white, Ashley and Cortez are Hispanic, Traynor is Asian, and Kaidan is biracial white/Asian.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I mean, she's objectively not wrong that random other polities in the galaxy don't necessarily have humanity's best interests at heart, nor is she wrong to observe things like the 'client race' status quo of the Volus, for example, and think 'gee, that's not what I want for Humanity.'

But I've never been able to bring myself to play a full, or even mainly, renegade playthrough, so I'm not sure what she actually says. I always feel like too much of a monster when I lie to the Krogan about delicious fish on the Citadel.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

PunkBoy posted:

I'm thinking about romancing Jack in 2, but I have this memory of her romance being really weird/creepy. Am I misremembering it?

Possibly. The main thing that I remember about the Jack romance is that there's a trap option early on where she suggests the two of you gently caress - and if you take it she'll think you're like everyone else so actual romance is locked out.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

axeil posted:

I can't comment on the harder checks yet (the squad conflicts) but early on I'm still able to do every renegade check I've seen even though I'm like 95% paragon. I think they just made all checks across the board significantly lowered.

e- Also in a way I do appreciate that Jacob has some actual agency to his character. He doesn't wait around 6 months while you're in lockdown, possibly facing jail time, after a 'fling' before a suicide mission. It sucks the way they did it but I do like it when characters don't just exist in Shepard's orbit and do things you don't like

But yeah, handled badly I think.

DourCricket fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 19, 2021

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Simone Magus posted:

Not exactly. You should be mostly consistent if you want to pass the hardest checks, but also supposedly they've relaxed the requirements for those checks.

I've done several ME2 runs where I picked a mix of paragon and Renegade, as long as you stick with the same choice for the biggest decisions I believe you'll be fine
Yeah, my previous ME2 runs (original version) have ended up about 3:1 Paragon to Renegade and everything was unlockable. It helps if you're carrying over points from ME1 as well.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

DourCricket posted:

I can't comment on the harder checks yet (the squad conflicts) but early on I'm still able to do every renegade check I've seen even though I'm like 95% paragon. I think they just made all checks across the board significantly lowered.

Hardly one of the major event checks, but I did have to go and level a bit for my bad cop but not racist renegade Shep to tell the C-Sec officer to stop bothering the Hanar in the Citadel. I remember that being one that I had to level in the original version too.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

The Vile Stuff posted:

Hardly one of the major event checks, but I did have to go and level a bit for my bad cop but not racist renegade Shep to tell the C-Sec officer to stop bothering the Hanar in the Citadel. I remember that being one that I had to level in the original version too.

I was talking about ME2 in response to Axeil's question.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Isn't there a thing where the Asari aren't really blue space babes but they use psychic powers to make other races like them so to humans they appear as blue space babes?

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

SuperKlaus posted:

Isn't there a thing where the Asari aren't really blue space babes but they use psychic powers to make other races like them so to humans they appear as blue space babes?

There's a bachelor party on Illium consisting of a Human, Turian and Salarian who all talk about finding Asari attractive and all seem to see something different about why their species would find them attractive in the first place, so yeah, it's implied nobody can see what Asari actually look like but other Asari and every other species is somehow seeing them as resembling themselves.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I think people reading that conversation as "asari psychic sex field" are wrong, honestly. It's a commentary on how they recognise the features in asari that remind them of sexually attractive traits in their own species. Like humans are presumably like, "whoa, this alien has full lips" but salarians are more into the amphibian skin texture, while turians like the head crests.

It's like the romantic equivalent of how real life humans in the present day think animals with big eyes are cute, because we communicate extensively with our eyes and equate expressive eyes with a capacity for empathy.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Willatron posted:

There's a bachelor party on Illium consisting of a Human, Turian and Salarian who all talk about finding Asari attractive and all seem to see something different about why their species would find them attractive in the first place, so yeah, it's implied nobody can see what Asari actually look like but other Asari and every other species is somehow seeing them as resembling themselves.

This wouldn’t extend to general shape, though, as Liara wears human light armor in 1.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It's also a post-hoc justification for why this alien that just looks like Sexy Blue Human Woman is attractive to the far more alien species of the galaxy, though, so it's kinda silly. But I'm pretty sure that's the intended implication (and the only one that makes sense given asari can be, you know, photographed).

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

axeil posted:

Also: any recommendations on romance options for femshep in ME2 and ME3? I romanced Kaidan in ME1 and in my original playthrough I went for Garrus which was sweet and wonderful but apparently if you don't go for him in ME2 you can't go after him in ME3.

Are Thane/Jacob worth investing in as a romance option for ME2? I'm thinking of trying Thane for ME2 even though he dies in ME3 but then I'm at a bit of a loss for what to do in ME3 since I don't think I'd want to go back to Kaidan after cheating on him like that.

Thane loving rules and you should kiss him. Also you get a fail stepson in the process

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I forget, is there even a same sex relationship for female Shepard that isn't Liara until 3? So much for woke Bioware.

I wanna be space gay

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Android Blues posted:

It's also a post-hoc justification for why this alien that just looks like Sexy Blue Human Woman is attractive to the far more alien species of the galaxy, though, so it's kinda silly. But I'm pretty sure that's the intended implication (and the only one that makes sense given asari can be, you know, photographed).

It’s 100% the Star Trek thing where the alien chick is close enough to human to be attractive but alien enough to be safely exotic.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Doctor Nutt posted:

I forget, is there even a same sex relationship for female Shepard that isn't Liara until 3? So much for woke Bioware.

I wanna be space gay

I think it’s in one. That might be specifically what put a bug up Fox News’ rear end back in the day.

E, Nvm, I read the post wrong.

Blue Raider fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 19, 2021

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Doctor Nutt posted:

I wanna be space gay

Kelly will do a dance for you in ME2, that's it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Blue Raider posted:

I think it’s in one. That might be specifically what put a bug up Fox News’ rear end back in the day.

Nope it was just the sex scenes in general. Only "same sex" relationship in 1 is Liara for femshep which only sort of counts imo.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Piell posted:

The more important thing is getting her to feed your fish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Blue Raider posted:

This wouldn’t extend to general shape, though, as Liara wears human light armor in 1.

Yeah, they're definitely still generally human shaped. I agree with Android Blue's take and had a similar thought, the Turian specifically says he's into her head ridges, which humans can all see, and I like the idea that the Salarians are into their similar skin texture. That makes a lot more sense as the Asari are biotically inclined but actual psychic powers don't seem to be a thing in ME outside of a generous interpretation of Reaper indoctrination.

Piell posted:

Upon finishing ME2 last night and fulfilling all the requirements to unlock sexy stripper Kelly dances in your private cabin, I regret to inform everyone that they removed sexy stripper Kelly as a reward for not romancing anybody in ME2. RIP Sexy Stripper Kelly.