Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ruflux posted:

There's probably like a hundred different possible reasons for why this happened. The biggest one I've heard (and what some insiders seem to have brought up as well) is just simple budget cuts. Disney isn't doing as well as they should be financially due to, well, obvious reasons. Parks closed for a long while, live action productions halted, movie releases going all bust, etc. so they're slashing budgets where they can. Apparently TVA is unimportant enough to be heavily affected. Amphibia's season three budget was cut too, but because it was further along it was presumably too late to cut down the episode count.

Disney Channel and cable in general isn't doing so hot, true. Disney's definitely looking into getting out of TV altogether in favor of Disney Plus. The only metrics that they care about for viewership are apps like DisneyNOW, people buying their shows on iTunes or even social media buzz. Some shows still do really well with their target demo, even on the channel, but it seems neither TOH nor Amphibia really took off the way Gravity Falls did, for example.

Gravity Falls. Disney was obviously bent on recreating the success of that show for a while, greenlighting shows that had the adventure and the lore aspects built-in, from new creators and specifically Gravity Falls alumni. DuckTales '17, The Owl House, and Amphibia are all pretty obvious attempts at making a show similar to that, but it seems like the target demo of 6-11 year olds is more interested in sitcom style shows like Big City Greens. Matt Braly outright said Disney is now looking for their own The Loud House. He had to fight to even keep the less mundane not-everyday life aspects in play on his show. Dana Terrace talked much of the same.

I could probably go on. You could make an educated guess that with how much Dana's vision for the show differed from the end product that the production was not exactly smooth sailing and maybe Disney just wanted to be done with the show as a result. Dana also said that she found working with multiple bosses that all gave conflicting notes on everything very frustrating. Maybe DTVA can't even agree with itself what they want TOH to be as a show and as a result it's just getting axed.

Budget cuts from covid seems to make the most sense as well as the shift back away from serialized stories back to more episodic ones. It's all well and good that The Owl House and Amphibia can generate buzz, but if it's not generating the buzz with the groups that they want to target for mech and ad sales, then its mostly irrelevant how well they're doing. Filioni's Star Wars stuff can get away with continuing to be serialized since they target a much broader demo and fit into a larger picture for merch sales on the entire brand.

Cartoon Network is sorta in the same boat too since Infinity Train has been shifting too far out of its original target demo for CN, though one hopes other brands under the umbrella of AT&T would consider shifting it over to something like HBO Max proper.

The only advantage both have atm despite not having a breakout hit like The Loud House is that they have their own, relatively large and successful streaming services while Nickelodeon has to settle for Paramount+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Xelkelvos posted:

Budget cuts from covid seems to make the most sense as well as the shift back away from serialized stories back to more episodic ones. It's all well and good that The Owl House and Amphibia can generate buzz, but if it's not generating the buzz with the groups that they want to target for mech and ad sales, then its mostly irrelevant how well they're doing. Filioni's Star Wars stuff can get away with continuing to be serialized since they target a much broader demo and fit into a larger picture for merch sales on the entire brand.

Cartoon Network is sorta in the same boat too since Infinity Train has been shifting too far out of its original target demo for CN, though one hopes other brands under the umbrella of AT&T would consider shifting it over to something like HBO Max proper.

The only advantage both have atm despite not having a breakout hit like The Loud House is that they have their own, relatively large and successful streaming services while Nickelodeon has to settle for Paramount+
If I had to make a hot take prediction, I'd say kids networks going forward will be more willing to do serial stories if they're miniseries (like Over the Garden Wall and Midnight Gospel). Then it's "event" programming and they can do the occasional marathon of it, and not have to worry about long-term audience retention.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Disney has a long history of viewing their TV stuff as disposable, which to be fair, most children's entertainment does have a limited lifespan before they have to either end or reinvent itself, but the three season rule does seem to be really lowballing the potential lifespan of its shows. It's even weirder when they're doing shows with broader appeal across age ranges and still insisting on capping them off and wrapping them up. I guess the overall company as a whole sees TV as small potatoes and they have way bigger fish to fry in terms of IPs.

Cartoon Network is gonna have some rocky times with ATT trying to divest itself of Time Warner, and I think I've heard about rocky stuff with CN's current leadership, so I don't know how things are gonna go there, or if there's going to be much separation between it and HBOMax.

And then with Netflix I never really have a firm idea of what's going on, but that's the third company that's investing big into cartoons. I don't really know of any other company making a lot of shows. I guess I am also being dismissive of shows being made for real little kids, which I think Nickelodeon still does despite giving up on the types of shows I preferred.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Netflix is all about volume and they're making an effort to have X number of original animated films a year and X number of animated series. Their actual delivery and marketing of said cartoons are cold, sterile and mechanical, and rely too much on The Algorithm, but i don't think you have to worry about Netflix pulling out of animation. Just don't expect the average series to get more than two seasons, especially with Dreamworks changing partnerships to Hulu. Dragon Prince might be the last kids series on Netflix to run as long as 7 seasons.

Also Netflix's primary demographic is males 18-34 and boys 6-14, so while you do get shows like Aggretsuko and City of Ghosts, you also see shows like Tuca and Bertie get the axe, and a LOT of greenlights of anime adaptations of video games (Dragon's Dogma recently, DOTA, Tomb Raider and Splinter Cell on the way). And aside from Aggretsuko or Rillakkuma, the anime Netflix funds are generally 'dude anime'.. Blood of Zeus, Ultraman, that janky CG Ghost in the Shell SAC sequel, the upcoming Spriggan adaptation, Record of Ragnarok. And for whatever reason, a Cyberpunk 2077 anime from Trigger.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 18, 2021

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Meanwhile, in Owl House Shippuden
https://twitter.com/Polygon/status/1395020195148836874?s=19

Warner is putting up some news. This one, My Adventures with Superman, is going straight to HBO Max. Wouldn't be surprised if other cartoons get revealed today.

also there's some matt reeves, bruce timm and jj abrams batman cartoon, aiming for more noir stuff.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MorningMoon posted:

Warner is putting up some news. This one, My Adventures with Superman, is going straight to HBO Max. Wouldn't be surprised if other cartoons get revealed today.

also there's some matt reeves, bruce timm and jj abrams batman cartoon, aiming for more noir stuff.

That looks very Voltron/She-Ra. I like it. Jack Quaid wouldn’t be my first voice choice for Superman though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

How was the most recent Voltron series anyway? I haven’t heard a lot of good things overall.

Though speaking of which, if you haven’t already you should check out the original anime Go Lion that the series was adapted from. For an 80’s anime it’s actually pretty good (albeit very dark and violent)

Despite some backlash from fans the Netflix She-Ra is actually my favorite entry in the He-Man franchise. A pity Dreamworks has gone over to Hulu as I would have liked to see them do a similar take on the He-Man side of things.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Voltron was pretty troubled. Aired 78 episodes over 2 and a half years as 8 seasons, so that schedule was far too hectic. First 2 or 4 seasons are good enough before it starts to falls apart.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MorningMoon posted:

Voltron was pretty troubled. Aired 78 episodes over 2 and a half years as 8 seasons, so that schedule was far too hectic. First 2 or 4 seasons are good enough before it starts to falls apart.

I don’t care about spoilers so how exactly does it fall apart? Also did that show at least get a proper ending or was it just cancelled eventually?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
i'm gonna recommend Kamen Rider again. Try the first two episodes of W, they're on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr77oI4DP1E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_c5Z897k3g

(the subtitles are built into Youtube, not hard-encoded, so turn them on)

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 19, 2021

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
This habbit of dumping the first to eps of a show and then running off, arms flailing like The Joker, is a frustrating show of power for Toei and as such its very them.

There's littearly nothing stopping them from putting the show out in its entirity or giving it to another, non locked, streaming service.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 19, 2021

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The CycloneJoker.

Or Joker from Blade.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

This habbit of dumping the first to eps of a show and then running off, arms flailing like The Joker, is a frustrating show of power for Toei and as such its very them.

There's littearly nothing stopping them from putting the show out in its entirity or giving it to another streaming service .

Hell, Tsuburaya’s been doing it for at least 2 years now. I’m not sure why Toei is so bad at this (is there even one fully completed show on their channel at the moment?)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Kuuga and '71 are fully subbed on Tubi and Shout Factory, with Ryuki and 01 coming "soon".

Tsubaraya know what they're doing, which is why I haven't already become the Juggler.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
They have a few shows done but they're all (afik) third tier stuff from the 80's and none of its subbed to completion (besides the KR movies they have out because those only have the one thing to put out).

Also Tubi is region locked outside of the use so (fart noises).

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

MorningMoon posted:

I love Lois' design there. She's rocking that pixie cut.
Also someone on the comment section made a good observation. She basically looks a lot like Luz from Owl House in this shot.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 19, 2021

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

down to the blue/white striped top and leggings... what did they mean by this

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
"Give me a character design for Lois!", the producer yelled in an unclear voice.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

MorningMoon posted:

I quite like that Style.

Wonder who will voice Lex. Would not mind if they got Clancy Brown back.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Michael Rosenbaum as both Flash and Lex.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

I quite like that Style.

Wonder who will voice Lex. Would not mind if they got Clancy Brown back.

John Cryer please. Ironically, Jesse Eisenberg voicing a young Luthor would also work

Dog King
May 19, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Why is the black ginger thing so consistent? It can't just be confirmation bias at this point

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Luz Lane.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Dog King posted:

Why is the black ginger thing so consistent? It can't just be confirmation bias at this point

Literally someone on my twitter dash was saying the same thing, mentioning that they would've rather had Lois be black instead because of how it's starting to weird them out at this point

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The cynical answer is that Gingers are technically a minority but one that no one gives a poo poo about so doing a race swap to a ginger character to make them Black instead is considered the safe route for adding diversity to an adaptation without having to create a new character instead or changing the ethnicity of a character that might cause more in the way of controversy

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Dog King posted:

Yeah, it's weird. It happening every now and then with old properties getting revived/rebooted wouldn't be particularly notable but it seems to be more like, it's almost a rule that it will happen. It's not like they're restricted in which character is changed for better diversity in the cast, so why is it always the redheads? All the usual suspects will whine and moan no matter what so it's not like they're picking the least memorable character either.

Also I like Luz Lane but drat that design is approaching uncanny resemblance territory. I wonder how it came about, even? The way she dresses is pretty much dead-on for one of the pitch designs for Luz, with the striped tee and black leggings. Not that it's too dissimilar to her actual clothes either.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Jimmy Olsen transforms from Ginger to Black and then, mark my words, he'll get ELECTRICITY POWERS before the show is over.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

MorningMoon posted:

same energy

there's even a journalism B plot in this episode :tinfoil:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Jimmy was/is black on Supergirl so it might just be a Modern Branding thing.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Is there a black ginger thing? The only other thing I remember is April, who wasn't really ginger until the CGI TMNT, and might've been black or mixed in the original comic before Rise had her as black and the only human main character (and I think the turtles might've been more minority VAs, but I can't say for sure).

I guess maybe it could just be because if you're swapping the race of a character for a new series, odds are you don't wanna make a big thing about it or imagine much about how the character's new race would impact their life, so you'd do it for some side character or background character. Possibly one that was already distinct from the rest of the cast by having a different color hair.

Bad answer that poisons my mind: Anagrams.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The black/ginger thing is a racist talking point that the right wing like to bring up as white erasure.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

The black/ginger thing is a racist talking point that the right wing like to bring up as white erasure.

You're right, though it is still kinda weird how often it happens to specifically ginger characters

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I only other one I can think of is Wally West in the comics that then got translated over to the TV show, but even then that got reversed (so there's now Wally and Wallace West)

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Now here's some good content (Frogtent?)

https://twitter.com/Radrappy/status/1395114893167108099?s=20

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Character designs from the new Superman

Small girl is apparently part of the Newsboy/girl/people Legion, but don't quote me on it, Just what I heard and is probably just a theory.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 20, 2021

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

SlothfulCobra posted:

Is there a black ginger thing? The only other thing I remember is April, who wasn't really ginger until the CGI TMNT, and might've been black or mixed in the original comic before Rise had her as black and the only human main character (and I think the turtles might've been more minority VAs, but I can't say for sure).

I guess maybe it could just be because if you're swapping the race of a character for a new series, odds are you don't wanna make a big thing about it or imagine much about how the character's new race would impact their life, so you'd do it for some side character or background character. Possibly one that was already distinct from the rest of the cast by having a different color hair.

Bad answer that poisons my mind: Anagrams.

There's more but off the top of my head there's MCU Mary Jane.

It is weird at this point but it's probably one of those ideas that somehow end up embedded in the creative subconscious, like the black person = lightning powers thing

BioEnchanted posted:

Jimmy Olsen transforms from Ginger to Black and then, mark my words, he'll get ELECTRICITY POWERS before the show is over.

Exactly.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Larryb posted:

I don’t care about spoilers so how exactly does it fall apart? Also did that show at least get a proper ending or was it just cancelled eventually?

I dropped the show when season 3 basically started by redoing the first arc of the show. Apparently, I made the right choice.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I dropped the show when season 3 basically started by redoing the first arc of the show. Apparently, I made the right choice.

Yeah, that's probably the ideal stopping point. My ramble on the show's issues:
so first 26 episodes are pretty great. Then season 2 finale ends with the leader, Shiro, seemingly dying to almost kill the big bad. This leads into Keith, the pilot of the Red Lion taking over. It takes 3 episodes for the team to adjust with a new lineup, while they're fighting the equivalent of Azula, Ty Lee and Mai from ATLA, one evil AU episode, an episode about how Shiro is actually alive and gets back with the team, a big lore flashback episode, and then we just take Keith out of the main cast so Shiro is back to leading.
The Azula equivalent kinda spends the rest of his time being the actual joke definition of morally gray "evil, but attractive, so who knows" with a slave planet but sometimes everyone acts like he has a point.
The pacing is all kinds of hosed for the four remaning seasons.
We spend nine episodes on a dreadful run back to earth where they don't have the fast travel, so it's just kinda edgy and sad. It's sorta cool, but if the show's grinding on you then this will be absolutely awful.
Much like this show's Azula's morals bouncing back and forth for a while, this show's Princess Allura spends way too long on a heel turn fakeout, only to be killed at the end.
They made a big deal in the leadup to the final season about how Shiro was gay all along and they'd go into it. He gets 1 flashback where his (implied) husband is around, and then we find out he died. In the final there's 1 frame where he married some new character.
The cast just doesn't feel like they get room to grow after those first two seasons. There's some cool hints of stuff here and there, specially in the stretch when Keith has to be the leader, but it never pays off.
can't really remember why, but i was very upset during the final few episodes. Just couldn't enjoy anything that was going on.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Never watched Voltron but I heard that the original lead writer left at one point which probably explains things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

If I recall correctly the titular robot is barely even in the show too, like it's brutally obvious that the people making it had just taken their own unrelated sci-fi concept and made just the bare minimum amount of changes and lip service so they could call it a Voltron show